4.0 out of 5 stars Love Lightroom, but Version 5 Seems Rushed To Market
I've been using Lightroom since version 2 and love the software. I like version 5 as well, but there are 2 caveats:

Published 12 months ago by Paul Watkins

I have used three versions of Adobe Lightroom up to this point, but this is the first one that I am not enthusiastic about. In fact, I am upset that I spent good money upgrading to the most recent Lightroom 5.

Published 11 months ago by JB

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Lightroom, but Version 5 Seems Rushed To Market, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)

1) It seems to me Lightroom 5 was rushed to market, possibly because Adobe was rolling out the "Creative Cloud" and wanted to include a new version of Lightroom along with the other software included in the CC version. There are some new features, but not what one would expect in a whole-number upgrade. (It *is* a great product, however.)

2) Version 5 is a CPU hog compared with 4.4. For example, when using an adjustment brush on large files the on-screen rendering is significantly slower, sometimes "freezing" for a few seconds before continuing. I've never experienced that with earlier versions, including 4.4. (Using a well-provisioned Windows mini-tower.)

In the end, since there is nothing I absolutely need that version 5 offers, I've gone back to version 4.4 for now and will wait for the 2nd iteration (5.1) before trying version 5 again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy with Adobe Lightroom 5 - signifcant bugs, over three months waiting for an update, August 8, 2013
JB (New Jersey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)

I was looking forward to some of the promised upgrades, such as a the Upright tool to correct perspective distortion and an improved Healing Brush tool. Sadly, what I also found in use of Lightroom 5 were bugs and instability in the current product:
- Frequent crashes in the Library, Develop, and Print modules.
- Known bug where noise reduction / sharpening is lost on export of images
- Performance issues.

We are now over two months past the release of Lightroom 5, and there is still no official update fixing these issues. Absolutely unacceptable for a product used by working professionals. I am not a pro, but I am still baffled at Adobe's lackadaisical response to these serious Lightroom 5 bugs.

(Note that there currently a 5.2 RC (release candidate) version available. But I've read comments that this update has introduced new issues - plus I have no interest in trusting my photo collection to beta SW or in paying Adobe to be their beta tester.)

I cannot recommend Lightroom 5 in it current state. Upgrade from Lightroom 4 or your previous editing / catalog software at your own risk.

Edit October 2013 - the 5.2 version of Lightroom was released on September 17 and has corrected most of the issues I detailed above. I have upgraded my appraisal somewhat - but I am still upset that it took Adobe over three months to address these critical bugs in a program used by working professionals and enthusiast photographers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excelent but good!, July 22, 2013
Daniel Tremblay "Cool D." (CHAMPLAIN, NEW YORK, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
At first, I was very excited to try the new Lightroom 5 but I was kind of disapointed after playing with it for a few hours. The difference between Lightroom 3 and 4 was really amazing! The Lightroom 4 version was a way more powerful tool with more flexibility to gain details in both high and low lights. The clarity is a more powerfull tool too in the 4th version. That whole new version 4 was great! It was worth to switch from 3 to 4 but is it really worth to switch from 4 to 5? I'm not yet convinced..... The 5th version still work on the same 2012 profile version as the 4th one. Some people are claiming that the 5th version is faster than the 4th version, I haven't seen any noticable gain in speed. Adobe are saying that the B&W conversion as a more powerfull controls, I doubt it. If so, I cant really see the difference. The advanced healing brush is like a cheap version of Photoshop's Patch Tool, the Upright is a automated version of the actual manual lens correction tool and the radial gradient tool is...... usefull for I really dont know what.... If you dont already have any versions of Lightroom, then go for it. It is an amazing non-destructive program for archival of your work/photography. You will probably do 90% of your work flow in Lightroom and the 10 remaining percents in Photoshop. But if you already have the 4th version...... I sincerely think it is not worth the upgrade.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read the notes at Adobe...severe bugs are still present here., July 26, 2013
Amazon Customer (New Hampshire, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
I was planning to upgrade from LR4.x until I read the FAQ list over at Adobe. They shipped this with severe bugs in NR and sharpening for exports, uploads to the web and many other areas. From what I read, I'd suggest sticking to the current version until 5.1 or 5.2 at least (or until people who bought 5.0 post that the issues have been patched). Glad to have read this list before wasting money on this. List is at [...] direct from Adobe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a step back from 4.4, September 7, 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
Added Sept. 21, 2013: I have upgraded the original version 5 to the point release,5.2, from Adobe. The software does work better now. The problems I was experiencing seem to have been repaired. It is still slower than before, but such is progress. I will upgrade the star rating to 4 at this point.

I have been using version 4.+ for some time and it has treated me well. However, I recently upgraded to version 5. The biggest problems seem to be that it is slow, gets confused between "library" and "develop", and the gradient which I use often just fails to work frequently. Slow and buggy seems to be the nickname for this version. 4.4 was working very well, but upgrading has not been an upgrade. I am seriously thinking about going back to 4; need to get my work done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incremental upgrade...nothing dramatic, August 30, 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
Lightroom 4 was a major and significant upgrade. This is just some tweaks. Touts using the thumbnail editing mode, which I haven't used. Thought I avoid taking some photos to Photshop for Content Aware editing, but find that the new feature in LR just isn't fine tuned enough for me.

It is faster loading, etc. If I knew everything I might just have waited to see what LR6 has to offer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cha ching Adobe, limits only newer camera raw file updates for only the newest software, no support for older version., December 9, 2013
® (West Coast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
I love Lightroom 4 as much as the next guy. I gave it a 4-1/2 stars back then. It was a huge upgrade over LR3 in term of the noise reduction engine and interface. I had it about a year and a half and now have to upgrade to this software. Why because if you get a newer camera Adobe won't update the raw compatibility for it. Only if you have the lastest software. I read the work around is to convert your files to dng,or whatever the Adobe raw file is, but what a waste of time converting raw to another raw format.

As for the product I didn't noticed anything too new. The spot removal has been updated to be like the spot heal in photoshop. the other thing is the upright tilt is good. Adobe still doesn't read nikon nef file right. I mean skin tone is still more natural in the Nikon raw converter. So I have to either create a tiff or jpeg to edit if I wan the best result. Most of the time I just open it straight on lightroom. Basically I bought a new lightroom just to be able to edit with my new Sony A7. Common how much changes is it to read a camera raw file? If you have LR4 working find without and having a compatibility issues there is little change or added features in this version.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Love Lightroom, just wish I didnt have to upgrade to use the newer cameras, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
I have a 5DMark II and borrowed a 1DX for a gig and then had to upgrade to LR5 in order to work with the files. As a software developer in a previous life, I struggle to imagine that Adobe couldn't handle the files in a different manner than forcing us to get a newer version of the software, but that is the path they have selected.

In relation to the software itself - I haven't noticed anything in there yet that makes my work faster or easier - for my use, it does what Lightroom 3 did.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 29, 2013 3:53:48 AM PDT
Hi Sally,

Customers do not need to upgrade for newer camera compatibility. Customers with older versions of our software can get the very latest camera support through the free Adobe DNG Converter: http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG

This works for customers going all the way back to Lightroom 1.0 and Photoshop CS2.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey Tranberry
Digital Imaging Product Development
Adobe Systems, Senior Product Manager, Chief Customer Advocate

4.0 out of 5 stars Just enough new stuff to make it worth upgrading, January 23, 2014
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
I shoot semi professionally and also teach photography workshops. I've been shooting for more than 30 years and am somewhat old school in that I don't like to depend on software to fix my mistakes. That said, when you start out with a decent photograph to begin with, this program really puts it to new heights - all without having to learn the complexities of photoshop. LR in my opinion, is really geared toward photographers and photoshop is more geared toward digital artists. So if your intent is to create great looking photos and not digital art, I highly recommend Lightroom.

I've been using LR for years (starting with LR2) and have purchased every upgrade so far. Adobe has put just enough into each upgrade to make it worth while. In this latest version, the noise reduction section works really well, as also with the ability to paint a precise path with the healing brush. The program is easy to learn and is quite intuitive from a photographer's point of view. I've spent a bit of time over the years developing and tweaking my own presets which speeds up my work flow tremendously. I can usually finish editing an entire wedding in a few sessions, or about 6-8 hours. Many photos take me less than a minute to process, just basic cropping and some level adjustments or application of a custom preset and I'm done. The only complaint I have is that you need a pretty decent computer to run this thing. I am currently using a Windows 7 pro PC with I3 processor and 4GB or ram and a high end video card. It's is painfully slow in loading, but not too bad once photos are loaded. Slide show is really slow to load on my machine. These were not issues with LR2 and 3, a little with 4, but a pain with 5. So I'll need to upgrade my pc soon. It's probably time anyway as this pc is 3 or 4 years old now.

Here are some samples photos I shot and processed through Lightroom:

[...]

Pros: Easy to learn, reasonably priced. Once you buy the first program, upgrades are very affordable. A must have for any serious photographer.

Cons: You need a fast computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightroom 5 Upgrade, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade (Software)
I have been working with the Adobe Lightroom software since ver. 2. I recognized the value that this program would add to my digital photography almost as soon as I read the initial reviews. I am a hobbyist who has loads of family photos that have been untouched since even before I was a "photograpy hobbyist". I've had several classes in Photoshop which I enjoyed very much, but my skill level never reached the leve[ of a progessional graphic designer that I would have liked. Lightroom is a program that I can produce output, both digital and printed, that I can present with satisfaction. And now that the program has added new capabilities that will enhance my ability to retouch and restore at an even better level, I am really excited to get on with my task of preparing and safegarding my family photos, as well as creating photobooks and other creative products that look even better than they did before this new version.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Upgrade by Adobe (Mac OS X, Windows 7)
$79.00 $74.19