Adobe Acrobat X Standard
Platform for Display: PC DiscChange
Price:$399.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 14, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
I had a choice between version 9 and X and made the wrong one. I had been using the trial version of 9 and loved how I could copy information in a PDF as a table and paste into Excel. Version X says it has this great new feature of being able to save a PDF as an Excel file and I thought, "Great!" Uh, not so great. Information that used to copy and paste beautifully into Excel is now a jumbled mess. Some of the columns don't translate correctly, so instead of information spread out over 3 or 4 columns, it's all in one - I can get THAT from the free Adobe Reader. I've tried saving as Excel, saving as a Word docx and copy/pasting but each way has produced poor results. I've tried the copy and paste into Excel from some of the exact PDFs that worked with version 9, so it's definitely this version. Maybe there are some other ways that X is better than 9, but this is a huge thing to not work well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
When I bought a new computer in January 2011 I upgraded from Acrobat 8 Standard to Acrobat X Standard specifically because the product advertises it is compatible with MS Office 2010 and Windows 7. I am running 64-bit Windows 7 Home edition. My MS Office suite is 32-bit. Unfortunately, I can't create .pdfs from any Office products.

I spent 61 minutes on hold waiting to get through to a tech support individual the first time I called. I have since spent several hours with a tech from India on two different occasions where he controls my screen and tries to solve the problem. The individual has had no luck trying to fix the problem. I really don't think the tech support individual knew much more than I did by watching him fumble around on my screen. I think he may have been searching Adobe's support site for answers! He rescheduled for a third time, but failed to contact me. I have now had to reopen the support claim because Adobe considered my case "resolved" since they didn't hear from me for a few days after the tech failed to call back.

I am not sure all the bugs are worked out of the program. I have no problems with any other software on my computer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 10, 2010
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Lets face it; after two decades, Adobe is running out of ways to make documents seem exciting.

With Acrobat 10, there are three price tiers. Acrobat pro adds the ability to redact information, make forms and embed media files. Acrobat suite tries to vertically integrate Acrobat with technology from Adobe's other products (Flash, Premiere, and Photoshop) to provide an alternative to Powerpoint.

Here's what would excite me: If Adobe took the time to rewrite Acrobat from the bottom up as a 64-bit application. I am running Acrobat on Windows 7 64-bit and it still uses antiquated 32-bit code.

I would also be excited if Adobe added serious multi-threading support since most of today's computers have two, four, six and even more processor cores.

Adobe definitely has not skimped on heavy-handed Digital Rights Management -- the buzzword for its effort to keep you from stealing this software. Adobe runs its Windows background software even when you aren't running Acrobat. The software phones-home any hardware anomalies or license-key issues that might arouse suspicion.

In the past, Acrobat has been accused of being "bloatware"--software that is overly elaborate and innefficient in completing simple tasks. This can be inevitable when you have these giant applications with very long development cycles and inevatible staff turnover.

Acrobat still has the "feel" of being "code-by-committee." In making each new version, the marketers tell the developers the feature-sets they want. Those features get tacked-on. That spark of true innovation and daring originality that defines the startup-phase of a new idea is lost in bureaucracy. Bloatware happens when programming stops being art and stops being invention; Acrobat is long-decended down that slippery slope.

The consequence of aggressive Digital Rights Management and Bloatware is more compatibility problems -- I personally had a dramatic compability problem that caused my mostly-clean Windows 7 install to hang while booting after installing this software. I'll give Adobe the benefit-of-the-doubt and hope I was a rare exception.

If you intend to use this software for exactly the same things you would have used it for in 1999 -- and you are lucky enough to not fall on the wrong side of Adobe's DRM or compatibility issues -- it will work just fine. You can scan documents, merge documents, recognize text and all the great things you were able to do when Desktop PCs seemed as new as iPads.

Here's hoping that Adobe uses Acrobat XI to surprise us with something daring, bare, efficient, inventive, fast and thrilling. For now, Acrobat X is more of a General Motors minivan (and about as reliable) than it is a Corvette.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 4, 2011
Platform for Display: PC DiscVerified Purchase
I purchased this program as a publishing professional who needs to share document markups with clients so they can Comment and use a very few other tools that allow for collaboration and feedback. I thought it would be especially useful for people who are not comfortable using the Track Changes feature in Word--although most people find that program's editing tools very user-friendly. I had just purchased and installed the program and used the markup tools on a book I was working on. Since my client only has Adobe Reader, I wanted to extend the tools (to make it what Adobe calls a "Reader Extended PDF"), until I discovered that this Standard v. X does NOT include this feature. So be forewarned: if you want the "Reader Extended PDF" feature, you'll need to purchase the X Professional version. One more thing: I was on a live chat for at least an hour with an Adobe tech support person who was trying (in vain) to enable the feature on my document until--to his great surprise--he found out that the X Standard version doesn't include it. Whoops!
on February 5, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Continious runtime errors. I would not buy this yet. Crashes frequently. Last version is better. Does not recongnize office 10 products. If you wish to be an alpha tester and want to pay for this privelge then buy this. Premature release that will cause you headaches. I have the professional version.
on May 10, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
This product has a feature called "Prepare for Web Publishing." For some reason I assumed this would mean making the file smaller (makes sense, doesn't it?). I put a 26MB pdf through it, and after 35 minutes of Acrobat using up all of my computer's memory and processing power, the document finally came out the other way at 330MB. Then I closed the program, but I noticed my computer was still very slow. I opened the task manager, and there it was, Acrobat still running as a process and using up all my memory. (For this kind of money I would expect a program that at least knows how to shut itself.) And then there's the bloat, of course: 1.94GB of disk space for a glorified word processor. And then it hangs all the time. I could go on and on, but there's no point. The trial is free, so don't take my word for it: go ahead and give it a go.
Trying to charge ANY amount of money for a product like this is an insult. I gave Acrobat a try out of curiosity, but the freeware alternatives are better, faster, and more stable (and obviously cheaper), so I wouldn't buy this piece of junk even if I had more money than Bill Gates and Warren Buffett put together. Ten versions (TEN!!!) and Adobe still haven't got themselves together. How they manage to stay in business really is beyond me.
Platform for Display: PC Disc
I'm not sure why so many people are complaining that Adobe Acrobat X is worse than its predecessors. Some of the comments seem frivolous. I upgraded from Acrobat 7 and have found Acrobat X to be a much needed improvement. Here are a few features I particularly like:

1) I use OCR text recognition a lot so I can work on scanned articles. On older versions, this would bog down my computer and slow it down significantly. Now, the process is both quicker and less burdensome on the hard drive.

2) Acrobat X allows for more options with the icons. You can have a 1-click icon for OCR recognition, and rearrange them.

3) Making portfolios of documents is both easier to do and to customize. I had never bothered to learn this feature on previous versions, but since it's so easy I might just use it.

4) I like the integration with web browsers, particularly Safari. Loading a pdf in the browser gives a clear image of the document, with a toolbar near the bottom that can disappear. Downloads also seem to be quicker, although I'm not sure how much of that is due to Acrobat X.

5) Doesn't crash as often!

Overall, I'm still learning the ins and outs of the program, but so far I haven't encountered any deal-breakers. By contrast, it's running better than my previous version and is probably worth getting if you use pdfs extensively.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
The user interface is simplified but still powerful. Unfortunately, I just tried to export a huge multi-page table to XML format and it took over an hour to do this on a computer that had 16 processor cores and eight GB of memory. Examination of the Windows Task Manager told me that Acrobat is unable to take advantage of extra processor cores. Instead of having 16 threads each writing different parts of the document simultaneously, Acrobat is bottlenecked in a single thread running on a single processor.

It's simply unacceptable that a huge software conglomerate like Adobe gets away with not supporting powerful computers on the TENTH generation of their product, fully six years after multi processor workstations became commonplace commodities.

Please, Adobe, join the 21st century. Your tool is used for big processing tasks. Give your users a break.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Steve Jobs is right, Adobe is only producing FAT, Bloated software and there's no better example than Acrobat. An installation takes 10 minutes and then other software errors start popping up, like the Outlook add-in that I had to disable.
on February 26, 2011
Platform for Display: PC Disc
Needs some serious work. It is very frustrating that you can only delete a page once; if you need to delete another page, close down the program, start it up again and then press the delete button, twice, and then hold your breath. Surely the Adobe software engineers can do a better job than that.