5.0 out of 5 stars An essential resource for parents of addicts
Published on February 24, 2004 by C. Dawes

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative
Very informative the persprective of some of the addicts was very moving I bought this book for my kindle and a hard copy for my mother.
Published 18 months ago by kime

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential resource for parents of addicts, February 24, 2004
This review is from: Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery. (Paperback)
Addict in the Family is a helpful guide for parents of addicts. Conyers reviews what is known about drug use today, including detailed information about the effects of alcohol, marijuana, cocaine and heroin, without using 'scare tactics.' Using personal stories, she demonstrates some of the characteristics of addicts (lying, manipulation, denial, etc.). Most important, she provides a blue print for parents to work on their own recovery. As selfish as it appears, the work parents do on themselves also helps the addict. As a coach helping parents of children with addictions, I will recommend this book to all my clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for everyone who cares, August 25, 2007
When as a parent, your absolutely worst nightmare comes true and you find out your child has addiction issues, finding resources and information is difficult to say the least. This book should be recommended for everyone who knows and cares about anyone with an addiction problem. Addict in the Family gave me insight into behaviors, mine and my daughter's that I have struggled with for two years. It also sheds a light on the road to come. It gave me not only strength of conviction, but also understanding. It was a heaven send to have my own words of fear, concern and love echoed in the pages of this book, and know I'm not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Order more than one copy!, September 30, 2005
R. Hayes (Columbus, IN. USA) - See all my reviews
I read this book in one afternoon, the most informative, educational, and well-spent afternoon in months. This book should be a must-read for anyone who's living with a close friend or family member suffering from a drug or alcohol addiction. This book provided SO MANY answers for me to all those questions that anyone in my situation would ask. This book will be kept close for future reference, a gem that I am extremely happy to have found. I plan to order copies for other family members, as I don't intend to part with mine!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Must Read, September 10, 2007
As a mother of an addict, this book is exactly what I needed. I didn't think I was going to keep my sanity, I really needed help! This book provided hope, advice, encouragement for ME, fulfilled my anxiety with calmness and a real sense of PEACE. Ms. Conyers put this book together with such expertise that it felt like she was my personal counsellor. I took notes throughout and read it in one day. I couldn't put it down. It's helped me deal with my addiction to trying to "fix" my addicted daughter. So much better than any other book I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, April 8, 2008
This is a very helpful book for any person with an addict in the family. This book confirmed many of the same things I am going through with my son who is addicted to painkillers and heroin. In addition to helping me cope and help me understand my son's own addiction, it has revealed to me the importance of getting myself well. Addiction effects the entire family in a very damaging and far reaching way. I have a long way to go but I am learning to detach myself in order to move forward and be there for my son when he finally decides that recovery is the best and only course of action. This will be probably one of the toughest challenges I will face in my life. This book has given me hope and let me know that I am not alone in this lifelong struggle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this one first - great overview!, January 1, 2008
Hopeless confusion are the two words that come to mind when I think of the time I learned my two daughters were heroin addicts. I wish I had this book then. It gives very good descriptions and examples of the things you will feel, the questions you will have, and the hope that is there behind all the despair. You'll still try to cure them, but it won't take so long to realize that you can only cure yourself. This book is also for those of you who dismiss the worthless, lying, thieving drug addicts and alcolholics out there as a waste of effort, as I once did. Read this book, and feel the pain and agony of the loving codependents of those addicts, and pray you are not next.

5.0 out of 5 stars you won't feel alone after this, January 9, 2007
I recomend this book to anyone who has a loved one, friend, nieghbor, co- worker who is involved in drugs or if you are suspicious that they may be. Perhaps also to parents of younger kids who want to be somewhat prepared for thier future, especially if any member of the family has had an addiction of any kind. Addiction is a deadly disease and a very sad one. It helps to see, unfortunately, that you are not alone. But never give up, get educated on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Many Written, September 4, 2007
S. K. Smalley (Canyon Lake, Tx USA) - See all my reviews
I am taking the time to write this review to encourage anyone who is in a close relationship with an addict to read this book. I have read many books on addiction but this one has really changed my way of looking at my own life while dealing with the addiction of a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent....right on!, November 27, 2007
Addict in the Family it a great read for both the family as well as the substance user. For the family it confirms everything we feel and how we unknowingly continue to enable the user. It gives you help on how to encourage the user to seek the help they need while not enabling and giving them the love and support they need. I though I understood my user, but this book filled in all the missing pieces and helped me to really get it. For the user it helps them to understand what the family really goes through and how their substance use really affects the ones they love and the family dynamics. I leave mine in the bathroom or on the coffee table and often I see it moved or placed differently....he reads it a little at a time when he visits....and sometime we have open discussions about something he has read in the book. ANOTHER great book [ASIN:0060919698 Willpower's Not Enough: Recovering from Addictions of Every Kind]...meant for the user...but great for the family as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for Family Members of an Addict, March 20, 2008
This is one of the best books I have read in regards to how addiction affects the family. It has some stories as examples, but gets to the point. I am a counselor and a family member of an addict. I found this book right on with my experiences dealing with my younger sister who is an addict. It has a nice balance of education and ways to deal with an addict. We as family members have to stop enabling the addict or we are just helping them stay sick. This book makes this point very clear. Well written and easy to read. This book is a source of comfort like the author states in her introduction. She did a great job putting together information and she is so right when she states there are few books out there for family memebers. I would love to see one on how siblings are affected by the addict and the parents that focus on the addict. I thought this was so well written I bought and sent copies to all my siblings and mother. We all have participated or are still participating in enabling behaviors, which although intentions are good, it is not helpful, it is destructive.

Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery.
Addict In The Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and Recovery. by Beverly Conyers (Paperback - August 26, 2003)
$14.95 $13.06