Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on December 26, 2008
This is one of those books that can be very useful for some readers and over the heads of others. I had a little (very little) knowledge of HTML, nothing of CSS and some experience with amateur-level web design programs when I got this book.
While the lessons were well-planned and informative, they did not feature the depth of information that a beginner like me needed. I learned features and techniques but not what made them work. Also, many of the more basic program features are vaguely mentioned in passing. Other information was simply over my head as a newcomer to the program.

I can see that this book would be extremely valuable to someone who has used Dreamweaver before and wants to get up to date on the latest changes in the program. I think that someone with HTML and CSS experience under his or her belt could also get a lot of good information.

As for me, I bought Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML and Dreamweaver CS4 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)). The former filled some gaps in my coding knowledge and the latter provided a rather thorough tour through the program designed with the newbie in mind. (It should be noted that knowing how to code is not essential for using Dreamweaver but it sure makes things easier.) Once I finish these titles, I will probably return to Classroom in a Book.

This title is good for: People with HTML and CSS experience or with Dreamweaver experience.

This title is not good for: Complete newcomers to web design. Try one of the books listed above instead.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2009
I've enjoyed Scott Kelby's books and other Photoshop books in the past and was looking forward to this book. I made it through the first four lessons without too much problem only because I've been using Photoshop for quite some time.

But Lesson Five makes very little sense to me. I don't get the point.

This is what happens when a group of people write a book. It's a mess. They keep getting the cart before the horse. For example, the first lesson requires making a selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool. Then, in Lesson three, the reader will find an explanation of how to make a selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool.

Another example is in lesson three. It requires renaming a layer, but the explanation for how to rename a layer doesn't come until lesson four.

I knew how to use the Elliptical Marquee Tool and I knew how to rename a layer, so no problem for me. But how many more carts are before the horses? I'm afraid this book will only increase my frustration level with Photoshop, not diminish it.

I would not recommend this book to a beginner for certain and not even to someone with Photoshop experience. It was not worth the money paid and I wish I had not bought it.
33 comments|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2009
This book teaches a lot, but if you are coming into dreamweaver with no background in web design, or dreamweaver's specific tools, it is very hard to use. He teaches you HOW to use things but not WHY and what they are. Its very hard to apply the lessons elsewhere. On the other hand, I used the CS4 Dummies book which explained why of everything, and then went back into this book to go further.
on December 28, 2008
I ordered this book with my cs4 software knowing that the Photoshop team who put this book together always know how to get accross to even the most struggling student, which refers to me quite well. The book comes with a disc containing the lessons you should use to follow along while learning how to use every tool Photoshop CS4 has to offer. I'm so glad I purchased this book. I take a lesson at a time in the evenings. I find it helpful to repeat a lesson as soon as I finish to make sure the information I learned comes easier as the instructions progress. The instructors made it so you're using previously learned tools and methods in each lesson. This makes it easier to remember what you've learned.
on November 25, 2009
This text was selected by my instructor for a Web Graphics class and this has been a diappointment to both the instructor and the class. The text provides step-by-step instructions on how to complete tasks but without providing the reader an understanding of why the steps are taken or how why settings have been selected for various menus.

As an example, in Chap 5 on Masks and Channels, concepts such as gray-scale channels, quick masks and alpha channels are introduced but without providing a understanding of the concepts and how they are related. Menu settings are offered on menus such as 'Refine Mask,' 'Filters,' 'Refine Edge,' and 'Layer Styles' but without understanding what those settings are and how they affect the image. I found myself screen printing the menus and then going out to the internet to find out what those settings mean.

Finally, it does not outline a workflow on editing and creating images, one of the most basic skills that Photoshop users need to acquire.

I would not recommend this book.
on October 15, 2009
This product isn't so much a tutorial on what things are and how they work, but a step by step project book. While each project so far has been short and simple, there really isn't much explanation of WHAT I'm doing.
Its possible that understanding will come with time, but so far it is all click this, point here, click that and you're done!

So its good if you just need to dive in and get over using a new program. Its not so good if you have questions about why this over that.
on February 14, 2009
I purchased this book in order to get more insight on all the features of Flash Professional. I wasn't disappointed. I thought the chapters were well organized. And everything worked the way the book said it would. Just follow the directions and you should do well.

Once you finish this book, get a copy of Action Script 3.0 for Adobe Flash CS4 Professional Classroom in a Book.
on July 26, 2009
I'm using the Adobe Flash CS4 Classroom in a Book to learn Flash CS4 from scratch. The lessons are very good and very helpful, but I gave it a 4 / 5 because it is riddled with errors that should have been caught during editing. I don't mean proofreading errors, but rather substantive errors that a copy editor who is reading for understanding should be able to catch. It sometimes makes things a bit more confusing, but I've been able to understand what was meant, so not a big problem.

I like that the lessons are all explained through very helpful full color screenshots, so as a guide, I do recommend this book very much, but just hope that in the future Adobe works harder on the editing aspect of their text publishing.
on June 24, 2009
I aquired Photoshop as a hobbyist and this was the third book I bought trying to figure out what I could do with the software. Other books define what each feature does and how to access it, but Classroom in a Book puts the features into context. I learned the software as well as some basic graphic design and photography skills. Before you spend money and time on a class on Photoshop, try this book!
on January 5, 2009
I have a background in design for print and thought it was time to venture out and learn web design. I purchased Dreamweaver CS4 and was ready to go! I excitedly opened this book, anticipating some great revelation to the secrets of Dreamweaver CS4, CSS and HTML. I am very disappointed. I can easily follow along the book and click the buttons requested. But there is little or no explanation as to why. If you are looking for a book to tell you to "click here, change this, click OK" then you have it. If you want a book that tells you why you are doing each step, or a book that explains CSS or HTML this is not it! Look elsewhere.