- Brand Name: Actiontec
- Model Number: USB00020C-01A
- Hardware Platform: PC
Actiontec VoSKY Internet Phone Wizard for Skype
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Product Type - Call Center
- Warranty - 1 year limited
- System Requirements
- One IBM PC-compatible computer with one available USB port, 400 MHz or faster processor
- 128 MB RAM, 15 MB available hard disk space, and a CD-ROM drive
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
I am user of skype, I have a computer that I leave on all the time, and I hate using headsets. So i was looking for something that I could use to hook into a expandable cordless phone system that I already have. I bought something cheap on ebay and that didn't work well at all. I got this thing and it works great on my cordless phone system. It works with the newest version of Skype (2.0) and the sound quality is excellent even when I am downloading something that is sucking down most of my bandwidth. It can also split duties with an existing phone line (I don't have a phone line so I dunno how well it works.) I am thinking about getting skypein to use with this device.
Only quirk that took me sometime to get used to when using skypeout with this device is that you have dial 00 + country code (US is 1) + area code and phone number. It is written in the instructions, but took me a while to notice it. I was used to just typing the '+' sign on the keyboard.
In summary, the device works well. If u already phones and a computer and a connection that is on all the time, and do not plan on playing USB musical chairs with the device, this solution will work well for u. I am not sure why Skype doesn't sell the device on its own website.
The pertinent specs on the computer I am using with the device is as follows: 1ghz AMD duron processor, 1GB SDRAM, USB 1.0 port, and cable modem service.
This product allows you to use free internet phone sites like [...] with your regular telephone. Normally you would have to use a microphone and speakers hooked up to your pc. This product allows you to connect ANY standard telephone to it and talk over the internet just like you would with any other phone call.
Here are some key features that I didn't know prior to buying:
- You can use a cordless telephone with it
- You can dial internet phone calls from the phone handset using skypes speed dial feature (you never have to touch your computer as long as it is turned on).
- You can have your regular phone line and the internet phone line connected at the same time. You switch between them by hitting the # key twice.
- It gives you call waiting. If you're on a skype call and your landline rings, you'll hear it and can switch between them by hitting ##.
- I have it setup so that every phone in my house can either make skype internet calls for free or use the landline.
I highly recommend this product. It will literally save me thousands of dollars in international phone bills and make it comfortable and normal.
My wife wouldn't normally want to be bothered with complicated computer devices. Now she just picks up the phone and hits the speed dial number for the person she wants to call and it goes through.
Keep in mind that in order for skype to be free, the person you are calling must also be using skype. If you want to call a landline you must pay. The rates are very cheap though, so it's not a bad solution. Check [...] for the rates.
1. it has some flawed USB interface such that the software you load onto the PC never finds the device on the first try. You have to manually unplug and replug the device into its USB port to get the software to 'see it.'
2. The interface with Skype is very klugy. It changes Skype's audio in and audio out settings to direct skype to use the actiontec drives instead of your PC's microphone and speakers. That's okay when you're using a phone connected to the device for skype calls, but when you want to use your PC again, you have to manually change back all the settings.
3. The sound quality is excellent, but the mic quality is atrocious. I tried everything option I could, but I was never able to get the other party on a skype call to hear me clearly. It's probably a very cheap processor in the box that doesn't properly encode my speech or something. In the end, it worked about 2% of the time, and the other 98% of the time the person on the other end of the call hung up on me because they couldn't hear or understand what I was saying.
Bummer, because I really wanted it to work. But it's just not ready for primetime. I'm waiting until a reputable CE brand like Linksys or Logitech comes out with the device.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This device worked great while I was using XP (no problems using using home cordless phone to place/receive skype calls) though it is a bit harder to setup than I think most people... Read morePublished on February 24, 2011 by Alain
Note: If the SkypeOut contact does not have a speed dial
number, dial the number using the following
format: 00+Country Code+Area Code+Local
Phone Number. Read more
The VoSKY Internet phone wizard for Skype works well. I did have problems with settings and sound that others have mentioned, but with much patience I eventually found that the... Read morePublished on July 9, 2008 by Amazon Customer
Despite several hours of trying, I could not get the driver software to work on the first PC that I tried to use the IPW on. I eventually gave up and tried on a second PC. Read morePublished on March 16, 2008 by T. Moore
This product doesn't work on Vista and after contacting Actiontec regarding this issue not only they ignored my messages, but when I browsed over the net for help, there was only a... Read morePublished on January 2, 2008 by Rodrigo C. Branco
Will recommend for anyone wanting to set up a Skype account. Item makes it so easy to use. The affordable of Skype to now add to your existing home network phone lines to simply... Read morePublished on November 27, 2007 by Huey K. Reynolds
This thing works great! The only issues is that occasionally the driver crashes and i have to disconnect and reconnect so that Win XP reloads the USB driver.Published on September 15, 2007 by jhildebrant
Awesome features of the IPW:
- allows you to make use of your old technology (POTS phone)
- cheap! Read more