5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poorly written
Published 16 months ago by scubabelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life, July 23, 2010
GNT (Pacifica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book! The message is simple, change your thought patterns, change your life. In the book the author goes over the ing formula, the formula that will help you to change your thought patterns. Through affirmations, meditation, visualization, physical activity and writing activities the author guides you towards breaking your negative thought patterns and creating new, healthy thoughts that attract more abundance and positive people. I made a mistake with this book in thinking you were supposed to read the entire book, do all of the exercises for 30 days. That task proved to be exhausting and impossible. However upon second reading I realized that the book is intended to be tackled in chapters. So for example if you are lacking balance in your life then you are to read the chapter on balance and practice the activities for balance only.

I discovered that the author has a podcast on itunes where you can download free lectures and guided meditations. The podcast is a nice compliment to the book and if you are committed to doing the work the guided meditations are a nice support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life...and have evidence to prove it!, March 23, 2010
To say the message and teachings in this book have changed my life would be the genuine TRUTH! After reading the book ADD MORE ing TO YOUR LIFE and really committing to the work which is thoroughly described, my life changed drastically in many areas! Having the pleasure to learn from Gabrielle directly in her group sessions in which she fully implements her guide to adding more ING she has proven to be nothing less then a life changer! I feel I owe so much to Gabrielle especially as I look at the place I am in my life right now. This book taught me to regain my self-worth, my strength, and my love for ME! It took me from a dark, difficult, tragic event in my life, and showed me the light...my inner light...my ING..and I heard it loud and clear! If you take it seriously and have faith in this wonderful woman, who has proven her skill and knowledge by changing her own life and so many lives of others that I personally know, then this book is for you! Your life will undoubtedly change in one or more areas and you will generally be a happier person! DON'T WAIT...READ THIS BOOK...and if you need proof, feel free to ask me ;-)

Love and Light,
Kassie

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my thoughts..., September 15, 2010
Apparently A.Lamb and others don't read Introductions, because on page 26, Bernstein gives a huge shout out to A Course in Miracles. Anyone familiar with the Course, or even Marianne Williamson, can see where she pulls most of her ideas and inspiration. I don't think Bernstein claims to be an expert in any way what so ever-- she is simply offering her interpretation of a text (A Course in Miracles) and how to apply it. If you have ever confronted A Course in Miracles you are aware that it is very dense and dizzying to be frank, though extremely transformational once you really grasp its concepts.

Bernstein does an excellent job of suggesting actual hands on solutions to coming to terms with potentially paralyzing fear and her tone reminds me of those perpetually positive happy people, so much so that within days I felt encouraged to aspire to approach my life and experiences through a brighter hue. This is a book for people who want concrete ideas for how to improve their lives. If you are looking for a theological explanation of her methods than you should check out A Return To Love or A Course in Miracles itself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poorly written, February 25, 2013
scubabelly (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Add More Ing to Your Life: A Hip Guide to Happiness (Paperback)
I think she's has done the work she writes about, but the writing was SO BAD that I just could not get through it. Given her background in PR work, she has definitely done a good job publicizing her work but she's not a strong writer and the conversational, trying too hard to be cool tone is a little annoying. She's not matured as a writer and the poor writing is a distraction from her message (which of course, is not really well articulated because the writing is just not very good). I think she's got great energy and is sincere, but has a ways to go as a serious writer.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good precursor to ACIM; beware if you are older than 30, March 30, 2013
If you are contemplating the purchase of this book, you should know that in one of the first chapters, the author states that it is her intention to bring inspirational work to HER GENERATION. In other words, if you are 30 or over, you are not in her target audience.

This being said, if you can weed through all the casual jargon and excessive talk about the dating world, there is a decent amount of inspiration to be gained in the text. Mostly, I'm finding the quotes of the "Course in Miracles" and her reference to OTHER authors to be a great starting point for getting back into some mindful living.

I think this is an awesome introductory book for someone who's exploring the idea of bringing more power into his/her life. Especially for someone who's in the late teen/twenty-something age bracket.

I also think that the focus on all these "ing" activities like climbing, jumping, etc is a bit of a gimmick. Does it help get you out of your head? yes. Is it NECESSARY for becoming inspired and more powerful in your life? I don't think so. I think if a person were to focus in on the meditating recommendations, that would probably be very powerful. I think the journaling can also be very effective too. I'm not saying that people should not engage in all that she recommends--if a person has time to do all that, more power to you! But as a mom of 2 little kids, my lifestyle is not very conducive to frequent meditative physical adventures. But I won't let that stop me, and I think Gabrielle would applaud that.

I really do think that nothing but good can come from anyone reading this book, even older generations. However, I am finding the book very repetitive and not very dense with inspiration. I have read other authors which were more mind-blowing with almost every page, so if you're looking for that, I don't think this is the book for you. Try Marianne Williamson instead, whom Gabrielle mentions herself.

I'm giving this 3 stars only because I really don't think this book is for EVERYONE. It's got a lot of great stuff, but for some potential buyers, there are other books that will serve better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining yet flawed, January 13, 2012
Bernstein peppers the text with inspirational quotes and useful ideas but buries them in dense, propagandistic mush. She often contradicts herself in her prolonged tangents which results in a text that that seems to meander like a bored insect. Bernstein preaches her "~ing equation" as the only successful means of achieving happiness and serenity. This fact in and of itself strips Bernstein of all credibility. She does not recognize or address the fact that every person has a unique and individual identity; there are women that are perfectly content without the formation of an "inner guide" that rules their thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. At times, the technique can even seem like a crutch for anxiety that creates the illusion of happiness. Though it may not be literary gold, it does convey a valuable message: a positive attitude can carry you far. Rather than using this book as a guide, as it is marketed to be used, I suggest that readers only use it as a citation in their own, unique work of happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Motivating, March 24, 2010
Gabrielle Bernstein's "Add More ~ing To Your Life" came into my life at the perfect time.
I have been going through a huge transitional period in my life, and I feel that that is a great time to read this particular book.
Gabrielle speaks in a way that you can relate and understand, and know that happiness and growth are all in your reach with some very simple changes.
I like that she is speaking as your equal. She is not trying to tell you what to do, but giving you advice from her own experience and her experience from helping others reach their own personal goals.
I must admit, I have not completely done the exercises she speaks of. Little by little I have, but not a straight 30 days as she says to do, but even so I have still gained benefits of her exercises in the small doses I have taken part in, and even in just reading the book.
Truthfully, as someone who has gained a lot from this book I must say I took it a little personally when I read a negative review of the book. Not because it was negative, as we all have our own opinions, however the certain things that were said in this particular review. Gabrielle made sure to explain she was a regular person, not an expert. She is someone who hit her personal rock bottom and had to build herself up into who she is today, which is an empowered woman who cares enough to want to help others do the same she has done to live up to their full potential and enjoy life. Also, an expert is created through time...from experience. An expert, in my book, is not always a person who has the diploma, the certifications, the this, the that.
This book kept my interest throughout, and as I took the metro into work and back home each day I was excited to continue reading during my 20 minute train rides. There are many books I have started that intend to help you and reach a higher place in life, but they rarely keep my interest to continue reading.
I definitely recommend this book to others, as I already have to my friends, acquaintances, and even my mom (who is reading it at this moment!).

2.0 out of 5 stars Message almost lost in "hip" language, October 16, 2011
There is a lot in this book to like especially if you are a Course in Miracles student. Unfortunately, it's buried in the author's desperate attempts at hip language that are incredibly annoying and contrived. How many times can the author use the words hip, vibe and dig in one book? With some serious rewriting and editing, there would be a very powerful book here. As it is, I'm finding it difficult to finish. I don't want to work this hard at liking a book, to be able to stomach the writing style I have to skip words, rewrite sentences as I'm reading them and distill the message from the really bad writing. I think I'll just go back and reread one of Marianne Williamson's books and shelve this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lov~ing This Book!, March 23, 2010
Gabrielle Bernstein has the innate ability to completely relate to her reader. She is honest, open, and driven to help all young women and men achieve the level of happiness that she has. Her book is easy to follow, comprehensive, and provides dozens of tools to bring more happiness into our lives and therefore the world. I am so happy and grateful to have found this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adding More 'ing To My Life, January 13, 2010
As soon as I began to read Gabrielle Bernstein's book Add More 'ing To Your Life, I felt a marked internal shift. At first there was a bit of uneasiness because my ego knew that what I was reading was about to shake things up, and it wasn't too thrilled. But, within pages I also felt a sense of compassion, love and peace. I settled right into her poignant, no-nonsense, validating messages.

By the end of the first chapter, I was ready to apply what I had learned in some way. My way is writing, so I wrote like crazy. So much came pouring out - many "long-buried negative beliefs" - in Gabrielle's words. You name it, from money, body perceptions, career to relationship stuff. I wrote and cried. Cried and wrote.

In just a few short chapters of Add More 'ing To Your Life has given me the confidence and courage to face many of my past wounds and to forgive the little girl who was hurt so long ago. I'm now strengthening my relationship with her, welcoming her into my life instead of shutting the door on her. I'm embracing her when she visits instead of wronging her.

A key message in Add More 'ing To Your Life is that by sharpening our listening skills, of our inner guidance, happiness, love, compassion, all the amazing things we want to feel all the time, will become a lower hanging fruit. We also do this by sharpening our listening skills when we are triggered by our fears, by facing the more difficult emotions we experience, by addressing hurtful situations and by allowing ourselves to walk through our discomfort, our pain vs. pushing it away.

Along with the countless, profound messages on each page of Add More 'ing To Your Life, I have uncovered a valuable key to unlocking the door to my happiness, to the love that exists within me. I've been expecting my negative beliefs - misbeliefs or myths - to go away just because I acknowledged and "dealt with" them once, maybe twice or even eight times.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is...

"Each day your ego is waiting to attempt to pull you down to its level. Therefore, embrace the attitude of progress, not perfection, and if you find yourself falling down a notch or two, don't fret - just dust yourself off, lift yourself up and keep on climbing."

This is life...in our imperfect human, physical form. In Add More ~ing To Your Life, we learn that we can choose love and happiness, which is always there, inside of us at the core of our souls, ready to be selected and released.

Add More Ing to Your Life: A Hip Guide to Happiness
Add More Ing to Your Life: A Hip Guide to Happiness by Gabrielle Bernstein (Paperback - September 13, 2011)
$14.99 $10.27