Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

4.3 out of 5 stars10,165
Style Name: Indoor Humidity Monitor|Change

on April 6, 2012
I purchased two of these as I wanted something digital and I liked that it recorded the highs and lows for each: humidity and temperature. Right out of the package they both read identical humidity and temperature which was great. I then brought them to my work and put them in a stabilty chamber to test against a calibrated expensive humidty guage at 63.3% RH and 25.x C. Both units measured within a single percent of RH and ready 25 C. I then calibrated the units in a nitrogen filled instrument with a calibrated unit. The calibrated unit read 0.0 % RH while both units read 16. I figured out that these units DO NOT work below 20 % RH and instead display 16 %. I then tested them in open rooms compared to a calibrated unit at 20-30% RH and these babies read within a single unit of % RH and about 0.5 degrees C. I have no way of calibrating them higher and not sure how high they will read accurately but I'm curious to see what they'll read outside in the rain. Otherwise they are great units for the price.
1111 comments|486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2012
A cap full of salt in a baggie with your hygrometer will give you the plus or minus that your hygrometer is off. That's all you need to know to be accurate with your readings. The salt is always 75%. If your hygrometer reads 82%, then its reading +7. Simply subtract 7 from your hygrometers reading to get the actual humidity. It's really that simple.

Cheers
1414 comments|662 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2012
Well like everyone else says, this product is ok for temperature but leaves a lot to be desired for reading humidity. This being said, with a few mods it works fine as a hygrometer. I added a few more holes with a drill approx 1/8" and now it actually reads humidity quite well. I added a total of 13 holes around the unit, 5 on each side and 3 on the bottom. Now it adjusts the humidity reading every 15-20 seconds and levels out in about 10 minutes and actually reads the right humidity when compared to my dial hygrometer. So this tells me that there is a design flaw with the amount of air flow allowed by the factory vents, thus not allowing the unit to process the volume of air needed to make accurate readings.

ok had it a week and like another reviewer stated the LCD readout has gone blank in a few spots. not dim just not there anymore. Its junk. Off to buy another Hygrometer from someone else.
5858 comments|1,100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2014
Just bought this and the AcuRite 00325. This 613A1 seems more accurate out of the box and responds to temp/humidty changes faster. It's also smaller and better looking in my opinion. It's numbers seem right on, both temp and humidity. It has a magnet and a clip which doubles as a kickstand on the back. The picture was taken after several hours. The differences in the numbers between the two units has been consistent, humidity about 3% different and temp 2 degrees different.
review image
0Comment|180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2013
I've now purchased two of these humidity monitors; so I can monitor humidity in the basement. Both monitors, if kept next to each other, they're within 1% of each other for the humidity measurement, and within 2 degrees Fahrenheit of each other for temperature measurement. Pretty close, and accurate to within a degree of my other thermometers.

It's important to keep an eye on humidity levels in both the summer and winter; in the summer, you should keep your humidity level below 60% to reduce mold buildup, and below 50% to reduce the chance of dust mites. During the winter, try to keep your humidity between 30-40% to reduce mold buildup, and to prevent dry air which can cause throat and nose irritation (it helps me avoid waking up with a bloody nose in the winter).

The fact that this little device is so compact and has both a stand and a magnet for placing it almost anywhere makes it an easy purchase over most other monitors. I also like how it shows the past day's highs and lows.

Excellent product--it's not industrial grade in any way, but it's not made for factories--it's made to stick on your fridge or on your desk.
on December 8, 2009
Bought 2 of these the other day. Opened them up, put in the battery, and they were ready to go. I bought two of them so I could install them in each of my childrens bedrooms so I could tell the range of the temp and humidity each of thier rooms. First I put these next to my house thermostat which has a current temp and humidity displayed. After 1 hour of being in the same room right next to the thermostat both of the Cheney units read exactly what the temp was, and the humidity on both units were the reading the exact same (7 units higher) then my house thermostat. I don't know if my house unit is accurate or not but at least the two Cheney units read the same for temp & humidity. If they read differently than each other than I would say they weren't accurate but since both read the exact same things I give them two thumbs up and agree this is a great buy, especially since it displays the current temp and humidity and displays the daily low/high for each. Great Product!!!! Small, lightweight, has magnet on back to stick to fridge or can use clip to attach it to belt, or anything it can clip to. It also can be placed on a desk, shelf, etc but standing it on end with the attached stilt.
1717 comments|462 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2009
We use a number of these in our cabinet shop and at job sites. Despite other's complaints about accuracy, we have found them to be quite reasonable, especially considering their low price. If you put ours side by side they will all stabilize to within a few percent of each other. They are small, yet the display is very easy to read. They use only a single AA battery. The only down side is that the 24 hour high and low display is not resettable without taking out the battery, but that's only a down side if you are looking for min/max in a time frame other than 24 hours.
33 comments|165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2013
Mine just broke down the screen isn't working properly and it misses a few numbers That makes it completely useless.
I would like to return it but unfortunately I live in Peru. Too much of a shipping cost for a US$10 dollars refund.

This is the picture of the unit today 18/10/13 bought a month ago.

[...]
review image
11 comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2009
I bought this same hygrometer packaged as Acu-Rite brand from a Mill's Fleet Farm for $9.99 more than a year ago. I've always had it turned on since then, and I've never had to change the batteries. I tested the unit not long after I bought it and again just yesterday (using the NaCl and distilled water test and the Boveda humidipak kit) and after 8 hours the display stabilized at 75% just as it should. I also made a Potassium Carbonate test and it was stable at 43% after ~18hrs. This is great to see from a $10 unit. I've traveled with this product and it has held up through that as well. I've never tested the accuracy of the thermometer, as I mainly bought this instrument to read RH in an instrument (guitar) room, and guitar cases. I've also owned "The Weather Channel" brand weather stations with built in hygrometers that were more than twice the cost of this product, and found them to read more than 10% off when testing.
Maybe I got lucky and happened to buy a accurate unit, but from my experience with this I highly recommend buying yourself one.

PS I have since had relatives buy these units and they were not as accurate as the one I bought, so I guess I really might have just been lucky. The other units seemed to report higher humidity then existed (when RH was 40%, they showed +3-5%, which is considerable). The plus side is that they don't seem to get worse over time, so if you know the unit to be off by a certain amount, you should be able to predict the actual RH.
44 comments|271 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I have given these away to clients when I do an energy audit on their home. Before I give them out, I usually set several up at a time and let them stabilize on a table in my home. I have found that most of them read the same, so they are usually accurate, in spite of the fact that the accuracy for RH is listed as +/-5%. Then I discovered that they do not read RH below 20%. I also have discovered that none of the RH meters on the market, costing less than about $80, will read RH below 20%, which is not good if you have a drafty house that has very low RH in winter.
44 comments|142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse