4.0 out of 5 stars Jot Script - Perfect for taking notes on iPad!
I've been using Jot Touch 4 for months. It gave you high accuracy, but there was something about having the disc around the end when you were taking notes.

After weeks of waiting, I finally pulled the trigger on this one. Little pricy for a stylus but if you are planning on taking notes with iPad, this is the one.

Pros
- Very easy to...
Published 7 months ago by Bryan Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Issues Overwhelmed Me Despite Excellent Customer Support
I really wanted the fine point. I use my iPad all the time for reading, note-taking and even classes, when I use it like an electronic overhead projector, marking up literary texts I'm studying with students, etc. I have used the Jot Touch since it came out, but the Script looked like a whole order of magnitude better...
...alas, it was not to be. First of all, it...
Published 7 months ago by Lawson Stone

2.0 out of 5 stars Issues Overwhelmed Me Despite Excellent Customer Support, December 30, 2013
Lawson Stone (Wilmore, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adonit Jot Script Evernote Edition Fine Point Stylus for iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and iPhone (Personal Computers)
...alas, it was not to be. First of all, it times out very, very quickly. If I'm reading and marking a page, and read maybe a half-page without using the Script, it times out and I have to re-start it. Then, it seems to me the battery contacts are frizzy. Once I couldn't get it to turn back on after several tries, and then just tightened the battery cap a bit (it was already snug) and it turned on. Then it will start acting like the battery is just dead, but I have a battery tester and I know the battery is fine. I think the decision to use an AAA battery was the wrong choice. I also find that it does not consistently handle palm rejection even in Penultimate, which it allegedly was made for.
So I love the concept, and I wish Adonit well. They seem a fine company, I've loved their earlier styli, but this product is just not ready for prime time, not by a very long shot. I think it will hurt their reputation unless they do a major re-design and possibly allow an exchange.

Here's an Update: I continued to try to use this stylus and continued to be frustrated by the time-out issues. I have concluded that it has to do with the rather weak Bluetooth 4.0 signal used to link to devices. I have an electronic pedometer that also uses BT 4.0 to synch with my iPhone, and I started noticing I could make the stylus time out by forcing a sync with my pedometer. When I turned off the continuous synch feature of the pedometer, the Script performed a little better. Still, the 1 minute delay before turning off might be good for people drawing, but for a researcher who reads a page or two then underlines, annotates, etc. it just means the stylus has to be re-started almost every time it's used.

I wish it had a firmware interface in order to adjust these settings.

Lastly, the battery cap easily becomes loose, which also contributes to poor reliability as the battery loses contact. I'm constantly having to tighten the battery cap.

UPDATE: As seen in the comments, Adonit's customer support posted a reply and also replied very promptly--less than 48 hours later--to my e-mail. I was assured that they would either help me figure out the problem or they'd replace the stylus. I was given a trouble-shooting list to work down, which I did, and I spent a week or so working with the stylus to evaluate the progress.

I'm happy to say that the stylus was not defective. Once I worked down the trouble-shooting process, which included assessing the Bluetooth connection, the pairing, etc. the stylus worked exactly as advertised, and quite well.

In addition, I am delighted with Adonit's customer support, which was prompt, informed, and resolved my issues. So I'm upgrading my "star" rating to 4 stars.

Why not 5? There are still a few issues and suggestions, I'd like to make that would make me a seriously passionate devotee of this stylus. The issues are *not defects,* but relate to my particular needs. The stylus times-out after 1 minute of non-use. That's fine for sketching or note-taking, but reading research material, I might read a page or two without annotating, but then the stylus goes to sleep or powers off and needs to be restarted. So I've developed a pattern of, about 2x per page, just touching the point of the stylus to the screen. This seems to keep the stylus awake. The second issue is the battery cap. Mine comes loose very easily, leading to loss of contact in some cases. I wish it locked in place. Third, I find the power switch sits right where I often hold the stylus and sometimes I actually turn it off by accident. I wish it was located differently. Third, I wish Adonit made for all their styli a cap with a pocket clip. I carry mine all the time and have improvised a pocket clip, but it's ugly and detracts from the "fine pen" appearance. I know not everyone wants this, so an accessory that replaced the current battery cap with one that (a) locks on better and (b) has a pocket clip would just make me a totally happy camper.

For now, though, I'm happily using my Script stylus, loving the fine point, and pleased with Adonit's customer support.

Well done.

UPDATE to the UPDATE: Finally gave up. The time outs, the drop outs, the erratic performance... I finally went back to my original Adonit Jot Pro, which never fails me. The Script is a great idea, but in my view, not ready for prime time. I guess I should return it for a refund, but I so wanted it to work, I fantasize they'll do a proper update and reward all us early-adopters--aka paying beta-testers--with an upgraded and rock-solid Script stylus... but for now, it's in a desk drawer. Great concept, needs better execution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jot Script - Perfect for taking notes on iPad!, January 14, 2014

Pros
- Very easy to connect.
- LED indicators to show the status
- Writes very well on the RIGHT applications (Will discuss further)

Cons
- Loses connectivity sometimes
- Material seems little cheap (the matte finish doesn't look luxurious for a $75 stylus)

The most important part of using this stylus: CHOOSE THE RIGHT APP
Many people will download the Pentultimate which is recommended to use along with this stylus. If you do, you will immediately hate this stylus and think that it's a waste of money.

I recommend 2 apps.

1. Notes Plus (Available for $10 on appstore). This app has 5 distinctive writing styles and when you select calligraphy method, no matter how bad your handwriting is, you will be able to take beautiful notes. The only downside of this app is that it doesn't have palm rejection however, there is this little control line where you drag a line up and down the screen any touch you make below the line won't do anything.

2. Noteshelf (available for $6 on appstore). This application has absolutely 0 lag. It doesn't write as beautifully as Notes Plus, but it gives you 0 lag, so it feels closest to writing on a physical notebook. The various pen setting is enough to suit anyone's writing needs. Best of all, it does have a palm rejection so you don't have to worry about your palm making smudges on the page.

Overall, it's a great writing stylus for those that would like to take accurate/legible notes with your iPad. With the right app, this stylus will ensure that you can take great notes as if you were taking notes on a notepad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still in beta. Welcome to the test generation, early adopters., January 4, 2014
This review focuses on writing in Penultimate, Evernote Script's app mate, although what I've written below is also true in GoodNotes, and I've tried it with the Bamboo app (best results) and others. After watching an online review video that touted the Script's virtues way more than deserved, I've been disappointed. My review also has in mind use and experience with 4 other styluses: two by Elago, the Wacom/Intuos Creative Stylus, and the Pencil by 53.

Writing issues: The first disappointment came in setting up the device up in Penultimate. When you connect the device in settings, you then get a test-the-device screen with "Penultimate" in cursive to trace for practice. Good luck. You can't trace the word without your wrist making the page close. I tried this multiple times with same non-results. In other words, the wrist protection in this key app doesn't work well (even with various settings). This may be an app issue, but it was my first experience with the product, which afterall has Evernote's label on it. Maybe an app update will fix the problem.

The critical issue is that despite the fine point, there is a lack of precision. In simply making marks, say in making a square, it is difficult to get two lines to touch each other at the corners. Similarly in writing, there is an unpredictability between the letters you want to make and those that appear. This is especially true as you try to write smaller characters (normal handwriting size). Letter forms are squashed and somehow turn into illegible lines; the result is terrible looking handwriting. This is true in other apps as well, although I had better results in the Bamboo app, which seems to have some handwriting recognition magic at work.

Maybe the device will work if you develop a new handwriting technique. I haven't had it long or been patient enough to do that. However, as the name suggests, it seems to work better if you write in script or cursive.

In the big picture, this device is far from writing like a pen or pencil on paper. The pen (with different apps) seems to have mind of its own sometimes.

And, no fault of stylus or app, there is a physical distance between the iPad screen surface and the graphic layer on which the image appears. In other words, a real simulation of handwriting is not quite possible with current iPad technology.

Tip noise: This is not a rubber tip, so it taps or makes clicking or ticking sounds on the screen when you write. I think others may find this annoying, say if you are in a meeting or a classroom. It is another reason the device works better with cursive writing.

Drawing: In terms of drawing, the Jot Script has an unique tip, to be sure. It is a plastic, not a rubber tip. It looks like an oversized ballpoint pen tip. The fine point (compared to a rubber tip stylus) gives some feeling of precision, although with the issues noted above, like difficulty in making ends of a line or corners meet.

Form Factor: The stylus is not well balanced. The AAA battery makes the stylus top heavy. It would be better balanced if the weight was in closer to the tip. It feels better holding it upside down. I'm surprised the designers were satisfied with this. (By comparison, all other stylus feel balanced, even if light weight; the Intuos uses a AAAA battery and has the weight toward the tip, where it should be.) Otherwise it's nice looking. The metal is a slightly green-tinted silver, following Evernote's signature green color.

Battery: The tip of this device is not capacitive. So if it is off, it doesn't do anything. Whatever else the battery does (Bluetooth, wrist protection, etc.), it powers the tip. I went through the first and second battery very quickly (two in a couple days), despite auto-off feature. By comparison, other rubber tipped, powered styluses, like the Intuos and 53-Pencil, remain capacitive even when not powered.

Summary: Not worth the high price for a device in what seems like its beta version. I would spend my money first on a 53 Pencil, which is gorgeous, even though the tip is not as pointy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what's with the negative feedback, February 11, 2014
Updated 02/20/14: I received my Adonit Jot Script 02/11/14, took it out of the package, removed plastics and turned it on. I then proceeded to launch and write on all of the apps listed below using my iPad Mini Retina. I must say this thing is Fantastic! I personally did not experience any skipping, lag or disconnect issues as of yet with the apps below. The worst performing app was Paper 53, I found a great amount of lag with it. Initially, Penultimate also displayed lag but I realized I had not set it up in the app settings. Once I registered the Stylus with the Penultimate App it performed much better. This item also works great with all the other apps listed below. I use writing apps everyday to help my son with homework and projecting math equations onto our television using mainly Zamurai, an iPad and an Apple TV. (If you want me to test it out with any other apps not mentioned below, before purchasing it yourself, just comment on this review and I'll try it out so long as the app is Free to about $4.99). I will also note that the Stylus does have a 3 minute auto shut-off feature to preserve battery life, click the button and it turns back on immediately. If you keep the pen tip against the screen in between note taking this seems to circumvent the auto shut-off feature as well.

Writing Apps in order of preference: Noteshelf Free, Notability, Goodnotes and Penultimate
Collaboration/Markup Apps: Skitch, Zamurai, Baiboard HD, Educreations, Sign Now.

Suggestion: My only issue with this pen is that for the price they could have included the magnet that keeps it attached to my iPad. The Adonit Jot Pro has magnets, not sure why it wasn't included in this Evernote Script edition but it really should have been.

Background: In my continuous quest to acquire the best Stylus for use with my iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5s I have purchased quite a few styli. The Applydea Maglus ($32), Spigen Kuel H10 ($12.99), Truglide ($15.95) and the Adonit Jot Pro ($29.99). This one just blew them all out of the game, even the Adonit Jot Pro. I really found the little clear discs annoying after a few months, as I had to replace them often and it would cause superficial scratches on my screen protectors, leading to increased replacement of those as well. However, the Jot Pro was always my "go to" stylus until I received this Jot Script. I'm really hoping it holds up well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, for me anyway, January 27, 2014
I wanted to share a quick review because honestly there's so many mixed experiences on here I don't think it accurately represents my experience with this product. In fact, if I was reading these reviews I might not have purchased the Stylus, which would have been a shame because this is a great product for me. I have no relationship to any company involved, I'm just sharing my experience.

I'm using this to take notes, period. I'm not an artist, and I'm not drawing with it. My review is based entirely on writing notes in notebook type applications, so I cannot speak for drawing with it. I'm using it on an Ipad air with a screen protector (not the Zagg type film, the plastic cheaper type).

This pen is about as close to the S pen on my note 3 as I've experienced. It is truly a great writing experience and feels like paper and pen. I've seen some complaints about the tip being noisy, and it may be BUT, I actually like the sound it makes on the screen and enjoy that audible feedback. It's really only significant to me if I'm printing something anyway, and most of the time I'm taking notes in script, so the pen doesn't leave the screen nearly as often and is far quieter. I can't tell you if the sound will be OK, I can only tell you I like the sound unlike some other reviewers.

I've also seen some people complain about the stylus timing out. I don't know if they have changed the firmware or something, but I really have had no issues at all with the timeout of the pen. Perhaps I just write faster and more often, I don't know. Either way, it has not been a problem for me at all.

The on/off button is blended into the design of the stylus a little too much, in lower light it is a little hard to find the on button. I think they should have made the button a little more distinctive so you can feel the texture or shape a little more. I do think they should improve the on/off button.

I want to clarify something, this works just like a regular stylus when the power is turned on, you don't need a special application to get it to work. You don't even have to have it paired with bluetooth. So if you have a particular application you like, just turn the power on to the stylus and you can use it like any other capacitive stylus, this one just has a much nicer "pen like" tip. I'm not sure that's really clear in the product description or reviews.

When you use the stylus paired with an application though, it gets better at palm rejection. Their software for note taking (penumate) is just OK. I find it picks up my palm too much for my liking and I don't use it. If you based your opinion of the stylus on their application alone, I could see how you might be disappointed. I use either Notes Plus or Good Notes 4. Both of those applications are amazing with this stylus though. If I was going to buy just one note application to use for notes it would probably be Notes Plus, i've just used it the longest and like some of the functionality. However, if I had this stylus and was buying one application KNOWING I would use this product all the time, I would buy good notes 4 because it has amazing palm rejection software when the pen is turned on (it officially recognizes this pen, notes plus does not). Good notes officially recognizes this stylus and rejects your hand and palm when the stylus is on excellently. In Notes Plus you really need to use the "palm rejection barrier" they provide in the application. I'm so used to that barrier that I'm quite efficient using it. However, if I was starting all over again, why not use the better palm rejection software in good notes and never look back, right? There's a very predominant youtube review of this stylus with a french reviewer using good notes. His experience in that video is very similar to mine, very positive.

This device is expensive, so you need to decide if it's worth it to you (the only real reason I deducted a star). I can't make that decision for you, I can only say this device transforms the way I use the iPad for note taking. I can take it anywhere and confidently use my iPad as a pad of paper replacement with this pen. With other stylus (and I have many), I was never confident enough to really ditch the paper completely. I often ended up using paper and transferring notes over to the iPad later. With this stylus, I really don't need or use the paper anymore. I was honestly thinking of getting the note 10.1 tablet just to take digital notes (i have the note 3 phone and know how nice it is to write with the S pen), but with this stylus I can stay with the iPad and it's tablet IOS and be completely productive. I love it.

My advice to readers, you need to try this product before making a judgement. Especially if you've been searching for a note taking solution on the iPad. The negative experiences you see here (and on some youtube reviews) are simply not at all my experience and maybe they won't be yours either.

3.0 out of 5 stars The best stylus for iPad is probably not worth your money., January 22, 2014
Nick Searcy (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
This is one of the first active styluses for iPad. The other, often more highly recommended, stylus is FiftyThree's Paper (the wood-like version I would have purchased was sold out when I bought my Jot Script).

I'm using this on a new iPad mini Retina. In another life, I have used Wacom's active digitizers on true graphics tablets and that is absolutely the best setup for digital writing: you get an accurate, quick response, perfect palm rejection, accurate pressure sensitivity, and a lot of other goodies that I don't have time to write about. It's far better than pen and paper in a lot of ways and my review of the Jot Script inevitably reflects my prior experience with this near-perfect system.

But if you're reading this, you have probably decided that windows and android tablets are not for you (at least I did). Stylus options for iPad have been very bad for a long time. This is a function of the technology (or lack thereof) used in the iPad. iPad's are capacitive multi-touch only. The extra layer required for Wacom's tech isn't included, so any iPad stylus has to work by imitating a meaty human finger. Meaty human fingers are by nature imprecise and styluses are only now beginning to work around that limitation.

Adonit's Jot Script represents an attempt to replicate the awesomeness of Wacom's active digitizers through Apple's finger-meat-only interface. And they actually do an impressive job! This stylus is far better than the rubber-nub styluses that sell for $1-20 here and get surprisingly good reviews. If those are a 4, then this should be a 5. But, truthfully, this is a product that does really well in many aspects but still fails to overcome the flaws of the technology.

Feel: The pen feel's good, like an expensive ink pen.

It's probably fatter than I would like for an ink pen but given that the tip is ~2mm, the girth seems appropriate when using it.

I've never seen a tip like this for iPad styluses. It's hard, softer than glassy or metallic but definitely not rubber. It basically feels like what I imagine a stander roller-ball pen would feel like if I were crazy enough to use one to write on my iPad screen. I'm guessing a few people will be afraid of scratching their screen with it but it's been smooth as butter so far.

The button on the side could have used a lot more attention, though. It feels cheap and is tiny and impossible to find. Also, at one point you're asked to hold the button until an indicator light comes on but pressing the button actually blocks the indicator light.

Function: Adonit gets the basics correct but falls short on almost all of the extras.

All the features work as advertised. You get pressure sensitivity and a fine tip that works in penultimate and a few other apps. It's pretty easy to go from opening the box to writing in a couple minutes.

There's a lot left to be desired, though. The pen automatically shuts itself off after not being used for a period of time. But it's pretty miserly, I didn't time it but I often pause in a meeting or in class and then going back to write only to find that the pen is off. Then, to turn it back on you have to search the pen for the tiny button which is difficult to find by touch alone.

A suggestion to Adonit: use the pressure sensor on the tip for syncing and activating and remove the terrible button. If the someone is pressing on the pen, they are trying to use it. This is when the pen should turn on.

Also, It's hard to believe Adonit didn't include an eraser on back. I really don't know how that can be left out of an active stylus, especially when their top competitor (53's Pencil) includes one.

Writing: Jot Script is accurate but not precise.

If you're unfamiliar with the difference between accurate and precise: Say my weight is 175lbs. An accurate scale might be incorrect but on average it would be right: 150lbs, 180lbs, 187lbs, etc. etc. A precise scale would always give the same measurement, whether incorrect or not: 183lbs, 182lbs,183lbs, etc. etc.

You want a stylus to be both accurate and precise. If you can only have one, you want precision. If the screen reads 3 mm to the right of where my stylus hits but does so consistently, then I can correct for that over time. If the screen reads just 1mm away from my stylus but does so at random, then my writing will just look bad.

The Jot Script is quite precise but (at least mine) is not accurate at all. Mine reads about 2-3mm to the right depending on how much I'm tilting it. I can gradually learn to correct for this but it's especially bad when I lift up my pen and try to put it back down in a specific location. Even worse, this should be an easy fix but there's no way to calibrate the pen.

TLDR: Jot Script is the best iPad stylus by a mile (with the possible exception of 53 Pencil which I have not used). The stylus feels nice but could be a lot better. The metallic tip is good but an adjustment. Adonit dropped the ball on a few extra features (no eraser and annoying power-saving). Most importantly, the stylus is quite precise but mine at least errs to the right 2-3mm. I would recommend this only to someone who absolutely needed an iPad stylus. If you're on the fence, wait until better active styluses are produced or until Apple decides to put Wacom tech in their tablets.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS REVIEW before you read all of the others!, March 4, 2014
If you are in any way like I am when it comes to a purchase, you will probably read a lot of the reviews and base your decision on them. The fact is-- they are the best resource. As I read the reviews concerning the Adonit Script, I began to get discouraged about buying it and wavered as to whether or not it would be a good investment. Then I read a review that gave me confidence to buy. A review much like what I am writing below.

I use my stylus immensely. I really enjoy using it with apps that allow me to mark up and jot notes on PDF's; and for me, it REALLY works best with GoodNotes 4. I have downloaded MANY if not all of the apps that this pen will work with and for the most part they all offer some really groovy features but you will have to determine which works best for you.

Supposed issues:
1. Some suggest that there is a clicking that occurs when using it that may become annoying. I find that it has never been a distraction. In fact, like a phone that gives "haptic feedback"; such as vibration when you touch the keys, it can be a natural experience.
2. Some have claimed that it constantly disconnects. I have found that as you are using the stylus you simply have to remember to keep it close enough to the device you're using it with so that it can communicate. I have left my stylus connected and lying beside the iPad and returned much later to discover that it is still connected. This stylus works GREAT!!!
3. Someone felt that the pen was not balanced!?? This stylus feels VERY natural to use. I think they were just wanting something to write about.
4. Some have complained about the battery being a reason for the unbalanced feel but you will see for yourself that that's not the case. As well, it's great that you can just pop a AAA battery in when it gets low. So far so good with the battery; I'm on week three now and all is well with heavy use.
5. Others have complained about the cap on the battery compartment constantly loosening but I have yet to have it happen to me. In fact, mine has remained very snug through all of the hours of use so far.
6. Some have complained that the sync button was a little too well hidden but that too is a poor assessment. I REALLY like that the button is so discrete. It's not at all a problem to find.

I personally would strongly recommend the Adonit Script because of the things mentioned above and because it feels very much like a pen in hand. The ONLY thing I would like to see them improve is the gripability. It has ridges for grip but a rubber film of sorts would lend tremendously to the overall experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does feel like a pen, April 19, 2014
It is great for handwriting. I was skeptical at first because of the reviews that it scratches the screen, not true. It takes time to get used to it but once you get the hang of it, it feels like a pen and it won't be noisy on the screen. It works great on notability... It looks like my handwriting on a paper. Believe me! I don't write reviews at all but since the negative reviews kept away from buying it, I felt I had to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrifyingly bad. Don't waste your money, June 16, 2014
I love taking handwritten notes, but don't like managing physical paper, so whenever a new technology comes out that utilizes digital ink, I try it - from the first broad-tipped rubber stylii to the Pencil by FiftyThree to the fine-point disc-tipped stylii from Adonit... I've tried them all. The promise of the Jot Script was that I'd get the performance of a fine tip without the fragility of the disc-tipped pens. I was excited to buy my first unit.

What a disappointment! I write very quickly, and the Jot Script was never able to keep up! My handwriting when from flowing to angular, and unreadable. I had to consciously slow-down my handwriting for the Jot Script to accurately reflect the tip-on-the-glass.

Thinking that it was my 3rd generation iPad Retina, whose processor lags behind the current generation iPad, that was causing the poor performance, I tried it on an iPad air, and the performance was exactly the same!

Avoid the Jot Script Evernote stylus until they figure it out. Currently, it's a terrible device, clearly rushed before it was done, and a cynical money-grab from Adonit. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, horrible, big step backward......DO NOT BUY, April 1, 2014
M Gachi (Universal City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
horrible performance. It shuts off too fast and it lags. It is clicky to turn back on and you will miss notes if you are taking notes in a lecture or conference. The button is hard to see. It is a major step back..........

Rate and Discover Movies