5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!
I know some people will think this movie shouldn't have gotten 5 stars because of the acting. I did not go to this movie for the acting, I went to see our real life Navy Seals pay tribute to those who sacrificed everything for our country, and I was not disappointed.

I have read several books by Seals and about Seals over the years, starting way back when Dick...
Published on February 24, 2012 by DinaC

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
In this movie, the acting is not that great. However, there's not much of it as there's a TON of action. The action sequences completely make up for the bad acting, and they're made all the better when you realize, these guys did/do this in real life.
Published 23 months ago by Elizabeth Hunt

‹ Previous | 1 2 391 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like other movies, and that's a good thing., May 27, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
I read a couple reviews complaining about the plot and some other things. I'd have to disagree on all of them. One guy said he fell asleep, which I can't fathom because the explosions and gunfire ought to keep just about anybody awake even if they're not happy with the movie itself. It's not really a slow-developing plot the way some people have said. I just think those people were expecting explosions everywhere and tons of gunfights when the point of the movie isn't really the fighting but the life of Navy SEALs.

As for the Chechen angle, I'm not sure why that part was chosen but I can say with confidence that the movie isn't promoting Russian propaganda. More likely, it was one of those relatively safe things they could do. Al-Qaeda or North Koreans would probably be more realistic (although I can't really say nobody in Chechnya would ever try to attack us, terrorism is relatively cheap and we haven't exactly helped them much), but do we really need to piss the Middle East and North Korea off more? Muslim terrorists are already gunning for us and we can't really dismiss the possibility of having to fight North Korea. Putting out a movie where we clean their clocks would seem kind of obnoxious regardless of how realistic it would be. For those of you who said the Chechen angle isn't realistic, do you consider the Aliens movies, Star Wars, and all the Predator movies to be realistic? Presumably not, but that doesn't mean they're not good (well, some of them weren't good but several of them were excellent). Even with real SEALs, it's still a movie so not everything has to be plausible. The main elements that were supposed to be real, the people, the mechanics, the weapons, etc. were all as real as I've ever seen in a movie.

I saw one review that said This Means War is more worthwhile and is a better movie, which is total crap. They're both very different movies so I can't really say that This Means War is worthless. It is, however, the same kind of Hollywood production that's been around for years. The plot is a little different but all the core elements have been done over and over. Act of Valor is far more appealing to me specifically because it's not the type of thing that Hollywood does.

I don't know how successful I've been at convincing anybody that Act of Valor is a good movie with the bad reviews out there. It's important to know what you're getting though. The description says what it's about and the intent of everybody involved going in has been discussed in public a lot. It's the kind of movie that's meant to have realistic operations and depict what a Navy SEAL's life is like abroad and at home with their families. If you're simply looking for action, this might not be a good choice for you. There are several reasons that you may not like this movie, but if you're interested in the military I think you should buy Act of Valor.

4.0 out of 5 stars SEAL realism ACTING stiffness, March 12, 2012
Chris Kennison (Jefferson City, Mo United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Act of Valor [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
One thing is for sure if you venture to see "Act of Valor"; you will be seeing something you've never seen before. It is almost like a documentary, but it isn't, but it's entirely realistic. The actors in the fictional movie, based on actual Navy Seals operations, are real life seals and because of that, some of the acting is a little stiff, but on the other hand, because of that, the Seals operations depicted are jaw-dropping realistic.

On February 7th, retired Lt. Gen James Vaught confronted Special Ops Commander Adm. Bill McRaven about the recent openness of the Seals tactics following the killing of Bin Laden and in the forefront of the release of this movie. The seals rely on secrecy to prevail. They require anonymity to be who they are. So, does "Act of Valor" reveal too much about the tactics of Navy Seals? I would be naïve to have an opinion either way, but I do anyway. Navy Seals require all elements of a team working together. One comment in the movie was this, "One stick can easily be broken, but in a bundle, that stick is strong." Seals are the best of the best. If our enemies learn anything from this film, it is that if the Seals are onto you, you better have been trained well.

"Act of Valor" as said to me by a veteran of Vietnam who was sitting nearby in the movie theatre, "should be required viewing in high schools and college." It is plain and simple an inside look of the sacrifice that these elite men do to keep the world safe. There is evil in the world and as much as many try to deny it, it is true and these Navy Seals silently, secretly and without praise, defend us on a regular basis so that we can sleep at night and get up and watch the news and have opinions about what is going on in the world.

The bird's eye view inside the Navy Seals is one of a kind and not to be missed. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the film. I felt the intensity of the operations first hand, understanding what was at stake and knowing that these men, although it was just a movie, are patriots and comrades to the 9th degree. "Act of Valor" is not only a good movie but an important movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Act Of Valor is REAL folks, November 17, 2012
Folks,
The two main characters are actual NAVY SEAL OPERATORS. The missions are very similar to real world missions that have gone on since GWOT started (Global War on Terror). Make no mistake that Radical Jihadist are trying to enter this country to do harm to you, me and your sons and daughters.

There is no line in the sand, there are no innocent folks, everyone is an infidel to them and they will do EVERYTHING they can to destroy the western world.

This movie, shows what SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMANDO's are doing daily to protect the USA from these folks. As you can see, the problem is a global threat, not just one singular country.

I've been downrange and worked with these "SPECIAL FEW" who do this type of work. This movie, by far, is the best depiction of what it means to be a SPECIAL WARFARE FIGHTER in the US MILITARY. It is an HONOR to serve with these men and walk the same hallways with them.

I recommend this movie to EVERY AMERICAN so they can see where Orwell got his quote; "People sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell - Yes that is true, I am one of these men.

Please buy the movie, and tell your friends about it.

Thank you for reading.

SGT Gabriel "BEE" Boudreau
CAT-2B-"UNDERTAKERS" - San Diego, CA
US ARMY RESERVE/NATIONAL GUARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Amazing!, June 6, 2012
Slynker (Worthington, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
Act of Valor is an amazing movie! The training & teamwork needed to become a Navy Seal are unimaginable. You won't miss the famous "actors" at all. The dialogue is real just like you are having a conversation with your best friend or family. All Americans should rally around this movie & view it, as you won't be disappointed. It is action packed, tragic & will break your heart. It is also about extreme bravery, love of country, of their Seal brothers & of their families. It shows the tremendous sacrifice,strength and most of all, mental fortitude these men have. They are truly real super-heroes! This movie should receive the highest honor in the movie industry for "Best Picture". I am very thankful this movie was made as I am more appreciative than ever of these men & our entire Military. God Bless them for what they do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Patriots, April 10, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
One of the best patriotic movies today. Our Seals aren't actors but made all patriots proud -- back to the original brave men pre 1776. Protect America; our troops put it all on the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Hero, April 3, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
For those who really appreciate the movie "Act of Valor" for what it is, you should all read about Michael A. Monsoor, a Navy SEAL from SEAL Team 3 (Delta Platoon) who received the Medal of Honor for his Act of Valor. He sacrificed his life to save the lives of his teammates in the same way it was shown in the movie. Therefore, this movie represents reality. I honor you, Michael Monsoor, and all the men and women who defend this country.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great action film!, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor (DVD)
A group of Navy Seals are on a mission to stop an Islamic radical who is working with a drug smuggler to commit terrorist acts. What makes this movie unique is that the Navy Seals are the real deal, not stuntmen and professional actors. Their lack of training in regards to acting is apparent, but that does not detract from the excitement throughout as they engage in realistic combat missions against the bad guys. The film successfully combines the action of the Seals with actors portraying other characters to make a very exciting combat action movie that will stir your patriotic senses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, September 6, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding movie, August 8, 2012
I just watched this movie last night and I loved it. There's a lot of criticism of the acting and a lot of talk that the guys were emotionless, but I don't think people realize how realistic this was. I think the guys showed emotion the way they actually do, because it's them, being themselves. I realize people have become used to these amazing dramatic renderings of emotion as portrayed by professional actors, and yes, those portrayals are more polished and less awkward to watch.

However, having served many years myself and having worked, on occasion, with spec ops guys in both the Army and Navy, I can tell you that the way they are in real life is not perfect emotional rendering. They actually have to shut it down, and that is pretty much what it looks like from the outside. These guys are great at what they do, but what they do is not acting. I've been around some pretty intense operational moments, farewells before deployment, etc., and it doesn't look like what you would expect it to. There is a lot of awkwardness, a lot of stuffed emotions. And operators in the spec ops world ARE absolutely, ridiculously calm (some might say emotionless) in extremely intense situations. For real. It's NOT Hollywood. It's also not some fabulously beautiful man baring his soul and letting you see just how much he's going to miss you. It's things only his wife would know that show how he feels, but it doesn't look like what you'd expect necessarily.

The scenes when they are planning the ops seem a little stilted, but not as much as you would think. Dialogue in these meetings doesn't go down like something from one of the Bourne movies. People don't actually talk like that in real life. I think this was so authentic and honest, and people are so conditioned to seeing the cinematic version of events, they don't stop to think: have I ever had a conversation at work or with my significant other that sounded that perfectly timed, that cool, whatever? Nope. Not really. Not only that, the action is all real, and a lot of the bullets are real, and for people who don't get how intense and incredible that is, there's nothing anyone could possibly say to you to give you the proper perspective. You'd have to go to a live range and live it for yourself. It's a great movie, precisely because it's so real. I have no idea what all the negativity is about.

People need to get this: the reason we haven't had another 9/11 since 2001 ISN'T because there haven't been any more attempts. It's because our military has been on watch and prevented them. Doing just exactly the kinds of things you see in the movie. And how they come off as actors is irrelevant. I saw a review online that said the acting was so bad, the SEALs deserved better, to show them as they really are. I laughed. These guys ARE showing you how they really are, it's just not as set perfect as everyone wants to believe. They had daily input into the script, and wouldn't say a line if it wasn't something they'd actually say. The review also had issues with the interrogator, which I thought was also funny, because the interrogator is the real deal, and that is what he does, and how he does it, for a living, every day. How many people has the reviewer seen interrogated in real life, I wonder?

I imagine everyone whose real story has been brought to film has felt inside like they really looked good with that actress or actor portraying them, because they know it wasn't that polished in real life. This is the real deal. All those who are anti-military and who love to hate what the military does are going to find fault with this movie because it is completely unapologetic and it doesn't try to be Hollywood. It shows you just how much our guys have to do to neutralize threats. These are also the people who want to believe that threats only exist if we provoke them, and they would be terrified if they knew just how many bad guys are plotting against us every day, and would happily dispense with any of us in reaching their goals, in the most horrifying and gruesome ways possible. Anyone who is caught up in grading the quality of acting from an artistic and theatrical perspective will also be disappointed, but if you can let yourself in on the secret that this is very much how things go down in the real world, you might actually enjoy it. The filmmaking is outstanding and the story is a fictional portrayal of a real-world situation that absolutely COULD happen. This movie rocks, and I salute the film makers and especially men who made it, as well as all their brothers and sisters in arms. I am proud to have served with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humbling Movie, June 6, 2012
This review is from: Act of Valor [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Fantastic movie that makes one think about the sacrifices that are made by the military. Amazing realistic action and makes you proud to be an american.

‹ Previous | 1 2 391 | Next ›

Act of Valor [Blu-ray]
Act of Valor [Blu-ray] by Scott Waugh (Blu-ray - 2012)
$19.99 $12.49