Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now HTL

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on February 3, 2014
The majority of the US involvement in Southeast Asia was not a great experience and the teams that "crossed the fence" lived at the very edge of falling into the abyss.This book gives a very good description and many great stories of LRRP (long range recon patrol) teams that operated in the AO (area of operations) in Cambodia and Laos (and some in North Vietnam). It has been said (although not presented in this book) that some of the teams even worked across the border in China. Pretty spooky stuff is described by the author and the book is well written from the view of someone that was involved in the day to day and night to night Prarie Fire missions. He was lucky that he came back because there were many that did not and have still not been correctly accounted for. Perhaps after this book has come out, other old guys might begin to open up about the secret missions that were run on the Ho Chi Minh trail by the PAVN (people's army vietnam) in order to supply munitions and supplies to the Viet Cong in the south. Good read.
on June 18, 2014
I did a lot of flying for the Special Forces when I was in Vietnam but only once did we do anything like this. The subject of this book is the missions into Cambodia and Laos by a very special group of Green Berets that went on those missions knowing that if they were killed or captured our government would deny any knowledge of them. Their familes would never be told the truth.

Their job was to find the enemy and report back. Too often the enemy found them. A 6 man team made up of 2 or 3 Americans plus Vietnamese, often went up against hundreds or thousands of NVA. They depended on air support to hold the enemy back while helicopters picked them up. About a third of the way into the book ST (Strike Team) Alabama went up against overwhelming forces in as an intense running battle as you will ever read about. The History Channel did a program about that mission. The author headed up ST Idaho, replacing the previous ST Idaho which had just disappeared, obviously over run by the NVA.
on October 2, 2014
The book helps to understand the entrails of the secret Vietnan war and the feeling of the people that fought there.
I recommend it.
on June 27, 2014
Wow, a good one, hard to put down. Not the best writer but so what, you can;t have everything, and this guy has a story to tell, and once he gets started its a home run. Being nitpicky, we are discussing training, getting ready, etc - then WHAM we are right in the middle of the big stuff. But its worth the wait. Also ends rather abruptly - like why did he "quit-get out"? My admiration and thanks go out to these guys - and can somewhat relate because was in I Corps myself albeit as a REMF. Still have my Army map of the I Corps area which includes the Ashau, DMZ, some of southern NVN. The Vietnam vets are their own special group, due to being so tough a situation mismanaged by highers and the mistreatment by home front. I know is now forgiven but hard to forget.
on November 23, 2014
I have read many books about the Vietnam war, many written by LRRPS. This one beats them all at raising my blood to boiling. The utter disregard and waste of life over this whole politicians' wet dream is proven to be even more disgraceful and hubristic with this telling. The bravery, courage, tenacity and loyalty these young men possessed leaves you contemplating what sort of beings they are. This first hand account raises the hair on the back of your neck and your blood pressure on every page. It was truly only God's will that any of them survived. Far, far too many did not. Read it and try not to want vengeance on the fat boys with their polished fingernails sitting safely in their Rosewood offices in DC while they send other peoples' children to their pointless deaths.
on May 21, 2013
A very good book that gives you a glimpse into a part of the Vietnam War "that never happened". These are the stories that, when possible, need to be told. It lets the uninformed know that there is more to war than what we read or hear about while the conflict is happening. It reminds us that there are brave men conducting operations that are vital to the war we are allowed to see. And, as this book describes, these are operations that cannot be discussed for some period of time.And even though that time period has elapsed, it is still hard to divulge things that were top secret at one time. I know this from personal experience - and I have been out for over 30 years. This is a good read - with an abrupt ending. I guess I wanted to read more.
on September 13, 2014
Outstanding, real life stories by one of a group(FOB/SOG) heroes who, due to secrecy at that time, were not able to be given the awards
and kudos earned. I was a gunner in the 57th AHC in Kontum in 1968 and going over the fence was always a challenge. God Bless the Special Forces and their daring attitudes to be inserted into areas that, on very often, were out of the artillery fan and had to rely on asests such as my unit and the Air Force Green Hornets, not to meaning to omit the A1Es and other USAF planes who provided air cover. The USAF
Jolly Greens were occasionally employed and many thanks to the SVNAF King Bees, who we used to refer to as Kamikazes since they would pop up from an LZ with little notification.
on September 9, 2012
Very well written..a war a long time ago written in 2011 with perspectives generated over years of remembrance. MACV-SOG missions into Laos were for the very courageous..brave men do.

Few would compare the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq to the daily death "very possible" missions done as written in this book.
Those that made and those who did not..we shall not forget the bravery and the courage which was an everyday in and day out. It is a wonder how many did in fact complete their in-country tours.

Thanks to all who contributed to the book..and thanks to the author who continuous to lead with assisting veterans of today's war heal and "go home".

Thanks again/RH
on August 23, 2015
MACVSOG was the Tier 1 special operations force of the Vietnam War. The author takes you across the fence into Laos and Cambodia with two American Special Forces and three indigenous personnel. There they observe and report, install wiretaps, lay mines, capture prisoners, and usually are extracted under fire by South Vietnamese pilots in antiquated helicopters. I read Bright Light by Stephen Perry and his book ended at the time that Stryker arrived at CCN. This helps the historians who are trying to piece together an account of one of most classified operations of the war. I highly recommend both books. Gregory H. Murry MSG, USA (Ret) author of Content With My Wages A Sergeant's Story: Book I-Vietnam
on February 28, 2015
Having previously read two other SOG books, I was disappointed with this one .... it was written well but the disappointment was in the content. I feel like the author (John 'Tilt' Meyer) was not at the level of bravery and dedication to the military that most of the other SOG members demonstrated. Seems like he found a reason to abort most of his attempted missions and made stupid errors himself that put many of his team mates' lives in jeopardy. If this had been the only book I read on SOG, and without my own real knowledge from three tours in Vietnam of how brave the SOG guys were, I would not have much respect for SOG members or their dangerous missions.