Top critical review
19 people found this helpful
Great idea, weak execution
on April 30, 2006
I bought this on amazon, and it performed so poorly that I had to return it. In theory, the product is fantastic -- it lets you use your existing 'normal' telephone to dial and receive skype calls. In reality, however, it's a buggy product that simply does not pass any semblance of quality standards. The big problems:
1. it has some flawed USB interface such that the software you load onto the PC never finds the device on the first try. You have to manually unplug and replug the device into its USB port to get the software to 'see it.'
2. The interface with Skype is very klugy. It changes Skype's audio in and audio out settings to direct skype to use the actiontec drives instead of your PC's microphone and speakers. That's okay when you're using a phone connected to the device for skype calls, but when you want to use your PC again, you have to manually change back all the settings.
3. The sound quality is excellent, but the mic quality is atrocious. I tried everything option I could, but I was never able to get the other party on a skype call to hear me clearly. It's probably a very cheap processor in the box that doesn't properly encode my speech or something. In the end, it worked about 2% of the time, and the other 98% of the time the person on the other end of the call hung up on me because they couldn't hear or understand what I was saying.
Bummer, because I really wanted it to work. But it's just not ready for primetime. I'm waiting until a reputable CE brand like Linksys or Logitech comes out with the device.