Published on May 30, 2011 by Ravish

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair
Fair enough. But the actual GMAT is way easier than this book. You might be investing too much time in quant section if you study with this book.
Published on January 26, 2012 by Reny Woo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you a better fighter and a smarter fighter, but does not teach you how to fight, May 30, 2011
Before I elaborate on the 'What the heck?' title of my review - skip to the 6th paragraph if you only want to read my review of the book as the first 5 paragraphs are me explaining, albeit in a more profound way, what you may already know about the GMAT; if you want to cut to the chase - it's a fantastic book but I deduct one star because it contains a few errors here and there.

So about the subject of the review - One of the most appropriate analogies that I have heard regarding the GMAT is that 'prepare for the GMAT as you would prepare for a boxing match' - you know you are fighting a very accomplished opponent , you do not have a clue about what kind of punches that opponent will throw at you but ,if you truly want to beat that opponent, you can very well prepare well enough to be able to anticipate what type of punches that opponent will throw at you and counter those punches when they do come.

I am a GMAT retaker - a quick summary of what my standing was prior to my taking the GMAT the last time:
1) I could easily solve at least 95% of all Official Guide (OG) problems
2) On the 2 GMAT Prep tests, I scored a 710 and a 730 respectively
3) Aside from the OG, I practiced over a 1000 questions from pretty much every well known resource out there

Yet, I bombed the actual GMAT when I took it

Don't let my example frighten you - the exam is very beatable (25,000+ people score in excess of 700 each year right?). Aside from the primary mistake, which I am going to elaborate on in this review , I also didn't sleep much before the exam and , on top of that, drove over an hour through traffic infested San Francisco, thereby already stressing out my mind before even sitting down for the test. So yeah, for starters, get some sleep and book your test date early so you don't have to drive 50 miles to nearest test center that has a slot available at your preferred date/time.

In my case, the results documented in Point # 2 were an anomaly (I still believe that the GMAT prep tests are the most accurate indicator of how you will perform on the actual test), but points 1 and 3 , if not carried out correctly, represent classic mistakes that test takers make over the course of their practice. The mistake I speak off is believing that 'the harder you work, the better will be your results'. Now don't get me wrong, I am not recommending you ignore that very true principle (far from it), rather, I am recommending that, in the case of the GMAT, you slightly modify that statement to 'the smarter you work, the better will be your results' - this is where 'Advanced GMAT Quant' comes in.

As 2 of the more famous people in the GMAT world (BB and Dana) have pointed out in the reviews before mine, 'Advanced GMAT Quant' is for you if you fall in to ALL of the below categories:

- You are consistently scoring in at least the 70th percentile but are finding it hard to crack into the 90th percentile (aka you already a good fighter).
- You have gone over all 5 of the Manhattan Quant supplements INCLUDING the advanced sections and are comfortable with the material taught in those guides
- You realize that it is better to have more than 1 strategy in your repertoire to solve each question type
- You are prepared to forget(only for the GMAT of course)everything your teacher taught you about solving questions the mechanical way or , as Manhattan puts it - 'a quick and dirty method that is not theoretically elegant'.

I know a host of GMAT takers who studied no more than 2 weeks and scored 700+ and also know a host of test takers who studied many months and did not go past 650. What differentiates the 2 is that the former group of people , put simply, just got 'it'. By 'It' i mean that, those test takers understood that the GMAT operates on a fixed template and there is only so much manipulation the GMAC can do, meaning that if you understand how the GMAT works, i.e. you are prudent about the common traps (damn you inequalities!), know how to filter out the right information and basically understand what is being tested, you are very likely to succeed on this test. Of course there is the small matter of actually knowing all the topics and their concepts but that part is self explanatory and , moreover, is not the purpose of this book; this book teaches you how to master the 3 examples I just listed out regarding the GMAT template. So if you are picking up this book without knowing properties such as '3 consecutive integers are always divisible by 3' or the '1-x probability theory', you will find this book extremely challenging as the writing style of this book is such that, it assumes you know pretty much all the general theories that are covered in the manhattan quant guides.

As this book correctly points out, the more complex problems do not necessarily require advanced computing , rather, the test makers just twist around the information making it very challenging to understand the problem at first glance (remember the test makers understand that all problems should be solved within 2 minutes and a majority of GMAT test takers may have had minimal to no exposure to 'advanced math')

What this book does teach you are concepts such as 'how to eliminate answer choices just by looking at the information provided and comparing that to the answer choices. A simple example is that 'if the question asks 'If Y is a positive integer, what is the value of (-y)(y) and there are 3 positive answer choices and 2 negative answer choices, after going through this book, you will not be scared to eliminate all the positive answer choices before even beginning to solve the problem as you know that whatever the answer, it has to be negative.

I think Dana and BB did a fine job of listing out the Pro's of this book so I will focus on some of the weaker points of this book:

1) Errors - The only reason why I deducted 1 star. Having diligently studied 40% of the book, (will edit my review should my opinion change after fully completing the book) there are some errors that are downright dangerous and provide the incorrect information. A few that stand out are:

Pg: 83 #7 - IS M not equal to 0 , is m^3 > m^2 - An experienced test taker such as myself can understand that, Manhattan meant to say 'IF M not equal to 0' but it may confuse other test takers on what the question is asking for.

Pg 86 #3 - Wrong answer choice is circled - This is redeemed by the fact that the answer explanation shows 'D' to be the correct answer but it broke my heart for a second when I saw the answer to that seriously complex problem that I solve was circled as 'A'

Pg 106 Try-it #4-9 - This one is downright dangerous - it's a data sufficiency question that shows (1) to be a^2 = b^2 but , when you see the explanation, the correct information was a = b^2.

2) Be careful as some of the strategies used in this book may subconsciously make you unlearn the direct safe approach that should always be used as the first line of attack. The book does highlight the safe approaches but embracing the plan B 'dirty' approaches may unsettle your understanding of the fundamentals if you consistently keep practicing the plan B approaches.

So far, I have not found any of these errors to be 'deal breakers' because the answer explanations make you realize the original mistakes but , initially, those errors can be frustrating.

To summarize, this is a fantastic book for those of you who are comfortable with the concepts for all Quant topics tested on the GMAT but are having trouble applying these concepts to the more challenging problems. After diligently studying this book, you will be less fearful of employing tactics such as 'eliminating answer choices before even beginning to solve the problem, using approaches that your math teacher would have given you a 0 for if you tried those tactics in high school, able to recognize patterns allowing you to dissect the question to get to the relevant information (gmat template)etc. There are some errors but , so far, none of them are detrimental enough to over ride what is otherwise a fantastic, unique book that , mostly successfully, tries to get you to understand how to crack the 'GMAT code'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Necessary for a Top Score, September 23, 2011
I purchased this book two weeks before my exam and subsequently scored a 750 (50Q/41V). I used the Kaplan Premiere and Kaplan 800 books for the initial portion of my study, as well as the GMAT Verbal and GMAT Quant Review books. While these books helped me get used to the format of the exam and even prepared me for difficult verbal questions, I found them to be too easy in the math sections. Even the Kaplan 800 was a breeze -- I could complete the entire book without missing a single quant question. The Manhattan GMAT Quant review, on the other hand, was a great challenge. The problems were thought provoking and significantly different from anything I had seen in my other books. If I had not completed this book before the exam, I would have been stumped on many of the more difficult quant questions and unable to solve them in under 2 mins. This book is an absolute MUST for anyone aiming for the 750-800 range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow - it is hard but perhaps too hard?, May 25, 2011
I am the founder of GMAT Club, online GMAT community and finally I have one of the first copies of the book in my hands (after pre-ordering it back in October 2010)! I have spent the evening going through it in quite a bit of detail and here are my thoughts:

I got 49 on my quant but at first, I was not very comfortable with questions but as I got to know the book, it is actually very manageable. (and not so intimidating). I am giving it 5 stars for the effort and content; there are weaknesses, but they may not be relevant to you. The book is deisnged for someone who has already covered the 5 MGMAT Math books and/or is scoring above Q44 (70th percentile). That's actually the qualifications outlined on the second page of the book and I strongly agree - do not attempt this book/questions before you have become comfortable with math basics and are at a good level.

~~~~ Book Overview ~~~~
The book consists of 9 chapters:
0. Introduction (they even start numbering chapters at zero)[3g, 0e]
1. Problem Solving Principles [4g, 5e]
2. Problem Solving Strategies & Tactics [12g, 14e]
3. Data Sufficiency Principles - this is a very helpful section as DS resources are few and in between [6, 9e]
4. Data Sufficiency Strategy & Tactics [16g, 15e]
5. Pattern Questions (these are progressions/etc)[8g, 15e]
6. Common Terms & Quadratic Templates [5g, 28e]
7. Visul Solutions (Geometry, Statistics, Tables, Charts, etc) [14g, 10e]
8. Hybrid Problems [4g, 10e]
9. Workout Sets (150 GMAT-style questions)

[3g, 0e] stands for 3 GMAT-like questions and 0 exercises
Total GMAT-style questions: 150 in the sets + 72 in the examples
Total exercises: 106

~~~~ Pros ~~~~
- Very innovative approach to DS questions (emphasizes consistent approach and involves rephrasing)
- Designed as a class, teaching you through different questions
- Many new (advanced and innovative) strategies for PS and DS
- I like that the PS and DS sections are addressed separately as it is important to distinguish them even though they may cover the same material
- Step by step review of questions in the book as you move along
- Super-detailed explanations
- Comes with an online Question bank
- 150 GMAT-like questions in the back (uncommon for MGMAT since they most often utilize the questions in the OG)

~~~~ Cons ~~~~
- Many question types are mixed together (I found it a bit distracting since I am a single-tasker but it may work for you)
- Guessing strategies (this never works for me). I appreciate another, more advanced approach, but I never seem to be able to use them. I just choose to guess and move on
- Some chapters such as #6 are very short (could we have split others perhaps?)
- Some questions are perhaps too hard? (such as the first three that are clearly there to give you a "reality check")
- No listing of additional OG questions to practice with (would be good to revisit them even if they were covered in the other 5 guides)
- In the chapters, the fractions are written in short hand (1/3) - kind of surprising
- No cheat sheets for things to be memorize (I believe one should know squares, primes, etc)

I guess if you are wondering whether it will face the fate of Kaplan GMAT 800, I would say not quite. Unlike that book, here you will find a number of strategies structured very well in a flow of a book rather than a collection of hard questions.

~~~~ My Suggestions ~~~~
- Read explanations to every question. Even if you got a question right, it does not mean, yo solved it correctly (that is you used the correct approach or found all the shortcusts). You will be surpised sometimes and will pick helpful tips even from explanations of questions you got right
- Follow the actual strategies (DUH). You bougth the book because of them. Yes, there are questions, but the value is in the strategies. Don't just take the fish - go for the fishing pole
- IF you are not comfortable with something and the book does not cover it, don't just glance over it and move on - research and investigate. Get the book or someone to explain to you the missing components
- Memorize the common math elements such as primes, squares up till 20. E.g. what is 15*15? or square root of 3 is approximately how much? 2 to the power of 5 is?

This is it so far. I will edit the review as I continue to discover new elements in this book.
Good luck on your GMAT!
BB, Founder of GMAT Club
GMAT 750 (q49, v 42)

P.S. Let me know if any questions - I reply to comments!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every question you dreaded seeing, December 17, 2012
I'll preface this by saying that unlike some of the reviewers, I'm not a GMAT expert. I spent about 3 months studying for the GMAT, all through independent study. I would describe myself as having been a very good math student in high school and early college, but I'm not a real "math person," and quant doesn't come naturally to me.

I started studying with the basic Kaplan book, the Official Guide quant book, and some online resources (Platinum GMAT, etc.) After about 2 and a half months of studying, I was doing okay, but quant still scared me. I saw quant problems in three categories: Problems I knew how to do, problems I almost knew how to do, and problems that were terrifying. Being relatively math-literate, I found that most problems fell into the first two categories, but I was still getting tripped up on that third category.

Like one reviewer said, yes, this book is way harder than the actual GMAT, and if you're only concerned about learning to solve consistently the 95% of questions that aren't terrifying, this book is not for you. What I will say is that two weeks using this book took me from feeling scared about the GMAT to feeling like I could probably handle anything it threw at me, because I had already looked into the depths of the worst problems, and I had learned how to solve them.

Using mostly this book, I went from approximately a 61st - 68th percentile in quant (Kaplan practice tests) to a 78th percentile (48) on the real thing. I probably could have scored better if I'd paced myself differently--amazingly, after failing to finish the last question on every practice test, I ended up having 8 minutes to spare on test day! While it wasn't a perfect quant score, it was enough to get me to a 770 overall (yes, I'm a verbal person).

I don't know how much of my final score I can credit to this book, but I can definitely credit a good chunk of my test day confidence to it, and that mattered a lot to me. I recommend this book to anyone who's worrying about THOSE problems and wants to know how anyone actually solves them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, January 26, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!!, June 13, 2011
What's new - another quality product from MGMAT!

There is nothing much to add -- just read the superbly written reviews for this product from the other reviewers (also amazon verified purchases) that explain in detail what this book is all about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Frustrating to Read, February 9, 2014
This review is from: Advanced GMAT Quant (Kindle Edition)
I hated this book. I bought it after finishing Princeton Review's Cracking the GMAT, hoping that it would help me improve my quant score, but the way it was written was infuriating. The tone is weirdly condescending, like they're trying to explain really complicated data sufficiency problems to a 5-year-old with the use of stories and imagery (bloodhound vs. detective, anyone?), but they don't do it very well. The math in it was much harder than the PR book, so I put it aside for a while and went through the Kaplan Premier book first. That book improved my score sufficiently, so I thought I might be ready for Manhattan's Advanced GMAT Quant again. I got through two chapters and again found the writing so terrible and unnecessarily complicated that I had no desire to continue on. I decided to go ahead and take the GMAT and then tackle the Manhattan book again if I felt like I needed to improve my score.

I got a 740 on the GMAT (47q, 45v) with no help from Manhattan. I know there's room for improvement in my quant score, but not so much that I would care to retake the test or try to read that terrible book.

5.0 out of 5 stars High-end questions!, October 11, 2013
This review is from: Advanced GMAT Quant (Kindle Edition)
I'd recommend this book to an individual who aims for 90+ in quant.
The level of questions is pretty high-end. I was able to learn a lot from this book. The strategies and tactics were pretty helpful. One can find these strategies and tactics in books from Veritas Prep and Kaplan, but this book introduces them in organised manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, September 13, 2013
Praveen Kumar (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Advanced GMAT Quant (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book as a gift for my son you was preparing for Gmat. He found it very useful

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, July 21, 2013
I love this book. Had changed my prospective on how to answer the questions quickly. I highly recommend it anymore looking to score high in GMAT quant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›