4.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you already are familar with the program
This is one of those books that can be very useful for some readers and over the heads of others. I had a little (very little) knowledge of HTML, nothing of CSS and some experience with amateur-level web design programs when I got this book.
Published on December 26, 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, not for a beginner
Published on January 12, 2009 by JewelryCollector

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book if you already are familar with the program, December 26, 2008
Amazon Customer (Sunny and not-so-sunny California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
While the lessons were well-planned and informative, they did not feature the depth of information that a beginner like me needed. I learned features and techniques but not what made them work. Also, many of the more basic program features are vaguely mentioned in passing. Other information was simply over my head as a newcomer to the program.

I can see that this book would be extremely valuable to someone who has used Dreamweaver before and wants to get up to date on the latest changes in the program. I think that someone with HTML and CSS experience under his or her belt could also get a lot of good information.

As for me, I bought Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML and Dreamweaver CS4 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)). The former filled some gaps in my coding knowledge and the latter provided a rather thorough tour through the program designed with the newbie in mind. (It should be noted that knowing how to code is not essential for using Dreamweaver but it sure makes things easier.) Once I finish these titles, I will probably return to Classroom in a Book.

This title is good for: People with HTML and CSS experience or with Dreamweaver experience.

This title is not good for: Complete newcomers to web design. Try one of the books listed above instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, not for a beginner, January 12, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
This book teaches a lot, but if you are coming into dreamweaver with no background in web design, or dreamweaver's specific tools, it is very hard to use. He teaches you HOW to use things but not WHY and what they are. Its very hard to apply the lessons elsewhere. On the other hand, I used the CS4 Dummies book which explained why of everything, and then went back into this book to go further.

3.0 out of 5 stars Assumes too much knowledge for begginer, January 5, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I have a background in design for print and thought it was time to venture out and learn web design. I purchased Dreamweaver CS4 and was ready to go! I excitedly opened this book, anticipating some great revelation to the secrets of Dreamweaver CS4, CSS and HTML. I am very disappointed. I can easily follow along the book and click the buttons requested. But there is little or no explanation as to why. If you are looking for a book to tell you to "click here, change this, click OK" then you have it. If you want a book that tells you why you are doing each step, or a book that explains CSS or HTML this is not it! Look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless to the beginner, December 13, 2009
Calli L. (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I want very much to learn Dreamweaver CS4 but have no experience with web-building software and only slight knowledge of html. Classes are expensive and I decided to try using this "Classroom in a Book" instead. I'm finding it utterly frustrating. The authors provide step-by-step instructions for recreating the web pages in the lessons. While the instructions are possible (not easy, but possible) to follow, there are no definitions of terms, no explanations of the many intricate choices the authors instruct you to make. Just "click this" and "choose that". It's hard even to find all the "panes", "panels", "bars", and "tags" they refer to, much less to learn what they are or what they're for. I don't truly understand a thing I've done so far despite reading the chapters over and over. I doubt that I'll retain the information, or be able to apply it to what I want to do. If only the book had been labelled "advanced" or even "intemediate" rather than "the fastest, easiest, most comprehensive way to learn Adobe Dreamweaver CS4"! I'm extremely sorry I bought this expensive and unhelpful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick way to learn how to use the new features, January 5, 2009
C. Thien (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I have used Dreamweaver a LOT since version 3, and I always love to have the newest version. For the last few releases, Adobe/Macromedia have worked hard to keep a consistent UI, so it has been necessary to find out what is new and how to best use it from some other source. I prefer books to online tutorials, as I look at the screen too many hours a day already, and find reading to be relaxing.

I use Dreamweaver exclusively in the code view, and love the code completion and find and replace features. This book helped me find out about the new split code feature, which allows you to see different parts of the same file simultaneously, a feature I have always been jealous of Emacs and Vim users for. This version also incorporates Subversion, which is a HUGE improvement (sadly, version control is not covered in this book). Previously you would have to use Eclipse if you wanted source control in your editor.

I particularly liked the Spry coverage. I prefer jQuery, but Spry is great for someone sticking to the design view of Dreamweaver who wants to add modern js to their screens. I also liked the Photoshop Smart Objects coverage, and the fact that all the layouts they cover are CSS based, even the forms.

As usual in a cover-it-all intro book, I have some issues, such as the authors not pushing you to use the title attribute in your links, but all in all, I think this is a really useful book that can appeal to many different level Dreamweaver users. At 270 pages it is nice and thin too - a quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent step by step instructions with a well-defined - if limited - scope, August 30, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I found this to be the best step-by-step tutorial introduction I've ever used. The book is extremely precise and clear on what to do, step by step. It shows expected results. It takes nothing for granted. The associated files let you do each lesson "stand alone". So while all the lessons take you through the construction of a single (simplistic) travel agency website, you aren't "stuck" if you don't finish a lesson or you messed up a prior lesson. They even include "finished" files to show you what your work will look like when properly completed.

When things went "wrong" and I didn't get the result shown I could always go back and find the error - and invariably it would be mine. I find introductory tutorials that have subtle mistakes, or are half a version behind the product VERY frustrating, so I really appreciated the attention to detail in this book. I usually fill the margins of training books with errors and edits of unclear sentences. I found less than a dozen unclear places in this book - and several were simply where they gave only the MAC menu choice ("choose") rather than also including the Windows "OK" command.

I have virtually NO current experience with HTML, though in the past I've done serious C programming. I agree with another reviewer - you don't need to be a coder to use DreamWeaver, but it sure helps. Dreamweaver is a tool that generates code. There is a VERY complex set of dependencies between .CSS .HTML and .JS files in various directories to make a site work. Dreamweaver lets you flip between designer view and code view - and this book even lightly introduces you to that world. In a week, this book got me started using Dreamweaver well enough to build two web sites from scratch. HOWEVER, this book alone was not enough to do everything I wanted on those sites. Once this book had given me a mental model of how Dreamweaver works, I switched over to using "Dreamweaver CS4 - The Missing Manual" (McFarland). I've found that to be the perfect companion for serious work.

Full disclosure - I finished the entire CIB book (11 lessons) in 8 days, spending about 3 to 4 hours per day. About 3/4 of the way through the CIB lessons I started using the "Missing Manual" book to read more about threads of special interest to me - like preparing photos for web use. However I never needed to use outside resources to figure out what CIB was trying to teach.

The Classroom In a Book is VERY basic in what it covers. It does NOT wander off into details about anything - this meant I could actually complete the book in a reasonable time and get a broad view. If I could change one thing, it would be to add about 5 chapters. It would be extremely valuable to go back over the site created and "tune" it, adding features and making it more real-world, including things like nesting <div>s, integrating graphics, formatting tables, creating page layout using CSS, and perhaps even setting up formmail. These lessons would help complete and cement one's understanding of how you use the Dreamweaver toolset to build real websites.

This book will NOT make you a web guru, or even fully qualified to build a real-world site. But you have to start somewhere, and I found this book to be the IDEAL starting point. If I ever write another users training manual, I will use this one as a model.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adobe Dreamweaver, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
The Classroom in a Book Series by adobe has been very helpful over the years, but I can never get over how many mistakes each book contains.
For example there will be an instruction to add a link on a page and the link has already been completed. I wish the Adobe people would check out these books more carefully.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless for beginners, December 24, 2009
Axel Ebermann (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I am a tech-savy media pro. I know photoshop, Final Cut, After Effects etc.. So I have a certain understanding of media software.
I was pretty happy with all the other "Classrom in a Book' books that I got. This one is way over a beginner's head.
It basically does not explain WHY anything is done leaving me completely frustrated.

heading out to find some better literature right now..

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Approach & Not for Simpler sites, February 10, 2010
Dollfocus (Papillion, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
This is one of the worst books I have used from Adobe Classroom series.
The first Lesson is a page from a site they have pre-built, working in CSS. This book assumes you know CSS.
I hoped to get familiar with setting up a basic site in Dreamweaver CS4. (Index page, adding pages, images, links, and publishing)
You do not get that kind of instruction in this book.

In this book you start by making CSS rules and editing them on your first page. There is no explanation as to "why" you do rules...or how these rules apply to my pages in a site AFTER this page is done. I have no idea if I HAVE to do rules ...I am lost on that whole concept.

The lesson is step by step.... Open this menu...click this or click on that...then save. NEVER explains how you would assemble your OWN page.

I have designed in HTML and I have worked in Both Expression Web and GoLive.
But So far, In DW CS4 I am not able to see what I need and what I don't, and how to do just what I need to do in this program.

It's a pretty useless book, once you are done with the lessons here, you still have no idea where to start on your own and this book is not a reference.

I am going to go get the Missing Manual that everyone seems to Hail as the Book to have.
Hopefully, that will help me get started. But honestedly, it looks like it will take awhile to get a handle on this program and get a site up and running. I do not recommend this book if you do not know Dreamweaver.

Maybe after I know the program alot better I'll feel different....but if I don't, I am going back to my older web programs. I am not sure this is a great web design program for the average user just making a simpler website.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for web designers, March 25, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I actually like the book for having very easy to follow instructions and step by step guides. However, as mentioned by other reviewers, it doesn't really go into WHY. On another note, this is absolutely for people who've no experience with CSS or HTML. If you do already have experience, this book will be frustratingly simple. The tutorials only help you with specific tasks that may or may not be what you are looking for. Also, this book barely touches the surface of what Dreamweaver CS4 has to offer as well as the fact that the sites that you'll create are just UGLY. No one would want to see one of these sites represent their business or personal agenda. I'm still looking for aesthetics as much as the basics as well as a more intermediate to advanced book...any recommendations?

Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Creative Team (Paperback - November 13, 2008)
$54.99 $30.15