5.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Look
As is usually the case, Martin Evening and his publisher are the first to put out a new book about an Adobe image processing software product. This book came out on the same day as Lightroom 4.

Published on March 21, 2012 by Conrad J. Obregon

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition is AWFUL!!!
I am really pained as to how to review this.

The content, like all of Evening's books is excellent. Five stars for sure.

Published on May 13, 2012 by Ken

5.0 out of 5 stars A Detailed Look, March 21, 2012
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The (Paperback)

The order of the book follows the way most folks would use Lightroom. There is an introduction to the program and all its functions, followed by chapters on importing photos; the library module; develop module image editing; the fine art of black and white; sharpening and noise reduction; exporting from Lightroom; printing; presenting your work (which includes the book, slideshow and web modules); managing your photos in Lightroom (which includes the map module); and an appendix on Lightroom preferences and settings. The book is quite comprehensive, pointing out almost every possible combination of key stroke, button or slider that can activate a Lightroom 4 function. (I say almost because I know of one keystroke combination that was missed; it's too unimportant to even mention!)

Evening does not present tutorials (although one can download images from the book's website to follow along in Lightroom). Instead the book is straight description with comprehensive illustrations and an occasional aside to indicate the author's preferences and uses, and despite the author's first-class writing, is dense. It is quite an embarrassment of riches. And for me that is the one downside of the book. For a new beginner, trying to learn Lightroom 4 from this book would be overwhelming, and I recommend waiting for "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby (assuming it follows the method of instruction of his books on earlier Lightroom releases). On the other hand the experienced Lightroom user will have to wade through a lot of material to find out what's changed, and probably improved in this release. Still I don't think that's so bad, because I confess that as I went through material that I thought I knew well, I discovered the existence of old capabilities that I had missed and that really improved my workflow. Notwithstanding that, I think it is time for the publisher to somehow separate out what's new so that experienced users can get to new functions and capabilities quickly.

I've always been happy that Evening recognized the contributions of the late Bruce Fraser to whose memory the book is dedicated. Evening clearly distinguishes between capture sharpening, creative sharpening and output sharpening, each of which is handled differently in Lightroom. For me, I found the most important part of the book to be the author's discussion of the new approach to the adjustment of tonality in the basic panel of the develop module (although I still wonder why most experts tell us to set the white and black point in Photoshop as a first step in adjusting tonality, while Lightroom is laid out to leave that as a much later step).

Nothing in the book talks about the art, that is, how all these tools can be put together to make a picture that tells a better story. It's all buttons and sliders.

New Lightroom users will probably be intimidated by this book because it is so comprehensive. On the other hand, once one understands the program, this book will be a treasure trove of ways to use Lightroom 4 faster and better. As with prior versions, I will keep this book alongside my computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition is AWFUL!!!, May 13, 2012
Ken (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
I am really pained as to how to review this.

The content, like all of Evening's books is excellent. Five stars for sure.

The Kindle edition would require negative stars to properly rate. It is absolutely horrid. This is a book on photography and the sample images are hyper compressed to the point they are just a sea of artifacts. All of the samples in the sharpening chapter are therefore worthless. Everything looks like trash.

Next, this is about a graphical application and as such includes many screen shots, both small and large. The captions often include useful annotations that are complementary to the text. In a proper page layout this results in an easy to read flow as you can hop from the text, to the figure and back again easily. In flows of related figures both the text and figures can have a natural spatial flow. In Kindle's draconian linear arrangement this is not possible and the result is a broken and barely intelligible quagmire of text and figures in a willy nilly arrangement.

Most amateurish and ridiculous are key sequences. Being a book on a computer text there are lots of these, including option and alt keys a plenty. Here they are rendered as over pixelated blobs that worse still are not integrated in the text but instead occur by themselves preceded and followed by line breaks! This is insane! It is as if someone attacked the text with scissors and pasted together a ransom note.

Keep in mind this was viewed both on a Kindle device and on the iPad Kindle app and it looks like trash on both and is essentially unreadable.

What pains me the most is that the new iPad is just delicious for reading graphics heavy PDFs and this book would be wonderful to own in such a format - PDF of the paper version with its proper page layouts. I guess I'll grudgingly have to kill a bunch of trees and burn oil to get the overweight paper edition delivered. The Kindle edition is unusable.

Is one star fair? Again, I'm pained as Amazon lumps the print and Kindle ratings and reviews together. Furthermore, I know they pressure authors to do Kindle editions and typically the royalties are higher to the author for the Kindle edition. In this case Martin Evening is serving neither his readers nor himself by offering the Kindle edition. Which is a shame, I like the author and his work and I would rather give the content the five stars it deserves. Unfortunately Amazon has decided to force me to drag down both editions ratings.

In conclusion - Amazon stop pretending these editions are the same. They are not, one is a beautifully crafted text and the other is unusable garbage. Mr. Evening, I'd recommend you pull the Kindle edition - it does you no credit and is a disservice to your readers. Insist Amazon provide a useful and modern format that preserves the careful page layout of your text before attempting an ebook edition again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for photographers!, March 21, 2012
I bought Martin Evening's excellent book "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers" for the same reason I bought is last manual for Lightroom 3: Martin is a great photographer who knows what photographers need in a software package, and he knows how to write about both photography and software.
I have used Lightroom since version 1, and even with years of experience using the program on a daily basis, I find that I really value Martin's book as a great quick-reference guide to new features. But it is more than that, of course; "The Adobe Lightroom 4 Book" offers great suggestions and help on workflow, post-processing and expanding and refining your creative process. There are loads of photos and illustrations and there is also an online component to this work that offers downloadable training videos and .pdf files as well as photos in lossy DNG format to download and use in exercises.
Another plus for me is that this is not an e-file or online resource; it's a book and as such, I can carry it with me to work and access it anytime I need it.
Martin Evening is a very knowledgeable and "patient" guide, and his writing style is clear and concise. You can be assured that he didn't "phone this book in"; the effort he has taken really shows, and I believe "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers" is a fine resource.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of info but incomplete, September 22, 2012
While this book contains a great deal of technical information that is valuable, at 700+ pages it is difficult to easily find what one is looking for. In addition, the book appears to be a rehash of the Lightroom 3 software with some new things added. There are several occasions where the author talks about using effects sliders in the Develop module, that are no longer present in the Lightroom 4 version. The book also appears to be based on the public beta version of Lightroom 4, not the final software. As a result, there are some sections that ended up in the final version of the software that are not covered in this book. An example would be the color section of the Lens Correction panel in the develop module. It was not in the beta version, but is in the final product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really complete guide, April 10, 2012
I've read a few books by Martin Evening on both Photoshop and Lightroom and this one - just like the others - is thorough, practical, and well-written. Is it for a beginner? That depends on whether or not he or she has the fortitude to wade through and absorb the 700 plus pages of detailed information and suggestions contained in this book. If a newbie to Lightroom is capable of sticking out the onslaught of new concepts, detailed explanations, and suggested techniques, then there is no other book that can compare. Is it for a photographer experienced in image organization and processing and/or already familiar with Lightroom? Absolutely! It's hard to believe that one person can know so much about a subject and also be able to convey that knowledge so aptly, but Martin Evening is just such a writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LR-4 book for advanced users, August 17, 2012
My background: I've been using Photoshop since version 5 for both photographs and illustrations and Camera Raw since its inception. I have my own numbering photo-job system, but have reached the point where a good photo management software is needed for my thousands of pictures. Everyone suggested Lightroom 4 (LR4) both for speed, filing system, organization and quick photo development and when it went on sale, I bought it. Everyone said it was a cinch to learn..."Debbie, it's just like Camera Raw, it's so easy!!!."

Wrong!!!!! Lightroom 4 has a steep learning curve for both the newcomer and, in my opinion, an even steeper one for the longtime Photoshop user. And although the "Develop" component of LR4 is similar to Camera RAW, it took me several evenings with videos from Lynda.com to figure out that LR 4 is actually 4 softwares in one. I wish that Adobe would have color coded each component...it would have been easier to follow. Once that basic concept is understood, the learning curves straightens out.

To help with my learning curve, I purchased two LR4 books from my favorite authors for Photoshop: Evening's LR4 and Kelby's LR4. Both are the best for a certain type of photographer or project. I had a project, opened and stored in LR4 and I was stuck. So Kelby's LR4 book to the rescue. A quick afternoon read of his book helped me out of my jam. But Evening's book is a fantastic reference for your library. It is targeted for the advanced photographer or a photographer with film and studio background that want a full understanding of the why behind all the sliders and tool boxes. Once you have the time to sit back and really learn a software program inside and out, Evening's book is the one to buy.

My favorite things about Evening's books: 1. he uses his own beautiful photographs as samples. Each image is a treat to behold and an inspiration; 2. Half of his shots are filmed in the US Southwest...one actually shot a few miles from my house...so his recommended settings work perfect for many of my photos; 3. He has wonderful tips and in-depth explanations for the "why" of all features of LR-4. I am always amazed at how he can explain complex information and still have a beautiful, artistic, clean and easy to read book layout; 4. An in-depth overview of how and when to move and edit photos in Photoshop; 5. Plenty of space in the book to make my own notations; 6. You can tell that Evening is not only a talented photographer, but a great teacher as well; and 7. Evening always provides, in addition to natural light, the why and how to use LR4 for photos shot in the studio with photo examples of each...(I do both, so I appreciate all his information)

Only one con: Throughout the book he details the difference between LR 4 and previous versions, Process 2003/2012 vs. the new LR4 Process 2012. (I am glad I have LR4). I wish he had color coded this information, or italicized it. Since I've never used the previous LRs, it was wasted information that I could have skipped. I do, however, appreciate the wonderful updates Adobe has done in this new LR4 and it is critical reading for those that have updated to LR-4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedic. The one to get., May 27, 2012
As Martin Evening points out in the introduction, as with most Adobe products, Lightroom has gotten so feature packed that it is no longer possible to write a brief how-to book. The result is a 680 page book that will probably frustrate anyone who was hoping for something simple. To get you through the program, or at least the changes vs. LR3 it really helps to have a true expert who knows what Lightroom is doing and how to explain it. And this is what sets guys like Martin Evening and Jeff Schewe apart from guys like Michael Reichmann and Scott Kelby. If you have the time and money by all means get all the books on Lightroom and watch the videos as well. But if you want a single reference to keep by your computer, this is the one to get.

4.0 out of 5 stars A clear and thoroughgoing guide., May 11, 2012
When I first got Adobe's Lightroom 4 it had been years since I'd used a version of it- I'd spent the intervening time with Capture One, and had missed the changes that had been put into LR over the years. Once I realized that this was a program with an awful lot going on beneath its skin, I knew I'd be on my own once I got through the helpful videos that Adobe posts online. (At that time the latest version of its PDF used guide was for LR3)
That was where I was coming from, and Martin Evening's book looked like a good investment, and I suppose it was.
At this point, I've actually read about a third of the book, and I have to tell you, he does go into detail. If you're the kind of photographer who often has to sit in front of a computer loaded with a version of some image processing software that you've never seen before, well, this book is going to be comforting at first, because all the answers really are in here. Even more than its big brother Photoshop, LR 4 is just chock full of keyboard shortcuts and right click menus that make the program sit up on its hind legs and beg- which are really the kinds of things you need to know if you get thrown into a full bore production situation.
But having said that, I don't think I'm ever going to read the sections that I won't be using - e.g. I can't see myself publishing a book of my product photos, so I'll probably skip that chapter. But I can easily see a wedding guy finding this chapter captivating reading.
This book is clearly written, and detail oriented to the max- it's not the author's fault that there are so many details to cover that after a while the reader needs to come up for air.
In fact my problem with the book is really my problem with the program- it's too much for what I need, but I am happy it's there for when I do need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reference for Lightroom 4 Users, March 30, 2012
Joel G Hashimoto (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a very detailed reference for Lightroom 4. I had the Lightroom 3 book and knew I would buy this book once I upgraded to LR 4. Martin Evening does a very thorough job of going through all of the controls available and gives information about the way he likes to use Lightroom. If you are new to the program you might want a more tutorial based approach like Scott Kelby's book. I would also recommend the in depth video tutorial for LR 4 available at luminouslandscape.com. However, there is no replacement for the valuable reference created by Martin Evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelby may not like to hear this but I found this book more complete than his, April 16, 2012
If you are a Lightroom afficionado, this is the book about LR 4 for you. I can't say what it does for beginners but for enthusiasts such as myself this is a fantastic book that you can read from beginning to end or use as a reference. I have used Lightroom for 4 years and attended many a course and read several books and still was pleasantly surprised with the number of goodies that Martin brings to the table. Two thumbs up!

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers, The