4.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for your buck
I bought this laptop from a different retailer for a much cheaper rate than what's listed here but I thought I'd write my review here as well.

Pros:
Touch screen
Backlit Keyboard
Big touchpad
Keyboard is very pleasant to type on
AMD A10/8560G Graphics APU
Very light
Very thin
Powerful speakers, says it has 4.
6GB...
Published 10 months ago by K. Singh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, plus a little bit of a lemon.
Published 4 months ago by Byron Kruger

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for your buck, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-552P-X617 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (2.5GHz AMD Quad-Core A10-5757M Accelerated Processor , 6GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8650G Graphics, Windows 8) Cool Steel (Personal Computers)

Pros:
Touch screen
Backlit Keyboard
Big touchpad
Keyboard is very pleasant to type on
AMD A10/8560G Graphics APU
Very light
Very thin
Powerful speakers, says it has 4.
6GB ram, better than the usual 4GB, up to a max of 12, which is pretty good.

Cons:
Dpad is the half key style which is terrible and barely usable being so small
Touchpad drivers aren't the best. 3 finger tapping can be enabled but doesn't work right.
Touchpad has too much friction is nearly impossible to use with default settings for scrolling. (I reversed 2 finger scrolling for usability); If the touchpad was smooth instead of this texture it'd be much more easy to use.
Battery life is a bit short but does meet the 4 hour usage time.

Other:
Screen resolution is a bit low at 1366x768
Could have better viewing angles.
These aren't cons because these are things are pretty standard.

This laptop has an APU rather than a regular CPU, this means that the graphics "card" is built directly into the Cpu's chip; both the cpu and gpu being on that single chip. Intel has started to do something similar but currently AMD is leading in graphics of course. This particular APU is the best AMD offers and at a sub $600 price is better than the intel offerings. To beat the performance of this chip, you'd need an i5 (no i3) or better and a powerful nvidia graphics chip to compare.
I am not one who is fond of Acer and for a long time this company has had quite suspect quality. But recently Acer has changed and have been paying more attention to quality, this notebook is proof of their efforts that has few complaints against it. This notebook looks well built and has powerful hardware that is hard to find at these lower price ranges, I believe I got a pretty good deal until the next generation of cpus and DDR4 comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars do it, April 29, 2014
I am a very picky laptop purchaser, I work at a hospital in the IT department I am in charge of fixing and maintaining many computers and brands. when my old gateway computer died, while I was in the middle of a in important project, I Immediatly went to work looking for a replacment. I had 5 or 6 main criteria for the computer,
1 Bench test at least twice as fast as my old computer
2 be under 500$
3 have decente graphics
4. have usb 3
5. have HDMI out
6 Have full keyboard

This computer meets all of those and more.
I pulled the SSD from my old computer and put it in the new one, This provided Marked Improvement in boot times, read/write times and general responsiveness, and being that I do quite a bit of photoshopping and video editing, I needed more memory.
Luckily the 4 gb stick from my old computer fit perfectly. giving me 8gb.

after the upgrades which only costed roughly 150$ 2 years ago, I was very pleased with the improvements in performance, Battery life, and useability of the computer.
even before the upgrades, the computer benchmarks in the 4000 range which is a tremendous improvement over the 1800 range for my old computer. which had a 2.4ghz processor 8gb of ram, and a 256ssd.

I checked every laptop I could find under 500$ and this one spec'd far better than the rest of them, this alone should be motivation for buying.

I was familiar with windows 8. And didn't like it, but decided to give it a try with this computer being as it had a touch screen. in the beginning, there were a few bugs, ie. google chrome desktop would crash every couple of days, and mircosoft office 2013 would stall when opening more than one project. I was frustrated, but microsoft and google quickly remedied the issues and now both work great.

I do not like, But do not use the touchpad, it is very unusual, and not intuitive, but the accuracy and response of the touch screen more than make up for it.

if you are hesitant about windows 8, I say just make the plunge, as long as your computer has a touch screen. it is awful without it. but with it, it's brilliant, hands down the best thing to happen to windows since chips challenge on windows 98.

overall:
pros:
- excellent value, could not find a better computer for the money
- excellent battery life 5 or 6 hours per charge with ssd
- responsive touch screen
- windows 8
- solid build, metal chassis with plastic exterior. should hold up well for a few years,(although one corner makes a clicky noise when you press on it. after 5 months of use
- full keyboard
- hdmi out, coupled with hippo remote turns this into a great video streamer, My nephews and I use it to play emulated N64 and SNES games on the bigscreen
- usb 3 is super fast.
- handles anything I throw at it from editing photos to videos.

Cons
- awful touchpad
- bland design
- windows 8 bugs in the beginings, now fixed as of 4/29/14
-lacking cd drive, which makes installing old software a pain in the butt
- oddly placed powerbutton - i turn off the computer whenever i try to plug in a usb cable

you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful laptop, December 19, 2013
I wanted something fast. Well be careful what you wish for. This AMD 10 is incredible. So far it is flawless. I love the screen clarity especially on my Slingbox streaming. I have a tiny 1.0 Ghz 10 inch Acer that is till running and I was sold on Acer products after using it for 3 years. I could not ask for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a pleasant surprise!, April 27, 2014
I was a little hesitant to buy this computer after reading some of the bad reviews. The price was way below retail so I took a chance anyway and I am really glad that I did. I'm not to fond of the windows 8 interface, but all of the new computers ship with it so I can't fault them there. Im a photographer on a tight budget, so I needed a high performance laptop at a low price $499 was a steal. Overall the performance is amazing! It runs Photoshop and adobe lightroom with little lag and it exports 24mp images very fast. The built in graphics card is good enough to play a lot of 3D games. The screen is crystal clear and very bright. There is a little bit of glare outside or near bright windows. I'm also a huge fan of the 4 built in Dolby digital speakers, really loud with out distortion. Its a really great buy and I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well so far, January 8, 2014
The tactil screen works well, can support Windows8, it runs fast with any issues.

The wireless reception is good in my home (I'm quite far from my router but I can get a good signal), the overall performances is good. The aluminium is hard and seems to be durable, also is a slim laptop, I'm very satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath taking, April 18, 2014
I absolutely love this laptop!! Literally it is worth every single penny you put into it. Best laptop ever for the price!!! 5 stars well deserved.

4.0 out of 5 stars The first one i got came out defective but this one Oooo baby, May 20, 2014
This laptop is GREAT, sure it's not mega powerful but I use the crap out of it and it can handle it. I Play games for like 8 hours straight , it doesn't heat up much and no freeze or any sort of issue. Games I play are MMO's like Path of Exile, DC universe Online, Neverwinter. And games like Fallout new vegas in ultra graphics.

The touch screen is awesome and this PC is super easy to use! Plus that windows 8 is amazing, especially when you update to 8.1. Ohh yeah and the space on this baby is great too. My Xbox 1 has 250Gb less lol.

But yeah I bought it for light gaming but it turned out to be able to handle much more than that! Super Fast Quad core for multi tasking. And I Love the snap feature. I play games and Snap SKype my bud all at the same time. Super clean PC. for $500 I got a lot more than what I payed for honestly.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a great Sexy looking PC that can handle good games. Oh! And of course it can Run Skyrim on ultra settings. Looks beautiful. Just put an HDMI to your tv and you're all set!

OH ONE BIG THING. Buy an amazon basics mouse because the touch pad isn't the best sadly lol. But no worries!

Anyways get your hands on this bad ass puppy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannot come close to beating this deal, January 18, 2014
It great especially for the buck spent on it. This is replacing my Acer TimelineX, which was an incredible machine but have a sickness that has me purchasing a new laptop all to often. Overall the performance is great on this new machine, the sound quality of the speakers is outstanding, the screen quality is outstanding, the touch screen is sweet didn't think i would like it as much as I do, the only concern is it seemed to get a little warm at first, and the fan was a bit noisy, but since most recent Windows update it seems to be running fine and have not noticed the issue, guessing it was a outdated driver or something. After owning this for several days to make sure it was the right fit, I decided to purchase a SSD, so I just in installed Samsung 840 Evo SSD, now this thing fires up in seconds, boot to desktop load speed is amazing now, launching and closing programs is close to instant. Great laptop stock and especially great with an SSD.

Pros- Good performance (would rather have an I-5 processor), touch screen is a nice feature, nice style, thin/compact design.

Cons - Only one memory slot which is annoying. They did not make it easy to access internals to change memory, hard drive, etc. Ports in back (have some advantage, but also annoying). Not necessarily a con but no optical drive. The touch pad is positioned such that this would be good for someone that is left handed, I seem to always click the right side or in the center, kind of drives me nuts, have never had this issue with a laptop. Seems to run kind of hot and is a bit noisier compared to my last Acer. Having the USB 3.0 and HDMI in some ways is annoying and difficult, I have come close a couple of times forgetting that my USB drive was plugged in back there and almost had it destroyed. Decent laptop but there are a definitely a few things to be aware of.

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems, June 30, 2014
Computer functions and displays as advertised. Ours came with the MS 8 as the operating system. The touch screen and the MS operating system has taken a little to get used to and navigate in. This would be the only downside for us but not really an issue for Acer. Besides the touch screen, the back lit key board is the feature we like the most. We are pretty easy to please.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, plus a little bit of a lemon., July 18, 2014
I bought this laptop after searching far and wide one the web and in the stores. It seemed to be the best value I could find for the features I was looking for. the sound was great, the graphics rendering smooth, the battery life long, and the light weight slim form factor got me hooked on the ultra-book ideal (thought this is not an ultra-book, it aspires to be one). these where all things this computer did better than my old Asus K52F with an i3 processor.

Unfortunately the one I got was a bit of a lemon. The power adapter failed in the first week. I was willing to work past that and I found a replacement for not too much money. Then before the first month of ownership was over the hard drive failed. Additionally, the power cord connection was finicky and was not able to maintain a charging state if the laptop moved at all (Admittedly this could have been due to the third party power adapter).

I was also worried about using the laptop the way I was used to using the Asus I was replacing. I am a student and my laptop lives on my back. While this particular model had a lot of features I liked I was not confident in it's ability to weather life crammed into a backpack full of books. It seemed sturdy enough for around the house use, but it did not seem nearly as sturdy as my old Asus.

Fortunately, I was within the easy return window, so I have sent the machine back to Amazon. While I will not buy this laptop again, and I may not buy an Acer again, I will definitely keep buying from Amazon.

It get's 3 stars because what it did it did well, but it lost stars due to the multiple failures and my lack of confidence in it as a rugged portable device.