Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Customer Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars3
5 star
67%
4 star
0%
3 star
0%
2 star
33%
1 star
0%

Your rating(Clear)Rate this item
Share your thoughts with other customers

There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

on March 8, 2013
This is a great book filled with lots of obscure bands. This makes record collecting more of a treasure hunt as many do not know these bands. There is a lot of great history as well. A must for all collectors of psych.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2011
I was expecting a mind melting book of obscure psychedelic private pressing records from around the world, however as the author states in the preface of the book only 10% of the records are psychedelic. So what about the other 90%? Well a lot of stuff that you probably don't care about, such as lounge acts, Christian folk and rock, teenbeat/garage bands, regional bar bands, rural rock and some oddball stuff. The book is useful if you are buying rare records and you want to check if a record being hyped as "killer psych" or "loner acid folk" actually is what the dealer is stating. The reason that I was under the impression that this book was focused on international psych is because the editor has a website that has reviews and lists for the UK and Europe, as well as the US and Canada. The real test of a record guide is how much music you will be turned on to and the answer from this book a few things, but like a thrift store I'll be going through lots of crap to get a few good records. Another warning is that on Amazon the price of this book is through the roof from various sellers, because the book is out of print. I recently bought it for $45 from Dusty Grooves. If I paid $120 after seeing the actual content I would have been really choked.
22 comments1 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2007
If you are a fan of 60s and 70s music and bands like Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Big Brother, the 13th Floor Elevators you might be surprised to find that tens of thousands of vinyl LPs were released around the world between 1965 and 1975 that show the heavy influences of that musical scene. This book offers well-written reviews of thousands of those records from the US And Canada, and also grades the LPs for their rarty and value among collectors. If you are not familiar with the term "private-pressing" this book might put the same look on your face the scientist has on seeing the very first dinosaur in Jurassic Park; a look of wonder and amazement.
0Comment15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Customers also viewed these items


Send us feedback

How can we make Amazon Customer Reviews better for you?
Let us know here.