Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on June 10, 2011
Having now ordered three of these mats, I see why the reviews are vastly different: the mats are vastly different.

I ordered my first TriFold mat here on Amazon in January 2011. I was pleasantly surprised: the foam was semi-firm yet comfortable; the outer covering, although lacking a zipper, was a heavy canvas material, the stitching was nice, and the three segments both folded and unfolded together nicely (a nice, tight fit).

Six months later, I decided I'd like two or three more of these for my loft, my office, camping. Having been burnt on Amazon before by companies who, for whatever reason, change their materials and entire design but do not update their Amazon ads, I proceeded with caution and ordered only one additional mat.

This second mat arrived June 7, 2011. The first thing I thought when I touched the mat was "they sent the wrong item." I looked though, and this mat was marked as being the same product. Yet, this second mat had an outer covering that was a thin, stretchy cotton (vs the original thicker canvas material). The actual padding inside was stiff--as stiff as that foam they pack around LCD monitors. Yes, we're talking crazy stiff. However, this TriFold mat had a zipper: three zippers, in fact; one for each of the three pads. Okay, I had to admit zippers were nice, and perhaps the outer covering had to be "stretchy" so the foam pieces could be removed (in order to wash the covering). But this TriFold was significantly different from the one I ordered in January. Did zippers really cost so much that the manufacturer had to reduce a nice mat to something I wouldn't pay $20 for?

I called Amazon about a return. The fellow I talked to was very pleasant. He suggested the company might have several different TriFold mats, and perhaps the packer inadvertently slipped the wrong mat into the package. The Amazon rep suggested I allow them to send a replacement mat to try. I agreed.

The replacement mat arrived June 9, 2011. To my disappointment, it still had the horrible thin, stretchy outer covering. To my surprise, the foam material inside was vastly different from the material in the mat I received only two days earlier. The foam in the mat from June 7 was so firm I could barely compress it between my index and thumb (with the outer covering off); the foam in this mat from June 9 was so squishy I could totally collapse it between index and thumb. Not only did the foam feel different, it looked different, and it was a slightly different thickness. I also noticed that the tags on each mat were labeled "prototype" and contained a code for that prototype. Prototype? Really?

Then I realized what this company was doing: they were using scrap filler material. What genius! Yes, make an outer covering with zippers and then stuff that material with whatever foam scraps were left over from other manufacturers (or their own manufacturing processes). That should make for a winning product! Ummm . . . no.

This stroke of manufacturing genius reminded me of another company (or perhaps the same company?) who took waste foam--yes, actual waste with debris from the floor--and stuffed it into their bean bags. These bean bags came to fondly be known by those who bought them as "trash bags." And so, I'd spent over $80 on a "trash mat" to compliment my hideously expensive "trash bag."

In short, I'd suggest saying "no" to American Furniture Alliance and its furniture debris. Both mats from June are going back.

So why did I even bother giving this product two stars? Well, the first mat was at least a four star product. It was a mat I would recommend to a friend. The second two mats, however, deserved one star each. If I average the four, the one, and the one, I get a two. This product is a two star product.

I took some photos of the two mats from June, and I will post the images when I have time. Unfortunately, I did not have the first mat in my house to photograph side-by-side with these two inferior mats. I will, however, take photos of it individually and post it for reference.

What would I recommend? Are you feeling lucky? Are you really? Do you know what a pain it is to haul two TriFold mats to UPS for return? Okay, so you're not feeling lucky? Then drop by your Costco and buy an equally inferior mat for half the price. Or find a nice furniture store and buy a quality mat, even if you must drop a Benjamin or two on it.

If someone could assure me I'd receive the same mat I ordered in January, I'd honestly buy several more. Having just gone through two duds though (and the hassle of two returns), I think I'll cut my losses and drive to a local furniture store for my next mat.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 30, 2009
Simply the best purchase I have ever made! For anyone who wants a quick and comfortable sleeping mat, this is for you. It is a firm mat so if you like air mattresses the tri-fold may take some getting use to. It is more like a futon used by the Japanese. It is well made and light to carry. It is great for anyone who needs support for back problems or someone who is limited in space.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2009
It doesn't show up on the Costco website (item number 354567) but you can get a 77"x36" Hide-A-Bed for $42. They've carried this item in many colors for years. Look in the camping section by the tents.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 19, 2009
Nice trifold. Comfortable to use. Hard to clean though since the cover is not removable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 18, 2011
I don't usually write reviews, but after last night I had to. I found this mattress at Amazon a few weeks ago and read through the comments. They just opened a Costco in my town (but I'm not a member), so I asked someone to check it out for me. They brought it back to me today. $47 and it comes with a very nice carrying bag (that I will use to store blankets in).

I was a little shocked at how thin it was. I have been sleeping on an exercise platform/table for the last few months (I sleep at work) and it is as hard as a rock. I brought in my fold-out mattress/chair that I had in my van, but it is a kid's item I picked up at a second hand store and is pretty worn. The cushions on it are depressed from me sleeping on it every night and it is very uncomfortable.

When I got my new tri-fold, I tossed the other mattress aside and quickly covered the new one with a regular sheet and piled on my blankets (the blankets cover me, there is nothing between the mattress and me except for the sheet). When I laid down on it I was shocked. IT IS REALLY FIRM. Then suddenly it seems to go soft. Like you are laying on a cloud or something. I can't really explain it.

Last night was the absolute best night of sleep I have had since sleeping on a regular bed. Better, since all I could think was "this thing was less than $50!" I've been up and down several times and every time I lay down the same thing happens. It first feels like you are lying on a hard surface, then suddenly it feels like a soft mattress. It is really great.

I will be using this in my van when I go on vacation in a few months. Nothing like stealth parking in your favorite vacation spot to keep costs down. If something changes I will post an update.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My wife and I do occasional camping. We have a three-person tent and usually stay in campgrounds accessible by car. We had a couple thin sleeping pads but my wife always thought they were uncomfortable. Then she spotted these foldable mats and suggested that we get a couple. She added that we could also use them as beds when we get visitors to our small house which lacks a guest room.

We've gone camping with them twice now. They're very bulky and take up a lot of space in the car, but we have a Honda Element SUV and they fit. They're very large for a tent also. When spread out, the two of them take almost all the floor space in a three-person tent, but they fit. As for sleeping, they provide an excellent surface. My wife says they're the best tent mattresses she has ever slept on, despite the difficulties. I agree.

We've recently had guests stay at the house. With a single guest, we doubled up both pads and they provided an excellent sleeping surface. With two people, each slept on a single mat, The reports were that the single mat was rather firm, but worked well. At least, it was a lot better than checking in at a local motel.

All in all, we're satisfied with the mats and think we'll get a lot of use out of them. They're very bulky and are difficult to store, either in the garage or in the back of the car during transport.

Gary Peterson
on June 4, 2008
the seller was fine in their shipping, but the item was cheaply made and way overpriced for that material.
i do not recommend this item. Ikea has a far better range of such items.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2011
I was leery about this mat at first but looks are deceiving. I am a massage therapist who massages special needs people and a few of my clients can't transfer to a normal massage table so I had to get some sort of floor mat that was soft enough for them to lay on comfortably while I was working on them. When I first saw this one up close, I wasn't sure if it was going to be padded enough or made well enough for me to use on a weekly basis. When I tried it out for the first time, I was very impressed with its padding and material. The only thing that would have made this item perfect would be if it had a Velcro strap holding it together when it's not in use, other than that IT'S A GREAT BUY! I also received it within three days of ordering so for all of that, I give it FIVE STARS!
on June 2, 2011
I bought this mat to use in my truck bed when I go camping in my Sportz TruckTent. It works well enough, but man is it ever hard. I guess it has to be because it's only 3 inches thick. It's better than sleeping on the bare truck bed, better than sleeping on the ground, better than my air mattress because it won't pop, but I'll need to get a soft pad for the top of it to get a good nights sleep.
on May 22, 2012
We ordered this mat as a replacement for something similar we had used for years that was starting to sag in the middle. This mat was extremely firm/hard/dense and was not at all comfortable to sleep on. It reminded me of the coconut husk mat I slept on in India years ago - or didn't sleep on, as sleep is nearly impossible on something this uncomfortable! Decided to buy a made-to-order tri-fold futon from The Futon Shop instead. It costs 3x as much, but we're very pleased with it.