5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, yet easy to use
Published on July 19, 2012 by R. A. Craig

I bought Mixcraft after the trial period - and after having downloaded an installed demos of Cubase and Ableton, which left me confused and frustrated. I also checked out a few You Tube tutorial videos for other DAWs, trying to discover one with a good GUI and intuitive workflow.

Published 7 months ago by Nifi Seti

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, yet easy to use, July 19, 2012
R. A. Craig (Fort Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
Acoustica's website states that "software should be easy to use". It's obvious that the developers take this philosopohy very seriously. If you are used to working in Windows, you should find commands to be intuitive and user-friendly. For example, "home" will take you to the beginning of the selected track. "End" takes you to the end. The mouse wheel either scrolls or zooms, depending on where the cursor is positioned. After using Mixcraft for a short while, I found myself wondering why all recording software developers don't make their products as user-friendly. Rather than wasting energy reading through the manual, I have been able to spend time actually making music.

As much I enjoyed version 5, there were several significant shortcomings. The developers obviously listened to their customers' feedback and have addressed these issues through product upgrades, including the following (NOT a comprehensive list):

1. Mixcraft 6 now has punch-in/out capability.
2. Ability to assign separate outputs with VST programs such as Superior Drummer, so that each drum goes to a separate track.
3. Phase inversion/reversal capability.
4. The user can now adjust the velocity of midi notes for the entire track or selected region by a percentage, rather than having to edit each individual note.
5. Built-in guitar tuner on each audio track.

As a guitarist, there are times I need to learn a song in a different key that what was originally recorded. With Mixcraft 6, this is no problem. The user can transpose files up to a full octave (up or down) without changing the tempo. There are numerous additional features with Mixcraft 6 that I don't have time to list.

The bottom line is that Mixcraft 6 is a very powerful, yet easy to use program. I have been able achieve completely professional quality recordings and to collaborate with users of other programs (Pro Tools, Logic, Reason, etc.) with absolutely no compromise in quality.

There are other great programs out there with satisfied users. As for me, I am extremely satisfied with Mixcraft and have absolutely no plans to switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best..... just try it., September 29, 2012
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
Since they have a free download on their website Acoustica really doesn't need to do a lot of selling, since you will see for yourself. They really just need to inform the audio community that they exist. With so many DAW's out there, from Pro Tools to Logic, etc., Mixcraft holds it's own with a simplicity that is so needed in this category. I am a singer/songwriter who has been around a studio, but HATE having to learn some programmers silly logic on where or how to do things. Mixcraft is just so obvious the way it is designed, right click when you think you should and there it is, just what you thought should be there for the most part.

I bought the PRO version for the added plug-ins and I will tell you that the Reverb upgrade alone was worth it. It sounds better than the WAVE's bundle I bought for vocals.

I like to try out software and tried ALL the other major DAW's and within a few hours of testing each of them, I uninstalled them since they just didn't compare to the Mixcraft product. Truly you will be getting a very good product as far as features, but the ease of use is worth hundreds more IMHO.

Just download the demo, you will most likely buy it shortly after.... Just get the pro, it's not much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the ONLY daw that I like, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
I have been a pro musician for several years but I have always hated Cubase, Sonar and Logic. I have tried them all. I hated their nerdy conception, their lack of terms used by MUSICIANS. I would search in the manual for terms such as 'punch-in' or 'overdub', and, incredibly, I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER witnessed ONCE the goddamn manual returning such terms. Believe me, I tried. To read the goddamn manual. To watch the tutorial videos. Everytime I felt like a sense of dread. I was used to hardware multitracker and keyboard workstations, not nerdy computer software. Last time I tried Sonar, a few years ago, I remember I had to go trough about 12 goddamn different steps just to export the track as audio. Unbelievable!

With mixcraft you click once and you select 'mix to mp3'. Goddamn it, that's how it's done!

Mixcraft has EVERYTHING the other overrated, boring, nutty and nerdy programs programs don't have:

1. It's own quality MIDI soundset (to me it's VERY important. Although I have Eastwest libraries, when I write I want everything to be as simple as possible, without waiting to load huge sounds. The Mixcraft midi soundset is really good for that. I also work a lot with MIDI files, and no, these aren't just for karaoke people). Also, you don't even need to set midi inputs and all that crap. You just select your soundcard once(easy),and you choose a sound and start writing music!!
Plus, it has a VERY WELCOME, substantial set of sounds like synths, drums etc...and that make Mixcraft a REAL workstation. To me 'workstation' means something like the Yamaha Motif, not a frigging boring empty software program. With Cubase and the other DAWs, I remember that every time after first installing the program, I would be staring at a useless and boring blank canvas. How exciting. It was like someone handed you a pencil and a piece of paper and said 'here, write a song'.

Mixcraft takes me back to the days when I used synth workstations: you turned the INSTRUMENT on, you selected sounds, and you were ready to go and record.

2. the manual uses musician's terms like punch-in, overdub, etc. I type something I want to do, and it's there. Also, it's not like 1 chapter full of crap I don't care about, e.g. how to fine-tune the conception of a black hole in the universe. It's like, punch-in: here's how you do it, in a couple simple steps. There's 3 pictures and 3 sentences. (often the manuals in these horrible programs would return a wall of text and NO PICTURES. Sickening)

3. I really like the interface. It's kind of old school, which I like, and it's a clean interface. I don't care about the looks, it looks fine to me. To me the interface, the soundset and the speed is more important: and the interface in Mixcraft is really no-fuss. I don't want 3000 stupid things I will never use, i.e. how to play the file backward and upside down. I want sounds, stuff I use. I want to find things that musicians use: the metronome, the record controls, the punch-in controls, the mixer, etc. Also, it's not of the these stupid programs like Cubase etc that come with 4 dvds of installation! Mixcraft is a small program, so you don't need 8 goddamn hours just to install it. Mostly in these other programs all the bulk is in useless junk, like graphics etc. Stuff I don't care about. To me it's ALWAYS about MUSIC, that's the real substance, everything else I don't care about. It's always about what I HEAR, not what I SEE.

An example of how stupid are programs like Cubase: I remember wanting to add markers to my track with Cubase. With Mixcraft, you just add a marker it the most simple way possible. With Cubase, I had to:

create a whole TRACK called a 'marker track' (another WHOLE stupid track, just for markers)

go 7 levels deep by opening several menus, then several stupid little drawers or whatever the hell they were

then I would think 'ok looks the goddamn marker is there, how do I call it 'bridge' ?'. No goddamn idea, I could only see names like
000:137:89876 and the like. I have NEVER figured out how to call that monstrosity , 'bridge'. With Mixcraft, I just click in there and the program automatically opens a panel with a blinking field for me to enter with a name. Unless you are mentally challenged, you can't miss it. Bliss.

Seriously, after spending probably hundreds of hours in stupid ways like that, with pretty much ALL of the DAWs available, I can definitely say that Mixcraft is the ONLY one worth buying.

I am willing to put the work into my technique, but not willing to waste my time trying to understand how to basic stupid things like export the mix to mp3, without exploding into a violent fit and go 'RHHAAAAARRRRR, KILL!!!'.

4. it has a very nice selection of loops. I don't really use loops. But I do use drum loops to quickly build a drum track. But it's there, and it's great. Also there's other synths etc.

5. It's cost effective! 74 bucks for the pro version and it has all I'll ever need! (don't get the home version, too many essential features discarded)

6. It has a calming effect! I feel confident in using Mixcraft, I can tell it's not one of these crazyass, over-the-top, study-it-for-50-years-before-you-make-music, DAW. I am a musician, my time is very valuable, I need it to practice and improve my craft, not to study some nerdy crap.

7. it's easy to use, but don't be fooled. It will do everything the other overrated DAWs do, like video editing, notation etc.

My only complaint about it is that I use notation to navigate through a midi recording, (I don't use piano roll), and I don't do much midi editing at all. The notation in Mixcraft is a mess, but I can still follow it somewhat when the midi part plays. And it's DEFINITELY no worse than the notation I saw in Cubase, Logic and Sonar. But nothing is perfect, and Mixcraft, to me, still make all the other programs look like programs made by computer nerds who got carried away, not musicians and composers.

Another thing I'd like to see is a modern arpeggiator like in the Yamaha Motif XF. But no DAW has that yet, so I hope it will be Mixcraft.

Seriously, in 12 years of computer crap, this is the only DAW that impressed me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful interface, problematic at handling complex projects, June 6, 2014
Nifi Seti (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)

I chose Mixcraft! :) As a classically trained musician with more than two decades of music making, I wanted an easy way into (mostly) electronic music with strong vocals. I watched a couple of tutorial videos for Mixcraft - although 90% of my learning process was getting my hands dirty while making music with it.

This is how DAWs are supposed to work in an ideal world. Cubase, for instance, is a labyrinth for newbies. Mixcraft is an organic extension of your creativity.

Until it begins to crash.

All of my projects so far have been lightweight and easily manageable, but the moment I started adding up samples (from the Mixcraft library, nonetheless) and effects to the VSTs - mostly from Mixcraft - everything went downhill. Big files (not that big, actually) began to corrupt and failed to open up. Before I am accused of running this software on low quality hardware, my computer is an i7 Intel chip beast with a recent NVidia graphics card and a good soundcard. I bought it 5 months ago specifically for Adobe Premiere Pro and it can handle serious video editing pretty well. So there is no reason for a 4 minute music project to crash repeatedly. Mixcraft simply cannot deal with 26 tracks full of plugins and samples.

Samples, in fact, are the real problem here: some of my beats consist of good quality wav files from the Mixcraft library - cut, edited and tweaked extensively. Once I start to place them on the timeline and they start adding up, it all comes down to a grinding halt. The file gets too big for the DAW. My CPU reaches 45% according to Mixcraft, which proves my computer can deal with it - but Mixcraft simply shuts down/fails to save my project and I'm stuck. Fortunately, I press Ctrl+S almost every two minutes, otherwise I would lose all of my work without those precious back up files. :(

I'm giving it two stars because it has motivated me to make music and helped me understand how DAWs work easily and quickly. But if you're serious about production and putting your music out there, choose another DAW that can handle everything you throw at it while being user friendly. I am still looking for one and would love to hear suggestions.

I believe software that can only handle very lighweight projects should be either free/open source or explicitly state its limitations. Mixcraft does not - and leads users into a false sense of security.

For those who think I am overreacting or being unfair, I have been emailing Mixcraft's customer service - they have been very helpful and have always replied promptly - and tried a number of possible solutions. As I write this, Mixcraft has crashed three times during 15 minutes. It really cannot handle the workload. Period.

I will now have to find another DAW, delay all of my plans for live shows, rewrite/transfer all of my work into another DAW that can handle production heavy 4 minute tracks and move away from this bad experience.

Like I said, I really wanted to love Mixcraft. But it didn't love me back. Stay away from it, if you're serious about music making.

____________UPDATE______________

I have updated my review and gave Mixcraft 3 stars. First of all, customer service has been available 7 days a week and has replied promptly to all my requests, testing my project and giving me feedback. The suggestion that my computer's virtual memory was running out due to hundreds of small sample clips is probably correct. I intend to test this by testing another DAW with the same method I used on Mixcraft for this project once I master the new software. (It will take a while...)

I solved the impasse and rescued my project from oblivion by downloading a freeware sampler, loading it with the intended Mixcraft library samples (which I had extensively edited and tweaked) and looping the virtual track. I managed to reduce the project size from 4000 KB to 1500 KB.

My conclusion is: Mixcraft needs a sampler desperately! (Among other things.) I consider it a somewhat resource heavy software - and for that reason would expect a few more options to be available. If the developers are able to provide the user with such high quality samples, they should also be thoughtful enough to provide a strategy on how to minimize the impact they have on the computer's resources - by either automating the process or pointing out how to work with high quality samples for a low footprint outcome.

I still love the software - and definitely recommend it to newbies and beginners - but I am somewhat suspicious of its limitations. For the moment, I am giving it three stars. Let's see how it behaves when I start recording vocals.

(For the record, I've been using Mixcraft continuously since January 2014.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great program!, October 3, 2012
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
This program met all of my expectations, and more. It is easy to learn and use for novices, and a great program for musicians. Well worth the purchase price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like garage band! But better!, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
Love it! Talk about fun. I use garage band with my students at school and like the ease of use. Mixcraft takes a little more learning but wow, what a great, glitch free program. I can't believe the stuff I have put together with it so far. Loops, recording, keyboard, midi and all with little or no latency. For the money, a real buy! I play many instruments and put down track after track. I may never leave the studio!

5.0 out of 5 stars A DAW that doesn't need a rocket scientist, June 13, 2013
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
I was in the market for a DAW (digital audio workstation) for a music project, but I didn't realize what a journey I was in for when I started. I downloaded almost every demo that was available out there to evaluate which one was best, at least for me.

I tried one DAW where every little thing that I needed to do took at least a five minute search in the manual to figure out how to do something as simple as EQ-ing a track. Want to add an audio fx? Forgetaboutit. This got old very quickly and I tossed it. Another DAW looked more promising, and although the user interface was better, it was basically a Casio toy. One DAW company won't even let you try the demo without first paying up $25 for a reg key. Right.

Finally I tried Acoustica's Mixcraft 6. The interface was easy to understand, everything I wanted to do was clearly marked, and I had my first tracks laid down in no-time at all. As easy as this software is to use, it is filled with professional features, FX, midi tracks, and more. Some users have stated that there are serious latency issues with the software, but this is due to using the wrong audio driver rather than not having a powerful computer. Download the ASIO drivers and you should be fine.

I ran into a little bump in the road when trying to get my registration code from the Acoustica site so I could install the software. Evidently, some email services such as Yahoo or Hotmail drop or lose emails from Acoustica. Since the reg code is sent to you via email, you're in SNAFU-Land if the codes don't arrive. I looked up Acoustica's phone number on the Internet, gave them a call, and the rep took care of my problem in about 10 minutes. Customer service rocks!

Acoustica's motto is "Software should be easy to use..." and they have certainly delivered on this promise. You can spend a ton more money for other DAW's, but for ease of use, features, and value, Mixcraft 6 is really hard to beat.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for your recording buck, September 1, 2013
C. L. Messina (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
I've been a Mixcraft user since version 5. I still find it one of the most intuitive recording interfaces on the market. I've used it for just about everything with multiple instrument/voice set ups and the only limit is usually the power of your computer. Powerful, fast computers without a lot of other programs running simultaneously will get the most out of this, but that's not to say you won't get far with just a little, provided you take the time to learn how to set it up properly- this is usually accomplished by using ASIO to avoid recording latency and not running endless fx/plugins over a great period of time on a given project.

The only real downsides are support (I always get the feeling they're swamped or tired of answering the same questions on the forums) and the lack of a built in step sequencer and pitch envelope control that you find in Fruity Loops or Ableton. These aren't deal breakers, they just require good workarounds. For those who do just intstrumental/loop/techno, this might send them to Fruity Loops. I have both and still prefer Mixcraft. Fruity looks so 'I'm in a grey tank in the zombie apocalypse' to me, but some people like that. I work around the sequencer issue by using one in another program (DM-1 for iPad) and import the tempo/beat files. For the lack of support issue I recommend using the tutorials and tutorials on YouTube before you get started.

If you're wanting high end, do it all recording software I'd steer you to Ableton. They really are the best, but before you get there or if you're on a tight budget, it's hard to beat Mixcraft.

Songs I've made using Mixcraft (techno style):
[...]

Songs I've made using Mixcraft (classical style):
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Synth Noodlers, January 27, 2014
Steve Conslaw (INDIANAPOLIS, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
From about 2006 through 2010, I used Apple Logic as my primary DAW (digital audio workstation). Then I became interested in the world of windows-based freeware VST softsynths. There are hundreds of (mostly) homebrew software synthesizers out there that are free to download. So I bought a Windows computer and started looking at DAW software. I didn't want or need a top of the lien package. I tried Reaper. I tried Tracktion. Then I tried Mixcraft, and I fell in love.At its basic level, it was as easy as Garageband. It came with lots of plug-ins, and you can bring in your own VST instruments and effects. The feature I love most about Mixcraft is how easy it is to layer instruments and effects and then save presets. If you like playing around with software instruments, I suggest you try out Mixcraft first.

I want to add a short paragraph about the difference between Micraft 6 and Mixcraft Pro Sudio 6. The biggest difference is the included instruments and effects. Basic Mixcraft 6 is a good value at $75.00. The extra instruments and effects in Mixcraft 6 Pro studio are worth the extra $75.00, but if you don't have the money, go a head and get the basic version. There's still plenty of stuff to play around with. You'll likely have a reasonable upgrade path later if you want the extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool software and EZ to use, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Acoustica Mixcraft 6 (Electronics)
I bought this for my 13 yr son to create music and video with on his laptop. The price isn't bad for everything u get. It has hundreds of tracks to choose from and the audio files are easy to edit and mix together. He creates music and saves the file to MP3 so he can play it on his mp3 player. It even lets him input songs from his mp3 player or computer and remix the music. I was impressed how professional the final output is. I recommend this software for someone wanting a less complicated music mix program.

Acoustica Mixcraft 6