5.0 out of 5 stars Enormously powerful and a significant upgrade-- but do you need it?
A note: Please don't downvote this because you don't like Adobe's prices. I didn't set them, but I did spend a long time writing this to help you decide if it's worth it.

---

My intent here is less to review Photoshop than to provide context for why a photographer might want it. I've used Photoshop since version 4 for photography, retouching, and...
Published 10 months ago by D. Alexander

Published 6 months ago by Theropod-X

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Stop paying the monthly fee and you can't even open your files, January 21, 2014
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CC [Digital Membership] (Software Download)
Purchasing any product in the CC collection (like Photoshop CC) means you are essentially "renting" the software. If you ever stop paying for it, you have 30 days to convert your work to some other format that can be opened in another program, because after those 30 days you will never again be able to open Photoshop--even to access the files you created while you were subscribed.

This is breaking new ground for software, and not in a good way. I can understand a subscription plan to a point, but in doing it this way, you are effectively "subscribing" to access your own creative work and not just the software. Quit paying the fee, and you lose access (ultimately) to your work and not just the software.

In my opinion, this is a slap in the face of the consumer. There are defenders of CC out there, but really it's hard to say why Adobe could be benefiting users who create hundreds of images with photoshop and then for any number of reasons (loss of job, change of career) can't or don't continue their subscription after several years. Tough luck: Either spend hours converting to another platform, or they lose access to their hard work. There are other comparable formats (photo-paint to name one), but "converting" across platforms like this in many cases will mean totally rebuilding the file layer by layer. So not really a good option if you've built up years of files...and a waste of time if you just want to be able go back and access a file if you need it. Convert them all, subscribe again, or lose access.

Adobe has lost this long-time customer for good.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a joke..., February 18, 2014
I went here thinking of purchasing an upgrade over my current CS5 and was surprised to notice both here and on the Adobe page that you can ONLY now buy this product as a monthly membership and not as stand alone software in a box. I'm sure it's a good program but I am NOT going to pay a $20.00 membership fee per month to access a program I used to be bale to pay $200 for an upgrade and have forever.

I have no problem with Adobe offering it at a $20.00/fee per month for someone who only needs it temporarily -- that seems like a good way for a revenue stream -- but they should still have the option for you to buy the actual software and OWN IT, as they had for years. I suppose this is way they can avoid the pirating of it or sharing of it between multiple people, but bad solution. Maybe they'll go back to that but renting software? No thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pay for ever, January 3, 2014
I have been using photoshop for years. The original price was steep but since older versions work fine for my needs, I have no reason to upgrade. I have only done so a couple of times over the past decade. Well, Adobe just assured that I will never upgrade again because they want to charge you forever. Great deal for them, not for the customer.

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, April 6, 2014
Adobe Photoshop Creative Cloud is *not* an upgrade to Photoshop CS6. It's an entirely different model of software in which you are permanently beholden to Adobe, required to pay on an ongoing basis in order to continue to have the ability to open content that you created—content that you own. I understand why Adobe likes this model—it brings in more money per customer, at least from the customers who haven't already dumped their products in favor of Pixelmator and other competitors—but it's a lose-lose for consumers.

The only people who don't pay more are corporate customers who upgraded every release cycle. Everybody else typically pays more. Worse, there's no guarantee that the rates won't change. Just wait for a few releases. As soon as enough folks have enough files that depend on the new features added in Creative Cloud releases, you can bet good money that Adobe will jack up the rental price, because at that point, people will have no choice but to pay whatever Adobe demands, or else they'll lose the ability to open all of their files. Would you pay $50 a month for Photoshop? $200 a month? You will. It is only a question of how long Adobe will wait between feeding us the "bait" and pulling the "switch".

That's why anyone with the slightest bit of common sense should absolutely refuse to rent software under all circumstances. If we, the creative community, allow extortionware like Creative Cloud to be successful on a large scale, it will have catastrophic implications for the future of software as we know it, and sadly, I'm not being hyperbolic here. Imagine if every app were extortionware, where if you didn't pay the company huge sums of money, they would shut off your right to access the files you created. I, for one, don't want to live in a world where such abuse is the norm. Yet that's where Adobe is headed.

Just say no to Creative Cloud. It is the only way to protect the very future of computing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ditto to all the criticism everyone is saying about moving to subscription..., March 4, 2014
But I just wanted to add one point for people that primarily do work in web design and interface design. There are many great solutions out there that best Photoshop in almost every area. Bohemian Coding's new app Sketch is one serious competitor to Photoshop these days. One of the apps main advantages is that it focuses entirely on web and interface design so you don't have to drudge through all of Photoshops bloat to be able to find the features that you are looking for. This is the way that it always should have worked but Adobe axed several applications that have worked this way (this last year they killed the once great Fireworks and a number of years earlier they discontinued ImageReady.)

Tools are incredibly easy to find in Sketch, no digging through endlessly long menus with endlessly long submenus. The features that you see in Sketch for $80 are roughly the same ones you will see in Photoshop with many features debuting in Sketch first. This is one of those rare products that is both vastly better and vastly cheaper then the competition. I encourage you to search feature comparisons between Photoshop and Sketch. You might find that you will be perfectly happy with an older subscription free version of Photoshop (such as CS6) and then just let Sketch handle all the new web design features. A major upgrade to Sketch has been teased as of 3/22/14 so expect Sketch's few short comings to get ironed out very quickly.

UPDATE: I have been using the new version 3 of Sketch for several weeks now and it is awesome! Version 2 was already very good and they still managed to make version 3 way better. Now includes support for symbols and a very easy and powerful way to export images.

Thanks to everyone who marked my review as helpful and even to those few Adobe employees who marked it as unhelpful!! I am glad you are reading these reviews so you can learn more about how your competition is going to thoroughly wipe you out in the next few years! Cheers!

PS It has been helpful to me to hear the reviewers on this page talk about competition to Photoshop I was not aware of. Sketch focuses on webdesign like I said but I would be interested in replacing Photoshop in other areas besides web design as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Adobe: We own everything, including your work, if you stop paying us., May 9, 2014
Jason Zimmerman (Port St. Lucie, FL) - See all my reviews
This is ridiculous. The are down as little as $9.99 for PS and Lightroom which is not bad for the price compared to previous options. What IS a problem, is that you are just renting software. You are leasing the license. YOU DON'T OWN ANYTHING. And if you don't have an internet connection, too bad. The worst thing of all is that you have a limited time to get all your work over to some other media if you stop paying them. If you don't them too bad, you no longer have access or rights to YOUR work.

Go ahead and buy if you don't mind being a digital slave.

1.0 out of 5 stars Manga Studio 5 EX or Autodesk Sketchbook Pro work almost the same but w/no subscription., May 14, 2014
Manga Studio 5 EX or Autodesk Sketchbook Pro work almost the same but w/no subscription. Manga Studio 5 EX is only $209.99.
Download the trial version and you will see it is superior to Photoshop in most features. Sketchbook even has a free version. It is time we as consumers stop these large corps from stepping on us. Stay with CS6 and start moving to alternatives. I've seen other companies in the past treat their customers badly when they were on top. Now they are gone or barely a player in the industry. It is time to take arrogant Adobe down a notch or more.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Refuse To Be Dictated To!, May 19, 2014
I have been an artist all my life pretty much, I got into Digital Art early on with the Amiga. Then later a PC using CorelDRAW version 3. To this day I still say Corel's software is just as good as anything Adobe has. I've used them and compared them side by side, the only props I give Adobe is their UI is a lot better thought out. As far as getting the job done? Both do exactly the same thing with the exact same level of quality results. Corel is by far Cheaper than Adobe, problem is, they're going Cloud too. Except you can still purchase their software in a box on top of using the cloud.

I've been using Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and a few others of their products for years mainly due to where I work required me to. My last version of this software was CS6, it will be the last version I ever pay for. I refuse to have a company dictate to me that I will pay them a monthly fee for the use of their software over the internet like this when there is serious issues involved. Like if you're doing work for someone and they want access to the files you're working on? They're going to need to have this as well as you or they will not be able to view the work. Now that isn't an issue if you work directly under them and they're paying for it obviously. But if you're a Freelance artist like me? That's a slap in the face.

I'm also tired of every single thing going Cloud, I'm pretty much taking a stance and going anti-cloud and anti-in-app-purchasing as well. Reason is, companies are now finding new ways to exploit you for more money in so many ways that it's stupid. Until the consumers of the world stop falling for this however, it will never change. I don't mind say someone putting a piece of software out and letting you try it out and then through the in-app purchase be able to activate it fully for keeps. But that is the extent of how far I'll accept something of this nature. When I seen that Adobe was no longer offering anything past CS6 for purchase, that you'd have to be on their Creative Cloud to gain access to even just one program? No thanks, it's not worth it. There will now hopefully be more competitors again.

Adobe has had a long standing reputation of buying out competitors, taking their software, then discontinuing it ( GoLive was a great example ). This is how they systematically eliminate the competition. I wish companies would quit falling for this and being so greedy as to sell of themselves to such a company as Adobe, then having their once beloved programs shut down. I knew when they bought out Macromedia, that their software's days were numbered. The Cloud is a joke, it's nothing but a way for them to force you into a way of making them a ton more money and they can as some already pointed out raise this price anytime. You'll be locked in and no other options for your artwork unless you save them in formats that is not that of CC. No thanks, down with the Cloud!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, March 19, 2014
Dalton R Borchardt (Haughton, La United States) - See all my reviews
Sure glad I did not get Stupid & put it on my forehead. That is to expensive, and does not support Vista. I have been using Elements 11 for years and got it free with my Turbo Tax order many years ago. It does everything I need.for my photo work. If not, I have a friend in the business in digital photography. That kind of expense may be good for professionals but not for home PCs. Thanks to previous reviews for the information.

1.0 out of 5 stars Come hither SUCKERS. Have I got a deal for YOU!, August 28, 2013
Wow! Only $239.88 per year TO USE THE PRODUCT! Are you frig**n kidding me?

Oh, and wait, "Your subscription will auto-renew so you never have a service disruption" - which, when translated means "We're going to charge you FOREVER unless you go to the lengths necessary to stop us from doing so."

"so you never have a service disruption" - Oh yes, like those 'service disruptions' that were so common when you purchased a license in perpetuity - right?

Well, I'M SOLD! SIGN me UP! Because I'm just THAT stupid!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›