Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Adonit Jot Pro Fine Point Stylus for Apple, Android, Kindle, Samsung, and Windows Tablets - Gun Metal [Previous Generation]
Style Name: RetailColor: Gun metalPackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$18.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 30, 2012
Adonit almost nailed it with the 2nd generation jot pro. The smaller disk allows for a high degree of precision that isn't found in other styli. The dampening tip doesn't have much give to it so the tapping sound is still present and the rubber ring securing the cap will hopefully solve the problem of the cap spontaneously loosening itself.

The one problem is after a few hours of use the skipping started. Having used the "old" jot pro for a year, I was expecting this to occur. A VERY tiny dab of thermal paste placed inside the disc immediately corrected the problem. I don't know why the manufacturer refuses to address this problem but check any review site or discussion forum and you will see this issue over and over again. One of the most expensive styluses on the market shouldn't require this bandaid approach in order to function correctly.

This stylus is almost perfect. If and when adonit addresses the skipping issue I will happily edit this review and give the stylus 5 stars.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,083 of 1,133 people found the following review helpful
on May 23, 2013
(Original review May 2013 -- Edited April 20, 2015 to add photo of grit in stylus tip per reader request)

I purchased the Adonit Jot Pro capacitive touch stylus yesterday afternoon from a local retailer at a price of $30. After using the new stylus for about half an hour, I noticed a long, deep scratch across the screen of my Nook HD+ tablet. I turned off the tablet to clean the screen and found that the new stylus had been scratching the screen all over. Upon closer inspection of the new stylus, a defect in manufacturing was discovered in which a tiny, hard piece of grit was molded into the clear disc that constitutes the stylus' tip.

I emailed Adonit customer support at support@adonit.net with the details of the damage to my property and a request for compensation. Demonstrating a consistent aloofness to my concerns, support representative Michael's response was that their products are not made to scratch device screens, and that the warranty does not cover anything beyond the stylus itself.
My first warning to the potential customer of this company is that there is no statement of warranty provided with the Jot Pro product in its own packaging. Secondly, the warranty, which was emailed to me instead, doesn't actually provide the customer with any guarantee of support or compensation.

I took magnified photographs from various angles with a Canon 60D and provided the images to Michael, requesting that he allow me to send the defective stylus to his company and let them conduct their own independent investigation and inspection. This offer was in good faith on my part as I would no longer retain any physical evidence of the defective product, and as such would put my full trust into the Adonit company to inspect the device, investigate my complaint that the defective stylus disc scratches glass, and offer reasonable compensation: the replacement of my Nook device or the servicing of its screen. Furthermore, by sending the stylus to Adonit, I would no longer be able to acquire a refund from the place of purchase for the product.

My request for Adonit to receive the defective stylus and conduct their own independent inspection was three times denied. Seeing that the opportunity for reasoning together has been consistently ignored over eight exchanges of correspondence, I am bringing my experience to the attention of any potential customer I can reach.

Adonit buyer beware: This startup sells merchandise that is overpriced for its margin of error in manufacturing and risk of loss to personal property in usage. Should you purchase their stylus products, as per my experience, you may receive a defective tip that etches deep scratches into your screen glass. Should you experience such personal loss, as per my experience, the Adonis customer support will demonstrate no interest whatsoever in inspecting the product in question to determine a flaw in manufacturing or any company liability for ruined customer property.
review image
6767 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2012
I bought this less than a week ago. No problems with it and despite not having a pen clip, I was happy with it. I used it for drawing in sketchbook pro, which worked wonderfully. Everyday, I meticulously wipe my screen and the jot pro pen tip fearing scratches. From many other online reviews I thought people just had dirty screens/pen tip hence scratches appear.

For awhile, I thought I was safe. Today, like any other day, I cleaned my screen and pen tip before my sketch session. After an hour drawing, I turned off my screen and noticed hundreds of micro scratches. Great, I thought, did a flake of my skin get trapped and caused these scratches? Tough skin! Did a speck of diamond dust fall in between my pen tip and decide to stay there for an hour? Surely, it could have fallen off while I'm drawing! My guess is, it was embedded into the pen tip and never came off.

While I applaud the pen for it's usefulness and precision, I really have to warn other against it unless you use some countermeasures. A screen protector is wise, but it really hinders the retina display and sensitivity. So for everyone out there, do not use this unless you have a screen protector. The tip traps debris and you won't notice it, feel it, or see it until you turn your screen off.

Adonit should use some sort of anti static coating so debris won't "stick" to the pen disk. Also, the pen tip is poorly made. The rounded edge is very rough, notably the plastic residual from the mold. When you were a kid making plastic models, you 'break' off those pieces from the molding holding it in place, a small piece of that plastic remains. You're suppose to sand it off so it is completely smooth....do something about that Adonit. I was really tempted to do the same when the product arrived. Perhaps that little bit of pointy plastic was the culprit, but than again, the screen is harder than the plastic, right?

TL;DR- Yes it was completely my fault that I managed to get hundreds of scratches on my screen because I did not spend an extra $20-30 for a high quality screen protector.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2012
I used this pen for a total of five minutes and I noticed that the pen was scratching up my perfect screen. I am completely appalled by this destructive device.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2013
I just purchased the pen this week. I was thrilled to receive it, and so pulled it out of the packaging immediately to try when it arrived. That's when the trouble began.

The little plastic disk fell off immediately and got lost in the carpet. I found it eventually and snapped it back on, but it falls off easily and was effectively designed to be invisible. That part of the design works well!

Next up, being in a hurry to head out after ten minutes finding the tip, I decided to test the pen on my ipad before putting on a screen protector. Just once, and I scrupulously cleaned both the tip and the screen before I started. I opened a drawing ap (Paper by 53) made a couple scribbles, and put both tablet and stylus away. When I got home to put on the screen protector and have a longer trial with the stylus, there were fine scratches on the screen more or less exactly duplicating the second half of my scribble. I know the scratches weren't there before I started, since I cleaned it carefully. Inspecting it in the same location and lighting a couple hours later showed them clearly, though.

Ah, well, shame on me, I thought. They were few and fine, and not going to affect the performance of the tablet; it was inevitable, I supposed. So I carefully applied the screen protector and sat down for a real drawing session.

The pen skips. It doesn't work at all if you hold it at a steep angle, which is something I do a lot since I like to rest my wrist or forearm outside the active area of the screen when sketching. Not only that, random strokes appear on the screen no where near where I was drawing. That seemed quite odd. I assume it was a static discharge effect, particularly because it got worse and worse as I continued working. I finally gave up in frustration.

When I zoomed in on the image later, I noticed there is a fine haze of randomly colored pixels around on the drawing. I was working in greyscale and removing the darker pixels as they appeared, but the ones that were close in tone to the canvas were left. And there are lots of them.

I've had this ipad mini since Channukah and sketched on it most every day with a Wacom Bamboo with no scratching that I could detect before using the Jot. I've zoomed in and inspected similar sketches done with the Bamboo and found no evidence of the random pixels getting colored. I put these things together with statements from the company to conclude that this stylus, for whatever reason, must develop a greater than average static charge between itself and the screen. I haven't measured this in any scientific way, but there are clearly differences in how it behaves from what I've been using.

Perhaps there is another explanation, but I don't really care. I don't like how this stylus works, over and above the scratching issues. Even if the random pixel problem could be solved (perhaps a different screen protector would react differently?) the pen angle and skipping line problems would remain, and that's a non-starter for me.

In summary I strongly recommend against purchasing this product. The scratching problem seems to be very real, and the stylus performs poorly. It is nice to be able to more precisely locate the tip of the pen on the screen, but that's not helpful when the line doesn't draw. I have written Amazon in hopes I can get a refund.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2013
Just so you know, if you are reading this before ordering, the cap is SCREWED onto the packaging so it has to be unscrewed to get it out.

The review:
-----
Update 2+ months later... I LOVE this thing! After fixing the initial skipping discussed below, I have not had any skipping problems and still no scratching! This is one of those things I love so much I would buy it again, just because.
-----

`Yes, I have only had it one day so I haven't had the scratching problems yet (and hope I never do!) but, I did have the skipping problem within about an hour.....ARGH!!! But, rather than having my usual knee jerk reactions, and returning it unloved, I decided to ask for help from the company. I got this response this morning...did it and all is well again! YES!!! No more skipping, and all that was necessary was cleaning the disk! (the old fashion way, I licked it...shhhhh, don't tell)

Here is the "official solution" from the company.

"I'm really sorry to hear about that issue you ran into with your stylus! Skipping and loss of functionality can actually be caused by one of several different issues - here are a few suggestions that may help though:

1. The disc's surface should be cleaned with a tissue or soft microfiber cloth.
2. Taking the disc off and blowing into the socket can remove dirt.
3. Polishing the Jot's metal ball tip with tin foil can remove micro-corrosion affecting conductivity.

Generally we don't recommend the thermal paste method you mentioned, because it can potentially damage the plastic disc on your stylus and make the problem worse in the long run. Thermal paste can also contain tiny bits of grit that can scratch your tablet's screen (thermal paste is roughly the same consistency as toothpaste, if that gives you an idea).

If the suggestions I mentioned above don't work, you might just need a new disc for your stylus - issues with the contact detection skipping in the way you're describing are actually not a symptom of a problem with the entire stylus, just the disc."
review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2012
I hesitated to buy this product because another reviewer said it left scratches on their iPad. Because only one reviewer left that kind of feedback, I figured it was a defective product and ordered mine with confidence. I tried it out on the "side" of the screen at first to see if it would scratch. When it didn't, I thought I was in the clear. Mindful, of this products one negative review, I was very careful to use a light hand with stylus each time. I've used the stylus less than 15 times for short periods of time over the last two weeks and last night I was looking at my screen (iPad turned off, in direct light) and I see all kinds of scratches all over my iPad where I've been using the stylus.

If I could give this zero stars...or negative stars, I would. I cannot figure out why in the world a manufacturer would sell a product that so badly and immediately ruins the surface of very expensive electronic screens it is expressly designed to be used with.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2013
I love everything about the potential for this pen. I've tried the mini, classic and pro. All of them have wonderful potential. This one is the perfect size and weight, and is magnetic. It looks cool. It is the ultimate in precision.

And, yet, IT SCRATCHES THE SCREEN. I have a screen protector, but still. They all scratch the screen. I can literally read words scratched into my screen protector. If/when they resolve this issue, I'd be interested in the product again. Until then, I just can't.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 16, 2013
If you're looking for a stylus/pen that can accomplish fine tip writing on an I-PAD this is it. It is awesome. The "scratching issues are easily preemptively dealt with by installing a good screen cover, such as "ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Apple iPad 4 with Retina Display / iPad 3 / iPad 2 Screen Protector Shield + Lifetime Replacements." The stylus still works perfect and no scratches.

Now the big ("BUT") issue. This stylus/pen is expensive so you definitely don't want to be completely replacing it just because you lose the $0.05 plastic disc at the end of the pen. This disc falls off very easily. In fact after many close calls my (pre-med) son finally lost it today and couldn't find it. He told me he has looked for a site to buy replacements but can't find one.

The pen is outside of the return window. If it had been ordered from anyone other than Amazon we would have nothing but a fine tip pointer. However, as usual Amazon customer service being awesome offered to send a new replacement as a customer service courtesy. Diane at Amazon also found a link were you can buy replacement tip discs. The replacements are $6 for two plus probably a delivery charge but at least we don't need pay $30 for a new pen. Thanks Amazon.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 26, 2013
This is from a PhD student who takes notes everyday on his tablet. I rarely feel compelled to write reviews, but this product has stirred me out of apathy because it was such a waste of money.

The Jot Pro has excellent build quality and certainly looks more appealing, but after trying out a few different brands of capacitative stylus here are the major drawbacks:

- writes terribly. The disc at the end of the pen is innovative, but mistaken; it requires you to hold the pen such that the disc is flat against the screen at all times. The center of the disk has a small circular piece of metal that registers with the screen, the plastic disc just enforces an angle of contact. If the plastic disc is not flat against the screen, the center of the disk will not register.

This means that if you write reasonably fast the plastic disc loses contact, and you will have letters with significant missing pixels. H's without - or A's that look like P's, etc.. Note the guys on Youtube who write with "the Adonit Jot Pro and Writepad Stylus" are writing pretty slow.. I suppose some people can hold the pen in such way that as they write they do not lose contact, but for a premium product this is just bad.

Note this also makes this stylus terrible for other usage scenarios such as if you want to stand at a bus station and play with your phone, since it is quite unnatural to swipe casually using this stylus (heavy and awkward angle) .

- annoyingly loud sound that makes you wonder if you're going to scratch the glass. You won't of course, but you'll wonder. And you'll obnoxiously disturb anyone within a 5 foot circle around you. Youtube if you don't believe me.

I highly recommend a microknit stylus; almost no sound, glides right off the screen, just as precise. While the point of contact is larger and "less precise", you will naturally learn how to hold the stylus in a way that suits you and allows you to register reasonably precise movements. To be honest, though, those hoping for pen-and-paper replacement should go digitizer.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...