5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for cost
Pros:
- good battery life
- good build quality
- excellent value for it's price
- plays mid-range games on low with acceptable frame rates

Cons:
- screen is thin feels too thin not that its totally a bad thing

other notes:
Published on September 13, 2012 by Nick

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy! Unacceptable quality!
Bought two Acer Timeline M5 laptops a month ago.
Computer number one died with a short circuit on the motherboard after 3 weeks use. Computer smoked briefly and terrible odor.
Published on November 7, 2012 by jd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value for cost, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Acer TimelineU M5-581T-6490 15.6-Inch Ultrabook (Silver) (Personal Computers)
Pros:
- good battery life
- good build quality
- excellent value for it's price
- plays mid-range games on low with acceptable frame rates

Cons:
- screen is thin feels too thin not that its totally a bad thing

other notes:
bought this laptop for my programming classes at my university, typing on it is pleasant and it's battery life is impressive compared to my last laptop. Held off on a graphics card because I wanted no temptations to game whist in class or studying, but it didn't matter because the HD 4000 is actually a decent integrated solution.

I would recommend this laptop to others because its a excellent value for it's price.

will return feedback in 2 months time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect Laptop, Except Touchpad is Oversensitive, May 6, 2013
I had this laptop for 3 weeks, a factory refurbished. I've been using laptops for over 15 years.

Pro's
SUPER FAST STARTS
-SSD used for Rapid Start works well, basically adding a "deep" sleep state the uses SSD (less power than normal sleep that uses RAM), and faster than hibernate (which uses hard drive. End result wakes up from deep sleep in 4-5 seconds and can be in this state for weeks, thus never need hibernate. In essence, same as ultrabooks (Macbook air) that uses SSD and that have no hard drive.
RESPONSIVE
-SSD is also used for times laptop is in use (not just deep sleep), caching files used frequently, eg., reading most frequently used data/programs from SSD rather than hard drive. My M% shows it reads 63% of data from SSD rather than hard drive
LONG BATTERY LIFE
-I get about 5 hours life (on 6 month old battery), which is fantastic from a 3-cell battery and 15.6" display. Using only 3 cells allow light-weight and small design.
SUPER THIN, LITE WEIGHT
-Study Case, top case that houses display screen is made of aluminum&magnesium metal so it is super thin, strong, and light weight. Bottom half is part aluminum&magnesium metal around keyboard, and very bottom is plastic
QUIET, LOW NOISE
Fan is quiet and rarely turns on (other models with gaming video driver, the fan runs a lot). Hard drive is quiet as well.
BIG TOUCHPAD
-with gestures

Cons
TOUCHPAD TOO SENSITIVE, ALMOST UNUSABLE
-Touchpad "selects" items when dragging mouse around, causing accidental moving of files (when using Windows Explorer), or accident program selection/starting when browsing or using control panel, etc.
-I've tried every fix with little or no improvement (e.g.; touchpad setting for Sensitivy, Palm Gaurd), upgrading drivers. My best fixes are: disabling gestures, disabling 'tap' to be used as a click, requiring a "tap" at the end of drag-n-drop, and applying scotch-tape to cover the touchpad and provide a tiny decrease in sensitivity. Other blogger report complete disabling drivers, and defaulting to Microsoft Windows default.
NO DEDICATED/INDEPENDENT TOUCH PAD KEYS
-It is awkward to use thumbs to do left-click and right-click using touchpad built-in buttons, as the touchpad is slightly recessed (lower than keyboard), and built in button are stiffer, and it is easy to swipe touchpad (moving curser) when trying to use built-in buttons. I'm sure this is common to any laptop using the combo touchapad-button, but the swiping is worse with the oversensative M5 touchpad.
BACKLIGHT KEYS
-I like this feature, but light leaks out from around the keys alot, very noticeable when viewed at an angle.
DRIVER & UPDATES
-As this is my second Acer laptop, do not expect Acer to update any software.

I hope this is helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy! Unacceptable quality!, November 7, 2012
Bought two Acer Timeline M5 laptops a month ago.
After an hour and 30 minutes on hold with Acer warranty, given a return number. Computer back in use within 10 days. Acer refuses to tell us a) what burned and b) what chemicals we were exposed to.
Second failure within 24 hours of receiving it back-- display died, case too hot to touch (can't remove battery, it's built in!)
Back at Acer for another 10 days lost service.
Computer two has an hdmi port defect, external monitor keeps losing signal. Also, case bottom has so much bow in it rubber feet don't all touch desk and it slides around while you are typing.
We aren't buying anymore Acers. Do you really want one?
11-29 update. computer video failed within 24 hours of return and has been returned for the third time! It took over two weeks, 6 phone calls and over 3 hours on the phone to get a return label this time! This computer has worked for two weeks out of two months! The only thing worse than their product is their customer service

2.0 out of 5 stars defective hard drive, October 24, 2012
zheng jin (san jose, ca United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this slick-looking M5-581T-6490 one month ago. Everything worked fine out of the box.

The first little trouble I ran into is the touch pad keeps doing strange zooming in/zooming out, and the mouse is difficult to control. Turns out the default setting turns on multi-finger functions. After some research, I turned it off. control Panel -> Mouse -> Touchpad, turn off all multi-finger function. After this, the touch pad was at mostt manageable, still not as good as my old laptop.

A few times when I turned on the laptop to use, instead of turning on as expected, it said, "Loading Update 1 of 40." Even AFTER I had selected the option that supposedly allowed me to choose whether or not to install updates. I had to wait about an hour for the updates to finally load, and nothing seemed to have changed or improved.

Then I installed Microsoft office, Acrobat, Visio etc. Suddenly, the laptop took a very long time to boot up the windows, and the mouse was constantly drawing in circles. Word, Visio, also slowed down for no reason. I tried many tips from online, like "disable all programs at startup", "uninstall McAfee", but none helped.

Finally, I spent $35 to have an IT Pro to run diagnostic. Bingo, a Hard Disc defect. Office software happens installed in that sector. The Video card RAM also has defect.

Acer said I can send the unit back, they will fix it, likely replace the hard drive but I will lose ALL installed software license.

The touch pad still bother me a little. I had enough with this unit, and decided to return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, December 5, 2012
I'm completely satisfied with this laptop. The keyboard is especially comfotable. The only negative comment I have is that all the USB ports are on the back. They would have been better on the side.

4.0 out of 5 stars overall good, November 14, 2012
Fast computer overall and fast internet response if compared with my wife's Macbook Pro. The battery life is incredible. The integrated software management features provided by Acer should improve. For example, the sleeping mode works randomly. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. I constantly have to turn on the computer again (fast booting though). I hope Acer look into this problem and communicate with its customers. Maybe from drivers updates, I don't know. This product would be almost 5 if Acer were more careful to design integrated management features that actually work.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Computer, September 30, 2012
Matthew Brien (Greenwich, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic laptop!!! It is lightweight and very portable. I am pleased with the speed of all the programs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acer TimelineU M5-581T-6490 15.6-Inch Ultrabook, September 26, 2012
Nice sleek metallic case.Good quality keyboard. Excellent Graphics. Kind of slow but I can live with that. All the ports are on the back edge so you have to turn the terminal around to plug something in. One USB port was not operable, but Amazon took care of a replacement immediately.

3.0 out of 5 stars EH, December 23, 2013
ASY (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
Has a lot of problems with the wireless strength and connection.
Otherwise, it's pretty good - a bit slow by today's standards.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good speedy machine, September 10, 2013
Arthur C. Wolfe (ann arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This is a fine fast-opening and quite light laptop which does everything I want in a laptop quickly and efficiently.