5.0 out of 5 stars Progression and Comparisson in Pedro the Lion
Published on July 6, 2004 by seannyff

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh
I am a HUGE Pedro the Lion fan. I own every album and know the lyrics to every song. My excitement for the release of this album was lost when I actually listened to it. The lyrics weren't as meaningful as they were on previous albums. I couldn't get into this album, despite my many efforts. Many say that this is the best they've heard yet, but I disagree. The CD is...
Published on August 6, 2005 by thetradeback

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Progression and Comparisson in Pedro the Lion, July 6, 2004
"seannyff" (orlando, fl usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
hardcore Pedro fans are engaged in deabte over the validity of Achilles Heel because it's just so different from Control. sneaky Mr. Bazan had us all thinking we were getting the next chapter in the concept album saga, but read the bio page on pedrothelion.com. Dave himself says he intended a less novelistic approach, and that he wanted people to hear how much fun the record was to make.
see, Control is an album of zero hope, complete dispair, and impossible escape so well done that it attaches itself to you and gets too far inside your head (as a result it's still one of my favorite albums ever). Achilles Heel is in many ways better because it doesn't force itself upon the listener. you don't have to listen to all 11 songs start to finish to get the full effect of what Bazan is communicating. this has some fans scoffing as if there was something wrong with the lyrics or the music was bland.
the secret to enjoying Achilles Heel is not expecting it to be another Control, or Winners Never Quit, or anything else you've heard before. take it for what it is: the album of Bazan's career.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better, not Best, February 4, 2005
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
Any band that relies so heavily on tradgedy and pain for inspiration sooner or later has to look to the sunny side of life and that is what Achilles Heel is for Pedro the Lion. The lyrics still reflect some of the heavier themes, but the music is lighter. On Control, which I consider a master stroke of concept album brilliance, the guitars plod along and that matches the mood of the album, but this time around things are lighter. The music prances from verse to verse with a sense of being incredibly playful. The lyrics are as razor sharp as ever. Certianly what sets Pedro the Lion apart are the lyrics. The mastery in crafting every verse and chorus apparent on all previous albums remains on this one.

Many people have knocked this album for being different from the others. Personally I like to see a band evolve and I think this is just another step in that evolution. As Pedro the Lion gets older the music is bound to change as the band does. The is a breath of fresh air from a band that enjoyed choking on self-induced smog. I'm rooting for a concept album follow-up but until then I'll listen to this album and the pedro the lion backlog of greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pedro's best yet, February 5, 2005
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
This is definitely Pedro the Lion's best album to date. David's singing has improved tremendously and is smoother than ever. The lyrics are incredibly catchy and by the second time you listen to the album, you'll already find yourself singing along. The keyboard is a great addition, proving that Pedro the Lion is always looking for new ways to innovate yet still maintain that distinct sound we have all grown to love.

"My old man always swore that hell would have no flames

Just a front row seat to watch your true love pack her things

...and drive away"

5.0 out of 5 stars i've hesitated to say it, but..best album yet., January 15, 2005
J. Nelson (prince george, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
And that really is a heavy statement, given how much I enjoyed all of his previous work...notably "Winners Never Quit" and "Control."

As has been mentioned repeatedly, there's a definite departure from the overall concept album, with each track being a story in itself. While the album is a bit more upbeat than anything in the past, I think there's a very tragic element retained. I'm not a religious person, so I can't exactly identify to some of the themes discussed, but he makes it easy to empathize, and I hope those that do maintain a religious life are not put off by what they may hear..things like some objectionable language(I found it to be effectively used, rather than superfluous...such as the use of "the F word" in the song Foregone Conclusions, which portrays a sort of poetic irony). As some have mentioned, there really isn't a weak track on the album. The first time I listened to it...I loved each song as it came..and I kept thinking, "this can't possibly get any better," but repeatedly it did. My personal favorite tracks:

Arizona, Foregone Conclusions, A Simple Plan, Transcontinental, The Fleecing

Though...every song is absolutely wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evolution, June 23, 2004
"jrwillits" (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
I have been a huge Pedro the lion fan for a long time. This album is one their best. They, and by they I mean David, has come a long way since "Whole." As he changes as a person, so does his music. I personally love a lot of his old lyrics that really gave a different perspect on God which was quite refreshing. He does still have some of that in Achilles Heel, but not as much. When I had the privilege of seeing him in concert after the release of Achilles Heel, someone asked him why he didn't play his old stuff very much. He basically said that it was a different time in his life and that some of that stuff "just doesn't apply any more." I think he is a much different artist now. However, he still connects on that same level. Achilles Heel goes back to his old style of "It's hard to Find a Friend" except better. I would strongly recommend this album to anyone. David is a tremendous writer and sometimes I don't really understand what exactly he is talking about. But, I guess that's the beauty of it, because you can make it mean whatever you want to.
Favorite Quote ~ "The Poison" - "My old man always swore that hell would have no flames, just a front row seat to watch your true love pack her things, and drive away..."

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best Pedro Release to date, June 3, 2004
"listentothisorelse" (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
If you haven't picked up Achilles Heel you should do so now. You most likely won't be disappointed. Especially if you are into Bazan's past works. I personally believe this album is amazing. All the cuts are great and can be listened to over and over again. Dave Bazan's lyrical storytelling continues with this release and I am sure we will see it with the next.
I recently had the opportunity to see Pedro w/Death Cab... it was an amazing show. I would give you a list of the best tracks but they are all so good, I just can't pick. Buy it, listen to it, appreciate it, enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars indie rock dostoyevsky, May 31, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
Musically, this is Bazan's strongest work, with TW Walsh collaborating. Lyrically similar to the last two Pedro the Lion LPs, Achilles' Heel expands on themes of human failings, longings, and our darker impulses. Smart, insightful, and deliberate, Bazan and Walsh have made an album that challenges the listener long after the music stops playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Listeners., August 30, 2004
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
I've known about Pedro the Lion for years. Don't ask me why i haven't given him the time of day. I could'nt give you a decent answer.

Recently while talking to a friend he highly suggested the song, "I Do."

I bought the song, and after listening to it once. Didn't know what to think.

But then i decided that it was worth it to give it another listen. So, i did.

Dave's music does not have an "in your face" quality that attracts you suddenly. It creeps up on you. Seduces you. And after a few listens, you're utterly addicted.

This is a great CD for new listeners to start off with. If you're just wondering what Pedro is all about, check out this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pedro the Lion's "Achilles Heel", July 10, 2004
Sam S. (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
Achilles was a mighty Greek who fought in the Trojan War, and was the hero of Homer's Iliad. Achilles was the son of the mortal Peleus and the Nereid Thetis. Achilles fate is well-known and he died after being wounded by an arrow to his heel. To me "Achilles Heel" is the work of talented musicians, who worked to produce an album unencumbered with fancy production or superfluous effects. It represents a return to the basics that Pedro the Lion has always preferred. While I don't know what the title of the album means of David Bazan and TW Walsh, for me it is a statement about what other musicians are doing wrong. The Achilles heel of many contemporary musicians is computers, synthesizers and over-production in my opinion. Music doesn't need to be refined to a state of perfection to be good. Pedro the Lion's "Achilles Heel" is clearly evident of that fact. Self-produced, engineered and mixed (with help from Chris Colbert), this album has an energy and vibrancy that will keep you pressing repeat on your player. I picked up a copy of this album at a show the other night and had David and the band autographed my booklet. This is definitely an album I will treasure and appreciate for years to come. Despite what others might write about how different this album is from past releases it is the same ole', excellent Pedro the Lion friends! My favorite tracks at the moment include, "The Fleecing" and "A Simple Plan." So act now, buy the album, and catch Pedro the Lion live during their summer tour.

5.0 out of 5 stars David and Co. are back at it again, and better than ever., May 25, 2004
Richard Cottar (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Achilles Heel (Audio CD)
With Bands With Managers, Achilles Heel begins with a powerful confession of honesty, community and the failings of the our designs. The next 10 cuts of the album are no less vindictive on human nature, nor are they any less vulnerable with the subjects at hand.
A bit of a departure from David Bazan's concept album creations of the last two Pedro releases, Achilles Heel gets back to David's origins of good songs, great lyrics and powerful emotions. Each song carries a good deal of baggage with familiar subjects such as marriage (I Do), economics (A Simple Plan), the counsel of Job-like friends (Foregone Conclusions), our idiot nation (Arizona) and so many other Dave-esque topics. Musically, this is not nearly as aggressive as Control or Winners Never Quit. It is more like his earlier stuff, with much better production. Imagine it like The Only Reason I Feel Secure with more meat on its bones.
Beware, as Dave has been known to do, his lyrics go beyond the normal scope of "acceptible" in certain circles. For one, he's graduated from smaller tactical words to the F-bomb. However, his words are powerful and the emotions he elicits from the listener are deeply moving and inspiring. A must have for any Pedro fan...and I am sure this will win them a new audience as well.
A good solid album all around...something too tough to find these days.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Achilles Heel
Achilles Heel by Pedro The Lion (Audio CD - 2004)
Rate and Discover Movies