5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide!
Published on May 21, 2009 by A. Levak

2.0 out of 5 stars A very basic guide for novices
Take all the 5-star reviews with a grain of salt; anyone else notice how they read like sparkling advertisements and frequently fawn over the author? Or that they're all spelled/punctuated perfectly, and written by folks with no other reviews to their names? Just sayin!

Published on November 21, 2009 by J. Conroy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A very basic guide for novices, November 21, 2009
J. Conroy (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques (Paperback)

Honestly, this is a decent reference for total novices. I'd suggest Adobe's Classroom In A Book for learning Dreamweaver from the ground up. Most of this info is super-easy to find online, and for free. That said, you can hardly argue with the price (as many of the previous "reviews" point out). For $13 you won't be kicking yourself, but you might roll your eyes at how rudimentary a lot of this info is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable guide!, May 21, 2009
A. Levak (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
As a visual person with common sense but not a lot of tech background, this book has been invaluable in building my website! I consistently find all the information I need to know, without being overwhelmed. The language is easy to understand and technical terms are always clearly explained. The screenshots and other visual references guide me through each step. And the sidebar information panels answer questions before I even begin to ask them. This book transforms Dreamweaver from a challenge into a tool I can use to actually produce my own website!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, Easy to Read 'How To' Book, May 23, 2009
I have a three week job redesigning a website this summer and the program the office uses to create their sites is Dreamweaver. As I have never used this program before, I needed a book that would answer all of my little questions about Dreamweaver's specifics. The book did just that and designing the site was a breeze. Also a good buy at $13.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference guide!, May 14, 2009
This book offers an exceptionally helpful step-by-step guide to the essentials of Dreamweaver; complete with supplemental diagrams, reference points, & screenshots. It's also clear, concise, & to the point when walking you through each technique! The visuals that accompany the instructions have proven especially helpful to me, as mere instructions can often be confusing for a visual learner such as myself.

From the novice or amateur designer, to the more advanced Dreamweaver user looking to refresh, update, or expand their skills & knowledge of the CS4 software; this book is a great addition to one's toolbox!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Organization, September 30, 2009
I have Mr. Karlin's CS3 version of this book and will be upgrading myself to CS4, but I can say that unless something has seriously changed in the new release, this is a very useful guide that you will want to keep in arms reach.

I found this to be a very well-written and organized resource that allowed me to find exactly what I needed. Even better, if what I was looking for wasn't in the book, I was able to determine that quickly as well, which is just as important to me so I don't waste my time flipping through hoping to find what I need. Don't get me wrong though, most of what anyone needs to be a successful user of Dreamweaver IS IN THIS BOOK! I am a big fan of the "Visual Quickstart Guide" series of books because it is easy to grab, look for your topic, and find what you need. Mr. Karlins does an EVEN BETTER job as this "How-To's" series of books is an even quicker resource.

You won't find everything you need in here, and you will probabaly see some things you knew, but you will DEFINITELY find enough of those "a-ha" moments to make the book well worth the investment. If you are an upgrading Dreamweaver user, or just a casual user who doesn't dream in code, this is a perfect book for you. Quick topic finds, well-written layman's english, and spot-on techniques.

Well done David!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Biik, August 27, 2009
The Book is easy to read and follow, and really well written.
From all the "create your website" book I read.. this one is definitally the most straight forward, easy and to the point
I recommend to everyone willing to learn dreamweaver !

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, September 8, 2009
I know InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, but I just hadn't broken through with Dreamweaver until I got this book. I had even watched some of the Lynda training videos, but found them too plodding to stick with. This book allowed me to go at my own pace, and it builds an understanding of Dreamweaver in a very sensible order, with clear explanations, diagrams, and margin tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide For People New To Dreamweaver!, August 14, 2009
M. Lara (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
I have never used Dreamweaver before and I found this book extremely helpful. It is well-written and easy to understand, even for novices. I have looked at other books before and I have even tried to learn Dreamweaver from videos on YouTube but this book has helped me more than any of those other guides. It gives you all the techniques you need to build a really amazing website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight Forward Web Design - No Code Knowledge Necessary, February 18, 2010
After 6 years as a print designer, I was dreading the move to web. This is the third Dreamweaver book I've owned and the only one that hasn't given me a headache.

David Karlins blunt step by step instructions showed me what I needed to know without the headache. The instructions in this book showed me all the options I have when creating a website. From tables to AP Divs, this book laid out my options along with side notes that explained why or why not this method might have an issue.

I have ZERO code knowledge, and although it may be helpful for web design, this book allowed me to take my print design experience and methods and turn them into a website that not only looks nice, but functions flawlessly.

I highly suggest this book, along with the resources available on David Karlins website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for busy people., January 28, 2010
Before getting this book I didn't know squat about website building and I assumed it had to be pretty difficult and time consuming. But already after the first chapter I got hooked.
The author leads you through Dreamweaver in a very easy to follow, pleasant and quick way. In no time I understood the principles behind the program and I was able to post a few test pages on the internet.
This book gave me exactly what I was looking for: information, confidence and motivation.
If you want to get a solid grip on Dreamweaver and don't have time (and money) to waste, this book's for you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques
Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 How-Tos: 100 Essential Techniques by David Karlins (Paperback - November 8, 2008)
$24.99 $16.98