4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for-- well, sort of
Published on November 1, 2010 by Wesley D. Headley

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but works
Published on March 4, 2012 by Lebmonk

4.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for-- well, sort of, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Adorama Dedicated Lens Hood for Canon 16-35mm, 20-35mm, 17-35mm, 17-40mm & 10-22mm Lenses EW-83E (Accessory)
This hood is not the same quality as an original Canon, but hey, at this price how can I complain. It lacks the inner mat fabric coating and does not have the same smooth feel as an original Canon when installing or removing it. That said, it does the job, it's not ugly, and it's pretty darn cheap. Unless you must have Canon, this will perform as advertised, although it remains to be seen whether or not it will last as long as an original Canon version.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is cheap, but it works for the most part just fine., February 6, 2011
You (like me) are only looking at buying this hood instead of the official Canon one because you can't understand how a piece of plastic can be $50+ after you just spent a small fortunate on your lenses.

Well, this lens hood fits just fine (you are probably sticking it on your Canon 10-22?), it is cheaply made in that the threaded portion that locks on to the lens and the locking mechanism that clicks into place don't look well constructed and don't feel that great but they go on fine (with some fidgeting) and will stay on and do their job blocking light.

If you just bought an L-lens though, don't use this, go spend the money on the official Canon lens hood. They fit better, are built better and will compliment that lens a bit more.

So in short, this gets the job done, but definitely seems like a value-hood. In my case, that was just fine, so I'm happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EW-83E lens hood, July 29, 2010
Kahana (Fresno, CA) - See all my reviews
This lens hood fits perfectly and works good. It's rather large but that's what it takes. I just reverse it and leave it on the lens when I put the lens in my case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but works, March 4, 2012
I recently acquired the amazing EF-S 10-22mm. On a couple of occasions I noticed some flare so I decided to get the hood, but mostly to offer the lens extra protection. I was very reluctant to dish out over 30$ for the OEM Canon hood (as most of you reading this would be). The Opteka and Fotodiox alternatives seemed too cheap, so i went for this Adorama version. It feels flimsy and both the material and build quality are cheap but i'm not complaining it only cost 10$. Now keep in mind that it is a wide hood. It fits on 77mm wide-angle lenses, so by design it has to be wide. I measured 11.2 cm in diameter. I uploaded pictures for you to see. The lens would not fit in my bag with the hood on, but that's not really the hood's fault. One reviewer mentioned that he managed to attach it in reverse. I tried, and I had to twist REALLY HARD. It finally went in, but I wouldn't do it again. The regular forward fit is looser as a result, and I am not comfortable applying this much torsion on my expensive lens. It's disappointing that it doesn't easily fit in reverse, but even if it did, the lens still wouldn't fit in my bag compartment with the hood attached in reverse so there's no point wrestling with it every time.

Will it do its job of preventing flare and protecting your expensive lens? Yes.
Is it a better deal than the original Canon? Yes.
Is it a better deal than the cheaper Opteka and Fotodiox? I don't know.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, September 23, 2011
I had it on the 10-22 mm lens. It fits fine and does its job. No particular issues encountered. Happy with its price.

3.0 out of 5 stars It will do..., June 18, 2011
Purchased this lens hood for a Canon EF-S 10-22 mm lens since it was considerably cheaper that the Canon brand hood. The appearance is fine and the plastic material is comparable to the branded product. The fit, however, isn't as good as I had expected. It is very tight and it has to be forced onto the lens. Overall, it's likely fine for what it's used for though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hood... functional, saves $$, and essentially as effective as Canon version, June 18, 2011
Brian (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens hood to put on my Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM SLR Lens for EOS Digital SLRs. It fits on there okay. The fit on the lens isn't especially impressive, but I can't see any reason why it would be less effective at blocking stray light than the Canon branded hood. The one thing that it likely loses to the Canon hood on is build quality (to be expected) and the likelihood of it being able to protect your lens as well if you were to drop it accidentally or get hit by an object with it mounted. Although it would be nicer to have that added confidence, most of us aren't likely to drop our camera/lens/hood, although your likelihood of getting into a situation where an object might hit you/your camera setup will vary. Even if you did drop it or get hit with an object, my guess is that this hood should still stand a decent chance of protecting your lens, but if this is a concern for you, get the Canon-branded version for peace of mind.

I primarily bought this hood for the purpose of protecting it from stray beams of light, and improving my image quality in daylight, and for those purposes, it does its job very effectively at a worthwhile cost-savings over its branded counterpart. I can't say I'm "thrilled" with it, but it's like that old saying, "close enough for government work". :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Fits very tightly to the lens and too matte, April 25, 2013
Does the job of blocking light but there are two thing I dislike:

1- The finishing is very matte. Looks like it doesn't belong to the lens.
2- It's too tight, very hard to put in and remove. I feel like you can damage the lens by putting so much force into it.

I'm experiences with cameras and lenses so I know this is not suppose to be this tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, April 13, 2013
Perfect low cost replacement for the original! Make sure you buy a "dedicated Lens hood" and NOT a "TULIP FLOWER LENS HOOD". From what I have seen TULIP FLOWER LENS HOODs" screw into the filter threads so you can not use filters.
"dedicated Lens hoods" fit the same as the originals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Adorama's hood, March 6, 2013
The lens hood works great for what I use it for. The only downfall I have noticed about this product is that it can sometimes be a little tricky too screw on and can come off fairly easy. Also if you try to put it on in reverse to store it with the lens, it will not attach.

Rate and Discover Movies