Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Adobe Acrobat X Professional Student & Teacher Edition for Mac [Download]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on February 26, 2011
1. The excessively bureaucratic steps to prove teacher status were pure nonsense. Nobody at adobe was able to exercise judgment or common sense.
2. May be me, but my new Mac version has less capability than pc version. No way to create PDF from scanner.
on August 29, 2011
The Amazon website, box, printed materials, and installer all say there is a 30-day free trial that you can use while you are awaiting the verification process. But the free-trial is "greyed out" in the installer and according to Adobe tech support, the free trial is "only available for Windows, not Mac versions". I spent 45 minutes on phone with tech support today (disconnected 3 times) trying to get authorization to work, it didn't work. They told me to email supporting documents and "wait a week". TERRIBLE customer service from Adobe. I don't mind verifying that I'm eligible for academic discount, but they need to make the process work! And talk about bloat-ware... it takes 1.2 GB of space to install. C'mon Adobe... you can do better than this!
on January 12, 2011
I upgraded from Acrobat Pro 7 to 10 last week. I am happy with some of the new features, and I find that the application's speed (for tasks like OCRing) is much improved. The user interface of Acrobat X Pro still looks like it was created for a PC, however, or in any case not for a Mac. The user experience is extremely clunky. Also, seemingly straightforward tasks -- for example, converting a color PDF to black-and-white in order to save space -- oddly seem beyond the capacity of the program. I am somewhat surprised, in short, that skipping two versions (8 and 9) to upgrade to 10 wasn't as big a deal as I expected. Maybe I am failing to understand the technical advances of this version, but Adobe certainly hasn't helped me to see the added benefit. On the other hand, this is still my program of choice for OCR processing and other forms of PDF file manipulation, like reducing file size or managing security. I am not involved in professional document production, so many of the program's production tools are irrelevant to me. On the plus side, I am pleased that Adobe sells this lower-priced academic version of the program.
on December 25, 2010
I purchased Adobe Acrobat X Professional Student & Teacher Edition for one project that I need to do over Christmas Vacation. I went to load the software and am told to register first on Adobe's website. The registration process is the LONGEST AND MOST DIFFICULT REGISTRATION that I have ever seen for any product, including you have to scan and attach a copy of your school ID. Good luck if you don't have a scanner, or worse yet, if your school doesn't give you a photo ID.

I noticed on Adobe's website that they wanted the school ID to be within the last 120 days. How dare I stay at the same job for more than 4 months. So, I scanned both of my school IDs (I have two because I teach inside a jail), and my most recent paystub, so something was within the last 120 days, but STILL NO SERIAL NUMBER FROM ADOBE, not even an email response acknowledging my submission.

After entering the tiny print 22-digit code a few times along with my information, I finally finish registering the product (on Christmas Day), only to find out that I still can't use my software THAT I PAID FOR until Adobe reviews my information and (hopefully) emails me a serial number code two business days later.

Had I known this in the first place, I would NOT have bothered to buy this product and I would have used either MS Word or Apple Pages for the project.

************* UPDATE *****************

I did finally receive the serial number needed to unlock the program by email. It was 2 business days (plus a weekend) after I submitted my proof of eligibility. And, so far the program works quite well, but so do other less expensive programs and other programs like MS Office that most of us already have (hence free).

Considering the hassle factor, plus the over $100 price, or the alternative to buy the non-academic version for $400, I stick with my 1 Star rating.

My advice: Skip this product. Either buy a less expensive and less hassle pdf creator or just use your work processing program.

Advice to Adobe: You make a good product, but the price is way more than it should be for the non-academic version and the hassle factor for the academic version is an insult to your customers (or should I say former customers).
1515 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2011
this product is so hard to registrer and the foreign tech support makes you practically beg for the serial numer, which I still don't have, even after 2 weeks ago submitting my student status to them. Their E-Identify process is rediculous. I called the Indian or Bangladesh tech support, they were friendly but had no power to help me activate the product. I use a Macintosh, I don't know why I even bought this product since I have Mac Preview. The reason is, now I remember is the Reduce File Size function of Acrobat. But this company is so high tech/low touch that my feelings have turned to strong hatred towards Abobe. After 2 weeks I had to return the product only to get a new version in a new package so maybe I can registrer it seamlessly this time. Wish me luck or send me a serial number that works!! dale.dreher@sbcglobal.net
on September 7, 2011
The online tutorial for the product is well. The Student and Teacher Edition requires you to show a proof of being a student/faculty. It is the same version as non-Student and Teacher Edition except you save money. Adobe says you should have student ID, transcript, school statement, or ... but all you need is your .edu e-mail account when you're verifying your copy online. Adobe verified my copy right away, and they e-mailed me my serial number right then. Another note to remember is that Amazon allows you to purchase only one copy per platform (Windows or Mac).

The program itself is pretty good; I use it to fill-out academic forms all the time. I've also used Acrobat to produce forms for a student organization I coordinated. There are a few features that I never used (ex. live conference), so I have no farther comments.

I give it 4 stars because it still needs to be optimized for MacOS X Lion, so no fullscreen views yet. I heard a rumor that Adobe will soon push a free update for Acrobat, which optimizes it for MacOS X Lion.
on August 19, 2012
I LOVE ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL FOR WINDOWS, BUT I NEED IT FOR A MAC. AMAZON BUYERS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE REQUIREMENTS FOR USE AND PUT IT IN THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION. THE NOTE ABOUT STUDENT ELIGIBILITY DOES NOT GIVE FULL DISCLOSURE FOR EVERYONE WHO DOES THIS THE 1ST TIME.

BEWARE. IF YOU HAVE A MAC AND YOU WANT TO BUY THIS SOFTWARE, DON'T DO IT UNLESS YOU GET THE SOFTWARE ON A WEEKDAY AND CAN CALL ADOBE CUSTOMER OR TECHNICAL SERVICE. OR BETTER YET, FIND OUT HOW TO BE SCREENED AHEAD OF TIME.

YOU NEED TO REGISTER THE SOFTWARE TO USE IT, THE THE PRODUCT CODE DOES NOT WORK.

YOU DO NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO USE THE TRIAL VERSION FOR 30 DAYS.

YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ADOBE WEBSITE TO VALIDATE ELIGIBILITY, BUT DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE BOX BECAUSE THE WEB ADDRESS ON THE YELLOW PAMPHLET IS WRONG.

FYI, I FOUND THE ADDRESS USING GOOGLE. YOU NEED TO REGISTER FOR AN ADOBE LOGIN, AND YOU NEED TO SUBMIT INFORMATION TO VERIFY YOUR STATUS. THEY DO NOT GUARANTEE WHEN THEY WILL GET BACK TO YOU.

THIS IS A RIDICULOUS ADOBE POLICY.

IF YOU HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT, YOU MUST BUY THIS SOFTWARE WELL BEFORE YOU NEED TO USE IT!!

PLUS, YOU PAY AMAZON FOR THIS SOFTWARE RIGHT AWAY, BUT YOU DON'T GET TO USE.
on December 1, 2011
This will not work unless you are a student. This was sent as a used product and is illegal to use as you must fill out a contract (as the first purchaser) saying you will not sell it. What a waste, I never got around to getting adobe and still use read iris now.
on September 14, 2011
Program was purchased to do OCR converting from PDF documents. We've converted many picture based pdfs to words and it has worked fast and simple! We haven't experienced any crashing with the product yet.
on June 15, 2012
If you find yourself scanning lots of library books, and then frustrated because you cannot highlight text (assuming they were not scanned on a machine with good software), Adobe is well worth the price. I am a historian, so I scan books (19th-21st centuries) and also take lots of digital images. For tiff files and jpegs this is great! If you took two shots of something and later want to delete pages, it is easy to do in this, and then you can create your own pdf files from the single images. I have only had this a few days, but the first time that I ran the text recognition and was able to highlight text from a large google document, and then later several chapters from a book that I scanned I knew that this was well worth the money.