Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on July 10, 2007
First and foremost, this exceptional book is not a "one stop reference"; thats an idea that people often look for in a book, that probably doesn't really exist. Quality books should be added to your library, taken for what they are and what they offer, and compared to other similar books to create a bigger picture or understanding as it applies to you...there is no single perfect "way" when it comes to nutrition, much like training for your chosen sport. This book is no exception, it is well researched and exceptionally useful, written by an author that applies what he knows to Olympic athletes. As a strength athlete most interested in powerlifting and strongman types of lifting and competition, the chapters referring to this type of training directly are limited and mostly bunched up with wrestlers, etc. under "power athletes", so it isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it still fits the bill in alot of ways as the info is there just not set out by itself under that title. Advanced Sports Nutrition covers a broad range of sports and has tons of useful information on everything nutrition that can be useful to just about anyone. It covers alot of unique as well as general topics. Join it up with a few more books like Nutrition Almanac and you'll be on your way to having whatever you need at your fingertips. This book is worth your time and money, although like myself, you might not realize the extent if its usefulness until you open it up and start putting things together.

Organization and topics:

Part I Nutritional Sources for Athletes
-energy nutrients, vitamins/minerals, fluids/electrolytes, and ergogenic aids

Part II Nutritional Aspects of Optimal Performance
-timing, absorption, oxygen, and inhibitors

Part III Factors Affecting Nutritional Needs
-travel, altitude, gender/age, and body comp/weight

Part IV Nutritional Strategies for Specific Energy Systems
-Metabolism for endurance/power (anaerobic/aerobic), and needs for both

Part V Nutritional Plans for Specific Sports
-Power/speed sports, endurance sports, and combined power/endurance sports.
on December 27, 2005
Great read and reference. Provides the right kind of authoritative benchmark behind the "whys" in planning nutrition for sports and then takes things a step further looking ahead to support planning the how and when to eat for peak performance. Detailed enough for the serious elite athlete yet even without having the science at my finger tips it provides an understandable base line for the weekend jock planning specific sports activity and wanting to do the correct thing...Ties together all those helpful "coach-isms" we all heard over the years and dispells several that were not afterall in our best interest. I'd like to have Dr. B available as my personal trainer.
on December 27, 2005
I have a challenge triathlon this summer with someone 20 years my junior and need all the help I can get! I am already using Dr. Benardot's advice in my training. After becoming frustrated with the plethora of books written by wannabes, I found it quite refreshing to read a factual, evidence-based sports nutrition book written by someone with Dr. Benardot's education and experience.
on March 23, 2008
I ordered this book based on an interview with the author that I heard on NPR. Overall it seemed like a very complete book, but it was far to technical and scientific for me to appreciate it. I gave it 3 stars not because it's not a good book - but it's too advanced for me to give it an accurate review. If you are looking for an easy non technical nutrition book - this isn't it. If you are looking for something a bit meatier, with plenty of scientific technical information - it may be the one you want.
on February 24, 2016
What they don't tell you in the description is that you need a degree in biology to understand what you're reading. Since I can't understand what they're talking about I can't comment on the information within its pages
on December 11, 2010
This is a reference book that examines many issues in sports nutrition from technical standpoints. And it covers a lot of ground, including comments on young and older athletes, female athletes, team and endurance athletes, and so on. It isn't a how-to book that offers a few simple instructions, but unlike such books, it steers clear of fads and hocus pocus.

But I wonder about how accurate it is. In some areas where I have expertise, it misses the mark. On hydration for endurance athletes it fails to challenge the marketing spewed out by the Gatorade Sports Science Institute. Admittedly, that's a challenge, but the real science needs to be disseminated to a popular audience. And Dr. Benardot is probably writing before the awareness became widespread that fructose is causing our epidemic of metabolic syndrome. If you take fructose out of sports drinks (remember: athletes in training drink A LOT), and recognize that sucrose (table sugar) is metabolically equivalent to high fructose corn syrup, you're not left with a lot of recipe options: just glucose and maltodextrin for carbohydrate. Ultra-endurance athletes have discovered the WHO oral rehydration salts (ORS) packets; they make pretty close to the optimum sports drink -- except that they taste too salty and not sweet enough for most folks or for commercial success. Benardot fails to mention ORS, that it is the closest thing to ideal hydration in terms of sodium, glucose, and osmolarity, or that the many commercial sports drinks fail to deliver what unbiased science has found to be optimal. (ORS is a fraction of the cost of Gatorade, too.)

On another point, briefly, Benardot discusses the effects of altitude, but he fails to deliver the punch line: live high, train low. Live high so your body will produce more RBCs and other adaptations to hypoxia. Train low to give your body plenty of oxygen to permit maximal stress to your system before you return to altitude for recovery and rest. Muscle, including heart muscle, grows mainly during recovery, not during exercise.

The book also fails to deliver the latest recommendations on vitamin D supplementation. And I found other points on which he could have done a better job.

So if the book didn't nail these topics, I suspect there are others. But if you want to do better and dig deeper, you'll probably have to read research papers, and that will cut into your training time :-). Otherwise, this encyclopedic overview of nutrition for athletes is the best technical reference and broad collection of wisdom that I'm aware of.
on March 5, 2012
This is an exceptional product! While I do not recommend it to everyone, I do recommend it to every serious athlete and any that are interested in nutrition. I originally purchased this book in High School in order to better understand how to fuel my body for sports competitions, it provided me with sound guidance which helped me to avoid unsafe dietary practices. I have since carefully reread it, thereby gaining a solid foundation of moderate, objective, nutritional knowledge that is allowing me to breeze through my Bachelor level nutrition classes.
Be warned this is a textbook so don't expect it to read like a magazine, reading the title will tell you that the material might be too ADVANCED for some. That said, this is as close to a complete reference of relevant, unbiased, sports nutrition knowledge I have ever seen, it should be the foundation of every sports nutrition library.
on April 10, 2007
Anyone concerned with proper nutrition should read this up-to-date reference guide. Both the beginning and advanced athlete will find much to learn.
on August 31, 2014
I had to buy this book for a class but it is a really good book with good information! I have kept it rather than sell it back so that i can use it in my high school classes!
on May 17, 2012
Awesome book! Great information provided in concise, easy to understand terms. Clearly explains all aspects of nutrition from a sports perspective!