5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set-up, No Problems So Far
I had read the reviews for this product, and could not accept that set up would be as easy as described. I have set up a number of modems over the past 10, or so years, and there was always some degree of technical expertise required.

Published 19 months ago by Tech Nutz

Purchased this to replace a flaky old ActionTec M1000 DSL modem, and at the same time remove the need for a separate wireless router box. I was really disappointed in it.

Published 15 months ago by Ruth in NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Set-up, No Problems So Far, February 6, 2013
This review is from: Actiontec Wireless N DSL Modem Router GT784WN (Personal Computers)

Actiontec was unbelievably simple. All you need is the user name and password assigned by your internet service provider and Actiontec does the rest. You'll be on line in 10 minutes. As far as performance, I haven't seen any drop off of signal or other malfunctions over the past two weeks, and all of my wireless devices connected perfectly. Wireless set up takes a little more effort, but not beyond the means of most "non-techies". I've connected a laptop, a tablet and a smartphone. For your safety you need to create a password, and use it the first time you connect any of your wireless devices and then they connect automatically.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference this made in our signal strength!!!, May 18, 2013
Our DSL provider is Century Link, but we were still using an old Actiontec Router that we bought from Qwest back in 2005. That old router served us well for many years, but it just couldn't keep up with the demands of today's technology. So I began to research and see what routers would be compatible with Century Link. This Actiontec Wirelss N got good reviews from other Century Link customers here on Amazon, so I bought it.

I called Century Link and got my ID and password from them, then followed the simple setup directions that came with the modem. It took me only about ten minutes--it was so simple! It came with phone cords, instructions, everything I needed.

All I can say is WOW! Our signal strength is excellent and my Internet speed is faster. My Roku isn't freezing or losing the signal anymore, and my new Droid 4G phone is no longer having trouble connecting to my wireless network. I'm so glad I bought this modem! It's wonderful!

2.0 out of 5 stars buggy and missing some wireless administration features found on older devices, June 18, 2013

The device's setup wizard worked quite well on our CenturyLink DSL connection, and it had no trouble establishing the link, although not at the maximum possible speed (used 4MB instead of 5MB). Its WAN status page gives lots of good information on the quality and parameters of the connection.

Unfortunately, the built-in DHCP server is buggy: almost every time I reboot it and our wireless devices reconnect, this "new"** modem produces IP address conflicts by handing out the same address to two different devices on the wireless network. (Which two varies, and I have confirmed that they are all set up to use a DHCP server to get their IP addresses.) Its status page doesn't even correctly list all of the DHCP clients that are connected through it. This is unacceptable.

Feature limitations/omissions:

1. The DHCP server has no concept of IP address reservations for devices that need to be at predictable locations (e.g. wireless printers, devices that need ports forwarded, etc.). This has been an available feature since the early days of the DHCP protocol. The whole point of using DHCP is to *manage* one's IP addresses, not simply hand them out (which, as noted above, this box doesn't do correctly anyway).
2. MAC access control can only be set up by entering individual IP addresses manually. Most "modern" wireless routers allow either uploading a list from a computer file or building one from devices already connected to the network. This unit lets you choose hostnames that are connected, but doesn't fill in the MAC address field for them.
3. There is no facility to backup/restore customized settings.

In summary, if you want only very basic access for a small number of wireless devices that don't do anything special, it's probably fine, but it is not a good choice otherwise. (You may have more such devices than you think of immediately, e.g. smartphone, BluRay player, HDTV, video-game console, etc.)

** I put "new" in quotes because even though it was shown as new by the vendor I selected from the Amazon list of available sellers, it was not. The outer packaging was missing, the device was very slightly scuffed, and the plastic bags/wrapping for some components had clearly been opened before. However, that's a matter for the seller review, and is not factored into this product review (although the rating will be the same).

5.0 out of 5 stars Actiontec Gt784WN, October 27, 2012
So far a good wireless router. Downloads are fast on the DSL side and the wireless side. Works good with Skype. Does not seem to slow down when multiple users are on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, November 18, 2012
Does not kick me off line. Strong wireless signal. Setup was fairly easy. Like the upright stand. Keeps the unit cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless router - replacement for AT&T DSL, May 14, 2013
MG (Sun Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I needed to replace my 2Wire AT&T DSL wireless router when it refused to connect to the Internet. After reading the reviews I selected the Actiontec. Set up was a breeze and I was up and running in 5 minutes. The only negative was that my network name had to be all one word, but perhaps that was user error. No more failed connections or rebooting. It handles multiple laptops, smart phones, iPod touches and an iPad with no lag. Great product and well worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted just over two months, July 18, 2013
I bought this item because there were a lot of good reviews on it. It did work great while it worked. AT&T came out to check out our outside lines after we had been without DSL for 5 days and told me they were no problems with the line and they got no signal coming from the modem. I stopped at a big box store, bought a new modem from Netgear, hooked it up, and everything is running fine now with a new modem.

I bought the Actiontek on May 8 and it stopped working on July 13. Sorry, but I cannot recommend a product that lasts for 9-10 weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, May 22, 2013
Plugged it in and told it who my provider was and it was up and running. I use a Magicjack Plus which is connected directly to the modem and it works well with this modem. have had NO problems. (my provider is TDS DSL)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great replacement for my old Actiontec, August 22, 2013
Old modems and routers tend to get very unstable and crash often due to physical deterioration of the components. Mine was 10 years old and crashed 3 or 4 times a day. I began to suspect the modem more than my $^&^%#%$ provider. I copied all the settings from my old unit onto paper. Then I installed the new one. I was unable to use the automatic set up successfully and so I just plugged in my old settings where appropriate and with minimal fiddling it worked. My throughput increased around 15%, latency reduced a bit and no more crashes after two months. If your DSL/cable internet goes off line frequently and your modem/router is more than 3 years old it is most likely time to replace the unit. If it was supplied by your carrier they will probably give you one already configured for free. If you have a really bad provider or some other situation this unit will work beautifully. The WiFi signal is awesome and fast. Well Done Actiontec and Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good router but not right for fiber-optic VDSL connection, June 25, 2013
This modem arrived in perfect condition and turned on perfectly but unfortunately I hadn't realised when ordering it that I needed a VDSL capable modem, not ADSL+ so it would not function with my fibre-optic connection and I had to return it. Totally my fault though.

Actiontec Wireless N DSL Modem Router GT784WN