Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: AcuRite 01015 Wireless Weather Station with Wind and Rain Sensor
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on March 14, 2011
Installed in about an hour. The next day recorded multiple 25 mile an hour wind events that my old station would never do. Seems to be working better than expected. One note the sending unit needs to be on a very solid pole or very short to prevent the unit from swaying. It will give false rainfall readings. The display has a wealth of information, ticker is hard to read at distance. Backlight is a nice feature. I hope this unit last as long, and works as well as my previous Acu-Rite weather station. Will update this in a few weeks or if anything changes.

UPDATE: The outdoor sensor quit working in about 11 months. I contacted ACURITE, and they replaced it. They were very helpful. Other than the sensor failing I am very pleased with the unit.
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2011
I have had the Acu-Rite Wireless Weather Station in use for about three months now. The outdoor unit is not real good quality. The wind speed sensor started squealing (like it needed lubrication) a few weeks after installation. A drop of speedometer cable lube solved that problem. Now the wind vane on the bottom of the unit is locked up (wind won't move it). Signs of rust on the spindle bearing.

Some good points are that the outdoor temp and rainfall seem to track the National Weather Service official readings pretty closely (their office is about 10 miles away), even on hot days. My outdoor sensor is in sunlight most of the day, so the internal fan seems to do its job.

For the indoor unit, it has a lot of cool features, but one is missing...daily rainfall totals. Also, I noticed that when I turn on the backlight (blue light), the indoor temp will rise a few degrees after a period of time. Room temp is not changing (verified with a separate thermometer). Would have also been nice if it had an atomic clock and set its own time/date, but can't complain too much for the price.

I'm contacting the manufacturer to get the outdoor unit replaced under the one year warranty. We'll see how that goes.

UPDATE 16 SEPT: It's been a week since I sent the company an email requesting warranty service. No response. Tried calling them and got the "all agents are busy" message for 30 minutes. Not making a good impression!

UPDATE 2: Finally got in contact with Acu-Rite. They authorized the return of the defective outdoor unit and sent me a new replacement. (I did have to pay return shipping of the old unit) Bumped the rating up 1 star since they did make it right. It's been a few months now with the replacement outdoor unit and it seems to be working fine.

UPDATE 1/20/12: Noticed that wind speed sensor on the outdoor unit not turning again. Checked it and the sensor spindle bearings are squealing on this one as well. Will have to go back to Acu-Rite again for another replacement. Save yourself some trouble and don't buy this unit.

UPDATE 2/17/12: Sent email message to Customer Service and they agreed to replace the outdoor unit (again) at no charge. This time, they didn't require return of the defective unit. They told me the replacement would come in 7-10 business days, but I got it in about 3 days. Have to give props for good customer service. Replacing the outdoor sensor unit requires pressing the 'clear all' reset button on the base unit to sync up with the new unit, which means losing all your historic data. We'll see how long this one lasts....
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2011
The Acurite 01015 is NOT a "Professional Weather Center" by any means and it is not intended for the "professional weather tracker". Of course, the price should be the first clue. By the same token, one does get a lot for the money. If all one is looking for is a wireless wind, rain, temp sensor, this one is easy to set up and use. Having been a meteorologist in the USAF for 20 years, the biggest drawback I see is that one cannot set/calibrate the barometer. It comes out of the box reading 29.92" and one cannot set it or calibrate it to a known station pressure or reduce it to sea level pressure to allow one to compare readings to other weather stations or one's local TV station. Even the cheapest barometer from your local big-box discount store allows one to set the barometer. The Chaney Customer Support said this unit is not intended to be used in that fashion and the only purpose of the barometer is for the internal weather forecast feature. But, one cannot adjust the sensitivity of barometric changes so minor fluctuations in the barometer results in gloom and doom forecasts or wild forecast swings. My inexpensive LaCrosse weather station at least allows one to adjust the sensitivity. The bottom line is, if you do not expect much from the unit, your expectations will be surpassed. If you are hoping for a "professional weather center", you will be disappointed.

UPDATE - I just wanted to update my original review by saying that after approximately 5 months of use, all three of the anemometer cups fell off. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and apparently the sun is too severe for this unit. The anemometer assembly is plastic and the arms holding the cups are not very robust and apparently dried out and cracked from the intense sun light. Chaney Customer Support sent me a new anemometer without question so I have no complaint with that. But, looking at the replacement, I am not very optimistic regarding the longevity of this unit either. Just one more reason that this unit is NOT a professional weather center.
88 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2011
My adult children bought this weather station for my husband as a Father's Day present. Since he is a farmer, it had to include a rain gauge. Now he checks it every time that he heads out of the back door. It includes wind speed, direction, humidity, and of course the current rainfall and the accumulated rainfall for the month. It resets the rainfall that is current automatically, so don't wait too long to look. All in all we are very pleased with the purchase and it gives quite a bit of information. The wind speed cones are interesting to watch as they spin around. Seeing how fast they are going gives you an impression of the wind speed by just looking outside. Be sure to remove the small plastic piece under the gauge or it will not record the rainfall. The weather station is mounted on the railing of our deck and seemed to be sturdy there. i would recommend the unit mainly because of the interest that it brings to watching the weather. It seems to interest all ages from young to older. My father who was visiting us at the time is 89 and found it very interesting to report the weather after looking at the screen. The screen is a good readable size and sits on our kitchen counter by the back door. it is a good indicator of how to dress for heading outside. Highly recommended especially with the rain gauge which is more expensive but worth it.
on July 26, 2011
I live in Florida.. where are weather is famous and sometimes extreme.. I can tell you that this is a very easy system to set up.. yes you do need a sturdy post.. I used a 4x4 and mounted it.. the great thing about this product is that it is sturdy as well! I bought a station from a competitor and the wind sensor broke as it was connected to anothe sensor with a phone cord and was told that I should have been more careful.. 100 dollar waste.. I saw this system available and its nice the all in one sensor is tough well designed and the wind paddles are on top.. not on the bottom.. and are made of thick plastic instead on thin easy to break. True its not a "professional station" that your local news channel will utilize, but it gives you historical data.. highs.. lows.. for the day, month and all time.. and also has alarms incase you want to be warned of rain.. high winds.. low temps etc.. the great thing to is that the reader is nicely designed and looks nice inside a home.. the blue lit screen makes it easy to read. for $100 you cannot beat this.. there is a rumor that they may sell a wireless bridge to see the weather at your home from your computer at work or on your smart phone.. I doubt the other companies will give you this capability for this price. Even when I go to other websites my system generally matches their data in terms of pressure temps and rainfall... so if the $1000 professional systems are giving close readings as mine then I am ok with that! I would buy this again.. at 100 on amazon this is a very good deal!
on October 2, 2012
I bought this device yesterday at Lowe's for $99, and found it easy to mount and set up initially. Then I discovered what I think was a defective console, or base unit. I could not easily set the clock or the date; the display kept jumping to another function. Then I found that the "calibration" feature did not work - it did not measure inside temperature correctly. I called customer service, and the girl told me that it wasn't DESIGNED to be accurate - they come out of the factory being two degrees away from correct. I must say that the girl wouldn't stop talking, either - she didn't want to listen to what I was saying was wrong with the unit!

I returned this thing today to Lowe's without hassle. I still can't believe that the manufacturer doesn't care about either the quality of the product of the concept of customer relations. I will do something else for a weather station. And I can guarantee it will NOT be an AcuRite product!
on March 1, 2013
This is a real gem right here. Could not be easier to install.
No assembly, no wires, NO NOTHIN'!
Just hang the outside unit on a lamp post (or whatever),
and put the inside unit on your desk. You're done.

Practically ANY parameter can
be alarmed, and it'll sound off:
if it RAINS,
if the wind speed exceeds setting,
if temperature gets too high,
if temperature gets too low,
etc., etc.

Menu may seem a bit complex for some, but what else
is new, you only have mess with it one time.

Overall, this is just a great little unit,
and I would buy another one in a minute.

Joe Lello / KF4AX
on July 16, 2012
I was very excited to get this device last Christmas as I harbor some slight OCD with weather and weather stations in particular. The base unit is pleasing to the eye and lights up a nice blue tone although the contrast between the LCD screen and blue is tough to make out from certain angles. The little touches like average temp/humidity/rainfall are nice and the scrolling info is interesting. The temps have been right on with my Brookstone OTA unit that receives a 5 day forecast and current temps from WeatherDOTcom.

What causes me to write this review after 7 months of use is the fact the remote sensing unit (all in one) appears to suffer from some poor engineering or poor construction. When I first received the unit the solar cell fan worked great (used to more accurately reflect ambient temps) but within a couple weeks I noticed it didn't work at all. The fan failed to spin and the temperature readings suffered from about 11:00am to 4:00 pm when the unit was out of the shade. The other issue I have is the anemometer. My unit is on the roof, mounted to a 4x4 board over the garage so its probably a good 20 ft off the ground but on a particularly windy day I noticed the readings were way off, like reported 30mph winds were showing up as 7mph on the base unit. When I checked the unit out I noticed the anemometer wouldn't spin like it did when I opened the package, it would stick then rotate slowly when it did spin at all. It also made a squeaking sound and felt like it was spinning on gravel. No more wind readings I guess.... I still use the station but I always check it against other ones or the local forecast.
on July 24, 2011
I just installed this weather station and with the Monsoon activity here in the Tucson area, this station is right on and it hasn't even gotten through the 14 day calibration yet. The system is 99% plug and play. You still have to set the time & date. The display is large and the readout is very clear. No, I am not a meteorologist and I am not expecting this station perform like a multi-thousand dollar professional system. But, we are talking about a back yard system here and it's excellent for the price being charged here. If I could think of ONE thing that would improve this system which will not downgrade my review, is that I wish it would mount to a standard TV mast instead of a board. In my opinion, you will not be disapointed with this weather station. The Weather Ticker is a nice bonus. Enjoy it :)
on March 11, 2012
I bought one for myself and it works so good I bought another one and installed it for my Dad. It is interesting to look at the screen and see how many mph the wind is blowing, wind chill, wind direction, rainfall all year without the worry of having a rain gauge freeze up and break. Indoor air temp, humidity indoors and out. If your looking to buy a weather station, this is a great one for the money.