4.0 out of 5 stars Aspire S7 - Beautiful but not completely perfect.
Published 21 months ago by B. Hines

Published 12 months ago by rick macneil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Aspire S7 - Beautiful but not completely perfect., March 9, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire S7-391-9427 13-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (2.0 GHz Intel Core i7-3537U Processor, 4GB DDR3, 256 GB SSD, Windows 8) White (Personal Computers)
The Aspire S7 line has quite a few models with flavors of processors, screen size, and what not. One of the newer models is the 9427 iteration. I have used it for about 3 weeks now, and the S7 is a very well designed product, well thought out, and durable. The aluminum chassis is a things of beauty and durability, making the ultrabook lightweight as well, 2.8lbs. The bottom is a tough plastic or polycarbonate which is well designed and looks very good. The cooling vents were well thought out, the hot air is pushed out the back, so using the laptop on your lap is very comfortable with no heat buildup. The S7 9427 comes with network 10/100MB and HDMI to VGA dongles, along with a leather like carrying bag, and a Bluetooth mouse. These added goodies are very welcomed in this kit. There are some major plus sides to this Ultrabook, but a few flaws, such as life no thing of beauty is not without those. The bullet list to be concise:

Pro's:
Fast Processer i7 2.0
4GB RAM
256GB SSD
Dolby sound, awesome speakers, great placement on the sides
HD 10 point touch screen, accurate and mind blowing resolution
2.8lbs
2 USB 3.0 ports
HDMI
Gorilla Glass
Illuminated Keyboard

Middle: Battery life has been around 4.5 hours with wifi on, on balanced mode do not believe anyone telling you the life is 6-7 hours. You will not see that with normal use and wifi on. One of the points for accessories, the Acer store has a second battery that screws in on the bottom which is flat, contoured, and has a battery life indicator on the side. It adds on about 3-4 hours, when used as reported on the Acer forums from people that have bought them, looks very nice it fit and form. I am purchasing one, price is $149.

Con's:
SD slot has the SD card sticking out, it does not click in. Not major, but should click in all the way.
Fans get loud at times, but this can be adjusted by software settings. Make sure to have the latest BIOS update.
Accupad, touchpad, (or whatever you want to call it) can be a little annoying with the clicks takes a little getting used to - however, no accupad has been flawless even MBA. The Elan software can be adjusted for the swipes, clicks, and gestures though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Review, June 13, 2013
Although many have commented on the short battery life, I wanted to concentrate on the second battery sold by Acer.

Acer does offer a second battery on the Acer store online for $150. In my opinion, it is definitely worth the money.

I did a few drain tests of the battery to see how long it lasted. All testes were done in default power saving mode and playing a movie on repeat.

Laptop itself with wifi on: 3 hours 45 minutes
Laptop with second battery, wifi on: 7 hours 31 minutes
Laptop with second battery, airplane mode on: 8 hours 21 minutes

I do have photos available: https://sites.google.com/site/stevestechreview/home/acer-aspire-s7-391

4.0 out of 5 stars USB to Ethernet FLAW & "Fishy" Price Fixing, March 15, 2013
chris_sf (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Most people buying this computer are the type of people seeking the best of the best. This computer meets those expectations in many ways so I will give it 4 stars DESPITE the appalling "secret" I am about to reveal:

The USB to Ethernet "goodie" dongle included with this computer is USB 2.0 and not USB 3.0!!

You might not think it would make much of a difference, but you would be wrong. When I bought a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter (for approx. $30) my speed when wired went from 24 MBPS to 36+ MBPS. In fact, no matter what time of day or night I use my computer now, the wired speed never falls below 36 MBPS -- whereas before I felt thankful to get 24 MBPS (sometimes it would drop as low as 16 MBPS!). So, a more than 50% difference in wired internet speed.

What a deceiving trick! To buy a top of the line computer, pay top dollar, and then be given a hand-me-down USB 2.0 chip set adapter for Ethernet as a supposed "goodie" when the computer itself is wired for USB 3.0. To confirm it's a USB 2.0 adapter versus being a USB 3.0 adapter, go to your device manager while your included (and outdated) "free" Acer Ethernet adapter is plugged in. That will tell you.

Shame on you, ACER.

UPDATE RE FISHY PRICING AS OF 4/1/13:
I got this computer for $1,456 (the price at that time was fluctuating daily between that price and its current $1,539). So, I'm wondering if Square Trade and Amazon have some sort of deal going....because the moment the price drops below $1,500 the cost of the Square Trade warranty drops from $299 to $181 for the exact same coverage. Fishy, fishy price fixing. BUT -- THE COMPUTER OVERALL IS GREAT... even with its flaws. At this point in time, you literally can't find better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight Powerhouse, July 31, 2014
---- 1 month update ---- 1 month update ---- 1 month update ----

Compelled to report that my S7-391-9427 is...doing great! Either I'm just very lucky (doubtful) or all the reported 'design flaws' and 'issues' have been, um, greatly exaggerated. That's not to demean owners who have had real problems but, I, for one have not experienced any that are worth ranting about online. Mine has worked flawlessly for both business and leisure during the last 30 days. The things that sometimes annoy me about the S7's shallow keyboard/'noisy' cooling fan/the way it opens are more than offset by the raw multi-tasking power, speed and HD display of this Ultrabook. On the other hand, I can understand certain criticisms from users accustomed to working on full-size laptops. The S7 takes a little getting used-to at first. The payoff, though, is an insanely fast machine that weighs half as much. I love the looks of clients and co-workers when they see it: a combination of lust and sheer amazement. The hateful comments from Mac owners are the best. I enjoy hearing those more than anything.

---- ----- ---- ---- ---- ----- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----- --

I have gone thru a myriad of different laptops during the last year from HP, Lenovo, Asus, and Sony trying to find the right one offering a balance of features and performance that I could live with. Heck, I even tried a Surface Pro2 but that thing was a slab of dead weight as a tablet and too limited to seriously consider as a laptop replacement. So it came down to a choice between either the Acer S7, MBA or a Surface Pro3. I went with the Acer S7-391-9427 because of what it offered and the fact that, being a 2013 model, I got a killer deal on it. I'm not a Mac fan (sorry) and while the Surface Pro3 is a quantum leap forward compared to the Surface Pro2, I still found it to be rather restrictive...and pricey. The Acer is by far the best deal for the price.

It is also very gratifying to report that I have experienced none of the issues reported by other owners so far. I was pleasantly surprised to see that 5G wifi is supported by the S7, considering I recently upgraded my router to a Linksys 1900 WRT. I have had no connectivity issues whatsoever. If anything, the connection is stable and crazy-fast.

I noticed a bit of fan noise while downloading the gazillion Windows updates the S7 wants to do after initial boot-up but, I wouldn't call it excessively loud. Since downloading the BIOS update for cooling, I haven't noticed any fan noise. Windows 8.1 was able to update seamlessly after installing all the Windows 8 updates.

I am not experiencing any of the complaints I have read about keyboard and touchpad sensitivity. Both seem to be functioning as I would expect. I guess the Asus Q550LF I used for the last 10 months prepared me for the type of keyboard on the S7. It too had very shallow keys without much feedback. If I were used to either a Lenovo or a Dell, I could see where that might be a problem at first. I also think the backlit keyboard works just fine - certainly bright enough for this user.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the S7's performance. I won't miss lugging around a 7 pound, 15" laptop on business trips, I can assure you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ultrabook, April 2, 2013
Pros: This is a great ultra portable rig. I got it from another website because I had a gift card and I'm so glad I did!
1) It is fast and SO thin but feels sturdy in your hand.
2) The screen is crisp and has great viewing angles and brightness. The touchscreen is a little gimmicky right now but if Windows 8 ever gets some good apps then maybe it'll make it more useful.
3) The keyboard is awesome and easy and comfortable to type on.
4) The SSD's in raid 0 are crazy fast.
5) The sound from the speakers is much louder than I expected coming from the bottom of the machine but can get muddled if you're playing it on your lap on something soft like in bed.
6) Wi-Fi problems have been fixed and runs very smooth.

Cons: These cons are very small to me but there are a few:
1) The trackpad is a little flaky as well as the gestures but the gestures work great on the touchscreen its self
2) Fans can get a little loud in hotter environments but that's to be expected when you cram so much power into such a tiny frame
3) Intel 4000 graphics aren't great but you're not buying this as a desktop replacement

Other Thoughts: It can run games like WoW and Diablo 3 on medium at 1080 but that's now what you buy this for so that's just a bonus. If you're looking for one of (if not the) thinnest and lightest computers that can actually do work then you've found it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare! Paid top dollar for a 'top of line' laptop and have had nothing but problems., November 26, 2013
First laptop received had line through the display. This was immediately replaced through the Amazon warranty-thank you Amazon. Of course had to be without the laptop during the shipping time. After the first month, but within only the first few months of ownership, the laptop had to be returned because it was very loud. The fan was replaced and the laptop was returned. But I was without a laptop for a couple weeks for the repair process. A few months later, the hard drive failed and I again returned the computer for repair. I am now in my second week without a laptop AGAIN. I have had to return the laptop 3 times in the first 7 months of ownership.

When the laptop actually worked, I liked the design and the processing speed was good. The keyboard was better on the first one (with the display problem) that I had for less than a week. The keyboard and the touchpad mouse on the replacement computer has been extremely annoying. The keys often don't respond and they often stick and type double. The touch pad is erratic.

The customer service from Acer has been mindless as they fail to recognize the importance of making a customer happy. Obviously a customer should expect better when paying top dollar for a laptop. But they stick to their script. "Your warranty provides for repair of the laptop in the first year." Send it to repair center. We will repair and return to you within 7-10 business days. Meanwhile, the customer who has spent $1,800 for a laptop continues to do without.

Maybe some one at Acer will read this and do something to make it right?

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I expected, August 20, 2013
The computer is very nice, but it would have been better with a minimum of 8GB of RAM.
It works just fine. No problem so far with the WIFI as mentioned somewhere else

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful yet functional, March 13, 2013
I have been using the S7 for about 3 days now and love it! the touchscreen is fantastic with Win 8. The keyboard is a little shallow but you get used to it. No problem with the wi-fi like some have mentioned. The only thing I would have liked to see is longer battery life. Also I purchased the Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station and it works great with the S7; super helpful with my dual monitors and other peripherals

3.0 out of 5 stars Fancy laptop for business people, September 1, 2014
It is ultra light, even with the charger, it is fast, it is thin and it draws a lot of attention.

Pros: Lightweight, no-bezel screen (like super easy to clean), Gorilla glass covers makes it matter-of-fact scratch-proof (no a single one for over a year I owned it), and super-fast RAID-ed SSD.

Cons: Somewhat weak battery, it can get real loud (no matter how many times you update ROM) and of late started to considerably warm up to the point of being uncomfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars IPad Substitute, April 13, 2013
This laptop is fast and responsive. It is so light and thin that I find myself reaching for it rather than my IPad. The touchscreen is extremely responsive and really a necessity to appreciate Windows 8. My only complaint is that the keys are difficult to read, especially in poor light There is insufficient contrast between the light green backlighting and the silver keys, and the backlighting itself is inadequate. This is a minor point, however, in what otherwise has been a great computer experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›