5.0 out of 5 stars Great sub - period!!!
Published on January 27, 2009 by C. Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars Long term owner
I owned the Acoustech H-100 for three years. Then suddenly, there was tremendous distortion in the subwoofer. Then there was nothing but an infrequent drum like sound. Suspecting it was my receiver, I replaced my Onkyo 608 with a Yamaha 671. Same problem. I never suspected that the subwoofer were bad since I had it in the bedroom and rarely played it and when I did play...
Published on May 26, 2012 by warbler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sub - period!!!, January 27, 2009
C. Cox (Detroit, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustech H-100 Cinema Series 500-Watt Front-Firing Subwoofer, High-Gloss Black (Electronics)
When I was researching subs I always read comments that said that the sub "blends in." I wondered how a sub that blended in could be looked at as a good thing - imagining it to be weak. Definitely not the case. Upon purchasing this sub (based on the multiplicity of good feedback I saw at the price range) I now understand. It is a powerful sub that has high quality sound. By blending in, it means that it won't stick out like a sore thumb, which poor subs do. Bass is largely omnidirectional; therefore, a quality sub will simply envelop the listener with good-sounding bass - rather than rattle/rumble and nag you. It adds another dimension to your listening experience and sounds like it's coming from your speakers. That's how it "blends in." The bass that you hear in the car sitting next to you at a stop light is not a good sound. That sticks out like a sore thumb. You won't get that with this product. You'll get something that sounds great with movies as well as music of all genres - from jazz and classical to rap (which has a tendency to be bass-heavy). Truth be told, I am very proud of this sub and it takes my movies to a whole 'nother level and also impresses the chicks (for real). I have no complaints with this sub. It sounds better than most commercial brands that I demo'd - including infinity and many velodyne models. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly regarded sub, July 31, 2009
Due to living in an apartment, I have not really been able to crank this sub up much. From what I can tell it is a very good sub. I like the look of the huge baffles on the cone. It is pretty big but does blend in with the grill on.

pros:
Very highly regarded as one of the best subs in it's price range by avs forum members.
Designed in part by the HSU team, a well-respected name in subwoofers
gloss black finish on top, (cat foot-prints galore)
all the switches you need on the back

cons:
most people probably have never heard about this sub and its name might suggest like it came out of wal-mart
the power cord does not fit snug in the back, however mine has never fallen out on its own.

It has a rare switch on the back for 5.1 option or pro-logic. If you use an rca cable from your receiver for the .1 lfe channel use the 5.1 setting (the crossover knob will be inactive-use the x-over adjustment in your receiver), otherwise if you wire your front speakers through the sub-use the pro-logic setting and adjust x-over knob.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend a little, get alot., February 28, 2005
mightymike (Grand Forks, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
I was very hesitant to buy this speaker but I had just lost my old one and money was very tight, so I did'nt have much of a choice. I researched it at Bic's web page and every audio page that I could come up with. I did'nt read one negitive thing about it. The only thing I could say that may turn someone away, would be that this is a sub for a normal,(small to medium) size room.

The encloser, grill and speaker all look very high quality, very nice fit and finish.

The sound that comes out is quite good, of course your placment will change the sound to your own tastes.

I have it set up to about one half volume and to the parameters of my receiver, it fills my room with full rich bass and responds beautifully to movies, I turn it down for music because I don't really like my music with bass as the focus.

Mike from Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Depth and breadth of sound at an astounding value!, April 25, 2011
Like many families I have one room for watching movies, enjoying daily TV shows and listening to music when I relax. I needed a high performance subwoofer to anchor the bottom octaves for all those needs. I didn't want something that "stood out" for the wrong reasons. Enter the H-100.

The Acoustech H-100 is astounding in almost all aspects. I'm impressed with both sound and power from this unit. The depth and breadth of lows from this subwoofer is why they call them subwoofers, not just woofers. Truly deep and rich tonality, impact and timbre.

I appreciate the subtle, distinct bottom ends during sweet rifts on the double bass in a jazz ensemble as much as I relish the chest compacting explosive impact during action movie sequences. The H-100 clarifies the sounds of a calloused finger plucking strings as easily and readily as it pinpoints the concussion of a road-side explosive in a war movie.

The setup is easy and fully configurable for any environment and room. There are enough options to blend the H-100 seamlessly into any system. The fit and finish are top notch. You can hide the H-100 away in a corner, but given it's beautiful piano lacquer finished surfaces you may want to rethink where you display it.

I originally set out to find a high quality, affordable, sealed enclosure subwoofer as a first choice. I favor the range and accuracy over of sealed over the limited but punchy band-pass tuned enclosures. I chose the H-100 because I originally thought it was a sealed enclosure unit. I couldn't find any product pictures that showed a port. To my surprise the H-100 is a tuned port enclosure. It is not sealed as originally thought.

Upon first opening the box and seeing the tuned port in back I was a little disappointed...until I plugged it in and turned it on. The venturi port design and tuning are excellent. There is absolutely NO port chuffing and very little if any band-pass audio artifacts, even when corner loaded. The sound is superb, clear, tight and has a wide operable range. I realize now my opinions of tuned port vs sealed enclosures was based on poor, weaker designs that lacked attention to acoustic detail. The H-100 proves how the delicate balance of power efficiency and audio precision can and do walk in lockstep together.

I highly recommend this home subwoofer for any system in any size room. There is plenty of power to spare for any size room. It's beautiful. It sounds magnificent. It's incredibly flexible. It's offered a great price. You can't go wrong with the H-100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sub, September 12, 2008
G. Muth (Wichita, Ks. USA) - See all my reviews
I had purchased a Klipsch sub10 and returned it for the Acoustech H-100 and am I glad I did. Visually the H-100 is much more stylish with the high gloss finish and gold front firing sub. Sound is incredible, very robust bass without being boomy, and try as I might, I can't seem to bottom this thing out. I much prefer the front firing speaker over the bottom firing Klipsch, which seemed to absorb much of the bass into my carpet. And oh yeah, did I mention I saved $220. I could buy two of the H-100 for about the same price as the Klipsch, but I don't think the foundation of my house could withstand that kind of shock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound-Great Looking, October 26, 2010
I can't go into a long detailed review (sorry) but I'm pleasantly surprised by this sub. I've had a Bose sub, 2 Polks, and a couple others over the years and this is the best by far that I've had. I can't afford to spend a LOT on a sub, but was frustrated with the lack of quality "low end" on my others. This sub not only gives me that, it's also a nice looking sub...pics don't do it justice. (The top is even a "glass like" surface..very nice looking)I know that looks aren't the important thing, we want good sound, but this is a nice looking sub. Also well made and solid. There's always gonna be better subs, but for the price I have zero regrets. I'd love to be able to afford a "high dollar" sub, but I can't...in the meantime I'm really pleased with this...it's giving me sound I didn't have before. I'm loving it! Edit: 12/10/2010 The longer I have this the more I love it. The overall qualiy, inside and out, of this sub for the price is great..a heck of a deal for this sub. NO regrets whatsoever. Edit: 2/10/2013 Well, nothing has changed. It's still going strong! I STILL have no regrets! Unlike the one persons bad experience, mine is used 24/7 and I've never had an issue with it. One of the best purchases I've made. Like anything else, if it gets "abused", (overpowered/CRANKED) the chances of a failure rise dramatically. In my personal opinion, you get a darn decent sub for a very reasonable price. Sure you can do better if you spend a small fortune, but this is a hell of a value. Surprisingly so. Edit: 5/8/14 STILL going strong!..this is a great sub, quality sound, great build, attractive, I wish I could buy another one! (and have two!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sub for the money!, June 19, 2008
In building my home theater recently I needed a sub that looked nice, wasn't too big but also sounded good and wasn't terribly expensive. Enter the H100, it fit all of those criteria to a "T".

The high gloss black finish and grill look great, the sub doesn't take up too much room (which is nice for us as we live in a condo) and was a good value.

The sound is wonderful for home theater and is respectable for music. If you primarily listen to music there are probably some other subs in this price range that may suit you better. For home theater though I think this is as good as it gets for the price. Now as you move up in budget there are a LOT of great subs out there starting in the $350+ range but not everyone has that kind of money. For those looking for a good "starter" sub, I'd highly recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sub!, December 20, 2008
Well. I don't have anything to add to the star reviews here. This sub delivers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sub for the price, period!, November 23, 2011
This sub woofer produces such a rich subtle and smooth bass. It doesnt overpower TV, movies or music. It hits hard when it needs too, and is smooth when it needs to be. My Father has a sub for his HT system, which is much smaller than this one and cost about $1800 bucks. This sounds just as good at a fraction of the price. I did a lot of research before buying this sub and I am very happy with my choice. My only complaint is that it is kinda big, but not so big as to be an eyesore. Great sub, Great price! (Disclaimer; I am not an audiophile)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice power Nice Design, October 15, 2008
It definitely took a bit to get used to this sub compared to my old crappy one. this is my first "decent" sub. I knew I was going to have to retrain my ears a bit.

Bass is much more clean with this sub and it has a lot of power.. my friends are impressed.. however i don't feel the base is very "tight" a quick punch to the bass feels like it trails off a bit.

overall i am glad i purchased this sub. it was worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›