Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on August 9, 2012
After trying a few other stylus out there, I'm glad I sprang for the ton of money this one costs. Even as a hobbiest, I actually felt it was worth it. I own a standard junky nubby type stylus of which the brand name escapes me, an Adonit Jot Pro (which was a nice upgrade, but still didn't feel right) and now this one. I've tried it in Art Rage and AutoDesk Sketchbook Pro. I personally prefer Art Rage as it feels less laggy, and has made good use of the data this pen sends.

Granted, I've only had this pen for a few days now, I don't really have a lot of bad stuff to say about it yet. The only thing I think was poor was how they implemented the charging device -- what were they thinking? I'm afraid the heavy weight against a USB port can eventually lead to damage, and has potential to cause serious "oops I bumped it" problems. I'll be looking to buy a cell phone type USB charger that I can plug this into, to protect my macbook's USB ports.

I think as long as you keep a few things in mind, and know what to expect, the primary product itself is pretty excellent:

Battery life is of course a consideration -- it's good enough for me though. I haven't run it completely dry yet... it claims 12 hours, at most I've used it for 4 hours.

Screen protection - I use a glossy type screen protector, so it's no issue. If you don't protect your screen, you will probably scratch it. It's simple as that. Don't do that, because you'll be sad. Don't blame the pen -- I was very hesitant in buying any of the Adonit stylus because everyone was so whiney about scratches. It seemed pretty obvious to me, and I'm glad I ignored those reviews. Also remember that different screen protectors leave different "textures" on the screen. There are some that feel like rubber, and I bet those would be horrible with this (it would grip). Mine is a very glossy feeling one, and works a charm.

The plasticy "nib" on the end will eventually need to be replaced. I don't know if it wears out through usage, or if people are just breaking the thing. Thankfully, there is a spare "nib" in the packaging.

Application support is up to developers, not the stylus manufacture. The pen provides data for various states of "pressure" to the application -- it is up to the application to decide what to do with it.

In summary, this pen rocks. It was a total joy to draw with, and was the first stylus that for me, actually felt like using real tools. The weight is good, and feels like you are using a nice solid pen. Art Rage made a good companion to it.
on January 1, 2013
I own two of these stylus', and I also fell in love with it. Other reviewers have done a fine job listing its pros. I draw on the iPad (3rd and 4th gen models, one with Zagg screen protector, one without a protector, Jot works with both configurations), mainly using the Procreate app (my favourite!).

I did want to elaborate a bit on its biggest con - the round tip 'discs'. Hands down, without a doubt the Jot's biggest, maybe even only weakness/ flaw. Not only does sensitivity and connectivity diminish over time (within hours and days, in my case), they tend to pop off like crazy!

I am careful to cap my Jot when not in use, but I move a lot and had a real issue losing the darn tips. For example, I sit to use it, and when I stand the tip accidentally brushes my sleeve or against my body and it doesn't take much, just a light touch and the tips pop off without a sound.

They are tiny, clear, with a tinier silver metal disc inside and are very difficult to see. If you pop a tip outdoors, or on a thick carpet, that thing is gone. Can't tell you how much time I've spent on hands and knees searching for these things. Of four tips I dropped, I recovered one. Waiting for replacements in the mail is maddening.

Granted, most people probably are not as clumsy/distracted/accident-prone as me, but if you are like me, it's something to consider.

The skipping / loss of sensitivity issues are the real negative, though. Both of my Jots had the same issues. Adonit customer support did replace two of my tips which were defective, and they were prompt and great to deal with, but I kept having the skipping issue come up.

Love the Jot too much to return it. Attempted to replace it with a Hex Jaja and found the JaJa to be clunky and of poorer quality and accuracy. I ended up throwing away my Adonit tips and, after attempting several fixes, fitting my Jot Touch stylus with a GoSmart Stylus tip. One word. Outstanding.

The GoSmart tip on my Jots made me love the Touch even more. Smooth as butter, deadly accurate and precise, and the Bluetooth pressure sensitivity is perfectly amazing in Procreate and Art Rage.

So, if you don't mind possibly having to tinker/ try some fixes (had some success with tinfoil and thermal grease, too), and you love to create art on your iPad, and/or handwrite on it constantly, then Jot Touch is THE stylus for you. Get it. Love it.

If you mainly navigate, text & chat, compose documents, and/ or game on your iPad, it is not a stylus I would recommend. There are several other great stylus options for those uses that are far less expensive.
66 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
I've been drawing on my iPad for quite a while, first starting with my fingner, then I did the homemade stylus thing (with conductive foam), eventually I bought a pogo and a few others. Although all of these were nice, they all had some downsides, they didn't have weight, they didn't last long (the foam), they got sticky (the pogo) and above all, I wished I could get better accuracy. A distant wish was pressure sensitivity, but I wasn't going to hold my breath.

Then the Jot touch popped up on the internet...

I've been waiting for a LONG time for this type of stylus to come to market. I've tracked others including the Creigle iPen and the Jaja Stylus and I believe this is the best of all the current options. The Creigle iPen doesn't have pressure sensitivity and has limited app support. The Jaja is a kickstarter project and I don't believe it is being produced to the same professional quality as Jot Touch.

Pros:
o The stylus has a great weight to it and feels good in the hand.
o The tip has a little bit of a "spring" to it, which is in part because of the pressure sensitivity, which makes it feel really nice using on the iPad.
o The pressure sensitivity is great in Procreate (I believe the best art production app on the iPad).
o The shortcut buttons are convenient.
o Lot's of the best apps support the pen and even if they don't the tip still works as a stylus (no pressure).
o The clear disk allows you to be very accurate when drawing. If the app you are using has a offset option it will line up on the dot.

Cons:
o The tips are "consumable" as described by Adonit. Over time the connection between the "ball" and the plastic disk will wear out and they will no longer work. Replacement disks are $6 for 2, which isn't bad considering comparing cost to pencil, charcoal, ink or paint in the real world. Time will tell how this design holds up. The stylus comes with 2 tips, so you are covered for a while if you aren't a power user. I used one tip for 5 hours one day and started having some issues with it, which based on Adonits support forums is not typical. I'll be following up with them on that one and based on what I've read, they are responsive if you get a dud tip.
o The power button is tough to press to reconnect to the iPad. This is a pro/con, you don't want to turn things off by mistake, but it would be nice if it were easier.
o Not all software is perfect yet. As I mentioned above, I think Procreate nailed it compared to Art Rage, Sketchbook Pro and Art Studio.

To wrap it up, I love this thing. Best $100 I spend on a hobby in a long time. If you are an artist get it. It's not a Cintiq, but it sure is a great artists complement to an iPad.
on August 1, 2012
Just got it today! I love the feel and it charged for about 30 minutes - I then took it for a Test drive in Procreate and it does exactly what it says it's pressure sensitive lines were very clear and defined. You have to enable the bluetooth settings in the app to get it to work - but the setup is very simple.

After trying out the top 5 styli - this one is the new kid on the block to beat. Even the packaging kicks butt! The magnetic charger looks like a macbook extension - points for that and it charges quickly.

Anyone who uses a drawing or painting app on the ipad - do it. Make the purchase. Its worth it! I am hoping for more apps that will program for it. I need to write with it and would love for it to be built into more apps - but that will come in time!
on February 19, 2013
The entire Jot line of styluses suffer from one major problem—a horribly designed tip. The Jot Touch is no exception.

The tip of the stylus is a plastic disc which pivots on a metal ball point. Sounds good on paper. The problem is that this little ball point needs to be in contact with a tiny piece of metal inside the socket of the disc. If ANYTHING ever compromises this tiny connection the stylus loses capacitance. This results in skipping lines or no lines.

These styluses begin to fail anywhere from 30 minutes old to 3 months old. Adonit will send you replacement discs, but they too will fail. There are all kinds of strange solutions floating around on the web as to how to solve this. They range from using brake dust, tinfoil, different greases and pastes.

Once the tips start to fail, they will require more pressure to register (capacitance) with your device. Having to use extra pressure just to get the stylus to work at all, completely voids the pressure sensitivity this stylus offers. You'll have to press harder to get it to work at all, hence will lose the whole lower range of pressure (thin/light lines.) in order for a pressure sensitive stylus to work, it must be very responsive with light pressure. This stylus is probably the least stable I've ever tried when it comes to steady responsiveness.

Adonit clearly has a problem—they've invested far too much money in a design which is extremely flawed. They are counting on you to buy into their marketing hype. Their customer service is also combative and in continual denial about this problem. They've blamed their stylus' shortcomings on their manufacturers, their own customers and even app developers, all ridiculous claims.

I'd personally recommend the Jaja stylus (pressure sensitive) or the GoSmart Freedom 300 Stylus.

I do not work for, nor have any stake in any stylus company. I am a professional, freelance illustrator working in the film industry.
on August 8, 2012
1212 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2013
I was truly excited for this, as I do a great deal of illustration on my iPad and have been dreaming of the day when I could get some true pressure sensitivity from my stylus as I have on my Wacom. Well, it does work...to a degree. While I could get some decent line variation in execution, I also had to freaking grind the tip in sometimes just to get it to acknowledge the pressure. After working with it for some time I realized two things: it could possibly be damaging my iPad having to push so hard, and two, I really didn't like the overall smoothness/lack of resistance I felt when using it, as the spongy tipped styluses at least give the sensation of drawing on paper, with a bit of friction that also makes drawing on a train or car far better. Now it languishes in my bag while I go back to my older styluses.

God I just wish Apple would team up with Wacom like some of the PC tablets have done. Apple's determination to keep their devices as simplistic and mass-market as possible is driving me towards their competition!
on November 20, 2012
As an avid drawer, I was drawn (no pun intended) to the iPad when it came out as an infinitely renewable sketching pad, but I quickly learned that it was only good for just that: sketching. In the early years of capacitive styli with soft and sticky tips, drawing with a large amount of detail without getting frustrated was not a simple thing to do.

This little gem is a godsend. At the time of this review (Nov 2012) not a great number of apps support it, and not all of them well, but even then this is leaps and bounds above any other stylus available for a very simple reason: It does everything it can to directly mimic a pen. It has a solid tip that doesn't change the center of input when you push harder because you /can't/ push harder. The tip (which has to be a certain size to meet tablet input requirements) is clear with a pen-like tip attaching it to the body, so you can see where the line you're drawing is going to be without any guesswork. It's rechargeable, so as long as you have a USB post around, you can keep powering it. No that you have to power it frequently. I've gone a whole week or more without ever plugging it in to its cradle.

Most importantly to this model, it's pressure sensitive. That's what sets it apart from the other styli in its series. The other Jot styli are great for writing notes or quick-and-easy stuff, but this pen covers that PLUS being pressure sensitive. Nothing quite captures the feel of writing on paper as having your line get subtly thicker as you push down harder. Or having an airbrush tool get more opaque as you increase pressure.

In all fairness, the Jot Touch dooesn't meet the par of a Wacom tablet + Photoshop that a PC or Mac has, but it's really the closest you can get on a tablet. And though $100 is a high price point for a stylus, you won't be disappointed.

The feel of a Jot Touch is like a high-quality aluminum pen, and the little touches Adonit put into the device are stellar: things like the protective cap screwing onto the opposite end of the pen for safekeeping. And (forgive me for sounding like a complete geek) the packaging it comes in is beautiful. Everything about the Jot Touch, from getting it to using it daily, is a joy.
on August 17, 2012
Got a JOT TOUCH and have used it for about 2 weeks so far.

The short version.
After this amount of time, two main points are clear to me.
1. the stylus works and do pretty much exactly what I hoped for.
2. the software offerings do NOT yet support the stylus, and / or the pressure fully.
So the equation become 1/2 = ?
For me the answer is that I am satisfied with the value the stylus have added to my sketching with the current level of support and that I find it a acceptable purchase at the price with what it give me today.
Your answer may be different, and I have tried to draw up some of the biggest issues below.

The long version.
JOT TOUCH STYLUS - the first part of the equation.
Like some fo the other reviewers I have experience using Cintiq and Wacom products for several years (well actually a few decades). and there is no amount of excitement that can convince me that the Jot Touch pen itself is close to a Wacom pen. for starters a vacom pen have thousands of levels, the JOT TOUCH have 256.
But that is OK for now, the mix of my iPad retina and the JOT TOUCH pen have been very convincing, the mixed package deliver - well is ON THE WAY to deliver - a lightweight portable Cintiq.
* JOT is also known for their disk point, which do give a more precise line, however that is a different story and I will not get into the disk here.
So - as far as I am concerned the pen is working and worth the money.

The second part of the equation is the SOFTWARE.
There is a number of apps already offering some support for the JOT TOUCH. But NONE of them offer full support for the pressure information. Most seem to be a matter of "me too" support. and maybe the people at ProCreate said it best, they released first one version with pressure support, then a updated version which DO work better than the first.. but they also basically at the same time said "you need to wait for the next major update to see what our idea of touch support in a paint app is". so don't hold your breath.

My favorite drawing/painting apps, ArtRage and ProCreate both have touch support... to some degree.
basically ArtRage support brush with a bit... not fully. and ProCreate with the latest update support density in SOME brushes and size in other brushes.. in both apps there are room for improvement. (well room for HUGE improvement to be honest)
Oddly the best support seems to be in some of the lighter apps like sketchclub and clibe, (I like clibe's premisse, but am disappointed that they have not done anything to further develop the concept for about a year now.)

Why do I find it worthwhile at this point. The answer is ORGANIC, the limited touch support available right now, already have provided a big improvement in the "look" of sketches, simply because we used to draw digital lines, digital ink, always perfect with perfect thick lines. even the marginal 4-5 levels supported by ProCreate and ArtRage right now, add a HUGE different feel to a drawing, simply because a line goes thin, skips, have a fat spot where the marker touch down etc. it looks like it was drawn with a pen... a ANALOG pen. there is a lot of apps that try to do the same thing by interpreting pen speed and start end point treatments of the line, one of the most successful is probably the PAPER app, but it is still not the same as the perfect imperfection from your hand and your drawing style.

So there you have it, the pen is worth the price to me, I cant say it will be satisfying to you, but if you have paper drawing experience, I do believe that even the current software state, will deliver a far more authentic drawing experience.
on October 31, 2012
I had been waiting to purchase this for some time. Was really looking forward to it. I'm a truck driver by trade, so I had to leave to go on the road the day it arrived. Did not really get a chance to use it until I came home a week later. Sadly, it does not live up to expectations. I had watched some video demos, so I knew how to hold it properly, but this stylus would skip and leave scratchy lines constantly. The pressure sensitivity was practically useless. I used it on my iPad, in both Procreate and Sketchclub and it was just terrible. I tried several times, on different projects, only to find myself turning off the Adonis Touch, and going back to a simple stylus I bought at Wal-Mart for ten bucks or so and got much better results. I will be returning this item as it has failed to live up to it's promise. I'm not happy that I have to do this, as I was really wanting it to be what it said it was and it would do what it claimed to do. I was willing to pay a hundred bucks for what they offered, but I am not willing to keep what they delivered. I highly suggest that anyone considering buying this product go to the following page and see how poorly customers with legitimate complaints are treated by Adonit Customer Service Representitives. [...]