4.0 out of 5 stars The latest from Acer

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes up and has wifi issues
Published 10 months ago by Alicia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The latest from Acer, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire V7-582P-6673 16-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (Cold Steel) (Personal Computers)
Hi, I just received this new Acer Aspire V7 from Amazon.com. I am typing this review from my new laptop and would like to share the first review. I have owned plenty of other laptops from various manufacturers in the past, including Apple, Toshiba, Asus, Acer, etc. I was drawn to this particular laptop because of the Generation 4 Haswell processor. As of this writing, this is one of the first laptops to offer the Haswell chipset. The keyboard is fairly spacious and the keys are pretty tactile and responsive.

I am happy to report that my wifi has been working flawlessly so far. No hangups or dropped connections! The new sony pro 13" and macbook air both have/had their share of wifi problems. I'm glad that this computer is working fine out of the box!

The trackpad is probably the only minor downfall (besides windows 8), the track-pad is a little fidgety when it comes to scrolling pages up and down. Otherwise it works decently. I will be purchasing a new Bluetooth mouse anyways, so this wont effect me too much.

Pros:
Generation 4 Haswell Intel Processor
8GB of Ram standard (most still offer 4GB)
Less than 1 inch thick
Under 5 lbs
7.5 Hour battery life! (I have not had this laptop long enough to verify this. But I will update when I get some more battery only usage).
Sleek, clean professional look
Backlit keyboard
Excellent price ~815.00 as of this writing.
Relatively small power brick and cord. NOT apple magsafe small, but still smaller than other PC laptops. The power brick is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.
Super tight and strong hinge. The screen will not budge and is very firm.
Loud speakers, (I'm not saying they sound good, but they are loud!)
Perfect display, no dead pixels etc.
Lots of HDD space
Very fast for 90% of all computing tasks (not for gaming though)
Runs cool and quiet. The bottom of the unit gets warm, but nothing too uncomfortable.

Cons:
Windows 8 ( I really dislike this OS., I much rather use Mac OS or Win 7)
Cheap packaging,
Horrible manuals and documentation. Pretty much nothing included.
No backup disk of any sort
Most of the ports, including power is on the back of the unit! the only ports on the side are 1 USB on each side, 1 headphone and 1 SD slot.
Tons of stupid bloatware (useless free software).
Crappy low resolution front camera, but its fine if you just want to skype.
Tiny power button located on the side. Not a big deal but it could get bumped in a bag or case.

I hope my review helps you when making a choice, I took one for the team and ordered this without any prior reviews. Glad its working out so far!

++++UPDATE++++

The external power button on the side of the unit is not a problem. When the laptop is off and the lid is shut, the power button is inactive. So you don't need to worry about it accidentally turning on while in a laptop case/bag.

Unit boots up in about 12 seconds! (from fully off)

Wifi still working very well. Strong signal bars, solid connection off of my AT&T u-verse wireless router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, November 23, 2013
Would be five star if not for win8. Very nice laptop, fast boot up, Battery lasts about 5-6 hours on full charge, USB 2 and 3 ports, HDMI port and SD card reader. What more do you need. Got it for my 15 year old daughter, she loves it. Touch screen is nice. Touch pad not as responsive as would like but daughter seems to have mastered it in a short time. I use it with bluetooth mouse and it works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Sleek, December 6, 2013
Been using this for a few days and so far it's great. Giving it 5 stars because most of the issues are a simple fix by a setting change. Might update after I've used it more.

*Edited on March 2 2014
*The 20GB ssd is an msata which is easy to swap out if you ever want to upgrade it
*Only one ram slot, 4GB DDR3. The other 4GB is on the motherboard itself
*For the battery life it has, It charges rather fast.

-Touchscreen works wonderfully, I find myself using it more that the track pad
-Track pad clicking was a little bit of a learning curve but you get used to it rather quickly
-Resolution is a little small at 1366x768 But picture looks clear to me, no pixilation or distorts
-I'd recommend changing what the Power button does, I accidentally shutdown a couple times unknowing to me that I pressed it.
-It does come with a lot of pre loaded software, but almost every pre-build system comes with them. They are easy to uninstall
-CAD, gimp, and word all work fast.
-Backlight keyboard is nice with the ability to toggle it on/off
-Been averaging 8 - 9 1/2 hours of battery life depending on power plan & usage.

If you update to 8.1 via the store, Acer has the drivers you need if you get an outdated driver message.
[...] Search for V7-582PG and double check your installed drivers in device manger before you download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Aspire Touchscreen, January 7, 2014
I got this laptop on a lightning deal so for the price I paid it was an amazing deal. I was bummed to learn upon arrival that it didn't have a DVD/CD ROM drive but I guess that is my fault for not reading the specs clearly before ordering. I can't complain though because most of the entertainment viewing I do is streaming online anyway so I will rarely miss having the DVD Drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Acer Aspire V7 Holds Up! ********UPDATE********, July 31, 2013
Matthew (North Carolina. USA) - See all my reviews
When I read some of the reviews for this product, I was a little discouraged from purchasing this notebook. I received it today and I can definitely say that the negative reviews are from people that are very picky! For the price, this notebook is a quality piece of technology! The only issue I have is the lack of a better quality screen, but it is something that can be easily looked over. The WIFI is not causing me any problems at this point, but will update after I have used it for a couple of day! IT IS A VERY NICE PRODUCT FOR THE PRICE!

**********UPDATE************

What's up AMAZON Costumers? I did a short typed review on the Acer V7-582p-6673 a couple of weeks back the day I received the product. I see know that I was not very clear on the review of this product and I apologize for that, but I had only had it for a day! I am now doing a video to show how great the webcam is and a more in-depth review. The first V7 I received it had to go back that night, because I received what is called a lemon. Which in short terms, means a bad product out of a group of perfect ones. I contacted Amazon and they had one shipped to me over night, so I was without a computer for less than 24 hours! Which is GREAT Now that I have had this Acer V7 for a couple of weeks I can now do an in-depth review! First, the positives of this products! First things first...it's beautiful! The sleek metallic lined cover is very professional with a hint of coolness to it. The inside is the same color, just not as metallic, but still very nice. Second....The keyboard has Chiclet keys, which are small flat keys that are separated for comfort. Some people will give this a negative review, due to the fact that they are used to high raised keys that have highly notable pressure points to know exactly when you are hitting the keys. I myself do not have a problem with this keyboard at all. I actually put it in the positive review because of the key style and them being well responsive keys. The third positive review is the touch screen! IT IS HARD TO SAY MORE THAN IIII LOOOVE IIIIITTTT! If you have a tablet or don't having a touch screen is awesome especially with windows 8. (Hint: Windows 8 is a lot simpler with a touch enabled computer than one that is not.) More on Win. 8 later. The touch screen comes with handwriting to text recognition, which is almost scary, how well it reads your handwriting. You can quickly scribble a word or words and it will pick it up pretty fast. If you can't get it to...just click the word and choose which you would like. The software will learn your handwriting after using it for a while. Now the next is the middle line of positive and negative. WINDOWS 8!!! If you know Microsoft, they come out with a crazy, lake of a better word, o s then the next is awesome! Even though people hate windows 8, it is quite fun and easy to use when you get used to it!!! There are hundreds and hundreds of apps, software, and games that barely take of space, but are powerful that are awesome! It my opinion the free stuff is better than the paid. Second the disk drive...or lack thereof! This is not really a negative, but not a positive either. Thanks to streaming, downloading software, and other ways to push disks/cds/dvds into the past, you really do not a cd/dvd player anyway! If you really want one...pay 10 dollars and get a really nice USB one from AMAZON!!! I USE IT AND IT IS GREAT! The last middle of positive and negative reviews is the resolution! For a nice touch screen computer that can run pretty good games...which people say it is not good for but I disagree? PORTAL BTW RUNS GREAT! The system does not have the best resolution! When you are used to a 1080p screen... and then receive a computer with (what the companies call 1366*768) it is not as great...GO FIGURE! What people don't understand is the (I) and (p) after the second resolution number. The native/recommended highest resolution 768 is actually 720i! Which is higher than 768!!! It is close to 720p, but for those that are really picky...they will notice it. When most people...me being a gamer, with a PS3 and a desktop that can play any game at the highest graphics...I just needed a simple computer for school. So the resolution is just fine! AND LAST! People that complain about connection drops from the internet...I have no idea what these people are talking about! I have not had one drop that's is even before the 52 updates it needed upon opening the box!!! So...GET THE COMPUTER!!!! To sum up....ITS THIN....LIGHT....BEAUTIFUL...FUN...ALL AROUND GREAT COMPUTER!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars and I'm glad I did, August 6, 2014
Travellyr (Washington, USA) - See all my reviews
Windows 8 is designed for a touchscreen. I wasn't going to get a touchscreen laptop, but then this was a Cyber Monday deal... and I'm glad I did. I've used Windows 8 on machines without touchscreens and the difference is night and day. It feels natural on the touchscreen and a huge pain in the neck on my mom's non-touch-screen laptop.

The machine works fast, and the processor has enough power to cope with my habit of having open more tabs than is reasonable or sane. Keyboard is comfortable, and it does what I use a laptop for: late-night surfing in bed and traveling to conferences and meetings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love All of It - Responsive, Huge Battery Life, March 4, 2014
I couldn't be happier with this purchase. This touch screen Windows 8 machine is perfect to replace my laptop. It came well packaged and protected and booted right up without even needing to plug it in over night. The touchscreen works perfectly and the touchpad is very responsive. This machine comes with a lot of great Windows tiles already installed. It comes on immediately whether it's in sleep mode or starting up from a power down. I think that the confusion and difficulty others have experienced with Windows 8 comes from not understanding that the system is performing functions which may sometimes make it run more slowly, because it's not as obvious that system functions are going on with this OS. I'm absolutely in love with Windows 8 (upgraded to Win 8.1 first thing) and how it runs on this Acer. A beautiful, elegant machine. Small, light brick with the 2 part cord, Hours and hours of power (easily did an 8 hour day at work without even bringing my cord), nice screen size. Easy keys for increasing screen brightness and other functions. Love the backlighted keys--awesome! What a great ultrabook! Why did I wait so long for a touchscreen Windows 8 machine?

1.0 out of 5 stars Freezes up and has wifi issues, February 12, 2014
Alicia (Sedona, AZ) - See all my reviews
I spent months searching for a new computer and settled on this one. I was replacing my old HP due to the fact that it had slowed down quite a bit, was freezing up, and was just old. I honestly think this brand new computer has more issues freezing up than my 5 year old HP. It often fails to recognize the wifi signal in my house or office and I have to restart in order to get it to pick up the signal again. It freezes quite a bit when I am doing very basic things like sending email. When I turn it on in the morning, it can take upwards of 5 minutes for the internet to register. For a computer of this price I am hugely disappointed.

Otherwise the computer is nice. As others have mentioned, the resolution is pretty poor. Again, my old HP had better resolution than this does but that doesn't really bother me. The track pad is also a pain as others have noted but I can deal with that too. It's light, the touch screen is nice and responsive and the unit is sleek. I actually really like the keyboard. But I work from home and 100% of my work is online so having a reliable internet connection is crucial and so that's a deal breaker for me.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product. I could have spent less for a better machine. I won't purchase an Acer again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, February 1, 2014
Jim (Rowlett, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my first Acer laptop and really enjoy a lot of the features this model provides such as the 20 GB SSD, 8 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive. Battery life was important to me and I haven't been disappointed but I also haven't determined if I get a full 7.5 hours as advertised. This is also my first experience with a touchscreen laptop and didn't know how much I would use it. It turns out I use it almost exclusively. I've been using it on and off for about 6 weeks and I'm still learning how to use MS Windows 8.1. It definitely takes some effort to learn the new interface as compared to say MS Windows XP, but does seem to be a step in the right direction. The backlit keyboard is fantastic and I'm glad it was a feature in this model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious Touchpad Issues, June 13, 2014
When I opened the box up, I thought this computer had a nice look to it. After awhile using it though, I have to say that I hate the trackpad. It's way too sensitive and overreacts to every touch. It's easily the worst I've ever used. I'd rather go back to the nub that my Thinkpad had 14 years ago. I don't think this computer is worth the price. Then again, I don't use the touchscreen. If you use the touchscreen, you might like this ultra book a lot more than I do. If the trackpad is important to you though, choose another laptop.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›