5.0 out of 5 stars Brazilian Brilliance, September 7, 2006
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
Putumayo has never gone wrong with its Brazilian compilations.Like "Brasileiro",its first Brazilian compilation,this album is focused on the country's acoustic music.This album is reflective,relaxing,and at times bittersweet,like dark chocolate.

Highlights-

1)Aquele Frevo Axe-On this song,Gal Costa sounds like the more famous Bebel Gilberto.It's a delightful song,despite its theme of lost love.

2)Samba Triste-Ana de Hollanda sings a lilting,melancholy song.Her niece is Bebel Gilberto.It's unusually catchy for a "sad samba."

3)Ciranda-A bittersweet,powerful song about memory.It's also very hopeful.Marcio Faraco sings "If I want to run,time stops/If I stop to watch,the world goes on."

4)Meu Monde e Hoje eu sou assim-This is like a Cape Verdean morna.

5)Tem quem queira-This song sounds like a Brazilian version of a mariachi song.It's almost as if Rita Ribeiro was on Linda Ronstadt's "Canciones de mi padre." Very beautiful.Rita Ribeiro is a star in Brazil with her powerful voice.

Caetano Veloso,Chico Buarque and Monica Salmaso also contribute thoughtful,delicate songs.

This is a must for any Brazilian collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Most songs great, February 16, 2006
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
Bought this at Wholefoods Market, they were playing while I was shopping and it sounded good. Now I listen to it at work and it helps me relax. I do not speak Portuguese but you dont need to.
The music is a compilation of samba, bassa nova and Brazilian folk music...obviously all acoustic and very good.

Highlights singers include Gal Costa, a modern day Gilberto Astrid. Anna de Hollanda full of evocative emotion. Marcio
Faraco perfect combination of guitar melody and singing harmony.

Tracks 5,6,7,8 really pack musical punch as haunting tunes that you'll find your self humming in the shower. Tracks 2, 10,11 dont do much for me but the CD ends on an ubeat note with Lula Queiroga. If you like Latin music, you cannot go wrong with this buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to "kick" back , this CD is for you!, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
I'm Spanish (slightly different than Brazilians who speak Portugese) but was familiar with this kind of music ( Bossa Nova) when I told my Irish Air Force Captain husband about this music- how he would fall in love with this sultry, super relaxing, sexy music -he looked at me like I was speaking in Portugese to him! Well I waited until he came home from a particularly hard day at work,played this during dinner AND by the second song he asked "what is this wonderful music?" At the end of the CD I asked him "well, what do you think?' He said with a big smile on his face "I feel as if I just had a massage" ! My husband is 18 years younger than me so this music apeals to all ages, its hypnotic. We don't drink but I can picture it being played while enjoying a nice glass of wine.( check out "Brazilian Cafe" CD on the same label (Putamayo)- perfection !
If you love Girl From Ipanema, you'll love this CD !

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure, it's got sambas, though not the more upbeat ones....., February 18, 2006
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
.....but still very fun and relaxful to listen to and enjoy. This is a nice set of low-key sambas, bossa nova, and acoustic guitar melodies which makes you feel more at ease with yourself (and sung in Portuguese, one of the world's most musical languages, even if you don't understand a word of it).

My favorites are tracks 1,3,4,5,7, and 9. In fact, this comment from the liner notes on page 18 about "Tem Quem Queira" (Someone Else Will Want It, track 7) by Rita Ribeiro should be rather interesting: (It) reflects the blend of Portuguese and African influences that are the foundation of Brazilian music (not to mention, the majority of the songs from this compilation).

Even if this isn't like the more high-energy sambas with the dozen-plus backup singers, the rhythms and harmony here are just as great, if not better. :)

BRAVO AGAIN PUTUMAYO

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels like a warm breeze brushing your skin, November 23, 2007
Scubafiend "scubafiend" (St. Petersburg, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
As with all Putamayo compilations this CD contains a variety of music from a specific region - in this case, Brazilian artists. Sometimes compilation CDs are very uneven in feel because of the variety of artists represented but this CD combination is a cohesive group of beautiful Brazilian accoustic music that makes me close my eyes and sway to the music.

This is a terrific compilation. There is not one bad song on the list. The quiet, accoustic feel is consistent throughout.

If you enjoy Brazilian music and want something a little less mellow I suggest the Putamayo compilation "Brasiliero". Other good Putamayo Latin mixes include "Cuba", "Latino Latino", and "Music from the Coffee Lands".

4.0 out of 5 stars Talented musicians and unique beats, June 4, 2007
Emilie B (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this album for a number of reasons; first being it is unlike any other in my collection. In my corner of America, it's difficult to find this type of music out on the regular airwaves (I'm not blessed with satellite/HD radio). So this CD is a good contrast to the day-to-day garb broadcasted to me. Secondly, the CD has a good flow. No two songs sound the same, but the entire album was produced to radiate relaxing tunes that calm me down on the way home after a bad day at work. Lastly, this album is a compilation of many talented artists that typically don't get a chance to be heard outside of their country and/or genre. It's a great "cafe-time" album, but not anything that will excite the masses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, July 4, 2006
Ronny (No. California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
I got this CD to dance my 8 month old baby to sleep -- it worked great for that. I've heard it so many times, but I love it everytime, and it keeps getting better. Track 4 is my favorite at the moment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets Upbeat Mellow Cool Mood for Dinners at our House!, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
We often have casual dinners at our house, sometimes potlucks with a wide variety of personalities and age ranges (50+ people, teens to 70 yr olds). This CD makes a great background vibe, it's catchy, smooth, and offers a nice variety for ambience. I always get asked about it when we play it, and it can play a couple of times without anybody noticing that it's the same cd in the background, there is a good variety to compilations. We had a young hip couple from Europe come stay with us for a couple of weeks, and they loved it so much that they begged me to take my copy back to Europe with them. I had to order another copy for myself here on Amazon because I have given this cd away not once, but three times already. It has a universal quality and sets a certain mood that I can enjoy just sitting at home by myself being creative or just relaxing; or it can also work as a great crowd pleaser for a mixed group. I enjoy a wide range of music from classical to opera to acoustic to old school twangy country to hip hop, jazz, 90's alternative to even today's glitch-hop and dub-step. I consider myself pretty well rounded music wise, but I know not everybody is that diverse. This cd covers a lot of ground because I consider it my go to staple that always seems to work the mood just right for social events at my house, with all of those different personalities that I adore. I have other compilations, including Putumayo, but this by far stands out as the best crowd pleaser for background music. People love it, it sets a warm infectious upbeat mood. Great icebreaker music for bringing people together who don't know each other, relaxing but upbeat and neutral enough for most personalities without being generic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acoustic Brazil, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
Who doesn't like Music from Brazil I dont think that you can make a bad choice here. This music is Great try it

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite Cd's from Putumayo, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Acoustic Brazil (Audio CD)
Loved that this had a lot of the old favorites, but in the acoustic version. I could appreciate the songs more with the slower tempo. I listen to this in traffic and it does the trick: no more road rage :). Seriously, it is relaxing and upbeat at the same time. Happy with my purchase.

Acoustic Brazil
Acoustic Brazil by Putumayo Presents (Audio CD - 2005)