on January 9, 2008
I bought both Adwords for Dummies and the Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords and they are both good books but the Dummies guide has proven more useful. First off, the Dummies guide is about 90 pages longer, feels more comprehensive, has more step by step instructions and has many more screen shots than the other guide. What's more, the Dummies format makes it familiar once you open the cover, so it's easier to digest information with familiar icons, tips and warnings throughout, especially if you're not an expert at this stuff. Secondly, the $25 Google Adwords gift card (which was actually $30 for me as it also covered the $5 sign up fee) was great and easy to use. Make sure you apply it to your Adwords account when you sign up or within 15 days of signing up. The Ultimate Guide to Adwords cover says it has details on a "Free Google Success Toolkit" ($85 value) inside, but I have yet to find it. Looked in the index, intro, front and back covers, kind of irritating.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I think a slightly better title for this book would be "Online Marketing with AdWords for Dummies". I say that because the book goes beyond just AdWords to talk about the peripheral systems involved. Personally, I was after purely AdWords information, so the extra stuff was just something to be ignored and bypassed.

That added material aside, if you want a VERY thorough walk through AdWords, this book will serve your needs quite well. It is dense, full of very useful information and techniques. The author also includes a great deal of supporting info and tools on a support website, which helps to keep things up-to-date.

All in all, a fantastic investment.
on September 21, 2007
When I started flipping through the pages of this book, I started to feel a sense of relief that someone finally made the complex system of Adwords simple.

Even for someone who knows the system well, like myself, to be able to have a book like this is like a breath of fresh air.....because it targets and highlights the key elements you need to know.

Sometimes we end up knowing too much on something, and the real key is knowing EXACTLY the most important elements.

Howie did a brilliant job of making this book user friendly and at adding in more content that ties directly to Adwords...like conversion and landing pages.

I even found a quick tip I implemented immediately on my site at UnlockTheGame.com...I added "7 days a week, 24 hours a day" next to my phone numbers and my inbound calls leads have dramatically improved.

Something so simple, which most online marketers miss.

Thanks Howie for a great resource.
on December 4, 2007
I usually don't buy the Dummies books, but I decided to buy this one because of the good reviews and the fact that it was the most current title on adwords available. I had already signed up for adwords before buying the book and I really didn't know a whole lot about it. I was just trying to understand all the options offered but didn't really know how to use them to my advantage.

This book explained it all and really showed me how to run an adwords campaign the right way. With the $25 credit for google adwords it really is basically free...but I'd say that even without the credit. The information is more valuable than the price of the book.
on September 15, 2007
I've played around with purchasing ad words for several years, but I've never really understood enough to get the results I was hoping for. Despite the high potential, it's a subject that can very quickly get complicated.

Then along came Howie Jacobson's wonderful new book, and suddenly it all began to make sense. In typical "Dummies" style, this book makes it clear how ad words work and how to set them up to your advantage, and miraculously, it does it all in a painless (okay, enjoyable) way.

If you've been wanting to take part in the biggest thing to hit advertising since the invention of the 30 second TV commercial, but didn't know how or where to start, buy this book and you'll be on your way. You'd be a dummy not to.
on October 2, 2007
For the past few years, Perry Marshall's "The Definitive Guide to Google AdWords" has been the "King of the Hill" tutorial for serious Internet Marketers when it came to learning Google's popular pay-per-click advertising strategy.
Well move over Perry `cause there's a new sheriff in town. Dr. Howie Jacobson is now in the driver's seat with his new book "AdWords for Dummies".

This complete guide can show the absolute novice who can barely spell Google if given the first three letters, how to set up an account or it can show the most experienced marketer how to put in place their split testing program or their conversion tracking.

While the information in "AdWords for Dummies" is spot on, it's the format and style that really sets this book apart.

Wiley Publishing Inc, the books publisher has perfected the "Dummies" series format for teaching almost anything and Howie's plugged into that. He's taken the format, applied it to Google's complex and potentially confusing program and done a great job in making it understandable for everyone.

Starting from scratch, even the most inexperienced rookie following Howie's step by step approach can set up an account, establish their budget, write their first ad, select a few key words and have an initial campaign in place in a couple of hours.

But here's the amazing aspect of this approach. As Howie shows you, your feedback is immediate. Within 24-48 hours you'll have some results. Good or bad. That's when Howie steps in. He next shows you how to begin tweaking your campaign so you can begin achieving maximum response.

Where Howie really shines is STYLE. Do you remember seeing the comedian Gallagher? Remember how he always said the word style......styyyyyyyyle.....it took about five seconds it seemed. Well, that how I would say it to you if we were talking. Howie's style has got a great sense of humor and an arsenal of relatable stories. He uses both in his teaching to keep the reader's attention and to make his points seem achievable by anyone.

Why's this important you ask? Well, this topic has all the potential to be as boring and dry as Alan Greenspan talking on monetary policy. Without some styyyyyle, the readers are heading for the TV remote and/or the refrigerator.

Howie doesn't let them get away.

If you are looking to start a pay-per-click campaign on Google and have no experience then this book is for you. If you want to improve an existing campaign, this book is for you too.

Howie's hit a home run!
on November 7, 2007
As you may or may not know - Howie Jacobson was, at one point, a Teacher. He truly shows his teaching skills in this book...

I've read a TON of Adwords books and I swore that there was no book better than "Beating Adwords", until I read this. I mean it's not even remotely close, to be honest.

This book closed SO many gaps that were left open from all of the other books.

If you're a beginner - you're going to walk away knowing MORE than most "advanced" level Google Adwords users. If you're advanced - you're going to prove to yourself that you were NOT as advanced as you probably thought.

This book is just amazing for what it gives you. The price compared to all of those $47-$97 ebooks is almost a joke! On top of that - you get a $25 AdWords voucher code too! =)

There's no comparison... take it from a guy who has bought every AdWords ebook and several PPC/AdWords paper back books.

If you don't buy this book - you're KILLING your revenue and your bank account!

One other plus about the author is that he's VERY quick to reply to questions. Maybe I just got lucky and hit him at a good time? No... he replied quickly to two other queries too!

He's also got a very nice companion website to go with the book... it's not one of those cheesy outdated websites like a lot of technical books have. It's actually answering questions, giving more info, etc. It's a blog, actually.

This book is the best Adwords book on the market... and if I say it anymore - someone will assume I am the guys mother or father. I promise you I have absolutely no relations with the guy, nor do I know him. I am just pumped about spending so little money to learn so much after spending so much money on other books in the past!
on January 21, 2008
This is an excellent primer on a very complicated and difficult subject to master. If you can get past the sillyness and bad jokes (the reason for my rating the book four stars instead of five), which I'm sure are meant to lighten things up, this will take you far into the world of AdWords. The mechanics of AdWords are straight forward, but complicated and with many layers and AdWords for Dummies gets you through that with a minimum of pain. The real challenge comes with trying to write a good ad and choosing the right (and wrong, in the case of negative) keywords. Sadly, I'm in an industry (fine jewelry) where bids on the best keywords are up to $5.00 and $10.00 right now (at Valentine's Day).
on September 14, 2007
Adwords for Dummies is very informative view on the complex Google tool. Howie Jacobson gives insight and direction with humor and simplicity. I have struggled with Adwords for quite a while now and I have found many helpful tips and practices in this book.

Once you have purchased the book Dr. Jacobson has a website "[...]" set up with tutorials and even more tips that guide you even further towards being successful in advertising with Google. I found this website very helpful also.

Adwords for Dummies is geared towards the beginner but it also has some great new ideas for the more advanced. I need to add that I found myself laughing out loud quite often.

Nice job!
on February 22, 2008
I have an online business and have been using Google Adwords for about a year now. It has worked pretty well, and I was happy with the results. I started to look into ways to improve traffic to my website, and bought this book based on the recommendations here. In the first chapter alone I learned over a dozen tools, tricks and ideas for improving my adword campaign that I had no clue about! And it just got better. Howie writes in a friendly, easy to understand manner that makes this not only a valuable tool, but an entertaining read also! If you are currently using Adwords, thinking about Adwords, or have an ecommerce site but aren't yet using Adwords, buy this book, immediately. This is a comprehensive, easy to understand book for both beginner and seasoned user with countless ideas, suggestions and tools for improving your CTR and ROI. There is something for everyone in here. I cannot stress enough how important Google Adwords has been to my business, and with my new understanding of how to use it (I was doing the bare minimum before and thought it was doing fine!), I have only made two or three of the dozens of changes I need to and have already seen a signifiant jump in not only traffic to my site, but they are interested, paying customers, not just empty clicks that cost me money. And I cannot stress enough how amazing this book has been in helping me figure out how to use the system to my advantage.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations