5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far.
Published 20 months ago by KJB

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible network and streaming functions
Just like other buyers, I was weary.. what if

It has been almost 2 weeks, and I love my new laptop.
Touchscreen make Windows 8 much more user friendly then when used with a mouse.
I do have to say, that moving icons around the START menu was much easier with USB mouse.
I blew away all stuff I will never use, and personalized it under an...
Published 19 months ago by lalfie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great so far., March 8, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire V5-571PG-9814 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core i7-3537U Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) Silky Silver (Personal Computers)
I've had my V5 for a few day now, and I have to say that I am more than satisfied with my purchase. The only reason I almost gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is do to the confusion on the product page. The features list 1TB, but the product specs show 750GB. This confused me because this particular model only came out with 1TB. To help with the confusion anyone else may have, my pc arrived with 884GB of usable hard drive space and 917GB Total space. The rest is taken up by things necessary for the PC to function. My PC arrived on time through FedEx, with the sealed Acer box inside a shipping box. Upon initial start up it requested to register and gave a short 'how to' demo for general Windows 8 functions, which is very nice for those of us unfamiliar with it. Since the initial start up it has only taken my pc a few seconds to go from completely off to fully operational. The touch screen is very responsive, and I love having the option to use it and/or the keyboard/mouse pad. The onscreen writing/typing function is pretty nifty too, and the screen flattens out to almost 180 degrees so your not straining you're wrist while you're trying to write. The backlit keyboard is awesome as well, and seems to be set to shut off after a term of nonuse, so it will not interfere with movie watching or drain the battery. The battery life is another perk for me, and it really does seem to last the 5 hours it claims to with constant use. There is another review here listing issues with the Atheros driver, and yes, before I updated the driver my wireless dropped several times within a few hours. HOWEVER, it was a VERY quick and easy fix. You can get the updated driver straight from the Acer website as stated in another review. The picture quality is awesome for movies and/or gaming in my opinion. At least it is 200% better than my old Laptop (which was only 2years old.) The price tag on this PC is not outrageous either. All in all I would have to say that this computer is more than worth the price. I have been on it nonstop since I received it, and it has kept up with me every step of the way, without over heating or lagging. Truly a great Acer product.....*note* how fast the driver downloads will depend on your Internet provider and/or your connection speed slower connection equals longer download time. If you have problems with the wireless dropping during the download, connect it directly to the modem with something (like an Ethernet cable.) My connection speed is 28mbs+ dl so for me the download was pretty quick. Finding the driver download is pretty easy too. In the search bar on the left pull out type in atheros, and all of the files relating to it will come up (you must go down to files under the search bar) select the file that says atheros setup (or atheros install I honestly don't remember which.) It will bring up the setup wizard, and you should be good to go from there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it! Especially for older generations!, June 2, 2013
I am pre computer generation, but skilled enough to know what I wanted in a lap top. I use an I pad and I phone regularly so my habit is to touch the screen.....this computer allows me to switch from touch to manual at any given time...so it is perfect for someone who has old school habits intermixed with new school technology. The computer is everything as advertised and more....for a non-geek, I am thrilled at the vibrancy of the screen and the user friendly technology. The size is perfect ...not too big, but ample for "tired" eyes. Settings allowed for a deep purple background and automatically made complimentary text colors that work great. The backlit display is handier than expected. And the keyboard has a comfortable feel....by being larger, there is plenty of room to rest the palm of the hands while typing. The tutorials and support provided are thorough and simple to understand. And Windows 8? For those of us old enough to have had to transition repeatedly to new programs as the computer technology evolved so fast, this is a snap....I have connected it wirelessly to all of my devices including printer...and it works perfectly. Love it more than any computer so far....and, it is much less expensive then in store pricing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Laptop, May 31, 2013
Received laptop 2-day prime in good condition. Install instructions were straight forward. Followed a few prompts and I was up and running in what seemed to be 5-10 minutes - if that much. I did not have any hardware issues, outdated drivers, or wireless issues that some folks are indicating that they've had. My install was clean and quick. I rated 4/5 (would really like to give the machine 4.5 stars) because of some minor design questions that I had. In addition to that, my screen came with a damaged pixel on the screen (1 pixel is missing color). It is noticeable on a black screen, but I don't notice it when I'm working on normal browser or app windows. 1 pixel isn't enough to make me box it back up and demand a new machine.

My thoughts so far.

Laptop: sleek and sexy looking. brushed aluminum looks very nice. Screen is very clear, sharp, and easy on the eyes. I've not even bothered to set up my second screen as of yet! Love the back-lit keyboard. The keyboard itself has a nice touch to it, good response and appropriately sized for my hands. The touch pad is one solid pad (no right and left buttons) and some have mentioned that they don't like this. I don't mind as I usually "two hand" a touch pad anyway. I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, so I don't bother with the touch pad much and when I do, I can manage.

Things that I noticed:

-DC battery included does not have a "straight end connector" but rather has a right angled adapter end that plugs into the laptop. This is a bit awkward for my desktop layout because the cable needs to be adjusted forward or backward to lay the cable flat. Maybe this design keeps it from being pulled straight out of the power socket as a straight cable would do?? IDK. Just my own annoyance.

-Speakers are on the bottom of the laptop. Seems to me a better design would be on the top, across the length of the laptop above the function keys. Pandora was a bit muffled when I had the laptop laying directly on my lap instead of the lap desk. Sound improved with a lap desk holding the laptop, but still... I'll probably hook a Bluetooth speaker to it if I want better sound.

- Mini card reader (SD) is on the front left corner of the machine (which seemed weird to me) and I can see where it might get in the way or bumped if you leave it in.

- Video/RJ45 dongle - nice that the manufacturer includes this dongle to plug into the proprietary port for Ethernet or video support. Bummer that I need to find a convenient place to store it for quick use when I need it. I usually have my second monitor attached to my laptop when at my desk - this will just be another cable "mess" on the left side where all the ports are located.

-LOVE the touch screen. It seems to be point on. It has worked flawlessly for me using both included and custom apps and surfing the web. It really enhances my computer experience. One of the major reasons that I bought this model and I'm really glad I did. LOVE it!

Highlights:
- quiet
- cool running (did not overheat the entire time it laid flat on my lap without a lapdesk)
- screen is sharp - touch screen is AWESOME
- keyboard is comfortable (back lit keyboard is very nice)
- battery charged to 100% in about an hour (I wasn't paying close attention as I wasn't in the room while it was charging)
- battery lasted roughly 4 hours for me (again, I didn't pay attention to when I exactly unplugged). I was listening to Pandora and installing multiple programs, so this probably taxed the power consumption.
before it - without warning - shut down. To be fair, the screen did darken about an hour before shutdown and give me a warning, but when it actually shut down, it didn't even say "I told you so!".
- Light weight. 5.5 lbs. Much lighter than my Dell Inspiron. Will be much easier carrying around.
- Fast. 3rd generation i7 CPU and 8G RAM is a nice upgrade for me. I'm confident that it will last me a while.
- All ports are on the left side as other reviewers have mentioned. Not a problem for me.

Windows 8
- I actually like it. I'm a Linux gal at home and Windows gal at work. Experiencing new OS's is not an issue for me because if I don't like what they give me, I create it how I want it.

- Installed RocketDock.com dock (apple dock) and loaded my most used programs on it.
- installed classicshell from sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/) to give me a start menu that Windows 8 has removed in this OS.

OVERALL: I highly recommend this laptop. It's an affordable option for someone looking for a fast machine with touch screen

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible network and streaming functions, April 24, 2013
Just like other buyers, I was weary.. what if

It has been almost 2 weeks, and I love my new laptop.
Touchscreen make Windows 8 much more user friendly then when used with a mouse.
I blew away all stuff I will never use, and personalized it under an hour.

Swipe from right, you get the 5 charms of generic options... search, share, start, devices and settings
I love my Picture password option to log into my PC. it is neat.
swipe from bottom, I see all apps, I am having fun exploring... I do not see this as a disaster, I like it.

I have loaded Adobe Element 11, Panasonic HD writer AE, Arcsoft Media Impressions HD3, ULEAD 6.0
( runs fine, just edited project and burned DVD), microsoft Office 2000, no glitches, no blue screens.. everything
so far is running smooth.

I will try to create HD movie sometime next week, and will provide update.
When my personal backup data drive gets scanned, it creates another app icon, when I go to it,
I see another start menu type icons with all pictures, video and music... It is awesome to glance at it
from time to time and see pictures from years back...

I have nothing bad to say... and this thing called "backlit keyboard" it is pretty, but I have not found any use for it.
Battery will be definite problem with time, but what did you really expect as default battery?? 9V brick?
Then you would complain how ugly and bulky the battery is... I will order upgrade when the battery dies.

Update on 5/9/2013

Only problem so far is the DVD-RW application used with Windows Explorer.
I had to delete and re-install the DVD-RW driver, but still get intermittent
"DVD drive is not recognized" when dragging files to the DVD-RW drive.
I used different application, ULEAD DVD recorder, and everything works well.

HD processing worked fine with applications that I have been given.
Very happy with the purchase.

*****************

Update Feb 22nd 2014

Choppy stream of olympic site, where my work Lenovo T410 is flawless.. what the hell!!
Buffers all the time, even trying to pull up flash loaded sites is taking forever.
CD burning function still does not work... I would like to burn this thing tomorrow

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone having WiFi issues with their new acer touchscreen Laptops, March 4, 2013
I wanted everyone having WiFi issues to know that's it's an easy fix. Go to the acer website [...] and download the newest Atheros wireless lan driver. Once you do that go to System Device manger in your control panel.Goto network adapters and look for the atheros driver goto to uninstall and reboot your computer. Then install the new driver 217v3 once you do that it should run smoothly. I haven't had any problems since I've installed the new driver. Watching movies on this computer is only average. If you look from the right or left the movie becomes unwatchable, you need to look directly in the center. They could have made the screen more vibrant!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Apparently Hit and Miss...which no-one wants to pay $900 for., May 20, 2013
H.K. (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop recently and am returning it. As other reviewers mention, the wireless is terrible - even after installing the latest version (10.0.0.225) from the acer site. Bluetooth would also fail to function properly, my paired devices would lose connectivity, then when trying to reconnect I was unable to do so and was also unable to easily remove the device. I'd have to manually uninstall the device via the device manager. It is possible that the Bluetooth was in conflict with the wireless signal, however, I don't think this is a valid excuse for acer since other manufacturers combine these without any problems. Also, I can confirm the dysfunctional space bar. First thing you'll notice about this laptop should you decide to purchase it, is the flimsy construction - it looks warped and bowed, but it is also light and thin. The touch-pad is also unwieldy as others have mentioned although this may not be unique to this item. I will certainly admit that the specs are unmatched at this price point - and that is enticing. Some useful info; if you want to use a wired LAN, you'll need to plug in this adapter that comes with the laptop. Also, I recommend installing "Classic Shell"(or something similar, that will restore the Start Button and menu) for first time Windows 8 users as that will make it a lot easier acclimate to the new UI.

All in all, I cannot say I am too disappointed in this product as acer has a reputation for cheap, poorly functioning products. It looks sleek physically and the specifications seem too good to be true - they are. If you don't need bluetooth and and/or a persistent wireless connection, don't need a working spacebar and want a nifty Touchscreen laptop then maybe this will work for you. Credit where due: The touchscreen worked great with Win 8. I have a hard time imagining working in Win 8 and not having a touchscreen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little computer, May 18, 2013
I love the touch screen, high end processor, backlit screen and keyboard and placement of all the ports on the left side (good for right handed users, for lefties, not so much!). The letters on the keyboard are placed off-center, upper-left, which is essential for anyone who wishes to apply foreign keyboard decals over their keyboard.

On the down side, I don't much care for the touch-pad with left and right buttons built-in and concealed. Um, if it's not broke, why did you fix it? It was working just fine the way it was!

At the moment, CostCo has this on sale on their Web site for $700 (with two year warranty, concierge tech support, and 90-day no restocking fee return policy).

3.0 out of 5 stars How in the world did they allow a uni-touch pad out the design door?, May 8, 2013
11/9/2013 update. After successfully restoring my Acer, I am not having connectivity issues anymore. Go figure. Also I set the uni-pad tap to OFF. I upgraded to windows 8.1 but did not like having MSN email control my computer so I restored back to windows 8. I changed my star ratting from 1 to 3 because the connectivity issue seems to be resolved, and the uni-pad is much more useful with tap set to OFF. I don't click on links accidentally with it set to OFF. As a side note, I had reconnected the second antenna wire, before the hard drive issue, because the connectivity issue had returned with it disconnected.

11/7/2013 update. I bought a 500gig hard drive, and installed it. My Acer is coming back to life, it is resetting which apparently is a long process. It is at 20% so far. The hard drive was $65 so not to bad. Also I ordered a Toshiba from the Toshiba web site. They let you pick the hardware and OS you want. I picked windows 7 and that includes a windows 8.1 upgrade disk. If you are shopping for a laptop give the Toshiba site a look.

11/2/2013 update. I bumped my computer, and the hard drive locked up. This Acer is bricked. I don't want to invest even $28 for online help for this poor piece of equipment. I am now using my 6 year old gateway which is so much better than my Acer but lacks sufficient hard drive space and has no hdmi output. I now have to buy another laptop after shelling out $879.99. What a huge disappointment. I will never buy an Acer product again. They make them as cheap as they can, even their high end models. Windows 8 wasn't thought out very well either to tell you the truth. I am so tempted to switch to an Apple product.

9/28/2013. Update. The connectivity has degraded. For the past two months I am struggling with the wireless connector with this computer. I changed my rating from 4 stars to 1 star. The wireless connectivity just drops and drops and drops. It is like the computer only allows you to reach 3 megs of downloading, then it just stops. I find myself using my old computer and realize how much better my old computer is. I can no longer recommend this computer, and you should pretty much scratch Acer from your shopping list.

A solution to the connectivity issue is a hardware mod. Basically you remove one of the antennas. I have done this tonight and it seems to be working. The instructions for doing this can be found here:

[...]

=======================================

This computer has two issues.

The first issue is the new combined right click left click and touch pad into one sucks. What a bad, bad, bad idea. Does it save all that much money for the manufacturers to leave off the separate left and right mouse click buttons? The problem is if you don't look down at it, you will find yourself pressing the wrong spots for the mouse clicks. Couldn't they have at least put a raised bump on the click spots like the letters F and J have on the keyboard? While browsing the web, the uni-pad will suddenly send you to an advertisement site or to who knows where because you pressed the wrong spot on the uni-pad. Also the cursor will move off the mark when you press where you think is the click spot. Very frustrating, just a terrible design change. I don't use a usb mouse because I use my laptop on my lap.

The second issue is that the space bar does not work well. It will not type a space about 30 percent of the time. You really have to hit it hard for it to work consistently. I removed the space bar thinking there might be debris under it preventing it from working consistently. There was no debris, it is just poorly designed. There is a little button directly centered under the space bar and pressing the right side of the key will not press down that center button. I advise you not to remove the space bar to check for debris because it is very difficult to get it back on. There are two hinged pieces of wire that clip onto the space bar that are very tricky to get back on.

Everything else about this computer I like quite a bit. The touch screen is great. It is responsive and functional. It makes paging through pictures or scrolling down a web page wonderful. This computer is pretty fast. It has a fast processor and a separate graphics card which is nice. It boots up in seconds and closes just as fast. The display is shiny, which I like, not a matte finish. It has a full keyboard with all the PFkeys and the lighted keyboard is a nice touch. This is the first computer that I have with a hdmi output. This is an awesome idea. You can play youtube or other video content from this computer onto your high def TV and you get a perfect picture. I bought a 25 foot hdmi cable for 13 bucks that easily reaches the TV from my computer on my chair and watch video on TV. You won't need to get up and put a thumb drive into your tv, just play the movie straight from you computer. Great!

I have no issues at all connecting to wifi. No drops, not connecting issues, no problems what so ever. If anything it seems like my upload speed has increased. My download speed is the same as my other computers.

The card reader on this computer seems low tech. It is just a friction fit. It feels awkward pushing it into the slot. It is not a spring loaded slot like other equipment has. To remove the card you pull it out by the part sticking out from the slot.

About windows 8, it is almost not bad. Instead of moving the cursor to get to the spot where the old start bar was, you need to press the windows key which is on the bottom row, 3rd key in. It is still windows with it's poorly schemed software. MCafee will pop up periodically and you have to hunt to find how to close it, adobe will hijack your internet and pop up an update window, the picture software will pop up and say there is a better app to view photos but when you pick the updated app it will not view that type of picture, etc. But that is what we have been trained to live with ever since windows was introduced. With windows 8, at first you will not be able to find how to do something and get frustrated. But for most everything that you want to do there exists a tip how to do it. Thank goodness for google to find these tips.

I give this computer 4 stars instead of less because everything besides the hardware keys is fine. Most other manufacturers now have the uni-bad. The space bar is a pain but by hitting it hard or repositioning your right hand to press it more in the center makes it just about useable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer V5 not bad for gaming, March 9, 2013
HaloRockz (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my first Acer product and wow really do enjoy using it. i wanted a tablet/laptop hybrid like the Surface Pro. i decided not to get the surface because the 10" screen was just to small for me and i wanted to play games the surface is able to play skyrim but on low settings and it can't handle BF3. alot of people dont like windows 8 i enjoy it but it did take me a few hours of using to learn the new os and with a touchscreen makes it really fun to use. now im a gamer and this laptop isnt on par with alienware but i didnt expect that. i installed starcraft 2, diablo 3, skyrim and alot of old school games, age of empires 2, empire earth, and halo 1. all running on high/ultra settings besides skyrim mid settings runs smooth. people with the wifi issue download the new driver on acer's website. its a 200mb+ file took about 11 mins to download pretty huge for a driver but it fixed the issue with the wifi. i bought the Case Logic LAPS-116 15 - 15.6-Inch Laptop Sleeve and it fits great for this laptop no room for the charger but i got a backpack for everything. the 1366 x 768 is pretty low for a 15" and the viewing angle isnt great. you have to be in front of it to really see the picture. i didnt want to spend 1k+ for laptop since my desktop is my main gaming pc so this guy fits the bill. looks nice with the backlite keyboard stays cool at all times no overheating. it's been less then a week but have been using it everyday since i got it testing each game no issues so far and touchscreen on age of empires and empire earth and star craft 2 is very cool. i bought the Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse *bluetooth* since a touchpad isnt ideal to playing games no issues with bluetooth. another reason i got this is because its very slim but yet they got to fit an optical drive very useful when you need it. also the battery is replaceable which is a must since laptop batteries last 1-2 years before givig out no need to open the case or any of that nonsense. also get the SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Accident Protection Plan peace of mind for 3 years whats not to like.

5.0 out of 5 stars College Bound, August 23, 2013
My son has an interest in studying graphic design and TV/Film. He wanted a laptop that could handle professional editing and design software. I am in the same business and I know it takes a good load of hardware to handle these programs. I spent weeks looking for the right laptop. The way this computer was equipped fit the bill. He had it a couple of weeks before going to school and ran it through some tough workouts and all he could say was, WOW! Performance is amazing. Acer makes good stuff and this machine is at their top of the list. Looks good too.