5.0 out of 5 stars Great weather station
Published on May 26, 2011 by snoopywi

3.0 out of 5 stars gave it plenty of chances
Published 23 months ago by Wayne Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great weather station, May 26, 2011
This review is from: AcuRite 01500 Wireless Weather Station with Wind and Rain Sensor (Kitchen)
This weather station fits the bill for me, and I'm kind of a weather nut. I bought this at a local store-been running for a few weeks now with no issues. This unit gives me wind speed and direction, and rainfall amounts as well- which I did not realize until after I purchased it- bonus for me! Of course it gives you indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity, and extras like wind chill, heat index, dew point- and pressure, although I havn't used the pressure too much. It also has a little area in the middle of the display that features a weather forecast pictogram- it's actually pretty accurate too. I have had many other weather stations, and the weather forecasts always seem crazy random and not accurate. The display is nice- has a nice backlight and is easy to read all the stuff that matters to me anyway. The clock is a bit tiny, but I am drowning in clocks anyways. The streaming weather ticker screen is cool, lots of extra information constantly running across- need to be pretty close to read the ticker though. I actually learned that you can customize the ticker readout to ignore stuff you dont care about-like the moon phase for me.

Installation was easy, instructions were easy to read-not like the last product made in China I purchased! It's a simple setup- insert batteries and screw the sensor and bracket mount to something outside- obviously out in the open is best to avoid bad readings for wind and rain- I secured my outdoor sensor to a fence post at the back of my property. REMEMBER to mount it with the south arrow facing south, or the wind direction will be off, and the solar cell wont make the most of the suns energy! I like that there are literally NO WIRES- (except the optional AC adaptor for the display), allot of the other stations say wireless, but there are three units wired together outside, then it is wireless signal to the indoor display- annoying for sure. This one is all in one designed, no wires a all!

The solar cell was a bit confusing at first glance, some users may think that the sensor is solar POWERED, like me- it is NOT, the solar cell powers "an internal aspirating fan" that makes certain the outdoor sensor does not heat up in the sun-giving you false readings of higher than actual temps, this fan is a feature you have to pay extra for on similar models that are more expensive from the get-go. So some users I suspect do not put batteries into the sensor after they see the solar cell...then it will not operate- learn from me,READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! You still have to insert batteries into the outdoor sensor, then you will get a GREAT signal- my outdoor sensor is located about 250-feet or so from my house. The only thing I don't like about it is that the bugs are calling the outdoor sensor home, but I suppose that comes with being outside-not really the manufacturers fault.

I noticed recently at my local wa lmart you can find this same unit, almost. The screen display is different, smaller and not as slick-but all the features are there, and the sensor is the same. It was around $100- good deal! I got one for my brother- likes it so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars gave it plenty of chances, July 26, 2012
Wayne Smith (PINEVILLE, LA, US) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this weather station. For the money I thought it was a real catch. I have been through 4 of these in 13 months. 3 of them for anemometer bearings and now, the humidity sensor. I will say though, that accurite has very good customer service! They replaced every one of them. But c'mon, ive given it enough chances! They admitted to having a batch of bad bearings for the wind sensor, and the humidity sensor going out. Im going to have to give it up. Ill try someone else. But again, Cheney instruments and accurite has good customer service for these failures. They will replace it, no questions.... but im out of my warranty now... Hopefully they'll get all the bugs out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned for refund, January 17, 2013
This worked when I first set it up...then the display started to flash on and off. I called tech support and they told me to change batteries to Ray-o-vac. It worked again for about 3 days. Then it lost communication between sender and display. I reset it. It worked about another 3 weeks. Same thing...wouldn't work...I kept resetting and nothing happened. I called customer support. They said they would send me a new sender unit and I would return the original. Sounded good. They told me to supply them with proof of purchase. I did this. That is when the runaround began. They wouldn't return my emails. I finally just sent the thing back to Amazon and got my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity, July 10, 2012
Alfie (Colorado Springs, CO, US) - See all my reviews
Maybe its due to evolving technology or maybe somebody set forth on a mission to build something that works as advertised. We took the weather station out of the box, put batteries in both the display and the weather station and it worked. The End. I must also mention the owners manual, you can actually read it and understand what you are reading. Maybe because the device so easy to use, all the technical jargon is not necessary. It does not matter what you put the batteries in first, you don't have to have the weather station's Integrated Multi-Sensor and Display within five feet of each other and you don't have to stand on your head! More features than you can imagine and you don't have to buy a separate rain sensor. This is a complete weather center. Now mounting the Multi-Sensor, which seems rather large when you take it out of the box but looks much better mounted is best left up to your imagination. I mounted mine on the apex of the roof hanging out over the garage. If you want to mount yours on a 2x4 or pipe sticking out of the ground that's up to you. But if you have previously owned a weather station endorsed by the Weather Channel, you have to try this one. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product !!!, March 5, 2012
After having this weather station for about one mounth now I can report that this device preforms as advertised and has since the first moment I powered it up. This is in stark contrast to the LaCrosse junk it replaced. The LaCrosse unit only worked for maybe two mounths total out of the eleven mounts I owned it, and those two mounths were not in a row. After several phone calls, shipping it back on my dime, replacement parts that didn't work any better than the originals, and being told my warranty was voided because one of the transmitters was damp inside, I finally gave up and took the loss. Learning from that bad experience I then chose the AcuRite 1500 from Chaney Instruments.

The AcuRite outdoor multi-sensor unit was easy to mount. Since all of the sensors, transmitter (one for all functions), and batteries are housed in one unit it only took a few minutes to be done with that task. This is an advantage over the others that have two or more outdoor components to mount with wires running between them and their transmitters. Upon powering up the base unit it started to give readings right away with a strong signal strength. The blue background gives a very good screen contrast for the LCD display. It's easy to read even in bright light. The base unit comes with a plug in transformer so batteries are not needed for operation, but can be added if desired. This unit has been well thought out and so far is a pleasure to own. It has many features that at first seem to be incidental but are in fact useful. If you are looking for an inexpensive weather station that is easy to set up and operate I highly recommend the AcuRite 1500.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weatherstation works well. Monitor is hard to see and operate., February 26, 2013
Herman (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
For the money, this system is ok, in that it works as advertised. The good part is the integrated Wind and Rain sensor, which is both accurate and easy to install. Plus the wireless communication between the monitor and the weather station also worked properly right from the start. The negative is the monitor, which is extremely dim and has a very sensitive touch screen that sometimes works and sometimes balks at your touch. I had to exchange my first monitor, where the touchscreen never work right when you touched the scroll buttons.
A couple of other comments. One is that what you really want with this system is a wireless module that communicates with the internet and collects your weather station data. I ended up buying one directly from Accurite and have been very happy with it (adds another $80 to cost). The supporting software is good, and I can now see my weatherstation results from my phone and computer. The other comment is that you really have to have a good location to place your weatherstation. In my case, my two story house blocks all South winds (prevailing), so my wind data is substantially compromised. Still that is a problem with any weather sensors. Overall I am very satisfied with the results I get from my weatherstation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wireless weather station!, March 7, 2013
MWR (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
After my old, cheap station died I spent weeks reading and reseraching wireless weather stations to much consternation and finally decided to try this Acurite model and am very pleased with my purchase. It has been installed for almost 2 weeks and has worked flawlessly and I have validated the data against other local on-line weather stations, including a Davis! I love the one piece sensor design and it was very easy to install and set up. I really love watching the anemometer spin and then trying to guess the actual wind speed (call me a nerd!). The wind chill has been particularly handy the past few days with cold, windy, wet weather. The solar power is very welcome too!

Pros:
Ease of installation and set up
Simplicity
Accuracy
Volume of data and statistics gathered
Value

Room for improvement:
Refresh rate could be better (18 seconds)
Could use an atomic clock (I hate changing clocks for day light savings)
Decimal display for temp and humidity
Legibility of the weather scroll at the bottom needs improvement on the high rate (it has a limited viewing angle)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, September 15, 2011
I've always been interested in all things 'weather', so this year, I decided to purchase my own birthday gift...a weather station. Hubby kept saying we didn't need an expensive station to which I would agree but also knew if I didn't get one with all the bells and whistles, that within a week I would be saying "if I had only spent $10 more..." etc. The Acu-Rite 01500 Weather Station with Wind and Rain Sensor is perfect for us. Living in the mid-west, we have not had the opportunity to really 'test' the rain gauge this year but the wind speed sensor has proven "we do have WIND" and farmer hubby calls home often asking "what is the humidity now?" The Weather Station is easy to set up, to read, and offers all the information a novice would want. A good buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome weather station, but not durable at all., April 5, 2013
I have owned several weather stations over the years, but this one is my favorite. The features are great. It has all the readings most of us would ever need. But I walked outside after owning this for 6 months and one of the wind cups was missing from the unit. I walked over and reached up to check the others, and they both disintegrated in my hand. It would appear they cannot take the UV rays. The unit is covered under warranty, but even new ones are only going to last a few months. And then what? I have to buy all future replacements? Poorly made.

1.0 out of 5 stars They always break, January 12, 2013
Scott M. Schumacher (Hermosa, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Don't buy an AcuRite. I've bought three of these over the years and every time they break...don't transmit / receive from the remote sensor. It works for about the first year then they stop working. I've always followed the instructions and replaced batteries, etc. That third one will be my last for sure !!!

Rate and Discover Movies