Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on January 7, 2013
I received these for Christmas to replace the Sennheiser Adidas PMX 680i Sports Headset I was using. The sound is astonishingly good and loud. The 680i had the best bass of any earbuds I had used, but the highs were lacking. These improve the sound quality immensely at all ranges and are LOUD with little distortion. The 680i were the most comfortable earbuds i'd ever used, and the 685i is just as good.

My only complaint compared to the 680i is there is no longer a breakaway cord. The in line controls are pretty high up towards the ear (previously I just removed them). It tends to bounce a little and pull on the ear slightly if I don't secure it. Not enough to rate down to 4. Awesome.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 7, 2013
The Sennheiser Adidas PMX 685i neckband headphones are so lightweight, you almost forget you are wearing them. Waterproof and rinse able, they come with a nice storage pouch, cable clip, spare rings, and ear bud covers.

Sound is crisp, strong and clear (very good bass and treble) and largely shuts out ambient noise. The headband is ultra flexible and adjustable, and the cable is largely tangle-free. The ear buds fit snugly into my ears without pain or discomfort, even after a long time, and they don't fall out while jogging or working out.

The control has a microphone and allows you to take phone calls (if used with a phone), pause, fast forward, skip back, etc. They can be worn behind the neck or over the head and both ways are comfy, perfect for workouts or jogging.

Rugged and cool.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2013
I purchased the PMX 685i to replace the previous model (Sennheiser PMX 680) that my dog happened to get her paws on. I was satisfied with the 680 model in terms of comfort and fit, but it was lacking in sound quality overall. Still, they were superior to anything I tried in that price range and were excellent headphones for when I ran or went to the gym.

My first impression with the 685i has been very good. The headphones sit comfortably in my ears and don't move around. They are fairly light and once you break them in you'll hardly be able to tell you're wearing them which is what I look for in headphones when running. The sound quality is what struck me as the biggest improvement. Lows, mids, and highs are all balanced and sound very clear and crisp, even at high volumes. Bass is strong but not muddy or overpowering. After listening to a few of the songs from my usual workout playlist I found myself hearing small details in the music that were hidden on the 680s. The little dongle on the cable is also a welcome feature for iPod owners. I was happy to find that I could play/pause/change-track/increase-volume/decrease-volume all from the little 3 button attachment.

I would not normally spend 80$ on workout headphones but after trying some other brands in the 20-40$ price range I found myself unsatisfied. I believe these headphones are worth the cost. My 680's lasted me many years and I'm hoping the 685's will too. I suppose I should thank my dog for destroying the previous model!

Pros:
+ Comfortable and snug fit for me.
+ Nice balanced and clear sound.
+ Dongle is great for iPod owners.

Cons:
+ Expensive for something you'll probably be working out in.
+ Dongle is probably useless for non-iPod owners.
on January 20, 2013
Have had these for a week. They are terrific for running. No falling out, no moving around. Great sound.

I wear my iphone in a band on my right arm. I throw the cable over my back and up under my arm and the wire is the perfect length. It also puts the controls about shoulder height so it is easy to find.

After struggling with other running headphones that were constantly slipping around, I couldn't be happier with these.
on February 15, 2013
I hate, ABSOLUTELYHATE, in-ear headphones for a very important reason. My ear rakes up wax very fast and in ear headphones push my wax further inside causing blockage, etc. And sometimes they don't even go into the ear. So I got this one because I have owned the PMX80's before and have loved them.

This one is as good, and beautiful when used with an Apple product. The inline controls work perfectly for controlling the music. The sound quality is FANTASTIC! I am on my iPad now with these, and the sound quality is a blast! Truly good headphones.
on February 14, 2013
Stay away!

The good: Ergonomics, they definitely stay put for both cardio and strength training exercise.

The so-so:
1) Sound quality is sub-par on the highs and mids. Very muffled sound, and overly bass-y. They do block out a lot of noise at the gym with the volume set high enough. To the other reviewers that said the sound quality on these is good: If you have only used the included iPod/iPhone headphones previously, you will probably be impressed with the sound quality (the Apple iPod/iPhone headphones are garbage). However, if you routinely use another high quality headphone, such as a Klipsch or Bose, etc, you will definitely be disappointed with the sound quality on these.
2) The center control button (the one that will pause, play, forward, and reverse tracks) on the iPod/iPhone is difficult to use properly when working out. That is, one click is pause/play, three clicks is previous track, and two clicks is next track. If you are trying to go the the next or previous, you will most likely end up pausing/playing.

The bad: Volume rocker which controls the iPod/iPhone volume stopped working after three weeks. Returning them. Obviously, not durable to stand up to 15 or so workout sessions, even being stored in the included bag when not in use.
on January 29, 2013
I have purchased two of these four years apart. I love the behind the head design of the lightweight connecting band, but for the price, this headset cut too many corners. The ear inserts are solid Apple style--a one size fits all but not really design. They sound much better when I run in winter because my ear insulating headband forces them a bit further inside my ear for a snug fit. In warmer weather, they don't fit in my ear very well and the sound suffers big time. The later model I purchased has a two piece wire with a sound control wheel built into the connecting jack. Although the headphones still work, the jack failed after a year and the longer section of wire is useless. I connect it to my ipod Shuffle with the shorter section alone and dial-in the volume with the iPod. The other major failing of the ear buds is that the tiny speakers are covered by two flimsy thin rubber-like gaskets that can easily become dislodged and lost. For a headphone that costs $80.00 I consider this design flaw to be inexcusable. Finally, the back of the head band could have been three times more effective as a safety warning if the reflective tape had been extended all the way across. How much did this save Senheiser? The bottom line is that although these are a home run idea, the execution is only fair and the price will make the user feel cheated in the end.

See 1 answered question