Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 9, 2010
Advanced Web Metrics is an outstanding book. It covers from shallow to Deep Ocean and gives the necessary tools to navigate through waves, tempests and calm seas. And it shows the reader how to find islands of insights!

Brian Clifton describes techniques that will help you understand and improve your website using Google Analytics. He goes over very important concepts and questions that are usually misunderstood: Why Web Analytics is important & what are the available technologies? How Google Analytics works & how it deals with privacy? Which reports should you use & how to do it? How to ensure that your data is accurate & how to enhance your reports using advanced implementation techniques?

The book is not a theoretical read; it goes into real world tasks and shows the reader what he needs to know in order to succeed using Google Analytics. In addition to showing all there is to be shown on Google Analytics, he also provides some very useful examples on third party applications that use the Google Analytics API and out of the box integrations with other tools or sources of data (CRM, call tracking, Website Optimizer).

But the biggest quality of this book is the way Dr. Clifton approaches the subject. Even readers acquainted with Google Analytics and optimization techniques described in the book will find insights that will help them understand the subject deeper and organize the knowledge in their brains.
on August 6, 2010
This is one of the essential manuals you should have in your analytics toolkit, along with Avinash Kaushiks Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and Science of Customer Centricity 2.0 and Bryan Eisenberg's Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer

The title is a little misleading as the book spends a lot of time going through how to set up a basic analytics properly. Well maybe that is advanced for some people, because as Brian clearly and comprehensively illustrates, it's not as easy or simple as many people think.

For this information alone it is worth getting the book.

Other chapters on setting up ecommerce and campaign tracking, I would have thought were standard stuff, but again maybe they are advanced for some users.

Again, the book provides a lot of detail and examples of how to do this properly.

If you can't get your analytics set up properly after reading this book, well, you're not paying attention.

There is some advanced stuff on hacks and custom tagging towards the end.

I'm not complaining, I learned heaps that I didn't know that I didn't know.

As I said, it's a great book and an essential one, I just think the title is misleading.

Perhaps "Analytics: How to Do the Damn Stuff Right" would have been closer to the mark.
on April 28, 2010
I've already put into action some of the advanced tips in this book even though I haven't quite finished reading it yet which makes it an excellent investment. It covers strategy, implementation and real world usage in clear terms that are easy to follow. It should answer any question you have of Google Analytics, and in my opinion is more palatable than Google's own help section.

The real world examples are excellent, real situations that users will face explained in a manner that takes account of the business need, the roles effected and detailed implementation, report and analysis guides that work like a charm.

This will be one I use again and again
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2010
I am very glad to have bought this book. It is fantastic!
Yesterday I passed the google analytics individual qualification with 88% score thanks to the book of Brian Clifton and Google Analytics course online.
on June 2, 2010
In teaching Digital Marketing and specialising in Marketing Research I am always at a loss for teaching materials. Textbooks are outdated as quickly as they are published. Web metrics is a moving feast and the task is made harder in this specialist area. However it must be said that Google Analytics has transformed the sector. That being the case then a GA text is essential and this fits the bill perfectly. The quality seal is the publisher who has the confidence to publish an updated version. So yes, onto the RECOMMENDED READING list for Universities and professional qualifications.
on July 30, 2010
If you're new to Google Analtyics get this book. If you've been using Google Analytics for some time, get this book.

I bought this book a few months ago and it hasn't left my desk. It contains everything you need to know on Google Analytics from start to finish and explains everything in an easy to understand, step by step manner. The fact that it also gives you the example code every step of the way makes things so much easier to implement on your own site. It's helped sort out so many of the tracking issues on our site.

I'd definitely recommend this book.
on August 17, 2010
I found this book very useful. However, it is best for people who are familiar with the basics of web analytics and at least somewhat familiar with Google Analytics. This book is not a starter guide, though it does contain many helpful step-by-step instructions. Instead, it guides the reader to understand the richer, deeper data points one can get from Google Analytics. Along the way, the author points out the subleties that differentiate a person familiar with GA from an expert-level user.

For example, when setting profile filters, it is best practice to only set one include filter. Watch out for the reverse logic which means each data entry must match *every include filter*. An easy mistake to make. The book is loaded with little call out boxes that highlight these important points. This makes it easier to skim and find something you read and not remembered exactly where it was.

As a sidenote, I also own a Kindle, and while I love taking it with me when I travel, I find it harder to go back to find specific points (even with the search feature) than using the hard copy. I know own two copies of many analytics books (hard and soft copies) for this reason!
on August 24, 2010
This has been an excellent book in breath, even for someone that has used Google Analytics for 2 years. We started tracking offline activity (table tents, posters, newspaper ads) to our website through the use of vanity (or coded) URLs after reading this book. We also added Google Analytics filters by "Hostname" to include only traffic originating from our web server. Before that, we were also counting rogue traffic that wasn't from our web server.
on June 1, 2011
Brian Clifton's "Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics" is the fourth web metrics/analytics book I have read, the second with a singular focus on Google Analytics. It is certainly the best structured. It also avoids the repetitiveness that others have not. By best structured I mean there is a logical development to what you read with the progression of the four parts: measurement, reporting, implementation, and finally a real world focus of how to put it all together. I am an analyst, not a programmer. I am appreciative of Clifton's subtle placement of JavaScript samples that allowed me to skip them without any substantial loss in what I read. "Advanced Web Metrics" has pointed me in the right direction.
on June 26, 2010
Brian Clifton does an amazing job breaking down Google Analytics. Everything from simply implementing the GATC to advanced filters and segments. This book is an absolute must-have for anyone who wants to bring their knowledge of Google Analytics to the next level. It's easy to understand and read (uncommon for tech "how-to" books in my opinion) and provides real world scenarios with detailed instructions on how to overcome specific obstacles.

I'll be referring to this book often.