Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 4, 2009
So ActionScript 3.0 has been out for a couple of years and FINALLY it dawns on Adobe to have a AS3.0 book that is for people that didn't get a masters' degree in computer science. And for all you folks that tried with all your might to concentrate hard and start learning 3.0 with a book and pure will, prepare to advance. The book is straight forward, written for designers instead of the other 64 AS3 books.

Now, you can get started. The book tells you helpful things on the way like "you need to get really good at using 'event listeners' because you are going to use them all the time in your basic projects".

You designers have finally found the book to actually get you started. Pretty soon, you'll be helping the Java and C# programmers with ActionScript instead of the other way around. And your stuff will actually still look nice.
on January 2, 2009
This book is simply the best book I have seen for designers to learn actionscript. I have gone through countless actionscript books, all of which seem like they are written by programmers who just assume you know basic programming. I'm a designer, not a coder! This book helped me bridge the divide and I gratefully spent the money on it. It was worth every penny.
on February 14, 2009
I purchased this book after I read "Adobe Flash CS4 Professional Classroom in a Book" in order to get more insight on some the features of ActionScript 3.0. I wasn't disappointed. I thought the chapters were well organized. And everything worked the way the book said it would. Just follow the directions and you should do well.

Of course, it's an introductory course. But once you finish, you should be able to work with the online materials to find what you need for more detailed information.
on August 10, 2009
ActionScript 3.0 for Adobe Flash CS4 Professional Classroom in a Book

I recently read all chapters and completed all exercises in this book and will give it overall a 4 star rating.

Let me preface by stating I am a Website Designer/Developer and have many years of software development programming experience.

I have little criticism for the book except for Adobes' Getting Started Prerequisites stating "This book assumes no programming experience". In the book they use an example such as:

function moveUp(e:Event):void {
if (jt0.position.y>165) {
var pt0:Point=new Point(jt.position.x-5,jt0.position.y-5);
move0.moveTo(pt0);
} else {
..............it goes on
}
}

If the above looks like language from another planet and you expect to learn the fundamentals, details, concepts and functionality, it's not going to happen in this book. Another review I read regarding this book was by a community college student who gave it a 2 star rating for that reason. The review stated "I have made little progress towards understanding the fundamentals of this programming language". Enough said. A suggestion would be to first learn Javascript. Actionscript 3.0 syntax is very similar.

Now for the good news. If you're someone who already has programming basics under your belt, this book is recommended. In my quest for comprehending Actionscript 3.0 (which has deprecated Actionscript 2.0), I have done sample downloads, reverse engineering analysis and classroom seminars. These unstructured methods did provide knowledge of specific code techniques but was not a great way to go as far as a total learning process. However, this book provided the missing link. The classroom teaching style of writing and related exercises pulled everything together.

The book did an excellent job of classroom style instruction. In this book expect spend an average of 35-40 hours to do all the exercises. The best part about this book is that it is written with true professional teaching methodology. (I have had experience in classroom program instruction and would endorse it in a classroom environment with proper prerequisites)

The Adobe Certified Teaching Team did a very good job. Lessons are build upon information from previous chapters and special sidebar notes are inserted that help pull the whole topic together. There are 14 lessons on a CD covering an array of applications, but don't expect them to cover everything Actionscript can do. One exercise covered working with a live webcam and was a fun project. Lessons don't include building the graphics used in the exercises, just the coding to make it perform the task.

You will need Flash CS4 to do all lessons, but you can use Flash CS3 in the beginning. In CS4, some classes and methods used in exercises apparently are not compatible with CS3. An error occurs when you try to load these files. By producing this book, Adobe seems to have found a clever way to further market the CS4 upgrade.

By doing some of the exercises with CS3, this can buy you some time if you don't want to jump into CS4. When you open an exercise, it will load or give you an error message. Those with an error message require CS4. You can then go to [...] and download a free Flash CS4 30 trial. Just be sure you allocate enough time to complete the remaining lessons in this 30 day period.

David R Beasley
on April 1, 2009
The ActionScript 3.0 class I took at a local community college used this book as the text book. I went through the book's chapters in sequential order as assigned by the professor. I personally invested a lot of time into learning ActionScript 3.0 through the book's exercises, but I have made little progress towards understanding the fundamentals of this programming language. The authors dumb down the programing language way too much, so that you end up not really learning enough to get by.

I own the o'reilly's essential ActionScript 3.0 by Colin Moock and it does a much more through job of teaching ActionScript 3.0, but it is designed for people that have some kind of programing background.

What I liked about the this book is how it took a pragmatic approach to teaching ActionScript 3.0. However, the book is littered with errors and does not always take the "best practice approach". Below is a list of some of the problems I encountered while going through the chapters.

1. code errors in almost every chapter
2. book was created for cs4, yet the author(s) created files in cs3 not cs4
3. extremely poor design...even though this is an ActionScript 3.0 book they could have at least spent some time working on design. Some of the exercises look terrible.

Consider this book as your second or third option.
on April 3, 2009
This book is great for beginners who want to learn the fundamentals concepts and features of Actionscript 3.0 , and who want to switch from actionscript 2.0 to 3.0 , it illustrates actionscript 3.0 by the means of practical projects, each chapter has a project with specific goals builds on its previous, and the explanation is clear and step by step instructions and it covers everything you need to know t begin code and animation, and covers the new features of as 3.0 such as pixel bender toolkit, inverse kinematics and developing desktop application with adobe integrated runtime (AIR).
on June 25, 2009
This book is just the right pace to learn actionscript 3.0.
It takes you through the code step by step with explanations all the way. Not like other books that tell you what to write down without telling you why.
There are a few mistakes in the book and the software examples but I found those errors actually helped me understand the code better. Had it not been for the author explaining all the way, I would not have been able to troubleshoot. It did not take me long to find the mistakes due to the explanations in the book and by the time I had found the mistakes, I knew the code thoroughly.
I also have tried reading a lot of other actionscript books and either it was too little information or too much. Both ways I was getting thoroughly confused. After this book, a much more advanced book "essential Actionscript 3.0" now seems very easy to grasp.
I highly recommend this book.
Marc Chelin
on January 23, 2010
Overall this book has disappointed me. There are 14 chapters, each covering a different application with the objective of laying out lessons so readers can progressively learn how to code. Where it fails, is in explanations. Often you see "Insert this code", but there is insufficient reason why it's being done. Also there are some problems with the CD, some examples are corrupt and do not properly function when opened.
on January 25, 2013
This book really helped me a lot in learning action script 3.0 showing me how to create great scripting for my web videos, this was a great purchase for me and I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to learn this application.
on January 1, 2011
I thought it would be helpful to warn other customers that if you buy the Kindle edition of an Adobe Classroom in a Book which deals with software versions older than CS5 (the current version at the time of this review), you may not be able to obtain the project files that are supposed to come with the book. I discovered this when I bought the CS4 Flash book and one of my co-workers told me he had the same problem with other CS4 Kindle editions (we still use CS4 versions of some Adobe products where we work). After some searching online, it appears there's no way to obtain the older project files without buying the paper edition (which comes with the files on a CD). CS5 Kindle editions do contain links to downloadable project files, but the older books appear to have their links stripped out, which probably means the project files for those versions have been removed from the publisher's server. It's likely that at least some of the CS5 project files are different enough that they won't be useful to users of the CS4 or CS3 books. I haven't checked all of the CS4 and CS3 books out personally, but I'm posting this warning so that other buyers will be aware of the risk.