Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Retro Toys Deal

on January 10, 2013
Just got this yesterday and it is superb. The touch interface with Windows 8 is fantastic. Windows 8 sucks less with Touch monitor. Hooked it up to a Sony S laptop that is hidden under a desk with no wires exposed, making this setup looks "almost" like an Apple designed monitor. Jon Ive would probably use this monitor if there was no Apple. I own 5 Macs in the house and 1 Windows 8 PC. I used to be a die hard fan of PCs until I got my MBP Retina but that is another story.

Anyways, back to the Acer: No need to install any drivers and it just works out of the box (this is the way it should be). Turned it on and you will drop your jaws. The image is crystal clear and great color and deep black level (not as good as my 27 inch Apple Thunderbolt display) but very close. The monitor is extremely bright in a good way. Love love the massive touch screen that makes using Windows 8 much much better. Hooked up the included USB 3.0 cable, HDMI and power cables and everything works. Did I mention Touch is awesome with Windows 8?

The stand is great as you can tilt it on demand but I mounted this 27 beast on an Ergotron LCD arm desk mount (LX Desk Mount LCD Arm) and it looks stunning, floating on my desk. I tilt the monitor when using the touchscreen but put it back vertically for movies viewing. Love the Ergotron arm as well. Highly recommended for Touch monitor. I also removed the leg stand and the clear plastic (there are screws that hold these together; very easy to remove them)

Watching Hulu Plus, NetFlix native Windows 8 apps on this monitor is awesome but it really shines when viewing 1080p blu-ray or MKV files. The color is just incredible and extreamly sharp, total HD.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 11, 2013
First, let me start off by saying that I'm not a Windows 8 hater. I bought this monitor to go along with my initial installation of Windows 8, because I felt like a touchscreen was an integral aspect of the OS. Now that I've been using it for a couple of weeks, I think it's safe to say that Windows 8 is great, with or without a touchscreen, but this beast makes it that much better! Just as some basic info: I hooked this up to my semi-outdated home-built PC which consists of: Core 2 Quad Q9400 processor, Asus P5Q3 mobo with 8GB of DDR3 ram and a GTX650 Ti graphics card, plus a Corsair SSD with my windows installation and a RAID 1 storage hard drive arrangement. I do not watch movies on my PC, nor am I a heavy gamer (unless you consider games like solitaire, minesweeper, angry birds and the like qualify me as any kind of a gamer). I am a web developer and designer, so I'm more the creative type. I use my PC for graphics rendering (Adobe CS, lots of photo editing, content creation, web development like php/mysql in applications like Dreamweaver). Keep these in mind when considering my opinion of this monitor, as I'm sure they play into my thoughts on it.

You'd think at 27 inches, it'd be pretty heavy, but it isn't -- at least not once you get it out of the box. I'm a petite female (5'3"), and I had no trouble hefting this thing onto my desk. On first inspection, it seems like a solid, quality piece of equipment, and thus far, I have not been disappointed. I was able to set it up and use it under Windows 7 for a few days before I had time to run my clean Windows 8 installation. Windows 7 setup is fun, as it wasn't really intended for it (the Windows 8 driver on Acer's web site does work on Win7, you just have to do a manual install). Windows 8 handled everything "automagically".

If I could gripe about anything, there would be two things:

1) at a significant tilt, the colors fade near the top of the screen. This is irritating sometimes, but nothing that bothers me to the point where I'd return it.
2) While I love the look of a glossy screen, glare sucks on this bad boy when I tilt it for heavy touch use. I frequently bounce between keyboard, mouse, and touch input, so on a normal working day, I will use it from a steep angle all the way down to a very shallow angle.

Overall, using the T272HL has been a wonderful experience. It's great for the Windows 8 touch-centric metro UI, and I enjoy playing touch-based games on it. I also run the bluestacks android emulator for my android-based games and apps when I need or want them. I haven't had any issues at all yet with the touch aspect of the monitor.

I use mine straight up sitting on my primary desk -- yes, it takes up a lot of space depth-wise, so if you have a really shallow desk or you need a lot of space between you and your monitor, look elsewhere or put this bad boy on a wall or desk mount. For a touchscreen, I would think having the monitor closer to you is a good thing, though -- your arm will hurt trying to use this as a touchscreen at a steep angle even a foot away from you for any length of time.

I have seen neither in any significant amount. First, I have to really pay attention to see the ghosting on the Win8 start screen. Yeah, it's there, but I've seen worse -- I think this is a case of how much these things bother you. If you're a plasma TV kinda person and motion blur is really bothersome, yeah, you might want to skip this one. Personally, I have an LED television that is not a true 120 or 240hz screen, so I'm used to it, and it does not bother me. As for the phantom touches: nope, nada, none, zilch. I have to wonder if the person complaining about those has some other kind of hardware conflict going on there, because I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have seen this by now if it were a problem with these monitors. I've seen phantom touches on tablets, but despite having used this thing for a couple of weeks now, I haven't seen anything vaguely resembling this phenomenon. Although, I am using this hooked up to USB 2.0 ports, and perhaps that reviewer is using USB 3.0. Given that touch data is sent via the USB cable, and knowing that early motherboards that included USB 3.0 had some quirkiness, perhaps there's something there.

USB 3.0:
The monitor uses USB for the touch data -- I am using this over USB 2.0 without any issues.

I really, really like this monitor. It could be higher resolution (I like tons of desktop space!), and the viewing angles could be cleaner/better, but all-in-all, none of the things that bug me are enough to even dock it a single star. I highly recommend this monitor, especially for the price.
on July 4, 2013
Linux will detect the USB device as "Advanced Silicon S.A CoolTouch(TM) System", and the XInput 2.2 evdev driver "just works" provided you are using a new enough Linux distro to have XInput 2.2. I work on the Qt 5 support for touch and tablets, so I'm happy to report that it "just works" with Qt 5 as well, on both Linux and Windows 7. The touch examples such as fingerpaint and photosurface will make good use of the multi-finger input capability (up to 10 fingers simultaneously). (Qt is a graphics toolkit which will allow you to write portable touch-oriented applications for Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and OS X, although OS X is usually used with a touchpad rather than a touch monitor.)

The Windows 7 driver is installed automatically and successfully when you plug it in.

What I don't understand is why Acer doesn't advertise anything other than Windows 8 support. I was hesitant to buy it because of that. They should at least provide information about what sort of touch controller chip they used and how it's identified on the USB bus.

The stand is a bit weird. Yes it's adjustable, but when I first set it up on my desk, I was surprised how much force is necessary to pull out the stand, past the first detent. I was afraid it would break. The first detent holds it at a steep angle like a conventional desktop monitor; after that, you can go further, to make the monitor lean back more. The torsional spring where the stand is mounted counter-balances the weight.

It's also a little weird to have the monitor sitting flat on the edge of its lower acrylic strip instead of on feet or somehow elevated above the desk, but it works well enough. I think the design is probably suitable for integrating into a kiosk or touch table as well; around the edges the thickness of the case is consistent, so it could be set into some sort of support frame.

The buttons to turn it on and off, access the menus, select inputs etc. are well hidden on the right edge of the monitor.

It's nice to have DVI, HDMI and VGA inputs.

Anyway, thanks to Acer for marketing a 10-point touch device (instead of the more common 2-point kind) at a relatively affordable price point for its size, and for choosing a Linux-compatible touch driver chip (despite the lack of information about it).
on January 13, 2013

Deep blacks
Runs cool
Looks real nice and stylish on your desk
Great viewing angles
You can watch movies all day long on this thing, 27" is real nice
Just works - plug n play!
It *makes* Windows 8 - very impressive

Horrible OSD (on-screen display) menus and flimsy plastic buttons
Takes up a lot of room and might be awkward on a desk
Ghosting (can clearly be seen when scrolling through Live Tiles)
Can't stand it at a 90 degree angle - you'll need an arm for that
Like The Verge review of the All-in-One version of this, it feels somewhat like a prototype. very 1.0 product

This is one of those products you really want to give 5 stars to but you know you can't because of how severe some of those Cons can be. Think long and hard about how you want to use this thing as it can be a little bit impractical. I still can't decide on the colors - I've seen better I guess. In hindsight I think I would have been better off getting the new Dell Touchscreen as it seems to be a little better quality but I don't regret this purchase at all. It still makes it feel like I've finally arrived in the future.

The ideal price for this display would be $600.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2013
I ordered this monitor to go with a new windows 8 desktop I ordered, and the monitor was delivered before the new computer was. I hooked the monitor up to my "old" computer, and I utilized my existing DVI to VGA cord to hook it up. The picture was horrible, it was blurry and looked low resolution, a comment I have seen in some reviews. My eyes hurt after looking at it for 10 minutes, extreme eye strain. I was seriously considering sending it back. Then my new computer came, and I connected it DVI to DVI. The image is now amazing, bright and high resolution. The touch function works amazingly well. Yes you can see some ghosting if you move things fast, but it doesn't bother me at all, I really love this monitor, definitely worth the money. In retrospect this result may be a obvious to some, but hopefully these comments will be useful to some.
on October 27, 2013
This is my first Acer product let alone a monitor. I custom built my current PC late this past spring. My video display card is an XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon mated to an ASUS VE276Q 27-inch Full HD HDMI Widescreen LCD monitor. I added this Acer monitor as my primary connected via HDMI and the ASUS via an Accell B119B-007J UltraAV Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable.
The Acer monitor required little if any adjustment right out of the box. Color, brightness, and contrast were near perfect.
My impression of the monitor stand system is a bit mixed. As you can see from the photo's of this monitor Acer uses a unique pivoting arm arrangement instead of the traditional stand. I am sure this is for functionality when you may wish to use this monitor in a near horizontal configuration (which could be very entertaining).
I have them arranged side by side and they are nothing short of stunning.
The touchscreen responds very quickly and smoothly. As long as you are satisfied with the stand this monitor is nearly without peer for it's size at this price point.
Configured as a single monitor I believe that you should be very pleased.
on October 18, 2013
Right out of the box everything worked. I am not big on color, so the complaints I have read about don't effect me. The touch interface is spot on. I run it through a KVM and all the computers that I have connected to it have worked nicely with the touch interface.
on May 14, 2014
This monitor doubles as a USB 3 hub, a bright home theatre display (with 1080P, mind you), a human interface with accurate, fast and safe 10 points touch input. Wait, that's more than double already and I'm not finished. Bottom line, at a bargain price (a little over that of a regular 27 monitor) you get more than you should expect. Much more.

I found the display to be bright and vivid, but I'm no expert to give proper advice. Still the best monitor I ever had, including a high-end plasma Pana, a few years ago.

The form factor is impressive, with that clever desk stand. Still, I replaced it with a VESA arm that can do even better, with tilt, pan, lift, park... watch Ergotron products. A VESA arm does bring tremendous additional value to this monitor, starting with moving it effortlessly across the room, for your neighbours to try, watch or collaborate. There is some showing off ... I imagine giving music lessons with that thing in the room. White board anyone?

Unfortunately, ACER was not very smart in the Vesa department:
- VESA plate is not centered. This makes valuable adjustments like tilt and pan, hard to deal with, as the weight is unevenly spread: VESA arms have springs that need to be adjusted for a given pressure. As a consequence of this flaw, you will still need a desk or a least some kind of resting point, to make profit of pan and tilt. Not a deal breaker but still a pretty major design flaw.
- The buttons on the right. This monitor is supposed to be handled quite a lot, as a touchscreen. Even more so when hanging in the air with an arm. Those buttons will get in your way, the worst being hitting the off button, which is quite disruptive. People complain more about the GUI interface that comes with those buttons. I find it not that bad, compared to what I've seen. Turning the monitor off several times a day by accident is much more frustrating to me.
- No fasteners for VESA arm. The fasteners you get with the rear foot/handle could do the job, but I did not trust them and had to shop for proper M4 screws. This was a waste of time for 4 lousy screws.
- The magic transparent plastic bar is a nice invention, it serves several purposes in the original desk setting. And it looks awesome. However, with an arm, this bar becomes irrelevant, although you still need to keep it because of the previously described flaws. I still removed it, only to find that this leaves the hull wide open. The transparent bar is part of the T272's integrity and can't be gotten rid off. This was a mistake.

A minor annoyance that was quickly fixed, is the HDMI input being unreliable. I have this thick and heavy hdmi cable, which didn't give me any trouble with previous monitors and TV's; contact suddenly breaks at the slightest touch; bad for a screen that's supposed to be handled all day long. Worse with an arm that makes handling fun and useful. After securing the cables, I TAPED the hdmi one to the monitor and it got better, although I am still not completely confident. And it looks kind of ugly and messy.

Losing hdmi connection is quite disruptive, as the monitor will have to boot back in service, plus you're not sure what really happened. The PC could be asleep, hanged, crashed... no feedback at all. So you desperately push on the hdmi connector, hoping for the best, knowing that hdmi has a booting-lag.... This can't be good for the hardware and is frustrating + anxiety-triggering.

These are flaws but none of them are shop-stoppers, considering the rest which is awesome, really.

I found the power requirements to be a nice surprise: about half of that of my previous 22", with much better low power states handling, as one could expect from a recent device. No waste through heat, thanks to LED backlight. The Eco mode brings down power draw even more, to a ridiculous 17W, while still providing enough backlight for a bright room. Actually this is my favourite mode. I would probably change only for the darkest movies or to counteract direct sunlight exposure.

Weight. This thing is stupid- light. It appears to be an essential feature for such a device. The Ergotron arm I use was rated for <24" monitors and 9 KG. It handles this one with ease. Good to know.

-*- Dirt -*-

I was never aware, concerned or even informed about dirt on screens. My politics was always to avoid touching a monitor at all cost and clean it once in a while like I would windows or eyeglasses. As you could expect, this monitor will get dirty. Every day. More than once a day. Actually, cleaning it once a day couldn't cut it for me. This is why I'm so happy I used a search engine and did proper research before even considering cleaning this one for the first time.

It turns out the various chemical products, water or damp cloth you might be tempted to use, are an absolute no-go. Try a search engine yourself and don't give up until you made up your mind for good. Any flavour of touch screen will react differently to different chemicals, even those you trust for your windows or eyeglasses. If you use them, stop now.

It turns out that micro fibre comes in some flavours that can do a wonderful job at cleaning the screen new in a few seconds, without anything else that the cloth and your hand. Just swipe carefully all over the screen, just once. Don't rub or insist whatsoever: the microfibre will do its job just fine in one sweep, providing it's the right kind (the soft, nano sized kind). You can still add some moisture if something resilient and disgusting happens to be there, but be sure to remove all trace of it and watch for scratches. Careful, as some will try and sell you "special" touch screen cleaning cloth. At a hefty price. They're nothing but micro fibre of the right kind, which is like one or two bucks a piece.

I'm confident that this monitor will be the best maintained one I ever had, and also that it will stay it top shape for its entire life, which is more than I can say for my previous display peripherals. Micro. Fibre.

So this is it for my experience with this awesome piece of gear. I finally get to use these Win8 licenses I bought a couple of years ago and I couldn't get myself to install but in a virtual machine. This monitor allowed me to make profit of all those Win8 goodies, and there are many. That it also is a nice display with killer looks makes it worth five stars, despite pretty severe design flaws. This is my best monitor experience ever. 5 stars it is.

Oh, BTW, I got it new for 400 in France, where we have VAT (20%). I would probably not have gone there at MSRP, but now that I tried it, I definitely would.
on March 12, 2013
Recently put together a new system, and decided on biting the bullet and going with Windows 8. I also decided that I would need a touchscreen to really make Windows 8 usable. Having gamed on a 24" monitor for years (Samsung 245BW), I wanted a monitor that would roughly be the same size, support touch input, accept HDMI, and not have a TN panel. Originally I looked at this monitor's 23" brother, the Acer T232HL bmidz 23-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display but decided for such a small price difference I should just go with the 27", and I'm glad I did.

The monitor itself is incredibly clear and crisp. It leaves the factory with the Brightness set at 100, but the on screen controls make it easy to lower to a more reasonable setting. The power button is placed really close to the up/down selection arrows, making it easy to inadvertently turn off the display, but thankfully once you get your settings dialed in you shouldn't need to alter them again (in theory). One thing I did have an issue with was getting the display to not look so "washed out". I tried altering the warmth, brightness, contrast, cycling through the presets, etc, but still the blacks looked washed out. I finally dinked around with my the color settings in my graphics driver (Integrated Intel HD 4000), and found a setting called "YCbCr". When I enabled this, it drastically improved the picture quality. The background pictures "popped" with color, blacks were black, gamma was perfect. I'm not sure if such a setting exists in Nvidia or AMD drivers, but for the Intel graphics this setting ended up being all that was needed (I will upload a picture of the driver setting). Windows 8 auto detected the 10 point touchscreen and required no calibration

The inputs are good, including VGA, HDMI, and DVI. The monitor has a 3 port USB3 hub mounted on the left side (as you face the display). I mounted the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse in it, and it the display seems to have no problem handling it's low power requirements. It also has a 3.5mm audio input port for analog audio. The speakers seem to be top mounted, and sound about as crappy and hollow as you'd expect from 2w monitor speakers, but if all you need is to hear the windows chimes when an error pops up, then they will suffice. Anyone wanting to play games, listen to music, or watch a movie should invest in a good pair of headphones or speakers). My only complaint with the connections is that the power adapter is a 90 degree barrel/post connector, which makes the fit kind of awkward. If it had been straight I think it would be a better fit.

The clear plastic bezel at the bottom is removable, and I think I might do that to lower the monitor to be slightly below eye level. This is really a design issue with my desk, and no fault of the monitor. In fact, I'm glad that they offer the option to remove it. Giving the option makes it work for a variety of installations. The VESA mount in the back is 100mm, and includes a small plastic cover to cover the hinge when you remove it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 12, 2014
I purchased this item to pair with a Windows 7 OS for a visually impaired co worker. Its important to know that when pairing this with a OS 7 machine you must connect the USB cable before you boot up the computer and monitor. This tip came from another reviewer.

The quality of the display exceeded my expectations. The graphics are clear and bright. The design of the monitor is somewhat poor. The clear plastic bar at the bottom gives the item a sleek design but is flimsy and when moving this item im often afraid that the plexiglass will crack or break. It cannot support the full weight of the monitor. In additional the kickstand on the back is difficult to adjust. To initially open the kickstand you have to give it a sizable pull and it makes a loud cracking noise. This leads you to believe you'e broken something but it turns out this is normal.

I would recommend this product to others based on its display of graphics. However, the quality of the design is not a 5 start rating and heavily influenced by rating of 3 stars.