Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on January 12, 2010

I ordered another one because I liked the sturdy quality... and I wanted to keep the look of the rig symmetrical. (Check out the pictures.)

This second L-Bracket was in much better quality (see my original review below). The glue job on this one was top notch clean. I looks great. The 2 brackets combined makes the whole rig look really good and the setup is very secure. I like! Now 5 Stars. (and Adorama has been great for all my other orders/items as well...)

I just recieved the L-Bracket today in hopes of using it w/ my Canon HF-S100 and the Rhode VideoMic. Well... almost.

Build Quality - billed as "Heavy Duty", well maybe.
* The metal "L" feels substantial/sturdy and is flex resistant.
* The shoe mounts are also metal/steel of the same sturdy quality.
* The rubber guide pad surrounding the section where the mounting screw slides seems adequate, but the glue job during attachment looks sloppy. It'll do its job to buffer between the bracket and your equipment, but QA should have been done better to make it more professional finish quality.
* The mounting screw-nob feels a bit on the "cheap plastic" side - the nob itself. The screw is metal (of course) and seems to have enough thread to screw securely into any photo/video device, about 3/8" of thread available. Mine came "attached" within the guide, unlike the product picture, and does not feel like it can be removed without using some force.
* The rubber grip exhibits the same poor glue job as the rubber guide pad. Glue is clearly visible along the seam with some overflow that looks like someone tried to wipe it off! The grip itself is substantial and has a nice hard rubber touch.

Form - simple design, perfect execution, for specific sizes!
* Most important measurement for video camera use: From inside of the grip to the center of the mounting screw at the furthest setting, maximum distance is 4" in length. So, open your LCD screen on your camcorder, measure from the bottom/outer most edge of the screen bezel to the center of your mounting hole... if your are under 4" then your good to go, otherwise, S.O.L!
* The horizontal bar is about 4.5" in length from elbow to end and 1" wide. (Not accounting for the rubber grip which shortens it by about 1/4".)
* The rubber guide pad glued onto the horizontal bar is 3 1/8" in length and also 1" wide and about 1/8" thick.
* The bend between the horizontal & vertical bar seems to be between 95 to 98-degrees, maybe even 100-degrees?
* The vertical bar is 4" from elbow to the slight bend where the first/vertical shoe mount is located. (The grip itself is about 3 3/4" in length.)
* The shoe mount sections are both about 1" in length. (The first/vertical shoe mount section bends "straight" to a 90-degree angle from horizontal.)

Fit & Function - if it fits, it will function!
* Canon HF-S100... Nope! (.com for you KROQ fans!) If you mount it with the vertical grip on the LCD side you won't be able to open the screen all the way. I have to angle the bracket forward to allow the LCD screen to flip open to its full extension. If you mount it the other direction with the vertical grip on the hand-strap side of the Camcorder, you won't be able to fit your hand through the strap without cramming a couple of fingers - you need to angle it here too! The best way to use this L-Bracket with the Canon HF-S100 is to mount it to a Tri/Monopod with the vertical grip on the hand-strap side and forget handholding the camera.
* Nikon D40... it works/fits in all directions, but i'm not sure why would I ever need it for the D40? Extra lighting maybe???
* Canon PowerShot SD780 IS... Yes, of course! This camera is too small for me, but perfect for my wife, and fits perfectly on the bracket. The bracket actually made it easier for me to handle, especially when taking video. (Look for my review of that camera here as well.)

If you looking for a sturdy L-bracket w/ 2 shoe mounts and have a camera that fits the dimensions, then this will do the job. Maybe you'll be lucky to get one that does not have a poor glue job like mine.

Even though it does NOT fit my HF-S100, I'm still going to keep it and mount it on a tri/monopod facing the strap direction - it'll serve its purpose of holding my accessories and balance out the camcorder on the opposit side of the LCD screen when it's flipped open. (I was prepared to accept this alternative...)
review image review image review image review image review image
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
This is a cheap product and cheap come with worthless. The hotshoe fell off when I had the microphone on it. The hotshoes aren't welded/screwed into the frame. It just sit on top of the frame with three tiny rivets type or pins to hold it down. Very week. It's useless for me right now. Unless you have a weld to weld it togther to make it work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2010
Buyer Beware! I bought this one from "Digi Acc." And they sent me the Generic "King Best" model, NOT the "Adorama" model, this one seems to be constructed with less quality than the "Adorama" model. It's going back immediately!!!
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I hope that the unit I received was just an erroneous one.

Upon arrival, the hotshoes weren't fastened down completely, which was a little worrisome. But as this was my first L-bracket, I thought maybe that's how they all were. I mounted my light on the top one, and was convinced that there's no way the hotshoe should have any wiggle room. So I started using the other one, which suffered from the same issue, but didn't have as much room to wiggle. I put it in my bag, and the next time I took it out, the side hotshoe was completely detached from the main bracket. Wow, that was fast.

So I was in a pinch (and traveling), so I decided to use the aforementioned top shoe instead. That one lasted about 5 minutes before two of the screws came out. After a long struggle, I was able to free my light from the shoe, but in the process the other screw came out. I now have an L bracket with no useable shoes.

I went to a local store and bought one there for $20. No issues since.
on March 14, 2011
Like others on here, mine came with the hotshoes "screwed" on with screws in holes that were too big, making the mounts fall out extremely easily. Had to JB Weld the mounts to the bracket to hold them on,
on October 30, 2009
This Bracket is a good option for the price, it is light and easy to install on the camera.
has two shoes for the flash.
cons. you need to take off the flash every time that you want to take pictures vertically, if you want to bounce the flash.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2010
I went through a similar issue that others have questioned or found with this product when I ordered this bracket (not my first issue buying from Adorama) only I'm not even sure off hand what brand they sent me (I put the package in the trash). I was looking forward to getting this bracket after looking and reading Daddy V's review and a few others on Amazon but it would seem I got some cheap third rate unit. I called and got the run around that the model's change from time to time without notice so it was hard to return it without paying for shipping twice. Needless to say, after looking at a bunch of these I seem to have an [...] bracket that in the end cost me $20 plus.

I also noticed that my original review (and photos) are not posted on here after I placed them back in June of 2010. So I will add what is missing from a review about an "order with a product" start to finnish. I'm giving "1" star for the overall process with this product since I did receive a bracket. "2" Stars for this off brand bracket because the bottom screw is iffy at best and only the bracket (damaged clips) is built like described. The clips that hold a mic or small light were damaged so nice craftsmanship there on build quality. I fixed the clips since I happen to have a small tool that could pry them back up without any damage. This came from the factory that way because the package was in good shape but not sealed, staples were used so I can't tell if it was a return in new packaging. Last, "5" Stars to get me to buy from B&H Photo from now on or just look elsewhere for a better product. This leads to overall experience with said product which clearly to me wasn't the correct product but if Adorama insists it was, then I have to review it as so.

Why not return the unit? Shipping cost and again after a few calls with the reply of stock changing so does form, one can't prove it's not said bracket even though it's clearly made by someone else. Save your money and buy a different brand or look at other established vendors as they have a ton of brackets that can surely fit anyone's needs from trivial to complex camera systems. If I actually bought an $8 bracket, didn't get charged for shipping a few things said would be, hey, it's an $8 bracket, someone did make it and you get what you pay for. That would be spot on.

For an update: I hope this part finds folks well as I have the bracket placed behind the battery (I have the largest battery) and not to the side since the bracket won't fit to the left because of the screen of my Canon HF-S21. Having the bracket on the right is ok but you can't hold the video recorder itself. You would need to hold the bracket and with the less than well made bracket screw I don't trust almost $2000 of gear to it. So by having the bracket wrap up and over the back of the video camera, I can hold the camera, use the LCD without struggle and last, if you have (like me) the wide angle lens on your camera, this gives the whole unit a nice balance when using a large mic (I have the Rode mic mounted on top zooming over the camera). The only down fall to this system is if you need to use a light and a mic on your unit. I'm lucky as I don't but if I did I could place one on my camera shoe and get by that way. I will try to post some photo's of this setup once again to give some idea for mounting options.
review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2009
I needed this to hold my shotgun microphone. It does just that. I really enjoy the quality of it. It is strong metal, and will last for a long time.
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2011
Excellent product. Because there are very few times I want to use a flash, I don't want it on the camera and I don't want to be lugging the bigger brackets I already own around with me.

The two other brackets I already own are over $120 each and are huge and heavy. This bracket is the perfect alternative, because it is light and small. It remains tight against my 5D Mark II and it performs perfectly.

Excellent purchase. I highly recommend this product.
on August 17, 2010
The small screws that hold each shoe mount onto the bracket are not set flush and cannot be screwed flush. As a result, some equipment shoes will not fit in the opening.

Also, when the bottom screw is tightened into the camera's tripod mount, the handle is not fixed in place. It rotates, which is not what you want in a camera handle.