Does the Actiontec GT784WN work with AT&T ADSL2+ U-verse? Can anyone confirm that the Actiontec GT784WN will work with AT&T's ADSL2+ IP DSLAM U-verse service? Modems that formerly worked with AT&T's ADSL2 PPPoE high-speed DSL service were rendered obsolete, (or at least in need of a firmware upgrade), with AT&T's U-verse service which utilizes Direct IP to setup an Internet connection. My own modem, a 2wire 1800HG, suffered this fate. It worked flawlessly for seven years with AT&T's high-speed DSL service which uses PPPoE. Now with U-verse and Direct IP/DHCP, it will establish DSL synch and setup an ATM circuit, but it fails to connect to AT&T's IP server even with the correct U-verse parameters, (0/35), and 2wire keycode for DHCP connections. It clearly needs a firmware upgrade even though ADSL2+ is backward compatible with ADSL. Obviously, the Actiontec GT784WN will not work where AT&T U-verse service demands VDSL2, but with the right firmware, it should support ADSL2+ U-verse. Does anyone know for sure that the unit's firmware works with Direct IP/DHCP U-verse? Simply saying that it works with AT&T's DSL service does not answer the question as AT&T still offers PPPoE-based DSL service.
[UPDATED] asked by Cordell on March 20, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 answers
A
votes
From ACTIONTEC Support
Product:
GT784WN - Wireless N DSL Modem Router

Incident Summary
=========================
Hello. I am looking to purchase this combo modem/wireless router. I have been reading reviews from the site I'm looking to purchase the product from. Some reviews, from people who work in IT, state that this model may only work in certain regions. I live in Florida, and will be connecting through AT&T. Will I have any problems getting this modem to work? Thank you.

Resolution:
It should work fine. As long as you do not have the UVERSE service. UVERSE is a specialized DSL service provided by AT&T and to my knowledge, only works with AT&T supplied modems, currently you cannot purchase a store bought modem for UVERSE services.
M. Scott answered on April 23, 2012

A
vote
My question was, does the ActionTec GT784Wn have problems working with the iPad2.
Answer is YES, at least with the one I have. My iPad2 downloads were running about 1/10th speed with used with my ActionTec GT784Wn. When used with a PC, the download was normal. I changed my ActionTec with another brand, Westell, and the iPad2 download speed increased 10 times to match that of the PC. Hope this helps someone.
N. Daley answered on April 10, 2012

A
votes
Did you find out if it works? Thanks
Amer answered on September 29, 2011

A
votes
I have Verizon DSL at home and at work.
At work the PC and Ipad speed tests are about the same. About 5-7 Mbps
At home it is the slower 1 Mbps
At home my PC's speed test show about .9 Mbps
But my Ipad speed test shows .1 - .2
This is of course running them one at a time.
Needless to say .1 is really slow.
I am using an ActionTec GT784WN-01 modem at home.
Anyone else seen this problem?
N. Daley answered on March 25, 2012

A
votes
does this modem/router work with cable services or just dsl? sorry for the ignorant question, but i find this confusing. if this is not compatible with cable services (i use charter) does anyone know of a combination modem/router that is compatible with my charter service that is made by actiontec (they seem to make a good product) or another company?
J. Racicot answered on April 8, 2012

A
votes
which router works with AT&T Uverse
F. Choudhery answered on August 18, 2013

A
votes
which router works with AT&T Uverse
F. Choudhery answered on August 18, 2013

A
votes
Iam having Same Issue with my Ipad 2, I have it set up in my livingroom and if i leave my livingroom it cannot pick up signal!
Rafael S. answered on November 9, 2013

A
votes
I have AT&T DSL, Dell i660 and Lexmark printer, all wireless capable. Will this router work for these componets?
Terry L. Pettett answered on December 2, 2013

A
votes
Is this product truly wireless? I've purchased others, returned, that had a orange Ethernet(?)cord that I was told had to be connected to modem and laptop which are in two different rooms. I was sent this one by mistake, the one I ordered had the "dreaded" ethernet cord, was told when I phoned Actiontec that is was not wireles tho it read so online. I would appreciate help before I order another one. What I have now is the ATT one, which is not good, as all who have one know. Would buying a better modem/router help w/HuluPlus, I've turned off Hulu+ because programs were pausing/freezing too much
Thank you
wonderwoman answered on May 3, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›