The Acrobat PDF Bible
preaches the gospel of the Portable Document Format (PDF) with religious thoroughness. Written by Ted Padova, a knowledgeable lecturer, businessman, and PDF zealot, it covers the fundamentals of Adobe Acrobat; the process of creating and enhancing documents with links, movies, and sounds; and the benefits of PDF on the Web, on CD-ROM, and in the world of digital prepress.
At over 700 pages, it's an impressive doorstop of a book. The writing style is clear if somewhat perfunctory. Screen shots are never merely decorative but rather are carefully chosen to enhance the reader's understanding, while the accompanying CD-ROM contains the stock selection of examples from the book, plus third-party shareware. The book particularly emphasizes third-party plug-ins--something you won't find in the "official" guide.
To be frank, this title probably contains more than most people want to know about a technology that has never become quite as widespread as many people believe it should be. The voluminous Acrobat PDF Bible is a book for those who really want an in-depth, cross-application, comprehensive treatment of PDF. --Josh Smith, amazon.co.uk
From the Back Cover
If Acrobat can do it, you can do it, too
If you're a graphic artist or prepress specialist looking for the most efficient way to deliver files to clients and printers, or a Webmaster repurposing information for your Web site, or a manager aiming to cut software licensing costs and streamline information distribution, then you need this book! Packed with insider tips and innovative ideas, Acrobat®
PDF Bible delivers all the information you need to create files that anyone can view, annotate, edit, print, and publish regardless of platform, software, or media. Inside, you'll find complete coverage of Acrobat and PDF files
- View, route, and annotate PDF files even search them for information
- Use Adobe Acrobat to edit PDF documents and prepare them for the printer
- Convert Web pages into PDF files automatically using Web Capture
- Use PDF instead of HTML when viewing, downloading, or posting information on the Web
- Discover how to work with multimedia, thumbnails, and hyperlinks in PDF
- Develop PDF workflows on your office server
- Import PDF files from and export PDF files to other Adobe programs
- Rectify output to different imaging devices using Distiller's Job Options
- Extend Acrobat's functionality with third-party plug-ins
Plug-ins, demo software, and sample documents on CD-ROM, including:
- EZ-PDF from Acquired Knowledge (Mac)
- pdfToolbox and pdfBatchMeister from Callas Software (Mac)
- Ari's Toolbox from Dionis (Mac and Windows)
- Collect Pro, Preflight Pro, QX-Tools from Extensis Software (Mac)
- Gemini 1.2, Genus HTML, Genus Photo from Iceni Technology (Mac)
- Gemini Studio from Iceni Technology (Windows)
- PDF Embedder from Intense Software (Mac)
- Quite Imposing and Quite Imposing Plus from Quite Software (Mac)
- Crackerjack, Crackerjack Pilot, and OPI Doctor from Lantana Research (Mac and Windows)
- Freebird, Jade, and Magellan from BCL Computers (Windows)
- PDF Protector from ComputerStream (Windows)
- Merlin Open Systems (Windows)
- Interactive PDF version of this book!
Shareware programs are fully functional, free trial versions of copyrighted programs. If you like particular programs, register with their authors for a nominal fee and receive licenses, enhanced versions, and technical support. Freeware programs are free, copyrighted games, applications, and utilities. You can copy them to as many PCs as you likefreebut they have no technical support. www.hungryminds.com System Requirements: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT or Macintosh System 7.5 or above. CD-ROM drive.