4.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed for the most part.
Published 17 months ago by shubhangi dhodapkar

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this computer. A lemon.
Let's see... where to begin. The touch screen broke first... it just doesn't work, and now the touch pad is broken. I have to use a USB mouse to even get the pointer to show up. That's two major things broken within a year. That's a pretty big fail.

Now, maybe I just got a lemon and every single other one works great, but this one... not so much. It seems the...
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm impressed for the most part., August 16, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-552P-X440 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (2.5 GHz AMD A10-5757M Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Cold Steel (Personal Computers)
This laptop isn't bad at all for the price. I bought this for college use and it will do that fairly well because of how thin and light it is. I was surprised that it even had a light up keyboard even when being so thin. The touchscreen couldn't be better, it's fluid and responsive. As for the CPU and GPU, before I get into that I'll say that my main computer before this was a custom built desktop with a AMD FX-4100 unlocked processor and an AMD Radeon HD 7770 as well as 8GB of RAM. The processor is clocked to 4.2GHz, and yet somehow, I prefer this laptop's AMD A10 CPU over the FX-4100. Both run the same Windows 8 OS, and yet, copying 12GB of data on the laptop took around 5 minutes, while doing the same on the desktop took more than twice that amount. There are many more situations where the A10 stood out against an overclocked FX chip. The A10 also comes with a built in GPU, as a competitor to Intel's HD Graphics 4000, and I must say, AMD has won this competition. The graphics is better than the graphics on my year old Dell XPS L502X, which is a big heavy laptop and was intended for performance, it came with an i7 and a Nvidia GeForce 525M. Some games like Syndicate do lag a lot even on lowest settings, but other games like Just Cause 2 and even Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 will be PLAYABLE at the highest possible settings. By playable I mean yes there will be a lower FPS, but it'll be high enough to play. Decrease the graphics settings a bit and both games play lag-less and with great graphics.

There is one issue when it comes to the hardware. I find the touchpad to be ridiculously annoying to use as it's not very accurate.The overall feel of the product seems very plastic-y and I expected a better feel for a laptop at this price. But then again, the materials used for it is the reason why it's not so heavy. Also the webcam quality sucks. It could have been way better. But I rarely use it so it doesn't bother me.

All in all I really like this laptop, but it did take some time to get used to it. People complained about the keyboard but for me it's just fine. It's a bit cramped but I can still type on it pretty fast. And as for the touchpad, you won't want to use it when you have such a great touchscreen. I recommend this laptop to everyone, regardless of whether you want a laptop for gaming, work, or entertainment. The speakers on it are tiny but they're loud and sound great with the surround sound option so watching movies on it is a pleasure as well. I bought this laptop with high expectations and in most aspects, this laptop surpassed those expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quicker, Not Thicker, Game it Upper., December 11, 2013
Everything I was looking for but one thing was included with this laptop.

PROS

- Powerful enough to run anything I need
- Enough memory to run anything I need (with upgrade possble)
- Video Card can run all the current games on acceptable settings.
- DOES have a backlit keyboard
- Touchscreen is responsive and a joy to use with Windows 8 (otherwise I would never have 8 on a system I own.)
- Lightweight and screen is crisp, clear, and performs well.
- The features included with the price paid makes it a great value in my opinion.
- 1TB HDD, enough storage for plenty of games and apps
- able to push it to over 3GHZ as oppsed to the 2.5GHZ standard setting, great for ramping up a few more FPS while gaming, and back down when just surfing.
- The Dolby sound that comes out of it is great. Crisp, clear, and impressive for such a small unit.

CONS

- no optical drive, I knew this going in so not a negative, anything this thin and light will not have one
- Windows 8 is much more of a joy to use with a touchscreen as it was intended, but it still has annoying features that I find more of a hinderance than a positive.
- would have like to of seen more USB connections on it.

For the money, this is a great desktop replacement to take with you on the go for gaming, working, or watching media. I recommend this to any gamer or businessmen looking for something to fulfill multiple roles with bonus features to satisy the nerd in you.

5.0 out of 5 stars great laptop, March 7, 2014
Upgraded software to 8.1and the drivers. Playing Thief and Battlefield 4 no problem. I love the lighted key board and touch screen. I didn't think I would use the touch screen but I find it easy to use in bed or on the couch. I have not one negative thing to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but...., April 11, 2014
I love the form factor.
Wish it had flip / tent or fold over screen
keypad is very light to the touch and is backlit!
A big plus for those of us who prefer to work in the dark.
I spend too much time looking at a computer screen to have the brightness turned up to compete with the house lights.

I was expecting fast but the large drive is very slow and takes away a lot from the whole.
Drive upgrade is not easy from what I read.
But with an SSD upgrade i expect I will be very happy.

The touch pad is fussy and a learning curve (where are the buttons?) but I don't care.
I use wireless a Logitech roller ball and the touch screen.

Don't try updating the drivers for the touch pad (and other) it will only make things worse.
if you did there are key combos to release it when it locks up.

Remove all the bloatware/virusware and it will go a bit faster and you wont feel like you are being attacked with popups.

Sound is very very nice
Windows 8 not so much.

Upgrade to Ubuntu is planed, I have heard of success stories with the touch screen.
I suspect it will fly ruining Ubuntu, my old brick of a dell laptop seemed like a powerhouse when I put Ubuntu on it.
But alas graphics cards don't upgrade with a better OS so it was time to buy a new laptop and I chose this one.

Windows 8 is more of a touch screen index menu wrapped around windows 7

I am sure there will eventually be some good apps on windows of interest to me that make good use of the touch screen but for now the touch screen was not the best investment for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Has What I Was Looking For!, August 19, 2013
If you are looking for a laptop that is fast, plenty of Hard Drive, USB ports, HDMI connector to hook to your TV, then this one may be one for you. I wanted speed, large hard drive, but the one thing I did forget to check was the CD Reader/Writer. It doesn't come with a CD Reader/Writer, but I ordered a external CD writer from Amazon for $28. Since I don't use CD that much, not a big deal to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than I Expected. I Am Impressed, April 18, 2014
This is a surprisingly delightful computer. Now, let me go on to explain. I'm not a gamer. But my work is online constantly. I wanted a laptop that had both power and speed. This Acer Aspire has both. But it even has more little features that surprised and delighted me. The touchscreen wasn't a requirement in my work, but it's rather nice. Especially for scrolling through web pages.

The heat vents go out the back, not the side. Another nice feature. There is also a heat vent that comes up through the keyboard. For some of you, that might not be a nice feature. For me, it's great! On those cold mornings, my fingers warm up nicely while I'm working. I haven't yet used my laptop in the heat of the summer, so I don't know what this vent might be like then. But, in the cold, yes baby - I love it!

I went for a month trying to use the sensitive touchpad. Then gave in and got a Logictech lapdesk with mouse tray and attached my wireless mouse. Now, I have the perfect laptop for my uses. It's easy to disable the touchpad and it stays off, even when I restart the system.

There is no CD drive in this laptop. I thought that might be an issue, but it turned out not to be one at all. I got an external drive and plugged it in for those very few times when I need it.

This laptop has incredible sound quality. Which was NOT a requirement for me, but another nice added feature. And the first time I saw a video on the screen, I was amazed. The picture quality was incredible as well. Another very nice feature.

Yes, I could have spent many more hundreds of dollars to get the speed and power that I wanted, but I didn't have to. The Acer Aspire gave it to me. With the addition of the mouse, I have my perfect working laptop. And I do my work sitting comfortably in a chair, couch and even propped up in bed. I am impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this laptop, January 3, 2014
This is the laptop I'm writing this review on, and so far it is GREAT! Superb performance in any task, and it's great for gaming, not extreme but all newer games work in medium-low which is good, I hope this one sticks around with me a long time :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything that i was looking for, more or less., April 27, 2014
After months of research i saw this on sale as a refurb unit and ordered.

Pros: beefy system in a small compact package. The AMD A10 ship in this beast has a nice integrated video card and has been able to handle most of the games that i have thrown at it. Audio is clear and jaw-dropping in quality. no CD/DVD gives it a much thinner footprint, something that I was looking for and aware of before purchasing.

Cons: the keyboard is warped at the left 1/3rd point due to re-assembly. I have put enough laptops back together (certed Dell laptop tech) to recognize that. however, it's not a deal breaker and it only seems to affect the key back lights, and gives a wavy pattern to the keys while looking at them. They function, so....I don't mind that much.

Over-all, would buy again at the price that i paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars HUGE DEAL LOVE IT, February 21, 2014
GrannyGoodWitch "NanBell" (San Jacinto, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I can't say enough about this laptop. Is it the BEST out there, the GREATEST, FASTEST, ETC? Maybe not but it is super fast with the AMD A10 chip, it's a QuadCore, have an enormous hard drive and a great TOUCH SCREEN, More than this 70 yr old granny will ever need. I am a X Microsoft Solution Developer so I know technology and I'm telling you you won't be sorry you bought this one. It had MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK, believe me I did my research.

5.0 out of 5 stars top notch Machine, August 18, 2013
has all the bell and whistles of any laptop out there. I researched the laptops out there and this one with the AMD 10 quad processor and 8gb ram was the best price for a machine like this with touchscreen in this price range. great bang for your buck!

The machine has a metallic shell and you feel the sturdiness of it when you hold it.