5.0 out of 5 stars Great Touch monitor with deep black
Published 20 months ago by HLN

3.0 out of 5 stars Great display with a poor design
I purchased this item to pair with a Windows 7 OS for a visually impaired co worker. Its important to know that when pairing this with a OS 7 machine you must connect the USB cable before you boot up the computer and monitor. This tip came from another reviewer.

Published 7 months ago by B Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Touch monitor with deep black, January 10, 2013
HLN (Orlando, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acer T272HL bmidz 27-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display (Personal Computers)
Just got this yesterday and it is superb. The touch interface with Windows 8 is fantastic. Windows 8 sucks less with Touch monitor. Hooked it up to a Sony S laptop that is hidden under a desk with no wires exposed, making this setup looks "almost" like an Apple designed monitor. Jon Ive would probably use this monitor if there was no Apple. I own 5 Macs in the house and 1 Windows 8 PC. I used to be a die hard fan of PCs until I got my MBP Retina but that is another story.

Anyways, back to the Acer: No need to install any drivers and it just works out of the box (this is the way it should be). Turned it on and you will drop your jaws. The image is crystal clear and great color and deep black level (not as good as my 27 inch Apple Thunderbolt display) but very close. The monitor is extremely bright in a good way. Love love the massive touch screen that makes using Windows 8 much much better. Hooked up the included USB 3.0 cable, HDMI and power cables and everything works. Did I mention Touch is awesome with Windows 8?

The stand is great as you can tilt it on demand but I mounted this 27 beast on an Ergotron LCD arm desk mount (LX Desk Mount LCD Arm) and it looks stunning, floating on my desk. I tilt the monitor when using the touchscreen but put it back vertically for movies viewing. Love the Ergotron arm as well. Highly recommended for Touch monitor. I also removed the leg stand and the clear plastic (there are screws that hold these together; very easy to remove them)

Watching Hulu Plus, NetFlix native Windows 8 apps on this monitor is awesome but it really shines when viewing 1080p blu-ray or MKV files. The color is just incredible and extreamly sharp, total HD.

5.0 out of 5 stars This + Windows 8 Pro = creative perfection!, March 11, 2013
First, let me start off by saying that I'm not a Windows 8 hater. I bought this monitor to go along with my initial installation of Windows 8, because I felt like a touchscreen was an integral aspect of the OS. Now that I've been using it for a couple of weeks, I think it's safe to say that Windows 8 is great, with or without a touchscreen, but this beast makes it that much better! Just as some basic info: I hooked this up to my semi-outdated home-built PC which consists of: Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor, Asus P5Q3 mobo with 8GB of DDR3 ram and a GTX650 Ti graphics card, plus a Corsair SSD with my windows installation and a RAID 1 storage hard drive arrangement. I do not watch movies on my PC, nor am I a heavy gamer (unless you consider games like solitaire, minesweeper, angry birds and the like qualify me as any kind of a gamer). I am a web developer and designer, so I'm more the creative type. I use my PC for graphics rendering (Adobe CS, lots of photo editing, content creation, web development like php/mysql in applications like Dreamweaver). Keep these in mind when considering my opinion of this monitor, as I'm sure they play into my thoughts on it.

SETUP:
You'd think at 27 inches, it'd be pretty heavy, but it isn't -- at least not once you get it out of the box. I'm a petite female (5'3"), and I had no trouble hefting this thing onto my desk. On first inspection, it seems like a solid, quality piece of equipment, and thus far, I have not been disappointed. I was able to set it up and use it under Windows 7 for a few days before I had time to run my clean Windows 8 installation. Windows 7 setup is fun, as it wasn't really intended for it (the Windows 8 driver on Acer's web site does work on Win7, you just have to do a manual install). Windows 8 handled everything "automagically".

USE:
If I could gripe about anything, there would be two things:

1) at a significant tilt, the colors fade near the top of the screen. This is irritating sometimes, but nothing that bothers me to the point where I'd return it.
2) While I love the look of a glossy screen, glare sucks on this bad boy when I tilt it for heavy touch use. I frequently bounce between keyboard, mouse, and touch input, so on a normal working day, I will use it from a steep angle all the way down to a very shallow angle.

Overall, using the T272HL has been a wonderful experience. It's great for the Windows 8 touch-centric metro UI, and I enjoy playing touch-based games on it. I also run the bluestacks android emulator for my android-based games and apps when I need or want them. I haven't had any issues at all yet with the touch aspect of the monitor.

DESK SPACE:
I use mine straight up sitting on my primary desk -- yes, it takes up a lot of space depth-wise, so if you have a really shallow desk or you need a lot of space between you and your monitor, look elsewhere or put this bad boy on a wall or desk mount. For a touchscreen, I would think having the monitor closer to you is a good thing, though -- your arm will hurt trying to use this as a touchscreen at a steep angle even a foot away from you for any length of time.

ON GHOSTING, PHANTOM TOUCHES:
I have seen neither in any significant amount. First, I have to really pay attention to see the ghosting on the Win8 start screen. Yeah, it's there, but I've seen worse -- I think this is a case of how much these things bother you. If you're a plasma TV kinda person and motion blur is really bothersome, yeah, you might want to skip this one. Personally, I have an LED television that is not a true 120 or 240hz screen, so I'm used to it, and it does not bother me. As for the phantom touches: nope, nada, none, zilch. I have to wonder if the person complaining about those has some other kind of hardware conflict going on there, because I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have seen this by now if it were a problem with these monitors. I've seen phantom touches on tablets, but despite having used this thing for a couple of weeks now, I haven't seen anything vaguely resembling this phenomenon. Although, I am using this hooked up to USB 2.0 ports, and perhaps that reviewer is using USB 3.0. Given that touch data is sent via the USB cable, and knowing that early motherboards that included USB 3.0 had some quirkiness, perhaps there's something there.

USB 3.0:
The monitor uses USB for the touch data -- I am using this over USB 2.0 without any issues.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:
I really, really like this monitor. It could be higher resolution (I like tons of desktop space!), and the viewing angles could be cleaner/better, but all-in-all, none of the things that bug me are enough to even dock it a single star. I highly recommend this monitor, especially for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Try it out and then decide if it is for you, January 13, 2013
Pros:

Deep blacks
Runs cool
Looks real nice and stylish on your desk
Great viewing angles
You can watch movies all day long on this thing, 27" is real nice
Just works - plug n play!
It *makes* Windows 8 - very impressive

Cons:

Horrible OSD (on-screen display) menus and flimsy plastic buttons
Takes up a lot of room and might be awkward on a desk
Ghosting (can clearly be seen when scrolling through Live Tiles)
Can't stand it at a 90 degree angle - you'll need an arm for that
Like The Verge review of the All-in-One version of this, it feels somewhat like a prototype. very 1.0 product

This is one of those products you really want to give 5 stars to but you know you can't because of how severe some of those Cons can be. Think long and hard about how you want to use this thing as it can be a little bit impractical. I still can't decide on the colors - I've seen better I guess. In hindsight I think I would have been better off getting the new Dell Touchscreen as it seems to be a little better quality but I don't regret this purchase at all. It still makes it feel like I've finally arrived in the future.

The ideal price for this display would be $600.

4.0 out of 5 stars works with Linux and Windows 7 as well, July 4, 2013
Shawn T. Rutledge "ecloud" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
Linux will detect the USB device as "Advanced Silicon S.A CoolTouch(TM) System", and the XInput 2.2 evdev driver "just works" provided you are using a new enough Linux distro to have XInput 2.2. I work on the Qt 5 support for touch and tablets, so I'm happy to report that it "just works" with Qt 5 as well, on both Linux and Windows 7. The touch examples such as fingerpaint and photosurface will make good use of the multi-finger input capability (up to 10 fingers simultaneously). (Qt is a graphics toolkit which will allow you to write portable touch-oriented applications for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and OS X, although OS X is usually used with a touchpad rather than a touch monitor.)

The Windows 7 driver is installed automatically and successfully when you plug it in.

What I don't understand is why Acer doesn't advertise anything other than Windows 8 support. I was hesitant to buy it because of that. They should at least provide information about what sort of touch controller chip they used and how it's identified on the USB bus.

The stand is a bit weird. Yes it's adjustable, but when I first set it up on my desk, I was surprised how much force is necessary to pull out the stand, past the first detent. I was afraid it would break. The first detent holds it at a steep angle like a conventional desktop monitor; after that, you can go further, to make the monitor lean back more. The torsional spring where the stand is mounted counter-balances the weight.

It's also a little weird to have the monitor sitting flat on the edge of its lower acrylic strip instead of on feet or somehow elevated above the desk, but it works well enough. I think the design is probably suitable for integrating into a kiosk or touch table as well; around the edges the thickness of the case is consistent, so it could be set into some sort of support frame.

The buttons to turn it on and off, access the menus, select inputs etc. are well hidden on the right edge of the monitor.

It's nice to have DVI, HDMI and VGA inputs.

Anyway, thanks to Acer for marketing a 10-point touch device (instead of the more common 2-point kind) at a relatively affordable price point for its size, and for choosing a Linux-compatible touch driver chip (despite the lack of information about it).

5.0 out of 5 stars This Monitor is Totally Awesome ( and how it went from 1 star to 5 ), October 1, 2013
I ordered this monitor to go with a new windows 8 desktop I ordered, and the monitor was delivered before the new computer was. I hooked the monitor up to my "old" computer, and I utilized my existing DVI to VGA cord to hook it up. The picture was horrible, it was blurry and looked low resolution, a comment I have seen in some reviews. My eyes hurt after looking at it for 10 minutes, extreme eye strain. I was seriously considering sending it back. Then my new computer came, and I connected it DVI to DVI. The image is now amazing, bright and high resolution. The touch function works amazingly well. Yes you can see some ghosting if you move things fast, but it doesn't bother me at all, I really love this monitor, definitely worth the money. In retrospect this result may be a obvious to some, but hopefully these comments will be useful to some.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer T272HL bmidz 27-Inch Touchscreen LCD Display, October 27, 2013
This is my first Acer product let alone a monitor. I custom built my current PC late this past spring. My video display card is an XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon mated to an ASUS VE276Q 27-inch Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD monitor. I added this Acer monitor as my primary connected via HDMI and the ASUS via an Accell B119B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable.
The Acer monitor required little if any adjustment right out of the box. Color, brightness, and contrast were near perfect.
My impression of the monitor stand system is a bit mixed. As you can see from the photo's of this monitor Acer uses a unique pivoting arm arrangement instead of the traditional stand. I am sure this is for functionality when you may wish to use this monitor in a near horizontal configuration (which could be very entertaining).
I have them arranged side by side and they are nothing short of stunning.
The touchscreen responds very quickly and smoothly. As long as you are satisfied with the stand this monitor is nearly without peer for it's size at this price point.
Configured as a single monitor I believe that you should be very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright accurate touch interface, October 18, 2013
Right out of the box everything worked. I am not big on color, so the complaints I have read about don't effect me. The touch interface is spot on. I run it through a KVM and all the computers that I have connected to it have worked nicely with the touch interface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, March 12, 2013
Recently put together a new system, and decided on biting the bullet and going with Windows 8. I also decided that I would need a touchscreen to really make Windows 8 usable. Having gamed on a 24" monitor for years (Samsung 245BW), I wanted a monitor that would roughly be the same size, support touch input, accept HDMI, and not have a TN panel. Originally I looked at this monitor's 23" brother, the Acer T232HL bmidz 23-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display but decided for such a small price difference I should just go with the 27", and I'm glad I did.

The monitor itself is incredibly clear and crisp. It leaves the factory with the Brightness set at 100, but the on screen controls make it easy to lower to a more reasonable setting. The power button is placed really close to the up/down selection arrows, making it easy to inadvertently turn off the display, but thankfully once you get your settings dialed in you shouldn't need to alter them again (in theory). One thing I did have an issue with was getting the display to not look so "washed out". I tried altering the warmth, brightness, contrast, cycling through the presets, etc, but still the blacks looked washed out. I finally dinked around with my the color settings in my graphics driver (Integrated Intel HD 4000), and found a setting called "YCbCr". When I enabled this, it drastically improved the picture quality. The background pictures "popped" with color, blacks were black, gamma was perfect. I'm not sure if such a setting exists in Nvidia or AMD drivers, but for the Intel graphics this setting ended up being all that was needed (I will upload a picture of the driver setting). Windows 8 auto detected the 10 point touchscreen and required no calibration

The inputs are good, including VGA, HDMI, and DVI. The monitor has a 3 port USB3 hub mounted on the left side (as you face the display). I mounted the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse in it, and it the display seems to have no problem handling it's low power requirements. It also has a 3.5mm audio input port for analog audio. The speakers seem to be top mounted, and sound about as crappy and hollow as you'd expect from 2w monitor speakers, but if all you need is to hear the windows chimes when an error pops up, then they will suffice. Anyone wanting to play games, listen to music, or watch a movie should invest in a good pair of headphones or speakers). My only complaint with the connections is that the power adapter is a 90 degree barrel/post connector, which makes the fit kind of awkward. If it had been straight I think it would be a better fit.

The clear plastic bezel at the bottom is removable, and I think I might do that to lower the monitor to be slightly below eye level. This is really a design issue with my desk, and no fault of the monitor. In fact, I'm glad that they offer the option to remove it. Giving the option makes it work for a variety of installations. The VESA mount in the back is 100mm, and includes a small plastic cover to cover the hinge when you remove it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great display with a poor design, February 12, 2014

The quality of the display exceeded my expectations. The graphics are clear and bright. The design of the monitor is somewhat poor. The clear plastic bar at the bottom gives the item a sleek design but is flimsy and when moving this item im often afraid that the plexiglass will crack or break. It cannot support the full weight of the monitor. In additional the kickstand on the back is difficult to adjust. To initially open the kickstand you have to give it a sizable pull and it makes a loud cracking noise. This leads you to believe you'e broken something but it turns out this is normal.

I would recommend this product to others based on its display of graphics. However, the quality of the design is not a 5 start rating and heavily influenced by rating of 3 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, March 28, 2013
Believer (Tampa Bay, FL) - See all my reviews
Very impressed with this monitor. While it is not perfect, it is pretty good. It's not going to be as nice as a 240Hz, LED TV but I'm not really using it for a TV. I have watched a couple of movies from Netflix and they were okay. I'm not sure if Netflix streams in HD or not. What I really liked was that this monitor came with just about one of every kind of connection cords you can think of. No need to get an HDMI or anything else like when you buy a 2000 dollar plus TV. This monitor works right out of the box and the multi-touch touchscreen is just like operating your smartphone. I think Acer did good on this one.

I came back to add more info about this monitor. 4/9/13 - Out of the box the monitor is beautiful. It's directions are pictures without words so some things you're unsure of may be difficult to figure out. My main difficulty was the "touchscreen cord". I saw no mention of this cord anywhere in the picture directions so I was unaware there even was one. I had to call customer service for help because I couldn't figure out how to make the touchscreen work. While the person I contacted in India was very friendly, he had no clue about any of Acer's products. We went through the normal stuff that I already tried before I called but have to get through anyway before you can actually start getting somewhere. He got around to asking about my system which just happens to be an Acer system. I gave him the requested "SSID" number and his first response was to tell me they didn't have any drivers for my system and this monitor. I thought this strange since they were both new and just purchased together. However, after just a few more moments he asked about a cable that had an unusual end on one end and as soon as he said that I knew that there had to be a separate cable for the touch feature. That cable was easy to locate and the touchscreen was working in no time. Problem solved and even though the service rep was not knowledgeable about either of the products, he was able to accurately diagnose the problem and solve it in a timely manor.

Once hooked up I find that I like the monitor very much. When the monitor is on and there is no picture, just a black screen, I feel the black could be a little better, but when anything is on the screen it looks fine. As I said before, it's not a 240Hz, LED TV, It's a monitor. I really like this monitor though. It's touch response is very good. It has made it so that I enjoy Windows 8 that much more. It does have the obvious problem of keeping the screen clean of greasy fingerprints but you already know that going in.

Just a little comment about Windows 8. I'm 50 Y/O and not the biggest fan of change but I must say that I really like Windows 8. It's not really hard to figure out at all. I like being able to use either the mouse or touchscreen whenever I want. I really don't know why others don't like it unless they're just not giving it a chance. I say give it an honest effort to learn and in two weeks you'll be liking Windows 8.

All in all I don't regret this purchase. I now own 4 Acer products. An Acer netbook, 24" monitor, 27" touchscreen monitor and a Acer Predator desktop computer. I haven't had any problems with any of these products so far. These products were not purchased specifically because they were Acer but rather because they had the features I was looking for and the price was right at the time of the purchase. The only exception was the netbook, it was given to my wife by her employer for her tenth year of service. Now that I own these Acer products I will definitely consider Acer products in the future. Hope this helps.

Rate and Discover Movies