on February 26, 2011
1. The excessively bureaucratic steps to prove teacher status were pure nonsense. Nobody at adobe was able to exercise judgment or common sense.
2. May be me, but my new Mac version has less capability than pc version. No way to create PDF from scanner.
on January 12, 2011
I upgraded from Acrobat Pro 7 to 10 last week. I am happy with some of the new features, and I find that the application's speed (for tasks like OCRing) is much improved. The user interface of Acrobat X Pro still looks like it was created for a PC, however, or in any case not for a Mac. The user experience is extremely clunky. Also, seemingly straightforward tasks -- for example, converting a color PDF to black-and-white in order to save space -- oddly seem beyond the capacity of the program. I am somewhat surprised, in short, that skipping two versions (8 and 9) to upgrade to 10 wasn't as big a deal as I expected. Maybe I am failing to understand the technical advances of this version, but Adobe certainly hasn't helped me to see the added benefit. On the other hand, this is still my program of choice for OCR processing and other forms of PDF file manipulation, like reducing file size or managing security. I am not involved in professional document production, so many of the program's production tools are irrelevant to me. On the plus side, I am pleased that Adobe sells this lower-priced academic version of the program.
on December 26, 2010
I purchased Adobe Acrobat X Professional Student & Teacher Edition for one project that I need to do over Christmas Vacation. I went to load the software and am told to register first on Adobe's website. The registration process is the LONGEST AND MOST DIFFICULT REGISTRATION that I have ever seen for any product, including you have to scan and attach a copy of your school ID. Good luck if you don't have a scanner, or worse yet, if your school doesn't give you a photo ID.

I noticed on Adobe's website that they wanted the school ID to be within the last 120 days. How dare I stay at the same job for more than 4 months. So, I scanned both of my school IDs (I have two because I teach inside a jail), and my most recent paystub, so something was within the last 120 days, but STILL NO SERIAL NUMBER FROM ADOBE, not even an email response acknowledging my submission.

After entering the tiny print 22-digit code a few times along with my information, I finally finish registering the product (on Christmas Day), only to find out that I still can't use my software THAT I PAID FOR until Adobe reviews my information and (hopefully) emails me a serial number code two business days later.

Had I known this in the first place, I would NOT have bothered to buy this product and I would have used either MS Word or Apple Pages for the project.

************* UPDATE *****************

I did finally receive the serial number needed to unlock the program by email. It was 2 business days (plus a weekend) after I submitted my proof of eligibility. And, so far the program works quite well, but so do other less expensive programs and other programs like MS Office that most of us already have (hence free).

Considering the hassle factor, plus the over $100 price, or the alternative to buy the non-academic version for $400, I stick with my 1 Star rating.

My advice: Skip this product. Either buy a less expensive and less hassle pdf creator or just use your work processing program.

Advice to Adobe: You make a good product, but the price is way more than it should be for the non-academic version and the hassle factor for the academic version is an insult to your customers (or should I say former customers).
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2011
The Amazon website, box, printed materials, and installer all say there is a 30-day free trial that you can use while you are awaiting the verification process. But the free-trial is "greyed out" in the installer and according to Adobe tech support, the free trial is "only available for Windows, not Mac versions". I spent 45 minutes on phone with tech support today (disconnected 3 times) trying to get authorization to work, it didn't work. They told me to email supporting documents and "wait a week". TERRIBLE customer service from Adobe. I don't mind verifying that I'm eligible for academic discount, but they need to make the process work! And talk about bloat-ware... it takes 1.2 GB of space to install. C'mon Adobe... you can do better than this!
on September 7, 2011
this product is so hard to registrer and the foreign tech support makes you practically beg for the serial numer, which I still don't have, even after 2 weeks ago submitting my student status to them. Their E-Identify process is rediculous. I called the Indian or Bangladesh tech support, they were friendly but had no power to help me activate the product. I use a Macintosh, I don't know why I even bought this product since I have Mac Preview. The reason is, now I remember is the Reduce File Size function of Acrobat. But this company is so high tech/low touch that my feelings have turned to strong hatred towards Abobe. After 2 weeks I had to return the product only to get a new version in a new package so maybe I can registrer it seamlessly this time. Wish me luck or send me a serial number that works!! dale.dreher@sbcglobal.net
on September 8, 2011
The online tutorial for the product is well. The Student and Teacher Edition requires you to show a proof of being a student/faculty. It is the same version as non-Student and Teacher Edition except you save money. Adobe says you should have student ID, transcript, school statement, or ... but all you need is your .edu e-mail account when you're verifying your copy online. Adobe verified my copy right away, and they e-mailed me my serial number right then. Another note to remember is that Amazon allows you to purchase only one copy per platform (Windows or Mac).

The program itself is pretty good; I use it to fill-out academic forms all the time. I've also used Acrobat to produce forms for a student organization I coordinated. There are a few features that I never used (ex. live conference), so I have no farther comments.

I give it 4 stars because it still needs to be optimized for MacOS X Lion, so no fullscreen views yet. I heard a rumor that Adobe will soon push a free update for Acrobat, which optimizes it for MacOS X Lion.
on December 2, 2011
This will not work unless you are a student. This was sent as a used product and is illegal to use as you must fill out a contract (as the first purchaser) saying you will not sell it. What a waste, I never got around to getting adobe and still use read iris now.
on January 7, 2011
Verification is never fun, but I really believe Adobe's verification process is as easy as it could possibly be.

Please consider the one-star review of a previous reviewer (John M. Wells). The information he provides is false.

When opening the software box, it is difficult to miss a folded instruction card that reads the following:

"STOP: To use this product beyond the 30-day trial period, you must validate your eligibility using the fulfillment process below and the following product code."

This notice of a '30-day trial' is again stated in the very next paragraph. So it's very likely that he knew he could have used Acrobat in 'trial' mode.

I hope Mr. Well's review does not deter you from purchasing Adobe's excellent software.

*** On a more positive note...

I recently purchased the Student and Teacher Editions (academic versions) of Adobe Dreamweaver CS5, Photoshop CS5 Extended and Acrobat X Professional.

Adobe has 30-day trial versions on most of their software.

For anyone intending on purchasing academic software from Adobe, I suggest they first try out the 30-day trial version, and then if still interested, sign up for an Adobe account. It makes things much easier during the verification stage by having your account already set up.

The entire verification process is very easy and it helps to have your scanned ID or any additional paperwork ready ahead of time. I received all three activation serial numbers in less than 24 hours. Adobe says that it could take up to two business days for verification.

The following might be some helpful information:

Adobe allows you to install and activate your purchased software onto two computers. I have the above-mentioned software installed and activated on two computers on a home network. I am able to 'run' Dreamweaver, Photoshop or Acrobat on both computers at the same time without any licensing problems.

To install and activate your Adobe software on a third computer, you must first 'de-activate' the software on one of the other two computers. Make sure if you ever throw out or give away an old computer, that you first de-activate the Adobe software. Otherwise, you will lose one of your two activations.

After installing and activating, you can then register your software and receive a free gift from Adobe. The gifts vary for each software title. Some of the gifts are AdobeTextPro Font, Photoshop plugins, discounts on Adobe software and 30-day access to training videos on either Lynda.com or CreativeEdge.com. Lynda.com has an amazing amount of training videos. You may want to check out these two websites before registering so you have time to evaluate them.

Concerning future upgrades of Adobe academic software, here is a quote from Adobe's website:

"Upgrades don't have special education pricing. However, you can purchase upgrades for educational products at the regular upgrade prices from any Authorized Education Reseller."

So according to Adobe, you can upgrade your academic software for their standard (non-academic) software if or when you no longer have student or teacher status. That is a really good deal! Many software companies won't allow you to upgrade academic software.

If you are not a student or teacher and you want to purchase academic software, you may want to consider signing up for an interesting class at your local community college. You could then get your student ID and your student status. You don't need to be a full-time student and you don't need to be seeking a degree. Maybe you can find a convenient on-line class. You can then go to a website like JourneyEd and be eligible to purchase all kinds of academic software and hardware.

Also, Microsoft has a program called DreamSpark that allows students to download full-versions of their software for free. You need to first sign up for a Windows Live ID and then sign in and get verified on the Microsoft DreamSpark website. Microsoft uses your college-issued '.edu' email address for verification. During the verification process Microsoft sends an activation email to your .edu email address. You must log in to your .edu email account and click on an activation link within the activation email. My verification didn't go very smoothly as my college had blacklisted Microsoft's mail servers and wouldn't allow me to receive the activation email from DreamSpark. I was eventually verified 'manually' by Microsoft tech support. I had to email them a copy of my scanned school ID and a copy of my class schedule.

After you are verified, Microsoft will verify your student status once a year. You can download all of the software that they have available on their DreamSpark.com website. There are no time limits on the software. You can continue to use their software after your student status expires. After being recently verified, I downloaded the full version of MS Visual Studio 2010 Professional, another very expensive program that was completely free.

With that valuable student ID, you really can save many hundreds of dollars on academic software, hardware and training!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 15, 2012
If you find yourself scanning lots of library books, and then frustrated because you cannot highlight text (assuming they were not scanned on a machine with good software), Adobe is well worth the price. I am a historian, so I scan books (19th-21st centuries) and also take lots of digital images. For tiff files and jpegs this is great! If you took two shots of something and later want to delete pages, it is easy to do in this, and then you can create your own pdf files from the single images. I have only had this a few days, but the first time that I ran the text recognition and was able to highlight text from a large google document, and then later several chapters from a book that I scanned I knew that this was well worth the money.
on September 14, 2011
Program was purchased to do OCR converting from PDF documents. We've converted many picture based pdfs to words and it has worked fast and simple! We haven't experienced any crashing with the product yet.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations