4.0 out of 5 stars definitive lessons in Photoshop
If you want to learn Photoshop, why not from its authors? This very recent text [2008-9] has lessons showing the many capabilities of CS4. The publisher/author was also careful to include many nice colour prints because after all, that is the point, isn't it?

Published on December 4, 2008 by W Boudville

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Poorly Written
I've enjoyed Scott Kelby's books and other Photoshop books in the past and was looking forward to this book. I made it through the first four lessons without too much problem only because I've been using Photoshop for quite some time.

But Lesson Five makes very little sense to me. I don't get the point.

This is what happens when a group of people...
Published on February 8, 2009 by Patti A. Edens

4.0 out of 5 stars definitive lessons in Photoshop, December 4, 2008
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)

The book starts from scratch, assuming no prior exposure to Photoshop on your part. It takes you thru the basics. But even in the early chapters, you are exposed to many powerful techniques, like the Sponge tool and the Healing Brush and Patch tools.

The most important chapters deal with layers. Of all the tools and ideas embedded in Photoshop, the concept of layers is perhaps the most powerful. The lessons give you fluency in it, and once you have this, compositing elaborate images becomes very feasible, largely limited only by your imagination.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and Poorly Written, February 8, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)

But Lesson Five makes very little sense to me. I don't get the point.

This is what happens when a group of people write a book. It's a mess. They keep getting the cart before the horse. For example, the first lesson requires making a selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool. Then, in Lesson three, the reader will find an explanation of how to make a selection with the Elliptical Marquee Tool.

Another example is in lesson three. It requires renaming a layer, but the explanation for how to rename a layer doesn't come until lesson four.

I knew how to use the Elliptical Marquee Tool and I knew how to rename a layer, so no problem for me. But how many more carts are before the horses? I'm afraid this book will only increase my frustration level with Photoshop, not diminish it.

I would not recommend this book to a beginner for certain and not even to someone with Photoshop experience. It was not worth the money paid and I wish I had not bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classroom In A Book, December 28, 2008
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I ordered this book with my cs4 software knowing that the Photoshop team who put this book together always know how to get accross to even the most struggling student, which refers to me quite well. The book comes with a disc containing the lessons you should use to follow along while learning how to use every tool Photoshop CS4 has to offer. I'm so glad I purchased this book. I take a lesson at a time in the evenings. I find it helpful to repeat a lesson as soon as I finish to make sure the information I learned comes easier as the instructions progress. The instructors made it so you're using previously learned tools and methods in each lesson. This makes it easier to remember what you've learned.

2.0 out of 5 stars Instructions without explanation, November 25, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
This text was selected by my instructor for a Web Graphics class and this has been a diappointment to both the instructor and the class. The text provides step-by-step instructions on how to complete tasks but without providing the reader an understanding of why the steps are taken or how why settings have been selected for various menus.

As an example, in Chap 5 on Masks and Channels, concepts such as gray-scale channels, quick masks and alpha channels are introduced but without providing a understanding of the concepts and how they are related. Menu settings are offered on menus such as 'Refine Mask,' 'Filters,' 'Refine Edge,' and 'Layer Styles' but without understanding what those settings are and how they affect the image. I found myself screen printing the menus and then going out to the internet to find out what those settings mean.

Finally, it does not outline a workflow on editing and creating images, one of the most basic skills that Photoshop users need to acquire.

I would not recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Basics, October 15, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
This product isn't so much a tutorial on what things are and how they work, but a step by step project book. While each project so far has been short and simple, there really isn't much explanation of WHAT I'm doing.
Its possible that understanding will come with time, but so far it is all click this, point here, click that and you're done!

So its good if you just need to dive in and get over using a new program. Its not so good if you have questions about why this over that.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are starting Photoshop for the first time, get this book!, June 24, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I aquired Photoshop as a hobbyist and this was the third book I bought trying to figure out what I could do with the software. Other books define what each feature does and how to access it, but Classroom in a Book puts the features into context. I learned the software as well as some basic graphic design and photography skills. Before you spend money and time on a class on Photoshop, try this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars A warning about Kindle editions of older Adobe classroom books, January 1, 2011
C. W. Kistler (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I thought it would be helpful to warn other customers that if you buy the Kindle edition of an Adobe Classroom in a Book which deals with software versions older than CS5 (the current version at the time of this review), you may not be able to obtain the project files that are supposed to come with the book. I discovered this when I bought the CS4 Flash book and one of my co-workers told me he had the same problem with other CS4 Kindle editions (we still use CS4 versions of some Adobe products where we work). After some searching online, it appears there's no way to obtain the older project files without buying the paper edition (which comes with the files on a CD). CS5 Kindle editions do contain links to downloadable project files, but the older books appear to have their links stripped out, which probably means the project files for those versions have been removed from the publisher's server. It's likely that at least some of the CS5 project files are different enough that they won't be useful to users of the CS4 or CS3 books. I haven't checked all of the CS4 and CS3 books out personally, but I'm posting this warning so that other buyers will be aware of the risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn Adobe software from Adobe experts, January 31, 2009
Diane Cipollo (Editor at BellaOnline.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
The Classroom In A Book series is one of the best ways to learn Adobe software from the Adobe experts and the Photoshop CS4 Classroom In A Book is no exception. However, I do have to admit that after several editions of this book, you do get much duplication. I only mention this because some consumers do object to this. That being said, the Adobe authors have done a nice job of covering the new features and the enhancements to Photoshop CS4.

For those of you who do not have a previous edition of this book, you will find fourteen project-based lessons created by the Adobe Creative Team. The step-by-step instructions are easy to follow and the project files from the CD give you hands-on practice. The authors begin by covering the workspace and basic tasks including photo correction, selection tools, layer basics, typography, vectors and preparing images for web and print. At the end of each chapter are review lessons and throughout the book are tips by Julieanne Kost, one of Adobe's experts.

The new features that are discussed are the Vibrance Slider, the Adjustments, Masks and Clone Source panels and the enhancements to Camera Raw. But the new features that will interest most Photoshop users are in the 3D area. The authors devote a chapter to discussing the new 3D tools and techniques. The project for this chapter is a CD cover. They cover how to use the 3D tools to navigate in 3D space and manipulate 3D objects. The project calls for wrapping a 2D layer onto a hat, which is one of the preset 3D objects that ship with CS4. They also discuss importing 3D objects and using Photoshop's painting tools to paint directly onto a 3D object. You also explore the 3D panel where you can adjust the existing lights and add new lights and textures. Finally, they demonstrate recording the movement of a 3D object and rendering the animation into a QuickTime movie.

Contributors to this book include Jay Graham, Arne Hurty, Tyler Munson and Lee Unkrich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help for the ACE exam, April 27, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
Even though I have been using Photoshop for years, Classroom in a book really helped me catch up with all the new and exciting features that came with CS4. It also helped me a whole lot with preparing for my Photoshop ACE (Adobe Certified User) exam and I passed! yay!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One Excellent Tutorial, March 16, 2009
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book (Paperback)
I usually have trouble finding books that satisfy me when it comes to learning from them. I found this not to be the case with Classroom in a Book. I found it to be just what I was needing to say the least. This book takes you from no Knowledge to quite a bit of knowledge in no time. It has very good lesson files which are located on a disk to be used while you go through this book. I have learned so much thanks to the way the book is designed. If you are like me and need to actually do the work to be able to retain what it is you are trying to learn than this is the book for you. I wish all books, designed to teach, were as well thought out as this one is. Thank You so much Adobe. When you think about it,It just makes sense to use a learning book that has been created by the author of the software itself. You will not be dissapointed in what I consider to be a great tool in and of itself, ( Adobe Photoshop CS4 - Classroom in a Book). One of the GREATS!!!!!

Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Classroom in a Book by Adobe Creative Team (Paperback - November 20, 2008)
$59.99 $37.25