Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AcuRite 50308 18-Inch Aged Metal Indoor/Outdoor Atomic Clock and Thermometer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Periphery Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 23, 2007
I have owned this clock for 1 1/2 years. We mounted it outside in our pool area mostly shaded from the sun, but still exposed part of the day. We take it inside during the winter months. This is the second summer season we were to use it. I installed new batteries and monitored its timekeeping accuracy indoors for a few days before mounting it outside. It worked for about a week once mounted outside and then began losing time dramatically. Back up on the ladder, I pulled it down and again took it inside. I readjusted the time and I've been monitoring it now for a few days. It seems to keep perfect time indoors. So, I would recommend this clock only as an indoor clock. Even without constant direct sunlight, it does not keep time accurately outdoors.
on August 12, 2009
This clock is a great addition to my patio but I found it much to complicated to set. It takes a very particular AA battery; I had to go to 3 different stores to find the right one. The battery has to be a REGULAR alkaline battery (not super or long lasting or any other extra durable type). I started with a Kirkland battery and when the clock did not keep the correct time (like by hours not minutes) I called the customer service and was told that the battery was not right for this clock (this should have been specified in the instructions provided with the clock) and that's when my search for batteries began. Each time you put in the battery you have to press the reset button a certain number of times, then go past a certain hour and start at 12. It's a long and complicated process but once I found the correct batteries (which I suggested to customer service should be provided with the clock!) and went through the set up process for about the 6th time, the clock works great. Is it worth the trouble?? Not sure.
on October 27, 2012
Bought this clock and installed it outdoors less than 18 month ago. It has now completely stopped working. It appears to be a good quality clock but has proven to have a very short life. The clock was exposed to southern California weather. I would imagine the life would be even shorter in harsher weather. As I am preparing to replace it, I think I would plan to spend a little more to buy a better quality clock(hopefully).

OK, now its one day later and I got the clock working again.
After I submitted my original review, I read Mr. West's 2 star review. I dug through my files and found the Instruction Manual. It said I should go into a good reception area and point the back of the clock towards Fort Collins, CO. Make sure you have no metal objects between your clock and Fort Collins, CO , set the clock to nearest hour, insert a Alkaline battery, wait 3-5 seconds, press the red button 4-5 times quickly, if done correctly the beeper will beep for 20-30 min's. The manual says "A good signal has one beep precisely every second and sounds similar to a heart monitor with a slightly irregular heartbeat".
I'm not making any of this up!
Long story short, I tried all of that several times. I got no irregular heartbeat. I was flat-lined!
Went back to the manual. The alternative was "manual clock setup".
The instructions were: (1)Set the time, (2)Insert Alkaline battery and (3)don't press the red button for the next 15 minutes.
It works!
I'm not atomically connected to Fort Collins, CO. but all I ever wanted was a good quality outdoor clock.
on June 8, 2008
Great clock for the outside patio/pool area. This is my second one as we had purchased one years ago for another home and it is still working today after many years of oceanside weather beating down on it. Great value when purchased through Amazon. You'll pay much higher prices elsewhere.
on July 20, 2008
I carefully read the other reviews for this clock prior to purchasing it. As a result, I was wary of the atomic controlled time feature. Yep, it was a little tough to get the clock set. It took a couple of days before it was on "real" time. Since then, it has been great. The size is perfect for use in the yard. It is easy to read, attractive, but not visually overpowering. While it is likeweight, it is not flimsy. We appreciate using it everyday.
VINE VOICEon November 13, 2012
I ended up getting this clock on a Warehouse Deals deal,and I could not be happier with the purchase. When I took it out of the shipping box, it looked like new. However, my five-star rating is not on the fact that I got a "deal," but because it works perfectly, just as advertised. I have had it running for about three weeks now.

This clock replaced another atomic clock I also bought here on Amazon....this one: La Crosse Technology WT-3181PL 18 inch Atomic Outdoor Clock with Temperature & Humidity. When a storm brushed by Florida and caused strong winds in our area, the La Crosse clock unfortunately blew off of our outside wall, and crashed to the ground. BTW, I also recommend the La Crosse clock in the link....it worked perfectly, for about 18 months, before it crashed and burned. I would have replaced it with the same model, but this AcuRite clock was selling for a better price with the Warehouse Deals deal, and was also an 18-inch size, which I needed since we put it up high, on an outside wall of our house, in our backyard patio area.

As with all atomic clocks, read the instructions carefully and do what they say step-by-step, and then be patient and just leave it alone. A good idea is to follow the instructions in the evening, then prop the clock up near a window, and leave it overnight. This is what I did, and the next morning, voila, the time (Easter Time Zone) was perfect. A week later we moved to daylight savings time, and poof, the clock adjusted itself without any problem.

The only negative that I will mention is that the temperature gauge does not seem to be working right now. I didn't dock it a star for that, though, because that's not important to me. We have it up so high, it's not that easy to read it anyway, and I really only bought it for the atomic time feature.

Right now it is still indoors...I wanted to wait a while to make 100% certain that it works before I get the ladder out to hang it where the old one was. This time, I plan to take some metal picture frame wire, attach one end to the clock, and the other end to the screw I will hang it on. That way, should the wind catch it again, hopefully the wire will hold and it will only dangle a couple of feet and not crash to the ground, avoiding another crash-and-burn scenario. I also plan to spray paint the outer metal rim with weather sealant before I hang it to avoid any rust or discoloration.

I hope this review was helpful....I do recommend this clock, if the accuracy of the temperature gauge is not important to you. If things change, including if the temperature gauge begins to work properly once it's outside, I will update the review.
on October 24, 2010
The clock was easy to set and keeps perfect time. I would have given it 5 stars if not for the following. First, the frame was advertised to look like aged metal. It looks more like plastic. Secondly, chages in terperature are slow to indicate on the thermometer. This is probably due to temperature changes being somewhat muted by the building wall where I have it hanging. I inserted an object between the wall and the bottom of the clock thereby creating a space between the clock and the wall. That helps somewhat.
on November 5, 2014
Very nice heavy weight clock. Changed time automatically at daylight savings. Have it hanging outside on our patio. Very nice looking good sized clock. Was worried about spending much on an outdoor clock but glad I did. It will not blow off the nail head like the last cheap clock I had did.
on February 12, 2013
This clock stopped working after two months. Unbeatable Sale.com would not return my money. Chaney Instruments has sent me replacements clocks that do not work. They will not return my money. I would not recommend Unbeatable Sale.com for any purchase. Nor would I recommend any clocks made my Chaney Instruments. I have been waiting now for six weeks for a fourth replacement clock. Never ever again would I use either of these companies.
on January 16, 2013
I returned this style of clock twice for the same defect. I was very disappointed that the quality assurance of this product was not up to par. It should have been very apparent to anyone who tried to start the clock that it was not going to work and that the hour and minute hands were overlapped and unable to perform correctly.

To get this identical defect twice in two different clocks is just not acceptable for the vendor. Please make sure that they know this. Even though your returns process is fairly easy, it is still a hassle to give or to get a gift that has to be returned and to wait for another just to find that it, too, has to be returned.

We have ordered another clock and purposefully stayed away from this vendor. Sorry to say that I found the other clock $10 cheaper on another website.

See 1 answered question