on November 30, 2011
I use Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and Premiere/Photoshop Elements and have used them for many years. I upgrade every couple of releases depending upon feature enhancements and budget.

It seems like every time I move to a new version, Adobe does it best to inhibit you from just using the product. Besides the migration of catalogs, projects, etc., you end up having to reconfigure the software to get it back to how you want it to work (facial recognition was off in version 8 and I want it off in version 10). And, you have to put up with numerous re-registrations, "would you like to participate in..." and sales pitches.

Then, to make matters worse, you have these weird bugs that crop up in new versions...right now with APE 10, software is crashing for no reason, the quick selection tool is only allowing "negative selections"

Oh, and did I mention the features they take away that they then try to resell to you in either a "premium" service or another product (Lightroom).

My system is running windows 7 64 bit, 8 gigs of ram and no other issues.

These types of issues bothered me less when upgrades were cheaper. Now, it makes me reconsider my commitment to Adobe. I'll probably stick with it because I don't feel like going through the whole learning curve again, but I would not call myself an enthusiastic endorser of these products. (and every once in a while, they hit a home run... Premiere Pro 5.5 for example).

Makes me a little sad, because I really want to love these products.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2011
First off, I'd like to remind people that they are buying the Elements version of Adobe software. These are not the Pro versions. There's a reason why those versions are much more expensive. They are going to have many more features. There's a reason this bundle is less than $100. These versions are made for people that don't want to, or need to, take the time to learn everything that the pro versions Photoshop and Premiere can do.

Secondly, some people are complaining that they are difficult to use? These are some pretty cut and dry software applications. My 8 year old can use this software (and has). All software has a learning curve. The learning curve for this software is not very high. Yes, there are some things that take time to learn, but if you want to be able to do things that will really make your projects look good, you're going to have to take the time to learn how to properly use all, or at least most, of the features.

Is Photoshop Elements amazing? No, it's not. Can it do what 99 percent of people out there need? It probably can. If you're a professional photographer or graphics designer, or even a serious enthusiast, there is no way you're looking at Photoshop Elements to do what you need it to do.
If you're someone looking at doing some serious video editing, Premiere Elements may or may not be what you're looking for (probably not).
This bundle is for people that want to do casual photo and video editing.

I have Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements (both Version 10) and do I love them? Nope. So why give it a 4-star rating? Because I understand what they are. I'm not giving this software bundle a rating for what I'd like for them to be (I'd love for it to do everything CS5 and CS5.5 can do), I'm giving it the higher rating for what I know it is.

If you're looking for something that is going to allow you to do some amazing and mind-blowing photo editing, then you're a lot better off getting Adobe Photoshop CS5 (although, you can do some pretty cool stuff with this version too). If you want to do some amazing and mind-blowing video editing, then get Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 (again, this version is not that bad either). For those two professional pieces of software, you're going to spend over $1000. For Elements, you're spending less than $100. That should be some indication.

Hopefully I'm not making Elements seem terrible. It really is good for what it is. There are limitations, but there is also some really neat features that are available. I would recommend it to anyone that has some experience with photo and video editing. If they had no experience with either, I could also see myself recommending them, but they're going to need to read some manuals and watch some tutorials.

So why not 5 out of 5? I do have to agree that this software is pretty slow when loading. Most Adobe software is pretty slow, but I considering how lite it is, I don't think it should be.

Understand what you're buying so you don't have buyers' remorse later. This bundle is pretty good for what it is. If you want professional software, buy the professional software. If you want something that you can use to enhance photos and videos (with some learning curve) then this should be fine. I'll probably be going back to the pro versions later, but for now, this will do.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 15, 2012
I have long avoided moving up to Adobe's Photoshop because of a fear of the steep learning curve for mastering the software. I finally decided that Elements looked like it might be Photoshop with training wheels and I bit the bullet last month.

No regrets here! Indeed, the program is so robust that it will undoubtedly take many more weeks and months before I master it all. Meanwhile I'm up and running and have been creating beautiful images from the day of installation. And even if I'm not using 90% of it yet, what the heck; I'm productive. (And I'm told we don't use about 90% of our brain either.)

Online tutorials and tons of help buttons and tools are always available. In the end, learning Elements is nearly effortless and if you're into photography and editing images, mastering this program is fun.

Happy camper here. I'd recommend the product to any serious amateur or semi-professional photographer who wants access to many--if not most--of the Photoshop tools he/she will ever need. At this price, it's well worth the effort.
on November 4, 2011
I had version 8 and it was miserable at processing HD Video. The new version 10 on the same hardware can do the HD Video smoothly. My new HD camera is now more useful than ever. Processing even the top setting 1080P video is now an option. Processing time for a 90 minute DVD dropped from overnight to about 2 hours on the same corei7 laptop.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2011
I was skeptical of the new edition, as there was little new features. But I got the downloadable version here on Amazon due to the great price for both titles. Installed fine, and I fired it up. WOW is it way faster than PSE9! Also, Auto Smart Fix works far better, now. Before, it always brightened far too much. With PSE10, I tried it on a picture I had taken while experimenting with a new lens, shot on a train without flash, with my wife and daughter in front of a window, so of course their faces were shadowed. PSE10 lightened up their faces, but did not brighten up everything else. While there is of course lots of photographic "noise" to the faces, it is still a good pic, with minimal editing time involved. (can be seen on Flickr on my photostream Trainman Dad)

Also, the catalog is much faster now, and the facial recognition seems better, and gives choices as soon as you start typing, which it didn't before. The Flickr interface is about the same, meaning not as good as that of the Flickr desktop uploader.

Bottom line - if you have PSE9, BUY THIS!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2011
The best digital picture/video software ever! I am totally amazed at the ease of use and speed at which these programs operate. For years, I have just used the software that came with my camera or camcorder (which stayed frozen up over half the time). Never again! I can't believe I let myself miss out on something this great for so many years.

Both programs have an option of tutorial mode, which explains in detail (when you mouse over something) what each option does. I was afraid that I would not be able to figure out how to use it on my own, but it is extremely user friendly. It even has youtube, facebook, email options etc. which make it a breeze to upload pictures or videos. I can't wait until I have time to really explore all the editing tools. My only regret is not purchasing this years ago!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2011
I had wanted this software for some time and finally I took the bite. I did have an issue loading it. Amazon replaced it and sent a prepaid UPS marking for the return shipment and credited me accordingly. The second software loaded fine. Took a while, but loaded fine. In no time I was "Photoshopping" pictures! Once you start playing with it, it is easy to use. I'm sure I have only touched the surface in my usage, so I'm sure there is more fun to come. I would recommend PhotoShop to anyone looking for a good photo editing software.
on January 1, 2012
Both packages for less than $90 is a good deal. I upgraded from photoshop elements 5 to to version 10 and it was definitely worth the money for the additional features. It's my first time using premiere elements but so far I've found it very adequate for my video needs. If you really spend time learning these packages, there's quite a bit of capability to be had. One observation about photoshop elements v. 10 is that while the design of the program is very well done, the implementation is not as stellar. I never ran into software bugs with version 5 but found them immediately in version 10. I've had it leave orphan processes running that I had to find and kill before I could even get it to run again. Also had it just stop responding and been forced to end it along with some other annoying issues. Some of the internal processing related to the tag tree is also much slower than it used be. Again, a very capable program that could easily be a 5 star product if the implementation issues were corrected.
Pros:
- Good capability set for the money
- Well designed and intuitive to use
- Image processing is fairly quick
Cons:
- Implementation bugs in photoshop elements
- Some tag processing is slow
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2012
While I like the product itself, the installation was a complete nightmare. I upgraded from v9 to v10 on MAC Lion OS. Dozens of cryptic errors during installation. Some would go away after a reboot. Then more after another. Finally got Photoshop installed after 2.5 hours. Premiere elements would not install at all. Similar errors that did not make sense whatsoever. I installed the Adobe log analyzer software which was also completely useless. When I finally contacted support, I was pointed to an updated version of the install program which then worked.

In summary, I spent 6.5 hours upgrading two applications. I had to reboot the machine more than 10 times, had to download and install a log analyzer, had to contact support and then had to download a version that actually installs. One big waste of my time.

Being a software developer myself, I would be embarrassed if I would distribute a software package like this to my clients. Shame on you Adobe. I will definitely explore all other alternatives before purchasing an Adobe product again.

March, 2012: I bumped my review up from 1 to 3 stars to more accurately reflect the quality of the software itself.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2012
After spending over 6 hours trying to load this program onto my computer, and each time receiving an error message, I am extremely disappointed in this purchase. I contacted Adobe support, however their customer support transferred me to multiple different individuals. They told me that I would need to talk to someone in Technical support. Technical support told me that there was a charge for their service. What the@#@#? Am I supposed to pay for support for a program that is brand new, and not working properly? I have tried to contact them by phone, however, they are only available Mon-Friday! I should have listened to other reviews who also reported having difficulty installing this program. Do NOT make the same mistake that I have made. Would not recommend!