5.0 out of 5 stars 32 Bit & 64 Bit Compatible + Adobe Academic Software Tips
** 6/29/11 - I am unable to reply to comments left on this review. Amazon has removed my ability to do this, so I'll reply here.

- Reply to Shannon Hall: Yes. Once verified, you will receive a serial number from Adobe that you can use and re-use at any time.

Original Review:

An earlier reviewer said that this is a 64-Bit version. He is...
Published on January 7, 2011 by FlyTheAirplane

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy
I should have read the Amazon discussion page first.

"Adobe's student editions don't include an installation code in the box. You have to submit your academic credentials directly to Adobe to be emailed an installation code."

Published on May 24, 2010 by Hubert Heller

5.0 out of 5 stars 32 Bit & 64 Bit Compatible + Adobe Academic Software Tips, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5 Student and Teacher Edition (Software)

Original Review:

An earlier reviewer said that this is a 64-Bit version. He is wrong. I purchased Photoshop directly from Adobe as he did. They only make one version for Windows and it runs on both Windows 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. I have this same Photoshop CS5 (Academic Version) installed on both Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit computers and both run beautifully.

I also recently purchased the Student and Teacher Editions (academic versions) of Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 and Acrobat X Professional here on Amazon.

The following might be some helpful information:

Adobe has 30-day trial versions on most of their software.

For anyone intending on purchasing academic software from Adobe, I suggest they first try out the 30-day trial version, and then if still interested, sign up for an Adobe account. It makes things much easier during the verification stage by having your account already set up.

The entire verification process is very easy and it helps to have your scanned ID or any additional paperwork ready ahead of time. I received all three activation serial numbers in less than 24 hours. Adobe says that it could take up to two business days for verification.

Adobe allows you to install and activate your purchased software onto two computers. I have the above-mentioned software installed and activated on two computers on a home network. I am able to 'run' Dreamweaver, Photoshop or Acrobat on both computers at the same time without any licensing problems.

To install and activate your Adobe software on a third computer, you must first 'de-activate' the software on one of the other two computers. Make sure if you ever throw out or give away an old computer, that you first de-activate the Adobe software. Otherwise, you will lose one of your two activations.

After installing and activating, you can then register your software and receive a free gift from Adobe. The gifts vary for each software title. Some of the gifts are AdobeTextPro Font, Photoshop plugins, discounts on Adobe software and 30-day access to training videos on either Lynda.com or CreativeEdge.com. Lynda.com has an amazing amount of training videos. You may want to check out these two websites before registering so you have time to evaluate them.

Concerning future upgrades of Adobe academic software, here is a quote from Adobe's website:

"Upgrades don't have special education pricing. However, you can purchase upgrades for educational products at the regular upgrade prices from any Authorized Education Reseller."

So according to Adobe, you can upgrade your academic software for their standard (non-academic) software if or when you no longer have student or teacher status. That is a really good deal! Many software companies won't allow you to upgrade academic software.

If you are not a student or teacher and you want to purchase academic software, you may want to consider signing up for an interesting class at your local community college. You could then get your student ID and your student status. You don't need to be a full-time student and you don't need to be seeking a degree. Maybe you can find a convenient on-line class. You can then go to a website like JourneyEd and be eligible to purchase all kinds of academic software and hardware.

Also, Microsoft has a program called DreamSpark that allows students to download full-versions of their software for free. You need to first sign up for a Windows Live ID and then sign in and get verified on the Microsoft DreamSpark website. Microsoft uses your college-issued '.edu' email address for verification. During the verification process Microsoft sends an activation email to your .edu email address. You must log in to your .edu email account and click on an activation link within the activation email. My verification didn't go very smoothly as my college had blacklisted Microsoft's mail servers and wouldn't allow me to receive the activation email from DreamSpark. I was eventually verified 'manually' by Microsoft tech support. I had to email them a copy of my scanned school ID and a copy of my class schedule.

After you are verified, Microsoft will verify your student status once a year. You can download all of the software that they have available on their DreamSpark.com website. There are no time limits on the software. You can continue to use their software after your student status expires. After being recently verified, I downloaded the full version of MS Visual Studio 2010 Professional, another very expensive program that was completely free.

With that valuable student ID, you really can save many hundreds of dollars on academic software, hardware and training!

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good deal!, June 21, 2010
PB (Santa Barbara) - See all my reviews
This version of Photoshop Extended CS5 was perfectly simple to have validated with my student ID. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get it to work if something went wrong with the validation process, but you just have to enter the name of your school (several drop-down lists to navigate)and your student email address. Therefore, if you haven't gotten your email address yet (finished your class registration process), you'll have to wait until you are registered and have the student ID before you can start using your software. Unless maybe you are already a student. I'm only taking just this class, so until I was fully registered, I didn't have my student email address.
It arrived sooner than expected too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very happy, May 24, 2010
I should have read the Amazon discussion page first.

If you buy from Amazon, and then get denied by Adobe (as I did, since I am going to a private college that is not on Adobe's list), you will have to go through the trouble of returning the software to Amazon.

With a direct purchase from Adobe, your credit card shouldn't be billed until your academic credentials have been reviewed and approved.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous. Identit-E, the third party eligibilty verification service is a joke., February 23, 2011
Clint (Southern California) - See all my reviews
I read Pedro Cardoso's "Not eligible? You're kidding" post and my first thought was that he was trying to pull a fast one of some kind. Well, I am unfortunately dealing with the same nightmare. The problem is Adobe and the third party service Identit-E have a 'the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing' situation, and is completely unprofessional. Like Pedro, I also called Adobe before purchasing to verify that I qualified for the student version. I was told yes my school qualified, I qualified and that there would be no problems getting the Activation code. I recieved the Photoshop product from Amazon and was hesitant to open the packaging, in case for any reason I needed to return the item, but I was told by Adobe customer service I needed to open the package to give them a code. I then scanned & emailed Identit-E eligibilty verification service my student id and waited for the activation code.
Identit-E responded with a denial because my school Gnomon School of Visual Effects Hollywood, was "not accredited and not on the US Dept of Education list". I then typed my schools name in the US Dept of Education website, AND IT IS LISTED. Wtf? I then went to my schools website and found that IT IS ACCREDITED by Council of Occupational Education (COE), a national accrediting agency. Every reason of denial given by Identit-E is completely wrong and false. Now the fun part comes, trying to get the matter resolved and convince Identit-E, Adobe, someone, anyone, that I am wrongly ineligible. Identit-E answer-"Any additional questions or concerns should be directed towards your place of purchase". In other words, don't bother us. So I called Adobe and at first they said the same thing, you have to deal with Identit-E, but after explaining the situation and asking to talk with a supervisor (who was of course at a meeting) cs finally created a case number. So now, I wait for a response or a call back from an Adobe supervisor.......I would have just returned it immediately if I didn't absolutely need it for school.
*So after spending 4 hours on the phone with Adobe and proving to them I am a student, they agreed with me and told me , "Yes, you are eligible for the student discount and Identit-E must give you the activation code. Give them the case number and they will give you the code". So I follow the instructions and recieve an email from Identit-E telling me "does not fulfill the guidelines required by Adobe as it is not of degree granting status but rather offers certificates". So now it's not that my school isn't accredited as first stated, but they spring that it is because my school does not grant "degrees". Unbelievable. The fact is, going though this bull **** is ridiculous and the fact is, there are other less expensive (free) ways of getting the program. That's what I get for trying to do the right thing and paying for the program. Thankfully Amazon has the integrity to accept the return and refund my money. Screw you Adobe and screw you Identit-E.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Feb 27, 2011 2:13:07 PM PST
Hi Clint,

Sorry about your experience. You are absolutely correct that Gnomon School of Visual Effects is an accredited school. However, they are not a degree granting institution which is necessary to meet the educational terms. Please give me an email at jtranber at adobe dot com so I can look into what went wrong and help make this right with you.

Jeffrey Tranberry
Adobe Systems, Product Manager, Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

4.0 out of 5 stars CS5 Photoshop, July 26, 2010
Quality product at a great price for students. Worth the extra effort of submitting proof of eligibility. Without the discounted price for being a student I would never have been able to afford this highly needed product for my studies and degree program. Photoshop is the best rated image editor I have found. The other's offered for lower price are good but Photoshop has it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not eligible? You're kidding..., September 23, 2010
Pedro Cardoso (Washington, DC, USA) - See all my reviews
I'm a researcher at an academic institution that does run graduate programs (The Smithsonian Institution). I confirmed with Adobe themselves (chatting with an assistant at their own website) that I would be eligible for the discount edition. Only after this confirmation I bought the software through Amazon. And yet I was refused an activation code!? The company doing the verification (which strangely is not Adobe) apparently is missing SI as an eligible institution in their lists, the name was lost in the process. I tried to contact Adobe afterward but with no success...

My advice is, do not trust that because your institution is listed by Adobe you will be able to buy the product. I just returned my copy...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gold Standard - For Less, October 9, 2010
Photoshop remains essential for any serious-to-professional photographer. An expensive essential. Its depth and complexity can be daunting and its price off-putting. But still, you've gotta have it. Or its free equivalent, GIMP (not truly equivalent, but still excellent for digital newbies, certain techies, and those on budgets).

Fortunately, Adobe makes Photoshop available to students and teachers at a heavily discounted price.

I've been happily using Photoshop 5, upgraded to Photoshop 7, for years. So have many photographers who've not felt the need to keep up with Adobe's every new iteration. I recently enrolled in a photography course by a photographer whose work I admired in a gallery, who teaches at a local university. All photography classes there use CS4 in their labs.

That's when I realized I could upgrade at a steep discount, as a student. So I ordered the latest version (CS5) from Amazon, in the Extended Student and Teacher Edition.

Of course it's amazing and wonderful.

It arrives nicely boxed, in a trial version allowing full use for 30 days (or until you get the product key to unlock it).

Registering for the product key couldn't be easier: email a copy of your student photo ID and proof of current registration.

I would imagine the only people who might have trouble registering are those maybe trying to skirt the requirement of being a legitimate student in a legitimate institution.

Otherwise, for virtually all serious-and-above photographers, if you can enroll at an accredited school, take advantage of Adobe's generous Student and Teacher offer on the Gold Standard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 11, 2011
My daughter received this as a Christmas gift. She works with Adobe Photoshop at her high school and wanted it for her home computer. It's a fantastic buy. She had no problems loading it onto her laptop. It was easy to get the secruity code from Adobe to make the program work, just had to scan a copy of her highschool ID and send to Adobe. She has been very happy with it!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars stops working, March 31, 2011
This product installed and worked for 2 weeks, now all i get is Photoshop has stopped working message and it doesn't even initialize. My computer is only a few months old and has 4GB RAM, and more than enough memory for this program. Receiving the serial number was easy and only took one day. i have been on adobe forum and support and see this is extremely common. I have tried all their suggestions (uninstalling, CCleaner, reinstalling, updating graphics card etc, etc, etc. and it still doesn't work. Well, it was a nice idea, but if it can't be used then what's the point? Extremely frustrating and a disappointment.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 2, 2011 7:35:39 AM PDT
Hi Marina,

Please email me your contact info and I'll have someone work with you. I'm sure we can get you up and running. jtranber at adobe dot com.

Jeff Tranberry
Adobe Systems, Product Manager, Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Photoshop CS5, November 2, 2010
Jane Stoehr (Bloomington, IN, US) - See all my reviews
It's terrific, as expected. The new features really were worth an upgrade, especially the greatly improved Merge to HDR (Pro). The retail price is much too high, but the education version (exactly the same as the regular extended version) is reasonably priced. Fortunately, I'm an educator. :)

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS5 Student and Teacher Edition