Top critical review
44 people found this helpful
Where's the recovery?
on September 16, 2007
* - This video does a terrific explaining addiction as a brain disease, the best I've ever seen.
* - They did a great job choosing the experts to interview, they are the most respected researchers in the field today.
* - A segment on parity and the efforts of a steamfitters union to self-insure do a great job illustrating how difficult it is to get decent treatment.
* - There is no presentation of recovery. I assume this series is intended to reduce stigma. Without presenting recovery, I fear it will increase stigma.
* - It oversells pharmacological treatments. A lay person I say the centerpiece video with said, "so all you need to do is get one of those prescriptions?" They give the impression that the medications are a complete treatment rather than a potentially helpful tool.